Do Not Sell My Personal Information

In Floyd we Trust

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics, multimedia, and classified ads (Must be a contributing member to post any ads). No PWR. LANGUAGE: PG-13
In Floyd we Trust
Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:16 am
  • (quoting Hawksfansincedayone)

"Without getting too deep into this and derailing the entire thread, I am plenty aware of ROIOs and VOIOs. I have the Live8 performance on DVD in pretty good quality as well as the Venice show from that tour and the San Diego show from Division Bell (because I attended that one) on video as well. I'm also aware they used to work out new songs on tour e.g. Raving and Drooling. Unfortunately I was never able to see them before Roger left even though I lived in Seattle the summer of the Animals tour in '77. They inexplicably bypassed Seattle only playing Portland in the Northwest and in those days getting tix to an out of town show was nigh on to impossible. Before that I didn't live in a city where they played, ever. I did see the Momentary Lapse tour once and the Division Bell tour twice. Also saw Roger doing The Wall a few years back (top 10 concert of the over 300 I've attended, just simply amazing!) and his Us+Them tour back to back nights year before last. He's going out again this summer and will be in the round which ought to be interesting. He'll be in my metro area in late September and I will of course be going.

I sincerely hope you've had the chance to see Floyd or Roger. The shows are as good as live concerts get both visually and sonically.

Oh, and I'm a fan of the Syd stuff as well."
    ____________________________________________________________________________

Firstly, sorry I “assumed” you didn’t know about ROIOs and VOIOs! Of course, it is not a competition(!) but I learned so much on the 5-6 years I was active on the Echoes mailing list. It was “Echoesians” who I stayed with and met up with during my month in America in 1996.

I recall there was much controversy involving the concert in Venice, and the entire city council resigned over the furore. I saw the Momentary Lapse tour in Adelaide in February 1988, but Australia missed out on the Division Bell tour, because Dave’s wife was about to have a baby. Curse the bloody woman! :) The only other Australian tour they did was in 1971; I was only 11 and had never heard of them then. They didn’t come to Adelaide… but as an aside, the Beatles did, in 1964! 300,000 people packed the streets in front of the Town Hall, which was half the population of the city at the time. It’s the biggest crowd the Beatles ever attracted.

I have seen Rog 4 times! Adelaide in 2007 (DSOTM) and 2018 (Us+Them), and in Melbourne in 2002 (In the Flesh) and 2012 (The Wall). Excited there is a new tour; will have to see if he makes it to Australia(???) and if there is a new album. He (and the Floyd) are probably the best concerts I’ve been to, but Dire Straits (1986, Brothers in Arms tour) comes very close.

I’ve got Syd’s first two albums on vinyl, but only have “Opel” on tape. Of his early Floyd stuff, I especially love his “Jugband Blues” song on “A Saucerful of Secrets” with the haunting closing lyrics:

“And the sea isn't green
    And I love the queen
    And what exactly is a dream
    And what exactly is a joke”

Have you got the CD “Pink Floyd Cre/ation The Early Years 1967-1972? It is superb, and it’s just a sampler from a massive box set I’m thinking of asking for, for my 60th birthday in March. But… it is HUGE (28 discs, around A$780 for a very deluxe version!)

Anyway, this CD I have has some absolute gems on it, including:

