Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Aussie Bush Fires

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics, multimedia, and classified ads (Must be a contributing member to post any ads). No PWR. LANGUAGE: PG-13
Aussie Bush Fires
Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:22 pm
  • Never watch the news and try not to stay up to date on current events but was amazed on just how bad these fires are..the loss of homes life and wildlife is staggering with no end in sight. I know we have some aussie members on the board and hope you are all well and not in danger.
    Cyrus12
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Re: Aussie Bush Fires
Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:29 pm
  • Aussie fires superimposed on a map of the US

Scary impressive.
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:30 pm
  • Ya that is crazy ^
    Cyrus12
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:33 pm
  • I heard reports that there has been some cooling and some rain. You'd think anything would help, but they probably need about 1-2 weeks worth to really help. And then you get floods and mudslides.

I think Mother Earth is kind of pissed.
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:49 pm
  • Yep and many were purposely set...they should be burned at the stake..literally.
    Cyrus12
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:55 pm
  • That is crazy to think about, considering how much raw land is getting burned...geez.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:12 pm
  • I have heard reports up to a billion animals have lost their lives so far. I country known for its rare biodiversity is getting absolutely devastated. It hurts my heart to think about it.
    MrThortan
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:14 pm
  • MrThortan wrote:I have heard reports up to a billion animals have lost their lives so far. I country known for its rare biodiversity is getting absolutely devastated. It hurts my heart to think about it.

The video clip of a burning koala bear was terrible...could only imagine the rest..
    Cyrus12
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:30 pm
  • sutz wrote:I heard reports that there has been some cooling and some rain. You'd think anything would help, but they probably need about 1-2 weeks worth to really help. And then you get floods and mudslides.

I think Mother Earth is kind of pissed.

It's very sad to see what is happening over there. It would be good to get some cooler weather and some rain so it can calm down. It's real sad for the Koala's. I guess a lot of them got killed off or hurt. People are trying to help them and rescue them and take them to animal hospitals and care centers.
    SanDiego49er
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:56 am
  • The fires are simply terrible. I am currently in no immediate danger here in Adelaide (middle south coast of the continent), but it has been nearly 43C/104F at my place today, and the sky looks like Mordor, from all the smoke from Kangaroo Island, which is not far away. I expect to see a freaking Nazgul fly over any minute.

Over a third of the island has been destroyed; approximately 160,000 hectares (1,600 square km, or 640 square miles). Two people have lost their lives, and many houses destroyed. Farms, outbuildings, fencing, not to mention livestock in countless numbers. The wildlife has been decimated; possibly half the koala population of around 50,000 alone. No-one knows yet.

Many rare and endemic species in Australia, yes. It is a tragedy beyond belief, even without counting the human cost.

There’s a cool change coming in, with a small amount of rain, but the associated wind changes are balancing things on a knife-edge on the island, and threatening to spread the fires to the unburnt eastern region. Most of the island has been evacuated. Kangaroo Island is (in)famous for wind. The coastal vegetation all leans to the northeast.

There’s been fires in the nearby Adelaide Hills, about 30 kilometres away/18 miles. Adelaide is a city of about 1.3m people. I’m about 20km/12 miles from the city centre, and there is a large patch of grassland with some trees less than a mile east from me. We don’t get strong easterlies often (prevailing wind is southwest, or northerly when hot)… but last night we had strong easterly gully winds; I live in the foothills where it can be very windy.

The very worst fires have been in New South Wales and Victoria. We’ve been engulfed in smoke haze for days to some extent, from unusual easterly winds, and the smoke has reached New Zealand. Visibility in Sydney and surroundings, and Canberra, and eastern Victoria has been terrible, with corresponding smoke pollution.

I’m OVER this summer, and it isn’t chronologically half over yet. The danger reaches to mid April, at least, in some areas.
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:25 pm
  • So what is up with them people that started fires, I heard they started like at least 24 different ones, kind of hope they put them in a pool with those jelly fish you have down there that sting and you have a excruciating pain experience and it can be repeated over and over.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:39 pm
  • Aussie Seahawk wrote:The fires are simply terrible. I am currently in no immediate danger here in Adelaide (middle south coast of the continent), but it has been nearly 43C/104F at my place today, and the sky looks like Mordor, from all the smoke from Kangaroo Island, which is not far away. I expect to see a freaking Nazgul fly over any minute.

