Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New TV, Movies and Some Broadcasts Look Off

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics, multimedia, and classified ads (Must be a contributing member to post any ads). No PWR. LANGUAGE: PG-13
  • Okay full disclosure, I am tech-challenged more or less. Especially when it comes to latest tech. So here's my dilemma. The wife played Santa and surprised me with a 67" flat screen Sony 4K TV. Um, yeah. Our TV before that was a 46".

(And despite the outcome, you had better believe Marshawn's leaping TD looked EPIC on my new big screen!!!)

We have Comcast Xfinity but our DVR box was a bit long in the tooth so I ordered their latest 4K box. Now, I realize most networks still don't broadcast in 4K so that wasn't a big deal to me, I just wanted the latest box to go with this shiny big ass new TV with 4K capability. For the record, I did see what 4K looked like when I streamed some YouTube 4K videos...Pretty cool.

So here's where I need the help. With this new TV, some scenes in some movies or shows look too good. As in, 60FPS weird. Now, I know what 60FPS looks like versus non 60FPS because I have mini cams for my RC aircraft that can film in both. When I film in normal 1060i it looks normal and fine. When I switch to 1080/60FPS it looks extra crisp and has a weird ultra real look to it. Perfect for filming RC airplanes but when I see that same effect in movies and major network shows it seems really weird to me.

So I am hoping someone here can tell me what I need to do to fix the issue, if it's even possible. I love the overall HD look of most the shows but some of them look weird like the scenes are filmed with a civilian-grade cam with 60FPS.

I hope this makes sense to someone...Help me Obi Wan....
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• 60 FPS weirdness is only not being used to it. As a PC gamer who has had a 120Hz monitor for many years, I must implore you to try and get used to it. We've been so accustomed to craptastic 30 FPS TV and film content with motion blur to "fake" being smooth that we're just not used to seeing things at 60 FPS with motion blur, which looks a LOT smoother...almost "fake".

That being said, go through all the advanced options on your TV's settings and list everything that's in there. There should be a motion smoothing feature of some kind that you can disable which may help, but if you give us the full list, I might identify something else you can alter.

That being said, part deux; you should look at this as a temporary measure until you get used to native 60 FPS content and the "look" it has; but that look gets exaggerated by certain post-processing effects built into many of today's TVs.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

• Thanks Roland, I will keep digging into the advanced settings...I don't mind 60FPS when watching regular shows, but it throws me off when watching movies...I guess I miss that cinematic feel to the film.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• Assuming you find a way to mitigate it, then after you've settled into the new TV for a while, see if you can get used to it for films. "Cinematic feel" is just a marketing term that has been used to hide the fact that limitations in technology forced a stupidly low frame rate and we all were just used to it because it's all we ever knew. It'll go away eventually, but it's a very long process to change in peoples' minds, lol.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

It is currently Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:03 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE LOUNGE ]

Information