Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How Will the Human Race End?

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics, multimedia, and classified ads (Must be a contributing member to post any ads). No PWR. LANGUAGE: PG-13
Re: How Will the Human Race End?
Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:47 pm
  • HawkGA wrote:
    hawksfansinceday1 wrote:Agree 100% with your statement about over-population.

Okay Thanos.

RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:26 pm
  • I think it will be like Children of Men where women or men's reproduction organs simply cease to work and we will all just fade away slowly.
    bevellisthedevil
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:29 pm
  • I'm gonna go ahead and double down on Chinese virus.

Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:49 am
  • twisted_steel2 wrote:Has anyone read One Second After by William R. Forstchen? Its about a couple EMP nukes going off in the US. About 90-95% of the population dies withing a year as we get thrown back into the stone age.

I could totally see something like that happening. Wouldn't kill us all, but the last people on Earth would wish they were dead.

I've never heard of the book, but thanks! I'll have a look for the ebook. Chilling line about the living envying the dead.

One post-apocalypse book I can recommend is "Swan Song" by Robert R McCammon; it is very often mentioned as "similar" to Stephen King's masterpiece, "The Stand".

Another is "Lucifer's Hammer" by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, in which a comet collides with the Earth, with utterly massive destruction and total breakdown of society into barbarism.

Films - I saw "The Day After" many years ago at the flicks, but it was dwarfed by the British nuclear war postulation "Threads". Has anyone seen it? Really rubs the utter hopelessness of it in. A nuclear exchange of 3,000 megatons; 210 mT of which target Great Britain. The movie focuses on the city of Sheffield, in Yorkshire.

Also "No Blade of Grass" (based on the book by John Christopher) in which all food crop plants die, and the animated movie "When the Wind Blows" which is based on the graphic novel by Raymond Briggs, if anyone has heard of him? He also wrote the immortal "Fungus the Bogeyman" graphic novel. It is a deadly satire of an elderly couple's futile attempt to follow government directives on how to survive a nuclear war. It has a soundtrack composed partly by Roger Waters (which is how I discovered it, back in the 1980s). Raymond Briggs apparently went to a council meeting in England, which was convened to discuss the building of fallout shelters, etc. A woman asked if she could put a cat flap in her shelter, and he then fully realised how futile the attempts to survive would almost certainly be.
    Last edited by Aussie Seahawk on Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:24 am
  • hawksfansinceday1 wrote:So how do you like that album? I know you're a huge Floyd guy as am I. They're tied with Rush for my 2nd favorite band of all-time. Anyway, I find it a difficult listen. Even The Wall for all its brilliance seems a bit too much like a Waters solo album and musically (though not in terms of concept obviously) a step below Meddle, DSOTM, WYWH and Animals (vastly underrated album imo). Final Cut seems like a Waters solo album with Gilmour guesting on guitar. You may or may not be aware that by then he'd fired Rick Wright ostensibly for excessive cocaine use.
    I guess like many bands it's safe to say the whole was greater than the sum of the parts.

I feel a little like you do about “The Final Cut.” Totally agree it seems like a Roger Waters solo album, with David Gilmour guesting. Yes, I knew Rog fired Rick Wright before “The Wall” concerts in 1980-81 and then hired him as a session musician for the tour. Thus Rick was the only band member who made money on the tour, because it lost heaps.

After Rick Wright died in 2008, Waters was asked if there would ever be another Floyd reunion (the last one to happen was in 2005, at the Live 8 concerts) and with breathtaking backflipping, replied that “Pink Floyd would be unthinkable without Rick.”

Totally agree the four Floyds were greater than their sum of parts, ie synergistic. But let's not forget Syd Barrett, without whom there would be no Floyd. A tragic genius. I still love all the very early Floyd, and most of Syd's solo material.

Now, I don’t actively dislike “The Final Cut” – it has some strong moments. I remember they played “Not Now John” on the radio a bit, surprisingly. It was censored – the repeated “f*** all that” lyrics were changed to “stuff all that” which was rather clang-y for me. But, right at the end of the song, Waters screams out “where’s the f***ing bar, John?” and they forgot to censor that bit!

