Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Car CD player won't work

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics, multimedia, and classified ads (Must be a contributing member to post any ads). No PWR. LANGUAGE: PG-13
Car CD player won't work
Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:28 pm
  • The CD player in my wife's car is not working. She's an aged care worker, so on the road all day, and needs her music. She had a disc stuck inside it, and when you press play, it says "no CD" and won't eject. I got it out by using a second (unwanted) CD; inserting it partially and waggling it. Now the second CD is stuck in there!

    Before I try to get it out, and maybe try giving the inside of the player a clean somehow, does anyone please have any suggestions, before I resort to getting it looked at by a car audio shop, or seeing if I can get one from a wreckers.

    The slit where the CD is inserted/ejected is of course very thin, and I can't see anything inside the player. When you press eject it makes a "ratcheting" sound for several seconds, and then gives up. I don't know if it does not eject BECAUSE it does not recognise CDs; because it has done it for two CDs (the first a commercial CD, the second a burnt CD), maybe I can assume the player is stuffed completely, or possibly a lens clean would fix it (surely worth it)!

    But I guess I'll have to go on Youtube to learn how to rermove the head unit to clean it properly.

    I have not as yet tried resetting it by briefly disconnecting the negative terminal on the car battery; turning it off/on certainly does not do anything. Haven't tried sacrificing a goat yet, either, in case there is a thahu in it. :)

    Thanks for any replies!
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1046
    Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:37 pm
    Location: Adelaide, South Australia


Re: Car CD player won't work
Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:00 am
  • My guess is someone's going to have to take that apart and try to get the disc out, and hope it's not damaged and put everything back in place correctly.
    Msfann
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2033
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:37 am


Re: Car CD player won't work
Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:06 am
  • I don't care about the disc. Someone called Josh Groban (burnt CD which got given to me many years ago). Stuck inside a player which isn't working is the best place for it! :)
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1046
    Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:37 pm
    Location: Adelaide, South Australia


Re: Car CD player won't work
Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:30 am
  • CDs? Wtf? You can get a $100 Bluetooth stereo and she can stream millions of CDs' worth of music from her phone while driving.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *
     
    Posts: 31549
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 9:39 am
    Location: Phoenix, AZ


Re: Car CD player won't work
Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:51 am
  • Aussie Seahawk wrote:I don't care about the disc. Someone called Josh Groban (burnt CD which got given to me many years ago). Stuck inside a player which isn't working is the best place for it! :)



    Kind of with Roland on this, if you take it to a shop they are going to charge you for removal and repair and reinstall, where if you upgrade to a Satellite radio with a Ram you can down load all you want at home and plug it in or just screen for content from Satellite..

    Many places will install it for a marginal amount and you can keep the old one and get it fixed when convenient if you want.

    You won't need to worry about skipping and or cleaning either.

    Besides if it is an older cd player it will probably cost you double what it would cost to buy new also with the above charging.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 29925
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


Re: Car CD player won't work
Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:12 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:CDs? Wtf? You can get a $100 Bluetooth stereo and she can stream millions of CDs' worth of music from her phone while driving.


    Sorry, we have no idea how to do stuff like that. I've never tried to stream music, and we only know how to call or text on phones. We use a street directory when driving; my wife had a Tom Tom satnav for a while, but it died (too old for the software) and she didn't like it anyway. She does have an "App" she has to use for her work bookings, which she absolutely hates, and I have to access her email for her on my computer. She has no idea how to use a computer.

    Anyway, I like CDs and DVDs. I've got the Usenet installed on my computer to download things (SAnzbd/NZBGrabit, it's called) but I have to get my friend who installed it to help me use it.

    I know it sounds pathetic, but I have no idea how to use stuff like that myself. I don't even understand Facebook. I am not really interested in it, but sadly, the email lists I used to be on are tumbleweed territory these days. Everyone else has moved on, pretty much, to Facebook and Twitter (which I have never looked at). I cop flak about my ignorance (fear), but that is MY problem. But people I was friends with saying I "love to be the victim" about stuff like this does not help one little bit.

    UGH, sorry, must change subject. Getting depressed thinking about it.
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1046
    Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:37 pm
    Location: Adelaide, South Australia


Re: Car CD player won't work
Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:18 am
  • Aussie Seahawk wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:CDs? Wtf? You can get a $100 Bluetooth stereo and she can stream millions of CDs' worth of music from her phone while driving.


    Sorry, we have no idea how to do stuff like that. I've never tried to stream music, and we only know how to call or text on phones. We use a street directory when driving; my wife had a Tom Tom satnav for a while, but it died (too old for the software) and she didn't like it anyway. She does have an "App" she has to use for her work bookings, which she absolutely hates, and I have to access her email for her on my computer. She has no idea how to use a computer.

