Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Future of Star Wars (TV/Movies)

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics, multimedia, and classified ads (Must be a contributing member to post any ads). No PWR. LANGUAGE: PG-13
The Future of Star Wars (TV/Movies)
Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:28 pm
  • First and foremost, The Clone Wars season 7 returns to Disney+ in a matter of weeks. A potential release date of Feb 17th was recently leaked, and then debunked, so I don't think we know exactly when that will be here but it will be very soon (or at least I don't know, correct me if I'm wrong).

The newest movie rumor (as of 9pm pacific time) is that Taika Waititi is being courted by LucasFilm to do a Star Wars movie. You may know him from Thor Ragnarok or more recently JoJo Rabbit, but he's no stranger to Star Wars as he directed and episode of The Mandalorian as well as provided the voice for the droid IG-11 in the show.

There's been several rumors over recent weeks and months of an Old Republic era movie or trilogy, and more recently we've seen the term High Republic as well as rumors of a "middle aged" Yoda. Also rumors recently of a TV series set in the same/similar era(s). A lot of people originally attached Benioff & Weiss to this or these movie(s) but since that particular relationship seems to have ended it remains to be seen who will helm these projects and which of them will actually come to fruition.

Keven Feige of MCU fame has apparently been tasked with producing a new Star Wars movie. And although there are many rumors and many more opinions about whether or not this will or should happen, Rian Johnson is apparently still on board to write and direct an entire Trilogy. No real solid information at this point whether these are all independent projects or if there is crossover between some of this information or these rumors. As far as we've been told the next Star Wars movie is slated for a 2022 release and it could be any one of these mentioned or maybe even some combination of these potential projects. We've heard rumors for a while now that we'll get some sort of announcement this month, and that lines up pretty well with the '22 release date and how long it will take for the process of writing & casting (much of which is probably already underway) and actual production on the film.

We already know that production on season 2 of the Mandalorian is underway, with Jon Favreau and Dave Filoni once again steering the ship on that one, which I imagine we'll see toward the end of the year with a probable November release date on Disney+.

Obi Wan is another confirmed TV series for Disney+ which will be directed by Deborah Chow who directed two episodes of The Mandalorian, and you may know her from her work on many TV shows including Mr Robot, Fear The Walking Dead, Jessica Jones, Better Call Saul, and many more. It is being written by Hossein Amini who most recently wrote on The Alienist and McMafia, as well as wrote the screenplays for 47 Ronin and Drive, among others. Ewan McGregor is confirmed to be returning as Obi Wan Kenboi and the show is set to take place a few years (I think I've heard about 8 years?) after the events of Revenge of The Sith. Other rumors surrounding this show include the possible return of Ray Park as Darth Maul, as well as a potential casting call for a young Luke Skywalker.

Another confirmed Disney+ series is set to follow Cassian Andor and the droid K2-SO (Alan Tudyk) in the years before the events of Rogue One. No director has been announced yet but Tony Gilroy, who wrote the screenplay for Rogue One, is writing the pilot, so these characters should be in good hands. Not much info yet on this one but lots they could do so it will be interesting to see where exactly they go with it.

Lastly, rumors of a spin-off/sequel to the Rebels animated series following Sabine Wren & Ahsoka Tano. Not a lot of info on this one, still just a rumor as far as I know.

Ummm off the top of my head I think that's about all I got. Feel free to add to this if you have more information or if I missed anything.

Oh and don't bother chiming in with anti-Star Wars rhetoric. Anything I deem overtly negative, trolling or otherwise detracting from the topic at hand will be swiftly deleted. Feel free to start your own thread about how much you dislike Star Wars or Disney or whatever else. Topic specific criticism is obviously welcome, but we're talking about the future of the franchise, not what you don't like about the past of it. If you don't want to see anymore Star Wars then I can't imagine why you'd want to talk about it. If these aren't the droids you're looking for, then by all means move along.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Re: The Future of Star Wars (TV/Movies)
Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:10 pm
  • Personally, I'm very much looking forward to the shows.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:02 am
  • There is endless direction this franchise can go in based on just the original movies. I always thought the spin offs were always the big part of the plan for Disney as opposed to just continuing the original storyline. Would love to see Darth Maul return.
    Cyrus12
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:02 am
  • They should make a limited run (one or two seasons) series about Palpatine finding and training Darth Maul while Ian McDiarmid is still able to do it, IMO.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:09 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:They should make a limited run (one or two seasons) series about Palpatine finding and training Darth Maul while Ian McDiarmid is still able to do it, IMO.

Good call! I know Maul has some exposure in the animated stuff but would be nice to see the guy again as a feature character.
    Cyrus12
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:26 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:They should make a limited run (one or two seasons) series about Palpatine finding and training Darth Maul while Ian McDiarmid is still able to do it, IMO.

The more we saw of Boba Fett, the less interesting he became. I think a series about Maul being trained would be dreadfully boring. Plus, one of the refreshing things about The Mandalorian is the fact that it is independent of anything or anyone we know, save for the era. It's all fresh.