I agree with you that “Animals” is underrated. This leads me to a bit of discussion about recordings I’ve got of Floyd concerts. When I was active on Echoes, the Pink Floyd email list, in the mid 1990s, I accumulated quite a lot of “ROIOs” (“Recordings of Illegitimate Origin” from the audience). We weren’t allowed to use the word “b00tleg” even as intentionally mis-spelt. When I first joined, I immediately got asked if I had an audience recording of the February 1988 Adelaide concert. I don’t – at the time, I had no concept of people doing this.

Anyway, one of the most (in)famous recordings I have is of the legendary Montreal, QC, Canada show of 6 July, 1977. The audience is very feral and loud, the band are tired near the end of a very long tour of “Animals” and “Wish You Were Here” material; Rog’s voice is badly shot. It is the show in which a fan tried to climb up the scaffolding to get onto the stage, and Rog spat on him. Later, back in his hotel room, horrified by his own behaviour, he came up with the guts of “The Wall” and all its concepts and themes of the alienation of stadium concerts.

People in the crowd are letting off fireworks, and during a quiet song “Pigs on the Wing” Rog actually stops the band and yells expletives for them to stop. In this concert, the two parts of “Pigs on the Wing” are played back-to-back, with a great guitar bridge in between, played by Snowy White.

This recording was made by someone who hid a reel-to-reel tape recorder inside a “gopher” (mobility device) and had the microphones sewn into a very tall flag on it, to rise above some of the ridiculous crowd noise. Still, the massively restless surge of what can only be called Crowd (with a capital C) is easily felt.

I’ve got recordings of about 60 concerts, radio show footage, etc, of the band, on tape. The quality varies from appalling to surprisingly good, despite the tyranny of generational taping loss. People didn’t have CD burners back then! The Floyd used to hone embryonic versions of new material at concerts, often with different titles to the final product on the official album releases. Examples include “Echoes” as titled “Return of the Son of Nothing” or “Looking Through the Knot-holes of Granny’s Wooden Leg.”

What became “Dogs” on the “Animals” album was initially called “You Gotta Be Crazy” and “Sheep” was called “Raving and Drooling.” Lyrics were often not the final version. I’ve got some wonderful concerts from their 1975 tour, especially Ivor Wynne Stadium, Hamilton, ON, Canada, 28 June, 1975; "Animals" was two years away back then, so these songs were Unheard.

Ironically, it was the b00tlegging which caused the Floyd to abandon the concert experimentations. Apparently (veracity unknown), Gilmour sent a roadie out to find a “Bakery” in London (euphemism for a shop which sells such) and he came back with a vinyl of a “Dark Side of the Moon” show which sold enough illegal copies to be a gold record if it was legitimate. I’ve got several DSOTM concert recordings which are in parts totally unrecognisable from the final masterpiece, but that is what makes them precious to me, even with often poor sound fidelity.

Gilmour's main objection was he didn't like his "flubs" in concerts being preserved for posterity.

BUT, although illegally bought b00ts can be VERY expensive, our passed-down audience tape recordings were exchanged with NO money involved, which we justified as OK. Some bands (The Grateful Dead, for instance, who I know nothing of) actively supported audience recording, and even provided facilities for such. They reasoned that people like us who wanted to exchange audience-recorded concerts for no monetary gain were harmless, or indeed TRUE fans, who (obviously) paid for concert tickets, and bought the official music releases, merchandise, etc.

Heck, when it comes to Floyd, I can't shut up, but I've written more than enough for one night!
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:05 pm
  • The Doomsday Clock got moved to 100 seconds to midnight, first time in it's 70 year history it's ever been inside two minutes.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/ ... day-clock/

If you're not familiar with the Doomsday Clock, it's a tradition that "independent" astrophysicists release the time every year after studying things like climate change, world power relations, threat of nuclear holocaust.........you know, fun and light things.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:59 pm
  • Aussie Seahawk wrote:
    hawksfansinceday1 wrote:So how do you like that album? I know you're a huge Floyd guy as am I. They're tied with Rush for my 2nd favorite band of all-time. Anyway, I find it a difficult listen. Even The Wall for all its brilliance seems a bit too much like a Waters solo album and musically (though not in terms of concept obviously) a step below Meddle, DSOTM, WYWH and Animals (vastly underrated album imo). Final Cut seems like a Waters solo album with Gilmour guesting on guitar. You may or may not be aware that by then he'd fired Rick Wright ostensibly for excessive cocaine use.
    I guess like many bands it's safe to say the whole was greater than the sum of the parts.

