Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jeopardy Greatest of All Time.

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics, multimedia, and classified ads (Must be a contributing member to post any ads). No PWR. LANGUAGE: PG-13
Jeopardy Greatest of All Time.
Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:06 pm
  • Starting now.

Brad Rutter vs. Ken Jennings vs. James Holzhauer.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Re: Jeopardy Greatest of All Time.
Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:33 pm
  • First half of game 1 goes to Ken Jennings. $45,000 following Final Jeopardy. James Holzhauer is second with $33,200. Brad Rutter trailing with $10,400.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:06 pm
  • Jennings takes game 1, $63,400 to $63,200 for Holzhauer. Rutter missed 3 daily doubles and the second final, just killed him. He finished a distant 3rd at $10,400. However, the wins are what matter, so the slate wipes clean tomorrow.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:54 am
  • Dang I missed it, when is the second game?
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:07 pm
  • Largent80 wrote:Dang I missed it, when is the second game?

It's airing exclusively on ABC in primetime Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday this week and potentially Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday next week. It starts at 8pm here in Washington.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:56 pm
  • If Holzhauer could've gotten a Daily Double or 2 he'd have won. He got none last night and still almost won the day/match.
    hawksfansinceday1
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:09 pm
  • hawksfansinceday1 wrote:If Holzhauer could've gotten a Daily Double or 2 he'd have won. He got none last night and still almost won the day/match.

Ken doubled up James before the final in part 1. If Jennings had wagered more in either final, he would've destroyed Holzhauer. Holzhauer maxed his wagers in both finals, whereas Jennings wagered only a little over 1/3 ($11,800 of $33,200) of his total in part 1, and just enough to beat Holzhauer for the day in part 2 ($6,200). If Jennings had done the same as Holzhauer and maxed his wagers, he would've won by $27,600 ($90,800 to $63,200). What-ifs mean nothing.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:42 pm
  • Maulbert wrote:
    hawksfansinceday1 wrote:If Holzhauer could've gotten a Daily Double or 2 he'd have won. He got none last night and still almost won the day/match.

Ken doubled up James before the final in part 1. If Jennings had wagered more in either final, he would've destroyed Holzhauer. Holzhauer maxed his wagers in both finals, whereas Jennings wagered only a little over 1/3 ($11,800 of $33,200) of his total in part 1, and just enough to beat Holzhauer for the day in part 2 ($6,200). If Jennings had done the same as Holzhauer and maxed his wagers, he would've won by $27,600 ($90,800 to $63,200). What-ifs mean nothing.

But the point is by landing on the Daily Doubles he had enough cushion to do as you mentioned. Daily Doubles are a HUGE factor in who wins particularly in a game like this where the players are basically evenly matched in terms of knowledge and buzzer speed. They're not near as likely to be able to dominate the board while searching for the DDs. It's much more based on luck of the draw.
    Last edited by hawksfansinceday1 on Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    hawksfansinceday1
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:14 pm
  • hawksfansinceday1 wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:
    hawksfansinceday1 wrote:If Holzhauer could've gotten a Daily Double or 2 he'd have won. He got none last night and still almost won the day/match.

But the point is by landing on the Daily Doubles he had enough cushion to do as you mentioned.

My point is, he is clearly a match for James. Assuming James got one of those daily doubles ignores the fact that Ken did. Brad struggled in wagers, which killed him. It's true James kept it close, but that's indicative of Ken's and James' respective wagering styles, not some phantom luck that kept James down.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:18 pm
  • Maulbert wrote:
    hawksfansinceday1 wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:

But the point is by landing on the Daily Doubles he had enough cushion to do as you mentioned.

My point is, he is clearly a match for James. Assuming James got one of those daily doubles ignores the fact that Ken did. Brad struggled in wagers, which killed him. It's true James kept it close, but that's indicative of Ken's and James' respective wagering styles, not some phantom luck that kept James down.

Disagree as I edited and outlined above. Ken is indeed clearly a match for James though, no doubt. Brad looked out of his element.
    hawksfansinceday1
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:20 pm
  • So here's a question for you Maulbert, were you watching the night Jennings finally lost? I ask because I'm convinced to this day he tanked on purpose because he was tired of the attention at the time. The Final he missed was east AF, not the kind of question he'd miss.

hawksfansinceday1
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:25 pm
  • hawksfansinceday1 wrote:So here's a question for you Maulbert, were you watching the night Jennings finally lost? I ask because I'm convinced to this day he tanked on purpose because he was tired of the attention at the time. The Final he missed was east AF, not the kind of question he'd miss.