    Anyway, I like CDs and DVDs. I've got the Usenet installed on my computer to download things (SAnzbd/NZBGrabit, it's called) but I have to get my friend who installed it to help me use it.

    I know it sounds pathetic, but I have no idea how to use stuff like that myself. I don't even understand Facebook. I am not really interested in it, but sadly, the email lists I used to be on are tumbleweed territory these days. Everyone else has moved on, pretty much, to Facebook and Twitter (which I have never looked at). I cop flak about my ignorance (fear), but that is MY problem. But people I was friends with saying I "love to be the victim" about stuff like this does not help one little bit.

    UGH, sorry, must change subject. Getting depressed thinking about it.


    Don't let Roland bother you. He can no more give up thinking himself smarter than everyone than give up breathing.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6468
    Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:44 pm
    Location: In the basement of Reynholm Industries


Re: Car CD player won't work
Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:24 am
  • Aussie Seahawk wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:CDs? Wtf? You can get a $100 Bluetooth stereo and she can stream millions of CDs' worth of music from her phone while driving.


    Sorry, we have no idea how to do stuff like that. I've never tried to stream music, and we only know how to call or text on phones. We use a street directory when driving; my wife had a Tom Tom satnav for a while, but it died (too old for the software) and she didn't like it anyway. She does have an "App" she has to use for her work bookings, which she absolutely hates, and I have to access her email for her on my computer. She has no idea how to use a computer.

    Anyway, I like CDs and DVDs. I've got the Usenet installed on my computer to download things (SAnzbd/NZBGrabit, it's called) but I have to get my friend who installed it to help me use it.

    I know it sounds pathetic, but I have no idea how to use stuff like that myself. I don't even understand Facebook. I am not really interested in it, but sadly, the email lists I used to be on are tumbleweed territory these days. Everyone else has moved on, pretty much, to Facebook and Twitter (which I have never looked at). I cop flak about my ignorance (fear), but that is MY problem. But people I was friends with saying I "love to be the victim" about stuff like this does not help one little bit.

    UGH, sorry, must change subject. Getting depressed thinking about it.



    If your truly that attached then just replace it with another CD player Radio, they are cheap now that the Satellite stuff is out, again they will probably due the install for a cheaper price and you can get the old one and tear it apart and try to unjam and clean it and see if it is still usable.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 29925
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


Re: Car CD player won't work
Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:57 am
  • Thanks, Chris (and Roland!) but won't I have to get a specific new audio unit for the car (2007 Nissan Tiida; called 'Versa' in the US) from a wrecker, or (shudder) buy a new one (if even available) from a Nissan dealer? I mean, it's surgically embedded in the dashboard (I think they built the car around it!); I've watched the removal procedure on Youtube, and don't really feel at all confident about attempting it.

    It seems to involve having to disconnect other systems in the car, to remove it, which really makes my blood run up one leg and down the other, stress-wise.
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1046
    Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:37 pm
    Location: Adelaide, South Australia


Re: Car CD player won't work
Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:08 am
  • Get a sirius xm radio imo if you are okay with forking out a monthly fee.
    Cyrus12
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter
     
    Posts: 8748
    Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:20 am
    Location: BC Canada


Re: Car CD player won't work
Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:38 am
  • Maulbert wrote:Don't let Roland bother you. He can no more give up thinking himself smarter than everyone than give up breathing.

    You're such a good guy, Maulbert. Innocently looking out for other peoples' best interests, etc.

    The reality is I actually posted a good suggestion, just wrapped in snark. Your post, on the other hand, is 100% just ragging on me. Keep thinking you're just a fantastic guy who is a million times better than me, though; your FDR to my h!tler. I know it gives you that :179417: feeling.

    Aussie - don't be scared. You have a smartphone, right? Android or iPhone? Does your car stereo have a 3.5mm audio jack?
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *
     
    Posts: 31549
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 9:39 am
    Location: Phoenix, AZ


Re: Car CD player won't work
Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:57 am
  • @Aussie

    IMHO

    those that have suggested replacing the unit are spot on.

    It doesn’t sound like you need a super high quality unit, so regardless if you do the install yourself or have it done, the unit itself won’t cost all that much.

    If you pay someone to remove and repair what you have, you still have an old unit that could fail again at any point.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *
     
    Posts: 19854
    Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:37 am
    Location: On the lake, Livingston Texas


Re: Car CD player won't work
Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:01 pm
  • I have purchased CD players for install on my old vehicles. It is not really hard to install one with some installation framing. Really not hard. Get a CD player that has an EXTERNAL input so you can go from an external source to the player. That way you can use both CDs and external player such as Ipod, Zune, or other external music source. Even getting a remote CD player and plugging it in the external port would work then. Earphone jack to external earphone input jack. Even your media phone can be used then with a proper 6mm cable. I even have one that uses SD cards. That way you can import music that way too.