I feel a little like you do about “The Final Cut.” Totally agree it seems like a Roger Waters solo album, with David Gilmour guesting. Yes, I knew Rog fired Rick Wright before “The Wall” concerts in 1980-81 and then hired him as a session musician for the tour. Thus Rick was the only band member who made money on the tour, because it lost heaps.

After Rick Wright died in 2008, Waters was asked if there would ever be another Floyd reunion (the last one to happen was in 2005, at the Live 8 concerts) and with breathtaking backflipping, replied that “Pink Floyd would be unthinkable without Rick.”

Totally agree the four Floyds were greater than their sum of parts, ie synergistic. But let's not forget Syd Barrett, without whom there would be no Floyd. A tragic genius. I still love all the very early Floyd, and most of Syd's solo material.

Now, I don’t actively dislike “The Final Cut” – it has some strong moments. I remember they played “Not Now John” on the radio a bit, surprisingly. It was censored – the repeated “f*** all that” lyrics were changed to “stuff all that” which was rather clang-y for me. But, right at the end of the song, Waters screams out “where’s the f***ing bar, John?” and they forgot to censor that bit!

I agree with you that “Animals” is underrated. This leads me to a bit of discussion about recordings I’ve got of Floyd concerts. When I was active on Echoes, the Pink Floyd email list, in the mid 1990s, I accumulated quite a lot of “ROIOs” (“Recordings of Illegitimate Origin” from the audience). We weren’t allowed to use the word “b00tleg” even as intentionally mis-spelt. When I first joined, I immediately got asked if I had an audience recording of the February 1988 Adelaide concert. I don’t – at the time, I had no concept of people doing this.

Anyway, one of the most (in)famous recordings I have is of the legendary Montreal, QC, Canada show of 6 July, 1977. The audience is very feral and loud, the band are tired near the end of a very long tour of “Animals” and “Wish You Were Here” material; Rog’s voice is badly shot. It is the show in which a fan tried to climb up the scaffolding to get onto the stage, and Rog spat on him. Later, back in his hotel room, horrified by his own behaviour, he came up with the guts of “The Wall” and all its concepts and themes of the alienation of stadium concerts.

People in the crowd are letting off fireworks, and during a quiet song “Pigs on the Wing” Rog actually stops the band and yells expletives for them to stop. In this concert, the two parts of “Pigs on the Wing” are played back-to-back, with a great guitar bridge in between, played by Snowy White.

This recording was made by someone who hid a reel-to-reel tape recorder inside a “gopher” (mobility device) and had the microphones sewn into a very tall flag on it, to rise above some of the ridiculous crowd noise. Still, the massively restless surge of what can only be called Crowd (with a capital C) is easily felt.

I’ve got recordings of about 60 concerts, radio show footage, etc, of the band, on tape. The quality varies from appalling to surprisingly good, despite the tyranny of generational taping loss. People didn’t have CD burners back then! The Floyd used to hone embryonic versions of new material at concerts, often with different titles to the final product on the official album releases. Examples include “Echoes” as titled “Return of the Son of Nothing” or “Looking Through the Knot-holes of Granny’s Wooden Leg.”

What became “Dogs” on the “Animals” album was initially called “You Gotta Be Crazy” and “Sheep” was called “Raving and Drooling.” Lyrics were often not the final version. I’ve got some wonderful concerts from their 1975 tour, especially Ivor Wynne Stadium, Hamilton, ON, Canada, 28 June, 1975; "Animals" was two years away back then, so these songs were Unheard.