I remember being surprised, but I didn't remember the exact question. It's been over 15 years. He might've tanked. I know the woman that beat him was no great player.

Edit-If he did throw it, the Coryat score doesn't indicate it. It was below average.

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=62
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:11 pm
  • James takes game 2, 82,414 to 57,400. It was close into the second final, but Ken missed it, and he didn't wager much. I think since James already had the lead, he felt his wager only mattered if James faltered. Brad just had a terrible Double Jeopardy round in part 2 and kept losing money, forcing him out of Final Jeopardy. He finished with 10,800. I think the most surprising aspect of this tournament to me is how poorly Brad has performed. Easily his worst run. I hope he can turn it around and make a game of it.

Well, we're now guaranteed a game 4 next Tuesday. 1 for James, 1 for Ken.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:33 am
  • None of the 3 knew where Steve Largent went to college, costing Brad and Ken each $1000 and James didn't even try to answer. I shouted "What is Tulsa" at the screen like 5 times. Wife said, "They can't hear you hon". :D

I feel as sorry for Brad as one can feel for a guy that's made 4 1/2 million dollars playing Jeopardy. He's getting smoked by the other two.
    hawksfansinceday1
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:11 pm
  • Jennings takes game 3 in a runaway, 67,600 to 33,692 for Holzhauer and 23,467 for Rutter. All three went all-in in the first final and doubled their scores, with Jennings holding a 24,000 point lead on Holzhauer, making part 2 largely a hang-on situation for Ken. They all biffed the second final, securing an easy second win for Jennings.

I was glad to see Rutter start to shake off the rust, particularly during double jeopardy in part 2. Hopefully, he can come back to take a game next Tuesday.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:38 am
  • Holy $h!t.

Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:55 am
  • When I was on "The Weakest Link" back in 2001 I got (non-unanimously) voted out in the first round, which was my greatest fear! It was still a great experience, and the producers etc emphasised everyone had done well just to appear on the show. I got a free flight to Melbourne and back, and was put up in a very nice hotel with dinner and breakfast. It was quite a gruelling selection night, about 3 months before the actual show.

The first question I got was ridiculously easy The second question I would have possibly got if I hadn't panicked... "What 'John' starred in the movie Pulp Fiction?" I've never seen it, but I could have made a semi-educated guess. But the third question I had no idea of, as it involved a singer I'd never heard of called Eartha Kitt (sp?)

I justifiably got thrown out, and copped flak, but I gave a decent amount back in the mini "interview" after I'd done the Walk of Shame. It's a lot harder in that studio than sitting in front of your own TV!
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:04 am
  • Aussie Seahawk wrote:When I was on "The Weakest Link" back in 2001 I got (non-unanimously) voted out in the first round, which was my greatest fear! It was still a great experience, and the producers etc emphasised everyone had done well just to appear on the show. I got a free flight to Melbourne and back, and was put up in a very nice hotel with dinner and breakfast. It was quite a gruelling selection night, about 3 months before the actual show.

The first question I got was ridiculously easy The second question I would have possibly got if I hadn't panicked... "What 'John' starred in the movie Pulp Fiction?" I've never seen it, but I could have made a semi-educated guess. But the third question I had no idea of, as it involved a singer I'd never heard of called Eartha Kitt (sp?)

I justifiably got thrown out, and copped flak, but I gave a decent amount back in the mini "interview" after I'd done the Walk of Shame. It's a lot harder in that studio than sitting in front of your own TV!

You've never even HEARD of Eartha Kitt?!? She sang Santa Baby and played Catwoman on the 60's Batman series!

John Travolta was in Pulp Fiction. Worth a watch. One of the most influential films of the '90s.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:32 am
  • Maulbert wrote:Holy $h!t.

This is hilarious.
    These guys are (were) having fun. It's great to see.
    Jennings has got this. I will say this for Holzhauer though, he's changed the way people play the game. But Jennings is just a bit better.
    hawksfansinceday1
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:11 am

Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:14 pm
  • hawksfansinceday1 wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:Holy $h!t.

This is hilarious.
    Jennings has got this. I will say this for Holzhauer though, he's changed the way people play the game. But Jennings is just a bit better.

