Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Anyone Work(ed) in Auto Insurance?

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics, multimedia, and classified ads (Must be a contributing member to post any ads). No PWR. LANGUAGE: PG-13
Anyone Work(ed) in Auto Insurance?
Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:51 am
  • I am looking for someone who may have heard about mistakes/scams like this:

I received an email from my auto insurance company stating that they were wanting to get in touch with me regarding a claim. We never filed a claim for the date listed but the email looked legit. Obviously scammers can make pretty good fake emails, so I went to my app and there was a claim. Upon reading the claim, it tells me the day and place this accident supposedly happened. Neither my wife nor I, nor that car were there on that day. I called the insurance company and told them all of this, so they are going to look into it. I was just curious if this is something that happens on a regular basis and if so, is there some type of scam where they report accidents that didn't happen or if they may have somehow made a mistake somewhere along the line and gotten our car/policy mixed up with someone else. It seems really strange and it's not anything I'd heard of or read about happening before.
    kidhawk
    NET Ring Of Honor

Re: Anyone Work(ed) in Auto Insurance?
Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:15 am
  • I'm part owner of an insurance/financial agency, and I can tell you very rarely would your carrier contact you via email in regards to a new claim........unless that's the only point of contact they have on file.

For legal purposes the adjuster needs to talk to you on the phone so they can have a recorded statement on file. So like I said, VERY rare that the first point of contact is email.

You did the right thing, let your company investigate. In the mean time, don't click on any of the email links or talk to anyone else until you hear back from your carrier.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:43 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:I'm part owner of an insurance/financial agency, and I can tell you very rarely would your carrier contact you via email in regards to a new claim........unless that's the only point of contact they have on file.

For legal purposes the adjuster needs to talk to you on the phone so they can have a recorded statement on file. So like I said, VERY rare that the first point of contact is email.

You did the right thing, let your company investigate. In the mean time, don't click on any of the email links or talk to anyone else until you hear back from your carrier.

I think I may have requested email contact in my profile when I set up my online account, but I'm not 100% on that.

I definitely didn't click anything through the email, but the claim is real and was confirmed when I logged into my account and also when I called to inform them of the issue. It's really strange, as I said, we weren't at the location of the claimed accident on that day so I'm not sure how anyone could have filed a claim against us, but hopefully the insurance company will get to the bottom of it.

The accident itself sounds like a minor damage type accident, so my main concern is that the insurance company might find it cheaper to pay it instead of fighting it, but hopefully that's not the case, because if they pay it then they'd likely count it against us and our rates would suffer.
    kidhawk
    NET Ring Of Honor

Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:45 am
  • Wow, that's scary. I get fake stuff from "PayPal" all the time. I spam it immediately. I also spam any site that will not unsubscribe you when you request it.

There's a LOT of this stuff that goes on.

My wife is a professor at Lone Star College and also a licensed marriage and family therapist. 2 years ago this "couple" from supposedly Canada wanted to hire her for therapy and supposedly would be visiting the states on a trip and wanted a week of appointments.

My wife gave them the price and they sent the check (a cashiers check) no less. They included $1,000 more than was agreed upon and I immediately told my wife it was a scam. We took the check to our bank, sure as $h!t, it was worth NOTHING.....So if we would have cashed it, we would have been out $2,400 !!!!!!!

That's pretty extreme if you ask me, for someone to even think of this.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:01 am
  • kidhawk wrote:
    The accident itself sounds like a minor damage type accident, so my main concern is that the insurance company might find it cheaper to pay it instead of fighting it, but hopefully that's not the case, because if they pay it then they'd likely count it against us and our rates would suffer.

Your company isn't going to pay on a claim that;

- you said you weren't in
    - there's no evidence both witness wise or damage to your car wise
    - there's no police report corroborating the other party's statement that you caused the accident

So unless you have a kid that's not telling the truth, or allowed someone to borrow your car and they hit someone else, then I don't know how your company would agree to fault for an accident you and your wife put on record of not being anywhere near the accident scene.

Believe me, companies love to not pay claims, it's kind of their favorite thing. So if this didn't happen, they're not going to pay.......unless like I said there are witnesses, a police report or other corroborating evidence contradicting what you say.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:17 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    kidhawk wrote:

Your company isn't going to pay on a claim that;

- you said you weren't in
    - there's no evidence both witness wise or damage to your car wise
    - there's no police report corroborating the other party's statement that you caused the accident

So unless you have a kid that's not telling the truth, or allowed someone to borrow your car and they hit someone else, then I don't know how your company would agree to fault for an accident you and your wife put on record of not being anywhere near the accident scene.

Believe me, companies love to not pay claims, it's kind of their favorite thing. So if this didn't happen, they're not going to pay.......unless like I said there are witnesses, a police report or other corroborating evidence contradicting what you say.

I was personally driving that particular car that day, so I know it wasn't anyone else. There was no police report, and I have no idea if they have any witnesses. I suppose if it was a scam of some sort they may have false witnesses, but I have no idea about that at this time.

I am glad to hear that you don't think they'd pay it. I would assume that my insurance will eventually deny the claim for possible fraud, and send it back to the claimant's insurance company (it was their insurance who sent the claim to my insurer). Then they can deal with it from there. I just worry that if push comes to shove, it might be cheaper to cut a check for $1,000 worth of repairs rather than pay lawyers to push the fight, but I'd hope not, and I will push for them not to pay, but I know that I don't really have any control over their decision. I can only tell them the facts as I know them and hope they do the right thing.