Over a third of the island has been destroyed; approximately 160,000 hectares (1,600 square km, or 640 square miles). Two people have lost their lives, and many houses destroyed. Farms, outbuildings, fencing, not to mention livestock in countless numbers. The wildlife has been decimated; possibly half the koala population of around 50,000 alone. No-one knows yet.

Many rare and endemic species in Australia, yes. It is a tragedy beyond belief, even without counting the human cost.

There’s a cool change coming in, with a small amount of rain, but the associated wind changes are balancing things on a knife-edge on the island, and threatening to spread the fires to the unburnt eastern region. Most of the island has been evacuated. Kangaroo Island is (in)famous for wind. The coastal vegetation all leans to the northeast.

There’s been fires in the nearby Adelaide Hills, about 30 kilometres away/18 miles. Adelaide is a city of about 1.3m people. I’m about 20km/12 miles from the city centre, and there is a large patch of grassland with some trees less than a mile east from me. We don’t get strong easterlies often (prevailing wind is southwest, or northerly when hot)… but last night we had strong easterly gully winds; I live in the foothills where it can be very windy.

The very worst fires have been in New South Wales and Victoria. We’ve been engulfed in smoke haze for days to some extent, from unusual easterly winds, and the smoke has reached New Zealand. Visibility in Sydney and surroundings, and Canberra, and eastern Victoria has been terrible, with corresponding smoke pollution.

I’m OVER this summer, and it isn’t chronologically half over yet. The danger reaches to mid April, at least, in some areas.

I went through this 2 years ago but not nearly to what you peeps are enduring and obviously way different climate. I almost lost my home but mother nature decided it wasn't our time. The smoke and anxiety do a number on you. Keep care down there!
    Cyrus12
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:53 pm
  • So, so incredibly sad for all involved, both human and wildlife.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:42 pm
  • Cyrus12 wrote:
    MrThortan wrote:I have heard reports up to a billion animals have lost their lives so far. I country known for its rare biodiversity is getting absolutely devastated. It hurts my heart to think about it.

The video clip of a burning koala bear was terrible...could only imagine the rest..

No sympathy for koala bears or any animal that perished. They chose to live there.
    pehawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:43 pm
  • pehawk wrote:
    Cyrus12 wrote:
    MrThortan wrote:I have heard reports up to a billion animals have lost their lives so far. I country known for its rare biodiversity is getting absolutely devastated. It hurts my heart to think about it.

No sympathy for koala bears or any animal that perished. They chose to live there.

Wow!
    Cyrus12
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:47 am
  • pehawk wrote:No sympathy for koala bears or any animal that perished. They chose to live there.

troll.jpg
    troll.jpg (179.52 KiB) Viewed 1449 times
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:54 pm
  • sutz wrote:Aussie fires superimposed on a map of the US

Scary impressive.

They're quite bad, but that's absolutely fake news that's already been debunked. In fact, ABC News deleted the tweet with the map that claimed this. (That map entirely covers all major cities in Australia and miles around them, and they have most definitely not gone up in smoke.)

To put it in perspective, 25 people have died in the Australia fires now. 86 in just the Camp Fire in 2018 alone. Almost 2,000 homes lost, compared to over 14,000 homes lost in the Camp Fire.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:13 pm
  • Aussie Seahawk wrote:
    pehawk wrote:No sympathy for koala bears or any animal that perished. They chose to live there.

troll.jpg

Koala's have the smallest brain to body ratio in the animal kingdom. They only eat one stupid leaf from one particular stupid tree. They're literally rapists.

Screw koalas. They're non-evolving little burdens. I'm thrilled they're all literally dying in a fire.
    Last edited by KitsapGuy on Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Reason: Masked words are not allowed in the main forums. Even with the word filtering. Any words not allowed before are still not allowed.
    pehawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:16 pm
  • Jville
    * NET Alumni *

Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:20 pm
  • It's a sad deal, but also more proof of how important proper forest managememt truly is.
    Ambrose83
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:15 am
  • Aussie Seahawk wrote:The fires are simply terrible. I am currently in no immediate danger here in Adelaide (middle south coast of the continent), but it has been nearly 43C/104F at my place today, and the sky looks like Mordor, from all the smoke from Kangaroo Island, which is not far away. I expect to see a freaking Nazgul fly over any minute.

