Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Asian Pear Juice for Hangovers?

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics, multimedia, and classified ads (Must be a contributing member to post any ads). No PWR. LANGUAGE: PG-13
Asian Pear Juice for Hangovers?
Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:27 pm
  • This is the latest in what has been a century's-old search for that elusive remedy to the excruciatingly painful next-morning hangover.

One of my all-time favorite things to do in life has been to meet my buds at one of our favorite watering holes on Friday after work and toss down. Most of us had pretty stressful careers and it was the perfect time to wind down after a hellish week. Of course we would over imbibe and that, at least for me, led to some serious hangovers. Looking back I don't know which was worse, the hangover or the ex-wife giving me $h!t over it. In either case I have eliminated one of those and I still have hangovers. And, as I get older they seem to get worse which has led me to limit these outings.

I haven't tried this yet but I am going to get some and try to remember to drink it before I go out next time.

If any of you have tried this let me know and post it here please.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/pears-pr ... 0f99d88c0f
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

Re: Asian Pear Juice for Hangovers?
Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:53 pm
  • The only sure-fire cure for a hangover is non-installation. :twisted:
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:54 pm
  • The study says the pears block or inhibit the body's alcohol absorption, which means it's not really curing or slowing down your hanger, it's slowing down you getting drunk...................AND I CANNOT ABIDE BY THAT NONSENSE! I DRINK TO GET DRUNK!

I SAID GOOD DAY!!!!
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:06 pm
  • Only thing that’s ever helped me while hungover is marijuana.

Night before tho? Eat some food and hydrate before bed.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:09 pm
  • Hangovers are almost entirely dehydration...there's no mystery to it......order (and fully drink) a glass of water with each alcoholic drink you imbibe and you're fine the next morning. The only exception is if you drink so much that your liver still hasn't been able to process it all by the next morning, and nothing can finish that process but time.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:11 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:The study says the pears block or inhibit the body's alcohol absorption, which means it's not really curing or slowing down your hanger, it's slowing down you getting drunk...................AND I CANNOT ABIDE BY THAT NONSENSE! I DRINK TO GET DRUNK!

While I appreciate your sentiment, I don't think it as as simple as that:

"There may be several ways by which pears could prevent hangovers. Our review has uncovered both animal and human studies trying to answer this question. It appears that the factors in Korean pears act on the key enzymes involved in alcohol metabolism, alcohol dehydrogenase (ADH) and aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH) to speed up alcohol metabolism and elimination or inhibition of alcohol absorption. In particular, reductions were seen in blood acetaldehyde levels, the toxic metabolic thought to be responsible for the hangover symptoms, with pear juice consumption."

In other words, it may just speed up alcohol metabolism and/or eliminate the toxic elements of alcohol. For me, that amounts to more enjoyment as I have a tendency to drink too fast.

https://blog.csiro.au/pre-pair-yourself ... revention/
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:29 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:Hangovers are almost entirely dehydration...there's no mystery to it......order (and fully drink) a glass of water with each alcoholic drink you imbibe and you're fine the next morning. The only exception is if you drink so much that your liver still hasn't been able to process it all by the next morning, and nothing can finish that process but time.

"You can't be hungover if you never go to sleep." - Abraham Lincoln
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:08 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:"You can't be hungover if you never go to sleep." - Abraham Lincoln

A valid point. ;)
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:16 pm
  • Wierd stuff.....L Cystine....It actually did cut the effects of hangovers. It is an amino acid that is created by the body...may want to try some of that at the end of the night so the body can destroy the last 40 percent of alcohol in the stomach. I do understand.

One more thing....O2 may help. I dont usually do it but may try it in april when I am in Vegas at one of them O2 bars in the fremont realm.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:24 pm
  • Seahawkfan80 wrote:Wierd stuff.....L Cystine....It actually did cut the effects of hangovers. It is an amino acid that is created by the body...may want to try some of that at the end of the night so the body can destroy the last 40 percent of alcohol in the stomach. I do understand.

One more thing....O2 may help. I dont usually do it but may try it in april when I am in Vegas at one of them O2 bars in the fremont realm.