    The only thing about a different music player is the wiring may be a bit different. So you may need to get a wire harness adapter and cut wires and crimp new wires on. Adapters I have ordered and received came with wiring lists that tell you exactly what wires go where and crimp them with a butt connector and you can use a pair of plyers to do so. Crimp tool is ok too.

    Some of these different players can be found at your local junk yard. We have parts salvage yards where parts are available and most are still in good working order. I would assume you have them there too.

    Some may have bluetooth involved as well.

    Just some suggestions.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 9398
    Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:20 pm
    Location: A little ways from Boise.


Re: Car CD player won't work
Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:54 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:Don't let Roland bother you. He can no more give up thinking himself smarter than everyone than give up breathing.

    You're such a good guy, Maulbert. Innocently looking out for other peoples' best interests, etc.

    The reality is I actually posted a good suggestion, just wrapped in snark. Your post, on the other hand, is 100% just ragging on me. Keep thinking you're just a fantastic guy who is a million times better than me, though; your FDR to my h!tler. I know it gives you that :179417: feeling.

    Aussie - don't be scared. You have a smartphone, right? Android or iPhone? Does your car stereo have a 3.5mm audio jack?


    I don't have an issue with your recommendation. Just your traditional condescending attitude.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6468
    Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:44 pm
    Location: In the basement of Reynholm Industries


Re: Car CD player won't work
Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:56 pm
  • Maulbert wrote:I don't have an issue with your recommendation. Just your traditional condescending attitude.

    I think your opinion of me makes you see condescension even when it's not there, so you basically just see it 24/7/365 from me.

    Your prerogative. Also, I do have a long history of genuinely helping people with tech stuff around here.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *
     
    Posts: 31549
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 9:39 am
    Location: Phoenix, AZ


Re: Car CD player won't work
Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:46 pm
  • You can try to get it out by wrapping a popsicle stick with double-sided tape and see if you can get the cd to stick to it and yank it out. You may try tweezers, a paper clip, stuff like that. Basically, you need to pop it upwards. However, I would guess at this point the grabber or ejector is probably shot and worn out at this point, and isn't likely to consistently work again.

    I would strongly recommend spending an hour to figure out how to get music onto your phone. It isn't hard. Then just use the auxiliary jack to connect your phone to the player, and you're set.

    It also isn't really that difficult to DIY a CD player replacement.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9mwgpFjU_g

    You could try to track down an old CD walkman with an adapter to plug-in to your car lighter and aux jack as well. It's total $h!t, it'll skip every time you go over a bump, but whatevs.
    Tical21
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4676
    Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:37 pm


Re: Car CD player won't work
Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:34 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:Aussie - don't be scared. You have a smartphone, right? Android or iPhone? Does your car stereo have a 3.5mm audio jack?


    Yeah, I know my attitude is a pathology which helps me not at all. My phone is an Android (well, it's an LG) and the car stereo has no jacks.
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1046
    Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:37 pm
    Location: Adelaide, South Australia


Re: Car CD player won't work
Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:51 pm
  • Check your local Craigslist (or equivalent service) for car stereo work. You can probably find some high school or young 20s kid earning cash on the side and get a stereo done for half the cost of going to a real business. Give them the model of your car, a pic of the whole dashboard area including your existing stereo, and ask them what the TOTAL cost would be. You'll most likely need a harness kit (anybody who does car stereos will know what that means) for your particular model of vehicle.

    You should be able to find out what it would cost without spending any money, then you can decide. If you do get a Bluetooth stereo installed, I can help you actually use it.

    Enter the modern times with us, Aussie! :)
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *
     
    Posts: 31549
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 9:39 am
    Location: Phoenix, AZ


Re: Car CD player won't work
Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:52 am
  • Thank you everyone for your suggestions. Much appreciated! There's definitely a lot of expertise in these parts!
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1046
    Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:37 pm
    Location: Adelaide, South Australia


Re: Car CD player won't work
Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:48 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:You should be able to find out what it would cost without spending any money, then you can decide. If you do get a Bluetooth stereo installed, I can help you actually use it.

    Enter the modern times with us, Aussie! :)


    Sorry, I don't know what a Bluetooth stereo is. I just want to help my wife simply play her CDs again, in her car. She doesn't want to be slapped with technology, sorry. I really appreciate everyone's help, but "modern times" has passed me by.

    Thanks, Roland, sincerely. Your help is much appreciated. I just don't understand, sorry. :(
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1046
    Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:37 pm
    Location: Adelaide, South Australia


Re: Car CD player won't work
Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:12 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:Check your local Craigslist (or equivalent service) for car stereo work.