How do you get to be an Aussie Seahawk?
    SanDiego49er
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:53 am
  • SanDiego49er wrote:How do you get to be an Aussie Seahawk?

I don't understand, sorry. Please explain!
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:10 am
  • pehawk wrote:Koala's have the smallest brain to body ratio in the animal kingdom. They only eat one stupid leaf from one particular stupid tree. They're literally rapists.
    Screw koalas. They're non-evolving little burdens. I'm thrilled they're all literally dying in a fire.

Sigh... it is very hard to take anyone seriously when they don't understand the apostrophe. Your second plural (koalas) was correct, so why initially stray to "koala's"? You only use an apostrophe to denote the genitive case (possession) as in, for instance "the koala's fur" or "the koalas' fur" if there is more than one. Plural... no apostrophe. I don't know how this abomination has become so endemic in written English.

Now, I actually have to agree with your biology lesson above. The koalas were introduced to Kangaroo Island 100 years ago, for some reason. There has been controversy about proposed culls, because they indeed strip trees bare when their population is excessive. Their phenol-addled metabolism indeed makes them mind-bogglingly stupid.

Much as I bristle at your delivery style, you're correct here.
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:21 am
  • Aussie Seahawk wrote:
    pehawk wrote:Koala's have the smallest brain to body ratio in the animal kingdom. They only eat one stupid leaf from one particular stupid tree. They're literally rapists.

Sigh... it is very hard to take anyone seriously when they don't understand the apostrophe. Your second plural (koalas) was correct, so why initially stray to "koala's"? You only use an apostrophe to denote the genitive case (possession) as in, for instance "the koala's fur" or "the koalas' fur" if there is more than one. Plural... no apostrophe. I don't know how this abomination has become so endemic in written English.

Now, I actually have to agree with your biology lesson above. The koalas were introduced to Kangaroo Island 100 years ago, for some reason. There has been controversy about proposed culls, because they indeed strip trees bare when their population is excessive. Their phenol-addled metabolism indeed makes them mind-bogglingly stupid.

Attachments
    61jg24EV8vL._AC_SY679_.jpg
    61jg24EV8vL._AC_SY679_.jpg (44.25 KiB) Viewed 1365 times
    pehawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:43 am
  • chris98251 wrote:So what is up with them people that started fires, I heard they started like at least 24 different ones, kind of hope they put them in a pool with those jelly fish you have down there that sting and you have a excruciating pain experience and it can be repeated over and over.

Hear hear! I've put a Billy Connolly video clip in The Shack (for language reasons). He talks about dangerous Australian wildlife, including the sea wasps (box jellyfish: "stingers"), near the end. Absolutey hilarious.
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:55 am
  • pehawk wrote:
    Aussie Seahawk wrote:
    pehawk wrote:Koala's have the smallest brain to body ratio in the animal kingdom. They only eat one stupid leaf from one particular stupid tree. They're literally rapists.

*stupid troll doll picture*

Ah yes, the Australian is trolling in the thread about Australian stuff. Brilliant!
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:19 am
  • The fires on Kangaroo Island are out, but of course it has been absolutely ravaged. There's a massive campaign to promote tourist etc businesses there which ARE still open. We're hoping to go there in the winter.

One small silver lining of the fires is it is now possible to seriously attempt to entirely eradicate feral pigs and cats from the entire island. Feral goats were eradicated after fires in 2007, which I didn't even know. There's no foxes (or rabbits), and free range egg farms abound, with fantastic lifestyles for the hens (ubiquitously called "chooks" here); no more than 750 birds per hectare (2.5 acres).

https://www.kieggs.com.au/
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:30 pm

Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:23 pm
  • Yeah, hate to see that. Dangerous job. My heart goes out to families and friends.
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:43 pm
  • Me too - a terrible tragedy. It must be very difficult to fly over fires, and of course very dangerous.
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:24 pm

• ........................ the growing magnitude of these violent and explosive fires are created by the same conditions as the recent California fires. In particular excessive fuel on the forest floor due to decades of excessive suppression of natural fires combined with decades of poor forest management.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:45 pm
  • Jville
    * NET Alumni *

Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:01 pm
  • The fires are extinguished in South Australia, but still rage in parts of the east coast area, particularly near Canberra.