Ironically, it was the b00tlegging which caused the Floyd to abandon the concert experimentations. Apparently (veracity unknown), Gilmour sent a roadie out to find a “Bakery” in London (euphemism for a shop which sells such) and he came back with a vinyl of a “Dark Side of the Moon” show which sold enough illegal copies to be a gold record if it was legitimate. I’ve got several DSOTM concert recordings which are in parts totally unrecognisable from the final masterpiece, but that is what makes them precious to me, even with often poor sound fidelity.

Gilmour's main objection was he didn't like his "flubs" in concerts being preserved for posterity.

BUT, although illegally bought b00ts can be VERY expensive, our passed-down audience tape recordings were exchanged with NO money involved, which we justified as OK. Some bands (The Grateful Dead, for instance, who I know nothing of) actively supported audience recording, and even provided facilities for such. They reasoned that people like us who wanted to exchange audience-recorded concerts for no monetary gain were harmless, or indeed TRUE fans, who (obviously) paid for concert tickets, and bought the official music releases, merchandise, etc.

Heck, when it comes to Floyd, I can't shut up, but I've written more than enough for one night!

Without getting too deep into this and derailing the entire thread, I am plenty aware of ROIOs and VOIOs. I have the Live8 performance on DVD in pretty good quality as well as the Venice show from that tour and the San Diego show from Division Bell (because I attended that one) on video as well. I'm also aware they used to work out new songs on tour e.g. Raving and Drooling. Unfortunately I was never able to see them before Roger left even though I lived in Seattle the summer of the Animals tour in '77. They inexplicably bypassed Seattle only playing Portland in the Northwest and in those days getting tix to an out of town show was nigh on to impossible. Before that I didn't live in a city where they played, ever. I did see the Momentary Lapse tour once and the Division Bell tour twice. Also saw Roger doing The Wall a few years back (top 10 concert of the over 300 I've attended, just simply amazing!) and his Us+Them tour back to back nights year before last. He's going out again this summer and will be in the round which ought to be interesting. He'll be in my metro area in late September and I will of course be going.

I sincerely hope you've had the chance to see Floyd or Roger. The shows are as good as live concerts get both visually and sonically.

Oh, and I'm a fan of the Syd stuff as well.
    hawksfansinceday1
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:11 pm
  • Largent80 wrote:Thanks for insulting me.

You are awesome at it, and I am priveledged to be part of your awesome assessment of humans since you are so obviously not one, or if you are one, view yourself ABOVE ALL OTHERS..

I think in the dictionary (maybe the Urban)...You would be a Jackoff. In other words you jack your neck and spew out your cu* of $h!t. Congrats for that. Not easy to achieve.

And, you said you had me on "ignore."

So nice to have a stalker.
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:58 pm
  • mistaowen
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:21 pm
  • DomeHawk wrote:
    MontanaHawk05 wrote:[list=][/list]
    DomeHawk wrote:
    MontanaHawk05 wrote:It will never end.

Ah, an optimist.

Not too sure of many things but yes, we, like the others whom have preceded us, are doomed to extinction.

Just a matter of time.

Oh, that's not optimism. It will never end - nor will the incessant bickering over stupid matters where nobody is ever proven right yet everyone rushes to public forums to argue about them.

It's a dystopian prediction, actually, just drawn out.

The OP was never about anyone being right but simply a discussion about possible ways we could end. I included just a few.

Is that really so difficult for you?

I had the Seahawks bickering more in mind than anything else.

So, yeah...you're the one whose head this flew over.
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:19 am
  • MontanaHawk05 wrote:
    DomeHawk wrote:
    MontanaHawk05 wrote:[list=][/list]
    DomeHawk wrote:
    Ah, an optimist.

Not too sure of many things but yes, we, like the others whom have preceded us, are doomed to extinction.

Just a matter of time.

Oh, that's not optimism. It will never end - nor will the incessant bickering over stupid matters where nobody is ever proven right yet everyone rushes to public forums to argue about them.

It's a dystopian prediction, actually, just drawn out.

The OP was never about anyone being right but simply a discussion about possible ways we could end. I included just a few.

Is that really so difficult for you?

I had the Seahawks bickering more in mind than anything else.

So, yeah...you're the one whose head this flew over.