2010 remixes of “Matilda Mother” and “Jugband Blues”
    “Flaming” (BBC Session, 1967) previously only on ROIO
    “In the Beechwoods” (A previously unreleased Syd song I’d never heard of)
    “Point Me at the Sky” (only ever previously released on single (“Careful with that Axe, Eugene” was the B-side!), and on a bonus disc on the “Shine On” box set, which I don’t have)
    “Embryo” (AFAIK, only previously released on “Works” – a compilation album)
    “Grantchester Meadows” (BBC Session 1969) – I’ve walked through these meadows, from Cambridge to the little village of Grantchester.
    “Cymbaline” (BBC Session 1969) – love the soundtrack to the film “More” but found the movie rather a chore.
    “Interstellar Overdrive” (Live at the Paradiso, Amsterdam, Netherlands 1969)
    “Careful with that Axe, Eugene” (BBC Session 1969)
    Five remixes of tracks from the “Zabriskie Point” film soundtrack, AFAIK never released before. I absolutely LOVE Zabriskie Point, but it was an utter flop, and even most Floyd fans hate it.
    “Atom Heart Mother” (live in Montreux, France 1970) - just the band, no orchestra. Haunting vocal harmonies.
    “Nothing Part 14” (never heard it before – it is the instrumental leading up to the final lyrics of “Echoes”, after the “seabirds” section. Absolute jean-creamer, to use a crude expression.
    “Childhood’s End”, “Free Four”, “Stay” (2016 remixes) – I love “Obscured by Clouds” and the film “La Vallée” it is the soundtrack of is quite good.

PMATS also has poignant Rog lyrics:

“And if you survive till two thousand and five
    I hope you're exceedingly thin
    For if you are stout you will have to breathe out
    So the man next to you can breathe in (breathe in, breathe in, breathe in)”

BTW, the “Shine On” box set was widely criticised by people on the Echoes ML, and the 4-disc ROIO “Total Eclipse” rules the skies of Floyd zealots. Have you got it? It was produced by Great Dane Records, a legendary Italian “Bakery.”

Have you ever seen “The Australian Pink Floyd Show”? They have toured many times in the US. They were formed in Adelaide in the late 80s, founded by a guy called Lee Smith, who is a friend of a friend, although I didn’t know him at the time. The first time I saw them was in the late 80s (they were called “Think Floyd” originally, in a pub in Adelaide, playing to maybe 150 people, but they became massive when they began touring the world.

There are of course hordes of Floyd tribute bands, and some are very good. Nothing like hearing

“ping”

and knowing you’re going to be treated to live “Echoes”!

The most inventive name I’ve heard for a tribute band is “Anderson Council”… and I’m gonna guess you know why(?)
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Re: In Floyd we Trust
Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:53 am
  • (Pink) Anderson and (Floyd) Council of course. That is absolutely brilliant!

First of all, I'm really happy you got to see Floyd in '88 and have seen Rog quite a number of times. The visual and audio level of the both is pretty much unmatched in the concert business imo.
    I never got to see Dire Straits and I am jealous. I've seen a LOT of bands but never them.
    Have not seen Australian Floyd or Brit Floyd. Not a huge tribute band guy. Saw a Beatles tribute band once and a Doors trib band once but that's it.

Also not a big box set or ROIO guy. I mostly collect ROIOs of concerts I've attended (though I do have an Animals tour audio boot, the one from Oakland). As such I have the Rose Bowl Floyd show from the DB tour. I also have the VOIO of the San Diego show 2 nights before as I was at that one too. I do collect a lot VOIOs of quite a number of bands. In terms of Floyd besides the 2 mentioned, I have a copy of The Wall from Earl's Court which is visually and sonically below standard but watchable. Also have Pompeii and some other early stuff as well like the live performance in the KQED San Francisco studio and one each from Roger's The Wall and Us+Them, etc.

My number one band ever by a large margin, The Beatles and has been since that night in Feb. of '64 watching their first appearance on American TV.
    hawksfansinceday1
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:29 pm
  • Hey Aussie, just bought my ticket to see Roger on the This Is Not A Drill tour Sept. 21 here in my area (Portland, OR). The show is being presented in the round which should be interesting. I saw Yes in the round many years ago and thought it was a great viewing experience.
    Hoping for your sake he takes it down your way in 2021.
    hawksfansinceday1
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:13 pm
  • Pink Floyd is a top 3 band for me. I wasnt really a fan of the psychedelic Syd days but I wish I would of seen Roger and David live together. I have been to Brit Floyd and wow was I impressed. I had my reserva8with a tribute band but they were spot on. Great light show and really friendly guys as they took the time to talk to fans in an autograph session after the show.