It is disgustingly humid in Adelaide today, which is mercifully extremely rare. It is about 35C/95F and 50% humidity; horribly subtropical. Rain is predicted across the State, which is incredibly welcome. Adelaide is forecast to have a 95% probability of 5-20mm today (0.2-0.8") and 10-35mm tomorrow (0.4-1.4") tomorrow, with possible heavier falls, particularly under possible thunderstorms.

Some outback areas are forecast to get much more. It is well known that sudden heavy rains, sometimes quite extreme by our standards, can punctuate (if not break) periods of drought. I've checked and cleaned our roof gutters thoroughly, so I'm very prepared.

We've had expensive-to-run (our electricity prices are allegedly the highest in the world!) refrigerated aircons replaced by a ducted evaporative system, about five years ago. Today, it was useless as an active cooler in the humidity, but this is I think the very first time we've had to actually retreat to one room, and have one refrigerated unit running. This is an old (over 25 years) reverse-cycle aircon which we use in winter as our only heating source; we never heat any of the rest of the house.

Not a drop of rain yet, but it's beginning to show on the radar, maybe 30 minutes away - however it looks only patchy so far.

Parts of Kangaroo Island, half of which was burned out, have received 40mm/1.6" already, but I have no idea if the burnt western half has received good falls.

This poor parched continent desperately needs a good drenching, and follow-ups. However, this can very quickly lead to flooding in some areas. We're in the foothills on a gentle slope, but the vast majority of Adelaide is totally flat, so local flooding is a risk there.

Hopefully I'll be storm and rain watching fairly soon!
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:41 am
  • I live in the Bay of Plenty in New Zealand, 1500 miles from Australia. We live a couple of hundred metres up a hill and have a view over the bay and the air is still so hazy from the bushfire smoke that you can barely see the things we can usually see clearly about 30 miles away. The sunrises have been amazing though, if someone wants to look for an upside.
    Hawkspur
    NET Veteran

Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:21 am
  • Hawkspur, I have visited Tauranga on a cruise ship (2013) and "did" the Hobbiton trip from there (I think, may have been from Napier) - the Bay of Plenty is simply gorgeous, and sorry we've polluted you with smoke haze.

I remember reading historical records of amazing sunsets after the deadly Krakatoa volcanic eruption of 1883.

Simply love New Zealand! Rivals on the sports field, and fast friends off it.
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:02 am
  • We used to say the same $h!t about the smog in Southern California. "Yeah, it sucks, but hey we get gorgeous sunsets."

:laugh:
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:04 am
  • I remember the social we had to end high school, in 1976, before our final exams (I suppose you'd call it a "prom" but we don't have anything so formal) and the band said "this number is quite a heavy one"... and they played "It Never Rains in Southern California."

I laughed until I stopped. Loved a lot of the country lifestyle, especially escaping boarding school in Adelaide, but not the music deprivation.
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:09 pm
  • Aussie Seahawk wrote:Hawkspur, I have visited Tauranga on a cruise ship (2013) and "did" the Hobbiton trip from there (I think, may have been from Napier) - the Bay of Plenty is simply gorgeous, and sorry we've polluted you with smoke haze.

I remember reading historical records of amazing sunsets after the deadly Krakatoa volcanic eruption of 1883.

Simply love New Zealand! Rivals on the sports field, and fast friends off it.

Yeah, how dare you ruin guys ruin my view!

Seriously though, have you guys had the rain they've had up in Queensland etc? And if so, are the fired out? It still hasn't rained here yet this year! Which would be great - it's been a fantastic summer - aside from the fact that we grow a lot of food that needs to be watered and we're reliant on rain water to fill our tank, otherwise it's $350 to get 10000 litres delivered. Fingers crossed it rains soon as if I'm spending $350 on anything, I'd prefer it not to be water!

Yeah, Hobbiton's about 40 minutes from Tauranga. I haven't been there but my family all went and had a great time. How many towns do you stop at on the cruise? I lived in Sydney for a couple of years and had a great time. I also have quite a few friends in Melbourne and Margaret River. I think i'll be heading to Melbourne for a long weekend in November. Which part of Australia do you live in?
    Hawkspur
    NET Veteran

It is currently Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:09 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE LOUNGE ]

Information