Over MY head? So, what does the Seahawks' bickering have to do with "How the Human Race Will End?"
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:34 am
  • It's happening now...I've read online that it will kill 2 percent of the worlds population. It was in a comments section so it has to be true.

https://theprovince.com/news/world/apoc ... 1579900302
    Last edited by Cyrus12 on Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Cyrus12
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:13 pm
  • We only have 10 years left soo
    Ambrose83
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:44 pm
  • Giant Asteroid 2020 !!!!!!

No party affiiation, just please take us out.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:05 am
  • Ambrose83 wrote:We only have 10 years left soo

Remind me when we are getting close, I’m going to charge $h!t like a MF’er and stop paying my bills.
    #tag griftmode
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:45 am
  • WWIII. As global climate change continues to lead to more frequent and more devastating natural disasters, resources will become scarcer, human migration will become more pronounced, and the widespread human mindsets of "nationalism" and "me-first" will lead to more and more regional conflicts that eventually escalate and meld into a truly world-wide conflict that will devastate the human population.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:27 pm
  • Sports Hernia wrote:
    Ambrose83 wrote:We only have 10 years left soo

Remind me when we are getting close, I’m going to charge $h!t like a MF’er and stop paying my bills.
    #tag griftmode

We've only had 10 years left for at least 20 years now. I wouldn't charge too much. :)
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:51 pm
  • Largent80 wrote:Giant Asteroid 2020 !!!!!!

I'd forgotten this for years, but in my first year in primary school, older kids terrorised us by stories a giant rock was going to hit the Earth, right where our school was! My dad told me the headmaster had to call an assembly to officially deny it, and threaten the cane for anyone who kept going on about what today would be called fake news. I was bloody terrified, and I started sleeping under the bed!

And for quite a while I'd actually wake up under the bed, having moved there when asleep.
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:28 pm
  • Evolution...we will eventually evolve into something other than hom* sapien
    rjas77
    NET Rookie

Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:49 pm
  • Aussie Seahawk wrote:
    Largent80 wrote:Giant Asteroid 2020 !!!!!!

I'd forgotten this for years, but in my first year in primary school, older kids terrorised us by stories a giant rock was going to hit the Earth, right where our school was! My dad told me the headmaster had to call an assembly to officially deny it, and threaten the cane for anyone who kept going on about what today would be called fake news. I was bloody terrified, and I started sleeping under the bed!

And for quite a while I'd actually wake up under the bed, having moved there when asleep.

This is actually pretty funny although I am sure you didn't think so at the time. Could spawn a whole thread about things that terrified you as a kid.
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:19 pm

Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:38 pm
  • rjas77 wrote:Evolution...we will eventually evolve into something other than hom* sapien

I call laser eyes!
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:42 pm
  • rjas77 wrote:Evolution...we will eventually evolve into something other than hom* sapien

Didn't work too well for the dinosaurs.
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:35 pm
  • DomeHawk wrote:
    Aussie Seahawk wrote:And for quite a while I'd actually wake up under the bed, having moved there when asleep.

This is actually pretty funny although I am sure you didn't think so at the time. Could spawn a whole thread about things that terrified you as a kid.

OK, you first! :D
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:45 pm
  • DomeHawk wrote:
    rjas77 wrote:Evolution...we will eventually evolve into something other than hom* sapien

Didn't work too well for the dinosaurs.

I sometimes wonder how things would have turned out if the meteorite which created the Chicxulub Crater and is hypothesised to have led to the dinosaurs' extinction had never hit the Earth.
    Last edited by Aussie Seahawk on Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:41 pm
  • HawkGA wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:
    Ambrose83 wrote:We only have 10 years left soo

#tag griftmode

We've only had 10 years left for at least 20 years now. I wouldn't charge too much. :)

Dream killer!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:45 pm
  • I'll answer this question.

It will end due to an abundance of assault style firearms.
    Ace_Rimmer
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:47 pm
  • Ace_Rimmer wrote:I'll answer this question.

It will end due to an abundance of assault style firearms.

How could that be when it seems that I've read here that no one is able to identify an assault weapon?
    hawksfansinceday1
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Previous

It is currently Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:26 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE LOUNGE ]

Information