Oh, I agree it's funny. I just didn't expect it from Ken.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:06 pm
  • Maulbert wrote:
    Aussie Seahawk wrote:When I was on "The Weakest Link" back in 2001 I got (non-unanimously) voted out in the first round, which was my greatest fear! It was still a great experience, and the producers etc emphasised everyone had done well just to appear on the show. I got a free flight to Melbourne and back, and was put up in a very nice hotel with dinner and breakfast. It was quite a gruelling selection night, about 3 months before the actual show.

You've never even HEARD of Eartha Kitt?!? She sang Santa Baby and played Catwoman on the 60's Batman series!

John Travolta was in Pulp Fiction. Worth a watch. One of the most influential films of the '90s.

chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:23 pm
  • Maulbert wrote:
    hawksfansinceday1 wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:Holy $h!t.

This is hilarious.

Oh, I agree it's funny. I just didn't expect it from Ken.

No I wouldn't have either. Not at all
    hawksfansinceday1
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:45 am
  • Maulbert wrote:You've never even HEARD of Eartha Kitt?!? She sang Santa Baby and played Catwoman on the 60's Batman series! John Travolta was in Pulp Fiction. Worth a watch. One of the most influential films of the '90s.

No, never heard of her. Never heard of "Santa Baby" (I hate all Xmas songs, {{{shudder}}}). I googled her a few years down the track, and she sounds like a spoiled cat. I didn't have much access to a TV until 1972, and my parents banned comics. Not that I cared, I find "super heroes" stuff completely irrelevant.

Yes, I will try it, but he's called Johnny Revolta here. Sort of like Tommy Cruise. Bloody wankers!

But, I do realise Pulp Fiction is highly regarded, so I will try to watch it one day. I'm a very lazy movie-watcher with a very intolerant attention span; that is probably my loss sometimes.
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:27 am
  • Who is the GHOST? (Greatest Host Of Syndicated TV)
    PAT SAJ

ALEX TREBEK
    Palmegranite
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:01 am
  • Palmegranite wrote:Who is the GHOST? (Greatest Host Of Syndicated TV)
    PAT SAJ

ALEX TREBEK

I loved that
    hawksfansinceday1
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:04 pm
  • Palmegranite wrote:Who is the GHOST? (Greatest Host Of Syndicated TV)
    PAT SAJ

ALEX TREBEK

"I wish you'd wagered more money."
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:44 pm
  • I think Jennings has it. A 31,000 point lead going into part 2 of game 4. James has to have his best game to turn it around.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:18 pm
  • James almost had a comeback for the ages, but he missed final jeopardy and lost all 44,000 points, allowing Ken to secure the win and the championship. Good games, though I was stunned Brad struggled so much.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:18 am
  • Yeah Brad was never in it. Ken was just a bit smarter and a bit quicker on the buzzer than James. Very impressive and a well deserved win. A ton of fun to watch.
    hawksfansinceday1
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:36 pm
  • hawksfansinceday1 wrote:Yeah Brad was never in it. Ken was just a bit smarter and a bit quicker on the buzzer than James. Very impressive and a well deserved win. A ton of fun to watch.

In a way, you could consider this a win for James. In game 1, Ken won close by playing somewhat conservatively, and he tried to do it again in game 2 and James practically ran over him like a freight train. I think that pushed his killer instinct into high gear, and he beat James in the last 2 games using his own style. I truly believe James brought the best out in Ken in a way Brad never could, for some reason.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:55 am
  • Maulbert wrote:
    hawksfansinceday1 wrote:Yeah Brad was never in it. Ken was just a bit smarter and a bit quicker on the buzzer than James. Very impressive and a well deserved win. A ton of fun to watch.

In a way, you could consider this a win for James. In game 1, Ken won close by playing somewhat conservatively, and he tried to do it again in game 2 and James practically ran over him like a freight train. I think that pushed his killer instinct into high gear, and he beat James in the last 2 games using his own style. I truly believe James brought the best out in Ken in a way Brad never could, for some reason.

Yeah I agree and I read a quote from Jennings today supporting your point where he said James changed the way the game was played and that he knew he had to be highly aggressive and bet large like James did in order to be able to beat him, what he obviously did.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyl ... story.html
    hawksfansinceday1
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

It is currently Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:17 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE LOUNGE ]

Information