I do hope that whatever happens, they get to the bottom of it and let me know how this happened, because I find it to be a serious head scratcher right now.
    kidhawk
    NET Ring Of Honor

Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:03 pm
  • So, I've received a bit more information from my insurance company. The person handling the claim called me back after getting in touch with the claimant's insurance company. They supposedly have a picture of the vehicle with my license plate number, and a photo of the driver's identification. The license plate number she said they have matches the license plates on our car, and I confirmed they are still on our car, but the name on the ID doesn't match anyone I know. Still not sure what exactly is happening, but hopefully will get to the bottom of it. I am guessing here that if they had some fake license plates on their vehicle, the ID may have been just as fake, so we may never know the who or why, but I'm hoping to get to the bottom of it.
    kidhawk
    NET Ring Of Honor

Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:14 pm
  • kidhawk wrote:So, I've received a bit more information from my insurance company. The person handling the claim called me back after getting in touch with the claimant's insurance company. They supposedly have a picture of the vehicle with my license plate number, and a photo of the driver's identification. The license plate number she said they have matches the license plates on our car, and I confirmed they are still on our car, but the name on the ID doesn't match anyone I know. Still not sure what exactly is happening, but hopefully will get to the bottom of it. I am guessing here that if they had some fake license plates on their vehicle, the ID may have been just as fake, so we may never know the who or why, but I'm hoping to get to the bottom of it.

That is weird.............and yes sounds like either the other party got the wrong car, or there's some shenanigans going on with the person that actually hit them.

Well now I'm intrigued, so keep us posted.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:20 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    kidhawk wrote:So, I've received a bit more information from my insurance company. The person handling the claim called me back after getting in touch with the claimant's insurance company. They supposedly have a picture of the vehicle with my license plate number, and a photo of the driver's identification. The license plate number she said they have matches the license plates on our car, and I confirmed they are still on our car, but the name on the ID doesn't match anyone I know. Still not sure what exactly is happening, but hopefully will get to the bottom of it. I am guessing here that if they had some fake license plates on their vehicle, the ID may have been just as fake, so we may never know the who or why, but I'm hoping to get to the bottom of it.

That is weird.............and yes sounds like either the other party got the wrong car, or there's some shenanigans going on with the person that actually hit them.

Well now I'm intrigued, so keep us posted.

My claim rep called me back again. After speaking to the other insurance company, the car in the photo is obviously not the same make/model of our car, so they are denying the claim. They said that they are supposed to receive a copy of the photo for their files and it will be available for me to view in my online claim once they have it. I'll be interested to see if the plate really matches ours or if there was a transposition of numbers or some other simple error. If it's just a simple error then I can be done with this issue, but if the plate does match, then it opens up a whole other issue which means I'll probably end up having to get new plates for our car.
    kidhawk
    NET Ring Of Honor

Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:51 pm
  • There are so many scams being perpetrated nowadays that it is almost impossible to keep up with them. They are getting more and more sophisticated too.

I have become naturally skeptical of anything I receive online.
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:08 pm
  • DomeHawk wrote:I have become naturally skeptical of anything I receive online.

Probably the best attitude to have overall.
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:12 pm
  • Largent80 wrote:Wow, that's scary. I get fake stuff from "PayPal" all the time. I spam it immediately. I also spam any site that will not unsubscribe you when you request it.

There's a LOT of this stuff that goes on.

My wife is a professor at Lone Star College and also a licensed marriage and family therapist. 2 years ago this "couple" from supposedly Canada wanted to hire her for therapy and supposedly would be visiting the states on a trip and wanted a week of appointments.

My wife gave them the price and they sent the check (a cashiers check) no less. They included $1,000 more than was agreed upon and I immediately told my wife it was a scam. We took the check to our bank, sure as $h!t, it was worth NOTHING.....So if we would have cashed it, we would have been out $2,400 !!!!!!!

That's pretty extreme if you ask me, for someone to even think of this.

I believe the premise of this scam was for you to cash the check and refund the extra $1000 to the "couple." If you cashed the check and it was found to be fraudulent you would not be out anything, you would simply refund the $2400 back to the bank. (Unless you were dumb enough to refund the extra $1000 that is.)
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:29 pm
  • Just remember some of these scams only want your account number and will access your account to find what you have in it and steal it. It happens all the time now. I tell my bank to not put my account number on anything I deposit any more. I want no knowledge of it on there. I have a check coming for a fraud thing again this year and will cash it without impunity on my account. I made sure of the situation before I cashed it last year. Buyer Beware is not an old story. It is gaining prominence now really bad.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:01 pm
  • Just to update this for what is likely the last time. The insurance company sent the picture of the license plate today. It was taken at a really poor angle. All the Numbers/Letters are the same except for one. Our car has an "F" and there's has an "E". The picture was taken from an overhead angle and the bottom line of the E is nearly off the picture. I had to look really closely to be able to see it. Doesn't help that it had a thin layer of snow as well.

Anyway, that solves the mystery of the no accident claim.
    kidhawk
    NET Ring Of Honor

Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:27 pm
  • kidhawk wrote:Just to update this for what is likely the last time. The insurance company sent the picture of the license plate today. It was taken at a really poor angle. All the Numbers/Letters are the same except for one. Our car has an "F" and there's has an "E". The picture was taken from an overhead angle and the bottom line of the E is nearly off the picture. I had to look really closely to be able to see it. Doesn't help that it had a thin layer of snow as well.

Anyway, that solves the mystery of the no accident claim.

Good to hear. Never a good feeling when you know you're in the right and still feeling like you might be getting scammed.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

It is currently Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:54 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE LOUNGE ]

Information