Do Not Sell My Personal Information

RANDOM:questions, trivia, and amusements.

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics, multimedia, and classified ads (Must be a contributing member to post any ads). No PWR. LANGUAGE: PG-13
  • If you’re any thing like me, occasionally something pops up that you should know the answer to, actually you know that you know it but can’t drag it out of the depths of your mind.

Google really isn’t any fun, right?

Sometimes you hear some trivia that catches you unaware and intrigued.

Maybe you just stumbled upon something off the wall that amused you.

“RANDOM” stuff in general.

This is the thread for us.

I’ll start off with something that’s been bugging me all morning.
    Again, google is no fun IMHO.

There is an older movie thriller (possibly horror) where the villain had some huge Russian boars that he would feed people to.
    IIRC the villain ended up being eaten by his own pigs.

Does this sound familiar to you?
    I’m not trying to stump anyone, I’m trying to figure it out, without using the google.

I can’t get “Red Dragon”(Silence of the Lambs) out of my mind for some reason but that doesn’t really fit my memory (what’s left of it)

If you can’t answer, feel free to load up some other off the wall (random) crap.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

• pmedic920 wrote:There is an older movie thriller (possibly horror) where the villain had some huge Russian boars that he would feed people to.
    IIRC the villain ended up being eaten by his own pigs.

Does this sound familiar to you?
    I’m not trying to stump anyone, I’m trying to figure it out, without using the google.

I can’t get “Red Dragon”(Silence of the Lambs) out of my mind for some reason but that doesn’t really fit my memory (what’s left of it)

If you can’t answer, feel free to load up some other off the wall (random) crap.

That definitely sounds familiar, but I can't place it either.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• They did that in Deadwood, the HBO TV series. That's not the only source I'm sure, though.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

• Brick Top alludes to it in Snatch..

"Hence the expression, as greedy as a pig."
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

• RolandDeschain wrote:They did that in Deadwood, the HBO TV series. That's not the only source I'm sure, though.

I’m aware but that’s not what I’m looking for.

I remember the scene, I just can’t place the show/movie.

It was dark, wet, huge timber enclosure. Mean, crazy, huge Russian boars with scary tusks.

Guy fell, or got tossed into the enclosure and eaten.

It’s a very foggy memory for me but one I should easily recall.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

• pmedic920 wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:They did that in Deadwood, the HBO TV series. That's not the only source I'm sure, though.

It was dark, wet, huge timber enclosure. Mean, crazy, huge Russian boars with scary tusks.

That's probably Hannibal.. or whatever silence of the lambs prequel that was
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

• And just so this tread remains a bunch of “random crap”

Here’s some trivia that I’ve always enjoyed.

Living here in the Houston area, when I speak of Seattle I almost always here about the “rain”.

Houston Texas gets more annual rain fall than Seattle Washington

:{)
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

• Uncle Si wrote:
    pmedic920 wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:They did that in Deadwood, the HBO TV series. That's not the only source I'm sure, though.

That's probably Hannibal.. or whatever silence of the lambs prequel that was

Like I said “red dragon” is sticking in my mind but it doesn’t seem quite right.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

• pmedic920 wrote:And just so this tread remains a bunch of “random crap”

Living here in the Houston area, when I speak of Seattle I almost always here about the “rain”.

Lots of places do but we spread it out over a much longer period - hence the Seattle drizzle.
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

• DomeHawk wrote:
    pmedic920 wrote:And just so this tread remains a bunch of “random crap”

Lots of places do but we spread it out over a much longer period - hence the Seattle drizzle.

Right. How much should not be confused with how often. Also.. while Seattle isn't exactly high on that, Snoqualmie, about 30 miles east, gets well over 50 inches.

Whole east side of the state is a desert. It's a unique region with lots of factors that greatly impact it's weather.

The only state with all 7 biomes, I believe.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

• DomeHawk wrote:

We call it Oregon mist...because it missed Oregon and hit us. :mrgreen:
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• pmedic920 wrote:And just so this tread remains a bunch of “random crap”

A lot of cities do. The problem with Seattle's rain is that it's actually just light misting, but it's pretty much constant for a 3rd of each year, and on-again-off-again half the time for another 1-2 months on each side of that 3rd - and you can go literally three months straight sometimes without seeing the sun even once.

It gets old...
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

• RolandDeschain wrote:

A lot of cities do. The problem with Seattle's rain is that it's actually just light misting, but it's pretty much constant for a 3rd of each year, and on-again-off-again half the time for another 1-2 months on each side of that 3rd - and you can go literally three months straight sometimes without seeing the sun even once.