I still want them to dig into the KotOR era, myself.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:29 pm
  • Maulbert wrote:The more we saw of Boba Fett, the less interesting he became. I think a series about Maul being trained would be dreadfully boring. Plus, one of the refreshing things about The Mandalorian is the fact that it is independent of anything or anyone we know, save for the era. It's all fresh.

I still want them to dig into the KotOR era, myself.

It would only be boring if they made it boring. There's tons of creative license available with his character in terms of origin story. They could come up with myriad badass ideas.

As a fan of SWTOR and KotOR, I'm down for stuff from that era as well.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:50 pm
  • Since they have ended the first main story ihey should give the catalogue a break and come fresh after the controversial crap gets put on a back burner.

Have a well thought out process or content granted but don't try to pull someone else in to fix your issues created by trying to cash in.

Let Keven Feige do what he does best, he has the Whole MCU now to manage and all the Television stuff as well.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:50 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:Since they have ended the first main story ihey should give the catalogue a break and come fresh after the controversial crap gets put on a back burner.

Have a well thought out process or content granted but don't try to pull someone else in to fix your issues created by trying to cash in.

Let Keven Feige do what he does best, he has the Whole MCU now to manage and all the Television stuff as well.

I agree, and that's coming from someone who liked VII-IX. After the Obi-Wan series, anyway. Though, I will say, that's not something I would have felt needed to be explored, either, the biggest reason I'm interested is because Ewan McGregor is coming back. After that, I think they should avoid anything even tangentially associated with the original trilogy for at least 10 years (unless they pull their heads out of the asses and finally release an official HD version of the theatrical cuts).

I could dig a series about the fall of the Sith Empire. Just seeing all the Sith lords plot to backstab each other. Intriguing.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:11 pm
  • Since the Rule of Two is canon, I'd love to see the Darth Bane trilogy turned into a three-season TV series.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:36 pm
  • https://collider.com/obi-wan-series-del ... sney-plus/

Two independent sources with knowledge of the situation tell Collider that the Obi-Wan series has been put on hold, as the crew that had assembled at Pinewood Studios in London was sent home. A timeframe was not given, but the crew was told that the show would be down “indefinitely.”

We’re hearing that Lucasfilm president and Obi-Wan producer Kathleen Kennedy was not happy with the scripts. Sources tell us that what will most likely happen next is the scripts will be reworked with the hopeful goal of reassembling this summer, but there’s always the possibility that that timeframe could shift.

There were some rumors floating around last week that most considered to be unfounded. I'm not sure how reliable Collider is, I watch some of their stuff on YouTube and they seem to be a decent outlet for information, though they don't name their sources here so I'm taking it with a grain of salt. Either way I hope this isn't true, or if it is that they get it resolved quickly. I'm not sure how many missteps Disney+ will be afforded regarding original content before people start jumping ship. They've probably already lost subscribers during this post-Mandalorian lull.

As far as story goes, I'd be inclined to trust creatives like Hossein Amini and Deborah Chow over Kathleen Kennedy, hopefully this isn't a case of too much corporate meddling as seemed to be the case with Solo.

Oh and also:

Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:24 pm

Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:33 pm
  • Dear God, please no.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:51 pm
  • I guess it shows defeat on Disney's part to capably produce the star wars universe...if true..
    Cyrus12
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:56 pm
  • Cyrus12 wrote:I guess it shows defeat on Disney's part to capably produce the star wars universe...if true..

Give it to Jon Favreau and Dave Filoni first.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:18 pm
  • wegotthiscovered.com is 99% horse sh*t click bait.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:45 am
  • KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:47 pm
  • So they're gonna start with some books, but it sounds like the idea is that they'd like to make this new era the focus of Star Wars for the coming future.

They basically stuck a bunch of writers in a room and had them hash out a new Star Wars universe. Will be interesting to see how this all comes to fruition and how it's received by the fan base. Will this stuff get into TV shows? Movies? Video Games? Does this have what it takes to move us past the Skywalkers? Will it satisfy the factions clamoring for old republic era content?

To me, this is all about execution. I've never been a huge fan of how the Jedi were handled in the prequels, but that is canon, so I don't really expect them to do anything to contradict that. That said, Luke's revelation of the failure and hubris of the Jedi, the arrogance, the error of attempting to claim the Force as their own, letting the Sith come back into power, those concepts and ideas could be a factor in the storytelling of this era.

If they build a rich world with interesting characters and fun, exciting stories then I'll be all in. This seems to be them committing to going in a new direction, or at least attempting to. I do not expect them to use this to go away from kid/young adult friendly, progressive content. This will probably be about teenagers and about girls and about inclusiveness and intersectionality, so if that's something that has stopped people from being interested or enjoying the sequel trilogy, I highly doubt this new era is going to do much to change that.

BUT it all comes down to the storytelling to me. Do a good job of that and a lot of the other issues will fall by the wayside over time.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

It is currently Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:09 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE LOUNGE ]

Information