The wall has to be one best albums in music history.
    Cyrus12
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:38 pm
  • hawksfansinceday1 wrote:Hey Aussie, just bought my ticket to see Roger on the This Is Not A Drill tour Sept. 21 here in my area (Portland, OR). The show is being presented in the round which should be interesting. I saw Yes in the round many years ago and thought it was a great viewing experience.
    Hoping for your sake he takes it down your way in 2021.

Congrats! I see there is not actually a new album, though. I will of course go if he comes to Australia. Does the stage revolve in "the round" format? Or could you be permanently behind the stage?

Very envious you saw Yes. I play "Yessongs" very often. I have quite a bit of Yes material, but nowhere near everything. My favourite Yes track would probably be "The Gates of Delirium" but "Starship Troopers - 'Wurm'" is wonderful too.

A lot of people find Jon Anderson's voice annoying, and say Yes is far too "rambly" - but not me!

I've also got John Anderson's "Olias of Sunhillow" album, plus of course he does some vocals on King Crimspon's "Lizard" album. Also have quite a bit of Rick Wakeman's work. I'm a total sucker for the massive pipe organ. When we were in York, England (where I lived until I was 3) a few years ago, I was looking at the massive organ in York Minster, the spectacular Gothic cathedral. I'm not remotely religious, but it is an awe-inspiring building, and you can feel the very Faith emanating from the bones of stone.

I said to my wife that I would LOVE to hear Rick Wakeman play that organ, and one of the volunteer guides came over and said "So would I." I find "The Six Wives of Henry VIII" truly majestic, and even his ambient material, to me, easily leaps the gulf of "muzack", which isn't easy to do ("Sea Airs" and "Country Airs"). I've got quite a lot of ambient music from many musicians, which some folks could find very boring to listen to.
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:52 pm
  • Cyrus12 wrote:Pink Floyd is a top 3 band for me. I wasnt really a fan of the psychedelic Syd days but I wish I would of seen Roger and David live together. I have been to Brit Floyd and wow was I impressed. I had my reserva8with a tribute band but they were spot on. Great light show and really friendly guys as they took the time to talk to fans in an autograph session after the show.

The wall has to be one best albums in music history.

I agree. I think The Wall is probably my favourite Floyd album. As Rog says, it is his favourite because it is "the most complete album." He would, of course! :)

Indeed I would also have loved to have seen Rog and Dave together. I remember when McCartney and Lennon fueded, I thought "Rog and Dave would never do that" (very naively). I realise Syd isn't everyone's cup of tea. Even I can't really cope with "Effervescing Elephant."

But he was a unique genius. I can't remember if it came to fruition, but the folks on the Echoes mailing list were organising to donate a park bench to the city of Cambridge, in honour of Syd, when he passed away in 2006. I'd long since stopped being active on the List, and didn't even know about it. He got terribly upset when people insisted in visiting his house; he was a very private person.

Brit Floyd were at least partly formed by disgruntled Australian Pink Floyd Show members, but I know nothing of the details. I remember being at Lee Smith's house (the founder of APFS) many years ago, and maybe rather stupidly asked him to "play something." He told me in no uncertain terms "I'm not a performing animal." I apologised profusely and he was fine, just a very quiet and private person, who rapidly tired of the endless touring in the band's early days.
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:16 am
  • hawksfansinceday1 wrote:(Pink) Anderson and (Floyd) Council of course. That is absolutely brilliant!

First of all, I'm really happy you got to see Floyd in '88 and have seen Rog quite a number of times. The visual and audio level of the both is pretty much unmatched in the concert business imo.
    I never got to see Dire Straits and I am jealous. I've seen a LOT of bands but never them.
    Have not seen Australian Floyd or Brit Floyd. Not a huge tribute band guy. Saw a Beatles tribute band once and a Doors trib band once but that's it.