It gets old...

My last winter/spring on the West side, it seemed like the only days we would get sun was when I was working (M-F, 9-5). As soon as I was off the clouds would come back. Felt like I hadn't seen the sun in months and I couldn't handle it anymore.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

• Having grown up in western Washington, I thought the amount of rain and clouds were normal. It didn’t bother me any until my teen years and I started traveling around the state more. I was enamored with the shrub steppe of central Washington, and the rolling fields of wheat in the Palouse. Washington really is a pretty unique place geographically speaking. There’s not many places in the world where you can see 6-8 different vegetation zones in a matter of hours.

Trivia: Did you know that earwigs can fly?! The nasty little bastards seldom use their wings but they have the ability. Freaks me out every time I see one.
    HAWKAMANIA
    NET Veteran

• [quote="HAWKAMANIA"Trivia: Did you know that earwigs can fly?! The nasty little bastards seldom use their wings but they have the ability. Freaks me out every time I see one.[/quote]

No, I didn't know that. It freaks me out when (mercifully rarely) some of our local bulldog ants (Myrmecia pyriformis) grow wings and fly. They behave like Apache gunships. One of the biggest, nastiest and most aggressive ants on the planet. They only have a narrow range, and I'm right in the middle of it. I don't know why they haven't taken over everywhere, as I'm stuffed if I know what eats them. They are called inch ants, but they're more like 1 1/4" (30mm). They (n=2) have a terrible sting. If you look at them, they immediately tense themselves and open and close their mandibles menacingly, and often start approaching you, but it's the sting in the tail which does the real damage.
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

• Aussie Seahawk wrote:
    HAWKAMANIA wrote:Trivia: Did you know that earwigs can fly?! The nasty little bastards seldom use their wings but they have the ability. Freaks me out every time I see one.

No, I didn't know that. It freaks me out when (mercifully rarely) some of our local bulldog ants (Myrmecia pyriformis) grow wings and fly. They behave like Apache gunships. One of the biggest, nastiest and most aggressive ants on the planet. They only have a narrow range, and I'm right in the middle of it. I don't know why they haven't taken over everywhere, as I'm stuffed if I know what eats them. They are called inch ants, but they're more like 1 1/4" (30mm). They (n=2) have a terrible sting. If you look at them, they immediately tense themselves and open and close their mandibles menacingly, and often start approaching you, but it's the sting in the tail which does the real damage.

You should be used to that sort of thing. It's common knowledge world-wide that everything in Australia will kill you, mostly for no reason. Even the butterflies.

And especially those drop-bears! :mrgreen:
    Last edited by GeekHawk on Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

• I read up on those ants over there in Australia. Those are some freaky looking mandibles. Makes my fear of flying earwigs seem ridiculous (it is).

A couple other tidbits of trivia I learned recently.
    1. The theatrical phrase of “break a leg” has its roots in one of the United States’ greatest tragedies. Apparently, thespians are very superstitious and don’t like being told “good luck” and the like; they believe hearing that would bring bad luck :Dunno: The tradition of saying “break a leg” comes from President Lincoln’s assassination, when John Wilkes booth leapt from the balcony and broke a leg. The phrase has been used since then to ensure “good” luck, by wishing bad luck.
    I feel like this may be common knowledge for many but I found out about it last week.

2. Some of you older folks may know this already. The day the music died; when Buddy Holly, Richie Valens, and the Big Bopper died in a tragic plane crash, there was a fourth, relatively lesser known musician touring with them that wasn’t on the plane. The musicians and their groups had been touring in a bus that had broken down several times. One of them was able to book a flight on a small plane to the next stop, but it could only carry the pilot plus 3 others. The Big Bopper had an illness he was battling, so rather than making him take the hours long bus ride to the next stop, he was given a seat on the plane. The other three decided somehow who the other two passengers would be, leaving the fourth miffed. One of the three (cant remember which one currently) told the fourth musician something like ~’enjoy your ride. You’ll probably break down’. The fourth musician replied in jest with, “I hope your plane crashes.” Well, the rest is history and the fourth musician was never able to forgive himself. That musician was country music legend Waylon Jennings.
    HAWKAMANIA
    NET Veteran

• Largent80 wrote:Jeez. Texas Fire Ants are just dreadful for such little guys.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_ant

When I was a kid living in Miami, I tripped and fell on one on the playground at school. The damn nests could pop up literally overnight and be 6 inches tall when there wasn't even one there the day before. The whole front of my leg looked like this, except like 3x as many bites. I'm quite certain it's why I can't stand having any insects or bugs indoors. If I see so much as a tiny fruit fly inside, I have to kill it immediately. Gives me the chills just thinking about when this happened.

RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

• Largent80 and Roland - OUCH!!! At the picture of the fire ant bites, and the Wiki article. They are awful - they make up in numbers for the local bulldog ants' extreme size. Fascinating article. Especially about this parasite predator of the ant:

"Phorid flies, or Phoridae, are a large family of small, hump-backed flies somewhat smaller than vinegar flies; two species in this family (Pseudacteon tricuspis and Pseudacteon curvatus) are parasitoids of the red imported fire ant in its native range in South America. Some 110 species of the genus Pseudacteon, or ant-decapitating flies, have been described. Members of Pseudacteon reproduce by laying eggs in the thorax of the ant. The first instar larvae migrates to the head, then develops by feeding on the hemolymph, muscle tissue, and nervous tissue. After about two weeks, they cause the ant's head to fall off by releasing an enzyme that dissolves the membrane attaching the ant's head to its body. The fly pupates in the detached head capsule, emerging two weeks later"

Yummo!

And this:

"Usually, the nest will not be visible, as it will be built under objects such as timber, logs, rocks, or bricks. If no cover for nesting is available, dome-shaped mounds are constructed, but these are usually only found in open spaces, such as fields, parks, and lawns. These mounds can reach heights of 40 cm (16 in),[4] but can be even higher on heavier soils, standing at 1.0 m (3 ft 3 in) in height and 1.5 m (4 ft 11 in) in diameter.[12] Colonies are founded by small groups of queens or single queens. Even if only one queen survives, within a month or so, the colony can expand to thousands of individuals. Some colonies may be polygynous (having multiple queens per nest).[13]

Fire ants are resilient and can survive floods. During Hurricane Harvey in Texas in 2017, clumps of fire ants, known as rafts, were seen clumped together on the surface of the water. Each clump had as many as 100,000 individual ants, which formed a temporary structure until finding a new permanent home.[14]"

Bloody hell!
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

• This a macro photo of a local giant bulldog ant, taken by a colleage of mine many years ago, in his garden:

bulldog ant.jpg
    bulldog ant.jpg (185.09 KiB) Viewed 223 times

(photo courtesy of Prof Ian Gibbins)

This is the result of my stung toe. I had two days off work - could not bear to walk on it.

ant sting.jpg
    ant sting.jpg (132.42 KiB) Viewed 223 times
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

• Can anyone help me with the movie question?

Still holding on to hope, and avoiding the google
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

• And because I found it very amusing.

Check this out.

Originally posted in the shack by Sailor.

Screen shot to avoid making anyone go the “the Shack”

pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

• [quote="HAWKAMANIA"]I read up on those ants over there in Australia. Those are some freaky looking mandibles. Makes my fear of flying earwigs seem ridiculous (it is).

It isn't ridiculous, because it is YOUR fear/phobia! I'm illogically terrified of the local huntsman spiders, which can get pretty big, but are totally harmless. There's just something skin-crawlingly dreadful about them, to me. I guess a large one would be up to nearly 4 inches/10cm across the legspan.

People who know of this fear are amazed I'll happily handle a cockroach or a praying mantis, but they don't bother me at all. I'd have no problem with a huge beetle, etither. They're all quite cute, and the mantises are especially wonderful. Cockroaches are totally unfairly labelled as 'dirty' and are apparently quite intelligent (for insects).
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

• I'm sure that Australian cockroaches have poisonous feet or something and grow to 12". One will kill you, then it and three of its friends will drag you back to their place for dinner.
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

• GeekHawk wrote:I'm sure that Australian cockroaches have poisonous feet or something and grow to 12". One will kill you, then it and three of its friends will drag you back to their place for dinner.

:) :) :) Good one!

Actually, for the first time in suburban Adelaide, I saw a young eastern brown snake (arguably the world's second-most venomous snake; it's a very inexact measure) in my garden a couple of weeks ago.
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

• GeekHawk wrote:You should be used to that sort of thing. It's common knowledge world-wide that everything in Australia will kill you, mostly for no reason. Even the butterflies.

And especially those drop-bears! :mrgreen:

This was on the news the other night...

Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

It is currently Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:37 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE LOUNGE ]

Information