Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Coffee heads

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics, multimedia, and classified ads (Must be a contributing member to post any ads). No PWR. LANGUAGE: PG-13
Coffee heads
Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:16 pm
  • I just bought a grinder and a air roaster and I thought I'd try roasting and grinding my own coffee. I'm not a big drinker, but when I do, I like the best. My favorite cup is a kona chocolate macadamian nut, after buying some I looked at the price of their green beans which cost about half as much. It looks like alot of fun roasting my own coffee and I'm trying to understand the differance between the drying phaze, the mailard phaze and the cool down phaze.

Coffee on order: extra fany 100% kona,jamaican 100% blue mountain and four others from central America.
    Last edited by Chawker on Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Chawker
    NET Veteran

Re: Coffee heads
Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:46 pm
  • The only advice I could put forth is to make sure you freeze it when not in use on the coffee. Freezing the coffee maintains the flavor by a LOT. I have a baby grinder and have purchased beans a lot because I like the flavors. Kona seems to be a great flavored bean. I dont know about drying them or cooking them for processing. I am ignorant on that respect. Good luck in your endeavor and post more on your efforts.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:53 am
  • Likewise I know nothing about roasting but that's a hobby I could get into as I am a HUGE coffee lover. As Seahawkfan80 said, please keep us posted on your progress.
    hawksfansinceday1
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:36 am
  • Ok, I received my fresh roast SR 800 from roast master yesterday and roasted my first two rounds of coffee beans. It took about 15 minutes too roast 5 ozs. of coffee beans, My first batch was some beans from costa rico and my next batch was from Bolivia, the costa ricoian bean is just a standard coffee bean and the Boliviain has a nutty chocolate finish which I roasted a little bit darker. After cooling down the beans and letting the beans de-gas over nite I'm ready to grind and brew.

They smell heavenly! I'm just hoping that the flavor is as good as the smell. I'd say that this batch could be a light city roast.I'll do a coarse griding with my new burr griding and try it perked.

Its smells so good it gives me chills.

Cheers
    Last edited by Chawker on Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:07 am, edited 3 times in total.
    Chawker
    NET Veteran

Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:55 am
  • Wow! So far I'm impressed with the results. And I screwed up on grinding it, did a medium grind rather then a coarse grind. Oospy. Clean flavor, definite hint of chocolate and a clean after taste, way better then store bought coffee.

Next up will be a blend of fruity flavors, Panama Elida Estate central natural and Nicaragua Finca un Regaio de Dios which are a more fruity flavors. Nicaragua flavors honey, mango and pineapple and the Panama tropical fruit and blueberries.

Its going to be a couple of day before I roast those up. Very happy with my results.

Note: Never leave roaster unattended due to fire hazard.

Cheers
    Chawker
    NET Veteran

Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:53 pm
  • Thanks for the report. May look into doing this. Sounds like fun
    hawksfansinceday1
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:58 am
  • Old people.
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:23 pm
  • One thing tho...very important. Get a container of regular coffee and keep it available. Once in a while drink some of it to understand what you were having before you decided to jump to the next level. It is great to experience new stuff, but the memory of what took you there is important too.

A little story if I may. I did like Vegas a lot. Went to Sams town a few times when there. One time in the early 80s, I went there and bought a little baggy of breakfast blend coffee. I Loved it. I have gone back a few times and never see it again. But it tasted awesome at the time. In April I may go back to Sams Town and see if I was missing something and just missed the place they sell it. I have had other coffees and still want to retain that memory. Thank you for participating.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:21 pm
  • Im trying to cut out the creamer and sugar in my coffee. I've never liked the taste of coffee, however I also don't have a sweet tooth. My lack of a taste for coffee outweighs my lack of a sweet tooth, so I've been using creamer. I know this is bad for me so I've been trying to find a good coffee that is easily accessible that I can drink without creamer. Basically I'm looking for advice on a gateway coffee to become a coffee head.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:39 am
  • You could try a teaspoon of instant hot chocolate, its good for your circulation, or honey.
    Chawker
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:43 pm
  • Honey works wonders. My dad had to cut sugar and mom too. They use honey a LOT in their daily lives now as it is natural as a sweetener. They are both Diabetic.

Also, I learned when I was a wee lad that coffee has caffiene in it which saps your energy. Hence the reason I have taken it with sugar or some sort of sweetener. I need to keep up the energy level while sapping it from my body thru caffiene. I dont really like decaf.

Another option is taking some cappucino and use a teaspoon of it in your coffee. Flavor and minor amounts of sugary substance.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

It is currently Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:49 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE LOUNGE ]

Information