Supposedly O2 does work. That was the rumor around my squadron, the aircrews would take a few brief breaths from their facemasks and all would be well. Was never able to test it myself, though. I just fixed them, I didn't ride in them. ;)
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:51 pm
  • Always just ate a Peanut Butter sandwich before bed and no problems the next day.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:18 pm
  • Vitamin Water Zeros work wonders for me. Adds all the crap back you lose when imbibing. Potassium, Vitamin B, electrolytes, etc... Downing a ton of water before crashing (yes even if you have to wake up to take a mean piss a couple hours later) also is huge since dehydration is the main enemy of consuming the night before.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:38 am
  • The best way to not have a hangover is to not be a sissy.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:27 am
  • DomeHawk wrote:"There may be several ways by which pears could prevent hangovers. Our review has uncovered both animal and human studies trying to answer this question. It appears that the factors in Korean pears act on the key enzymes involved in alcohol metabolism, alcohol dehydrogenase (ADH) and aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH) to speed up alcohol metabolism and elimination or inhibition of alcohol absorption. In particular, reductions were seen in blood acetaldehyde levels, the toxic metabolic thought to be responsible for the hangover symptoms, with pear juice consumption."

In other words, it may just speed up alcohol metabolism and/or eliminate the toxic elements of alcohol. For me, that amounts to more enjoyment as I have a tendency to drink too fast.

This biochemistry is used in the reverse to try to help alcoholics abstain. Disulfiram is a drug used to support the treatment of chronic alcoholism by producing an acute sensitivity to ethanol. Disulfiram works by inhibiting the enzyme acetaldehyde dehydrogenase, causing many of the effects of a hangover to be felt immediately following alcohol consumption.

But there's still the dehydration cause of hangovers, as folks have said above.

Just stay drunk! :)
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:44 am
  • Pedialyte.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:46 am
  • Scientists claim that extreme hangovers are a side effect from being a puss and a UW fan. I can't find the link but if i do i'll post it for you. Drink more water. Easier said then done when your having a good time.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:12 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:Hangovers are almost entirely dehydration...there's no mystery to it......order (and fully drink) a glass of water with each alcoholic drink you imbibe and you're fine the next morning. The only exception is if you drink so much that your liver still hasn't been able to process it all by the next morning, and nothing can finish that process but time.

Quoted for truth.

The only “cure”for a hangover is time and re-hydration.

Drinking a good glass full, or bottle of water between every alcoholic drink will go a long ways towards preventing the hangover.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:23 am
  • Aussie Seahawk wrote:Just stay drunk! :)

A little 'hair of the dog that bit me last night'.

Or, during a particularly heinous hangover, a little 'd*ck of the dog that...' well, you get the idea. This is the Lounge, after all!

:irishdrinkers: :2thumbs:
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:49 am
  • I find Asian pu$$y juice to cure a lot of ills.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:04 pm
  • Largent80 wrote:I find Asian pu$$y juice to cure a lot of ills.

Coronavirus bro, be careful out there.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:34 pm
  • I'm married to an Asian woman, I'm good.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:39 pm
  • The last time I got really drunk (like trashed) I had a 2 day hangover, no $h!t. And that was in my mid-40s and I'm 63 now. That was the last time I got really drunk.
    Sissy or not, I won't get trashed ever again.
    hawksfansinceday1
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:05 pm
  • getnasty wrote:Scientists claim that extreme hangovers are a side effect from being a puss and a UW fan.

To a certain extent that may be true, you have to stay sober long enough to complete your academic requirements while you deadbeats that went to other schools can basically stay drunk the whole time. (go to a Seattle coug bar if you need any validation for that)
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:01 pm
  • DomeHawk wrote:
    getnasty wrote:Scientists claim that extreme hangovers are a side effect from being a puss and a UW fan.

To a certain extent that may be true, you have to stay sober long enough to complete your academic requirements while you deadbeats that went to other schools can basically stay drunk the whole time. (go to a Seattle coug bar if you need any validation for that)

"..... other schools....."
    I graduated from Seattle U. and you're full of crap. You wanna war with Wazzu people that's up to you guys but don't include my University in your tiff.
    hawksfansinceday1
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:14 pm
  • hawksfansinceday1 wrote:
    DomeHawk wrote:
    getnasty wrote:Scientists claim that extreme hangovers are a side effect from being a puss and a UW fan.

"..... other schools....."
    I graduated from Seattle U. and you're full of crap. You wanna war with Wazzu people that's up to you guys but don't include my University in your tiff.

Seattle U is a dump.

But yes, it is a step above WSU.

I couldn't remember which community college getnasty dropped out of, that's why I wrote that.
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:58 am

Not just dehydration, but salt depletion as well. That's why Gatorade works so well for hangover recovery.
    SmokinHawk
    NET Veteran

It is currently Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:58 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE LOUNGE ]

Information