    Sorry, isn't that a shady "dating" service, or something? I guess I'm wrong, as you are happy about it, it seems. Shows how much I know, which is nothing.
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1046
    Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:37 pm
    Location: Adelaide, South Australia


Re: Car CD player won't work
Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:54 am
  • Aussie Seahawk wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:You should be able to find out what it would cost without spending any money, then you can decide. If you do get a Bluetooth stereo installed, I can help you actually use it.

    Enter the modern times with us, Aussie! :)


    Sorry, I don't know what a Bluetooth stereo is. I just want to help my wife simply play her CDs again, in her car. She doesn't want to be slapped with technology, sorry. I really appreciate everyone's help, but "modern times" has passed me by.

    Thanks, Roland, sincerely. Your help is much appreciated. I just don't understand, sorry. :(


    Aussie, just trust him on this.
    Get the head unit (stereo) that has Bluetooth capability.

    It won’t cost anything extra, or very little.

    It’s easy to use, so easy even I can (and do) use it.

    Ultimately your wife won’t need to carry her CDs around, she can have all the same music, AND a whole world of other music as well.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *
     
    Posts: 19854
    Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:37 am
    Location: On the lake, Livingston Texas


Re: Car CD player won't work
Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:40 am
  • Aussie, I have to say, you are really purposely avoiding change here. Just do some reading. Literally, start with Googling "what is a bluetooth car stereo" or something along those lines, lol.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *
     
    Posts: 31549
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 9:39 am
    Location: Phoenix, AZ


Re: Car CD player won't work
Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:51 pm
  • It doesn't have to be bluetooth. If you have an MP3 player or your phone you can connect with a cord. Most newer units have then included with the option of a CD. Just because the world is now almost all digital doesn't mean you have to give up what you have already and buy a bunch of new $h!t. It gets old and expensive upgrading all this supposed great technology every 2 years.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 35845
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:38 pm
    Location: The Tex-ASS


Car CD player won't work
Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:07 pm
  • Bluetooth won’t be obsolete anytime soon.

    Car stereos with Bluetooth can be purchased at very affordable prices.

    Amazon has several under $100 American.
    Many under $200.

    https://www.amazon.com/Car-Audio-Blueto ... ef=is_pn_1


    Bluetooth is almost a standard feature in automotive stereos these days.


    If you’re money is a bigger concern than HiFidelity

    This unit fits your car, has Bluetooth and plays CDs.

    $43 American dollars
    Image

    Installation would be straight forward with the instructions and Youtube videos.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *
     
    Posts: 19854
    Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:37 am
    Location: On the lake, Livingston Texas


Re: Car CD player won't work
Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:28 pm
  • For informational purposes...Bluetooth is nothing more than a WIRELESS connection. Just like what you do with your cell phone....between cell phones. 2.4 mhz or some such.

    windows has a media player and burner that can download or burn all things to its computer. Then load them on a drive/flashdrive and run with the flashdrive. Easy.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 9398
    Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:20 pm
    Location: A little ways from Boise.


Re: Car CD player won't work
Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:24 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:Aussie, I have to say, you are really purposely avoiding change here. Just do some reading. Literally, start with Googling "what is a bluetooth car stereo" or something along those lines, lol.


    I know you're right, Roland. Sheer logic dictates it, but unfortunately I don't always heed logic properly. I'll see how I go - thanks everyone for your suggestions. I must admit I find this thread a bit embarrassing now.

    OK, a bit more constructive...

    While on CD players, my hi-fi CD player (an ancient Yamaha unit I bought in 1990, for $500) is still IMO a great sound source (along with Rotel amp and Wharfedale speakers). It has never played burnt CDs (which weren't generally even available until a few years after that, IIRC?) unless the weather is absolutely stinking hot... and then it is only some of the silver ones, not the "azo" coloured ones. Does anyone know what (if any) science is behind this? Any truth to a claim that the playability of burnt CDs on old units depends on the speed at which it was burnt?

    I think the lab I worked in for over 25 years got our first external CD burner (we were all Mac) in around 1995 or so. I think it cost over $1,000 and only burnt at a max of 2x, and blank CDs were incredibly expensive. "Burning a coaster" used to be a source of much rage. I remember ejecting a coaster at home a few years later and stupidly/childlishly crushing it in my hand, cutting myself slightly in the process, when it shattered... and then realising with all the razor-sharp shards I was left holding, how incredibly lucky I was to have only slightly cut myself.

    I guess God (or someone) does look after fools and/or drunks sometimes.

    We had a colo-rectal surgeon in our lab doing a PhD (just about always had a surgeon) and he was making Powerpoint slides for a conference, and the laptop crashed. He (forgetting all you hear about surgeons and pianists looking after their hands) put his fist right through the screen, and somehow didn't even cut himself.

    Anyway, I'm off to bang the rocks together. :)
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1046
    Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:37 pm
    Location: Adelaide, South Australia




It is currently Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:27 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE LOUNGE ]




Information
  • Who is online