Also not a big box set or ROIO guy. I mostly collect ROIOs of concerts I've attended (though I do have an Animals tour audio boot, the one from Oakland). As such I have the Rose Bowl Floyd show from the DB tour. I also have the VOIO of the San Diego show 2 nights before as I was at that one too. I do collect a lot VOIOs of quite a number of bands. In terms of Floyd besides the 2 mentioned, I have a copy of The Wall from Earl's Court which is visually and sonically below standard but watchable. Also have Pompeii and some other early stuff as well like the live performance in the KQED San Francisco studio and one each from Roger's The Wall and Us+Them, etc.

My number one band ever by a large margin, The Beatles and has been since that night in Feb. of '64 watching their first appearance on American TV.

Wow, you were only 7, too! I led a terribly sheltered rural life as a kid, as far as music was concerned. We had no TV until 1972, when I was 12 (one channel to choose from!), and the local radio (2 AM stations; FM didn't come to Adelaide until around 1980!) was terribly conservative. Would you believe I had never even HEARD of the Beatles until I went to boarding school in Adelaide in 1972?! Discovering good music was the one and only good thing about boarding school.

The Earl's Court VOIO is indeed terrible in quality. I have a better quality copy of KQED, and quite a decent ROIO of the Oakland show (9 May 1977). The problem with video back then was we had PAL "Pictures at Last" format VHS, and you folks had NTSC "Never Twice the Same Colour". I am just joking, but the squabbling over that format difference equalled the bloody Windows/Mac "discussions." BTW, this was all supposed to be banned on the List, just like PWR here is. But any "Which One's Pink?" discussion ("Rog v Dave") was ruthlessly banned, as is right. Geez, just celebrate their collaborative synergy!

I was lucky that I worked in a hospital in which the Media Dept could do transposing to/from NTSC/PAL, in the mid-late 90s, which was very expensive if done by a commercial shop, plus these were squeamish about copyright stuff. After all the copying of tapes, and transposing, etc... the tapes were very crappy... but still cherished. I haven't looked at them in years, although I do have a perfectly functional VHS recorder.
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:52 am
  • I have a crappy version of live at Earl's court as well. I wish it were better quality but it's almost unwatchable. From the old limewire days...
    Cyrus12
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:34 am
  • Cyrus12 wrote:I have a crappy version of live at Earl's court as well. I wish it were better quality but it's almost unwatchable. From the old limewire days...

Rog in his stark white t-shirt with "1" on it... yes, the quality is dead-awful. But how good to see (sort of!) the tracks which were played in the concert which weren't on the studio album of The Wall. "What Shall We Do Now" (possibly the greatest of all the Rog rants) and "The Last Spare Bricks" (as the long-suffering roadies finished the Wall)... SO great in concert.

Limewire... my computer got destroyed in my attempts to use it, not that I have any excuse. I had no idea what I was doing, and of course there is a word for it.
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:42 am
  • I'll tell you what guys, someone has a high quality version of that Earls Court show cuz I saw a couple of snippets on a Floyd documentary (I think a Japanese one) and it was gorgeous. I suspect it's Roger and he doesn't want to release it because the concept was his baby and he doesn't want it out as a Floyd production.
    Admittedly it's also possible just some snippets are all that exist but my gut tells me he's got the whole.

Aussie: no idea if the stage will rotate slowly. That's what Yes did in the round. I would hope that would be the case. I will of course let you know on 9/22 after I've seen him 9/21
    hawksfansinceday1
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:45 am

Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:32 am
  • Thanks, IndyHawk. A very succinctly written article.
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:41 pm
  • Aussie Seahawk wrote:Thanks, IndyHawk. A very succinctly written article.

YW..
    The thing is there are many articles of imformation on there which is
    what I found interesting..
    The site isn't active anymore but yet is still up(strange) but good for
    those who have never been there. :irishdrinkers:
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

It is currently Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:59 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE LOUNGE ]

Information