Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Coronavirus

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics, multimedia, and classified ads (Must be a contributing member to post any ads). No PWR. LANGUAGE: PG-13
Re: Coronavirus
Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:40 pm
  • I wonder if there's an additional strain of it that we haven't seen outside of China yet; or perhaps, it's mutating like the cold and influenza ones do...
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:10 am
  • sutz wrote:Also, North Korea news...

https://www.forexlive.com/news/!/north- ... d-20200209

North Korean dictator Kim Jong Un cancelled a big parade on the weekend

This was an important event, to celebrate the 72nd anniversary of the founding of the country's armed forces.
    The parade was scheduled for Saturday in central Pyongyang.
    Last year Kim Jong Un presided over the procession.
    News on how the coronavirus has spread, and what impact it has head, in NK is, of course, sparse. Media in the South report there have been 5 fatalities, but how accurate that is, who knows?

North Koreas has closed its border with China - all 880 miles of it -and its border with Russia .

Sounds like whispers of trouble in the hermit kingdom.

And...

https://www.dailynk.com/english/north-k ... -symptoms/

N. Korea to “temporarily deport” foreign diplomats with “suspicious symptoms”

North Korean leader Kim Jong Un recently ordered his Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) to “screen all foreign embassies in Pyongyang” to identify and “temporarily deport” any diplomats displaying suspicious symptoms related to the Wuhan coronavirus, Daily NK has learned.

“Starting today, MFA employees and medical workers went to the embassies of each country in Pyongyang and started medical examinations,” a source in North Korea told Daily NK on Feb. 4.

It is virtually unprecedented for a country to “temporarily deport” foreign embassy staff for the purposes of stopping the spread of an infectious disease. Kim has reportedly even threatened MFA staff unable to implement his orders properly will face punishment.

$h!t be getting real. :shock:

Officially, there is no data on North Korean casualties from the coronavirus. And it's highly unlikely there will be. North Koreans are simply too hearty and strong to succumb to anything as simple as a flu! Just ask the North Korean government.

And the border with China has been closed for decades. At least to commoners. There has been a certain looking-away when it comes to illegal border crossings, but I'd guess even that's being cracked down upon quite heavily.

One thing that's interesting about that is that if the North Korean government is reacting like that, there are most certainly casualties there, and with medicine and healthcare as it is there, it may be fairly severe.

Still, the difference between inside China and the rest of the world is stark. It's an epidemic that's probably killed tens of thousands if not more. And yet, the west apparently has little to fear, as most of the damage does not cross China's borders, and most likely will not.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:51 pm
    2_0_6
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:58 pm
  • 2_0_6 wrote:Image

Add a couple zeroes to that number and you'll begin to justify the quarantine of 400 million people. The CCP is full of horse $h!t on this.
    SmokinHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:17 pm
  • Largent80 wrote:Image

Lmao.
    TheLegendOfBoom
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:55 pm

• ............. there was a reason it was called the Spanish Flue.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:01 am
  • We booked a cruise to New Caledonia and Vanuatu last week on "Sapphire Princess" - a sister ship to "Diamond Princess" of current infamy. We've cruised with Princess before, to New Zealand, on the somewhat smaller Dawn Princess; it was fantastic. We love cruising; this is our fifth.

I feel terrible for the people stranded on the ship in Japan though. Imagine being STUCK on a ship, confined to your stateroom, especially if it was not one with a balcony. They have to keep airconditioning going, and surely this is an awful contagion vehicle. You'd have to get everything from Room Service, which would be sparse, with the whole system in overload. I hope they all get a full refund, plus+++!

I don't think you'd ever go on a cruise again.
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:01 pm
  • The Legacy of Paul Allen keeps on giving .......

A pair of Kalitta Air 747-400ERF freighters carrying hundreds of U.S. citizens home from Japan after weeks of being quarantined on-board the cruise ship Diamond Princess, where 454 passengers contracted the COVID-19 novel coronavirus, have arrived at two American military bases. Pictures from the operation show that at least one of the aircraft was carrying a specialized shipping container-sized bio-containment system to isolate individuals diagnosed with the virus from non-infected passengers and crew. The late Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen helped develop this system after the 2014 Ebola outbreak in West Africa.
    https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/32248/747s-carrying-americans-exposed-to-coronavirus-used-new-quarantine-box-for-infected-flyers

Jville
    * NET Alumni *

Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:33 pm
  • The stock market is freaking out now. Not cool!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    James in PA
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:08 pm
  • 2 solid days of down. Almost 2k lost yesterday and today. Lot of commerce being interrupted.
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:13 pm
  • Oh, and for the stock market news...

sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:30 pm
  • A buddy of mine booked a vacation late last year to go to Thailand for 12 days, then South Korea to see his wife's side of the family for 10 more days. That vacation started today, and he ended up going anyways, which we all thought he was an idiot for doing.

He just sent us a pic of the Phuket airport, and there looks like a grand total of about 150 people there.
    2_0_6
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:52 am
  • I will just follow my cold prevention routine. Wash hands. Use hand sanitizer anytime I go anywhere public.(the worst places are grocery stores and doctor offices. Whenever I see or hear someone hacking and coughing, I literally leave the immediate area. Having a compromised immune system will change your habits quickly. I remember when I first got MS, I was getting sick all the time. When I became more defensive in nature, everything is way better. I have had ONE head cold in the last three years.
    Seahwkgal
    * NET Hottie *

Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:03 am
    • Seahwkgal wrote:I will just follow my cold prevention routine. Wash hands. Use hand sanitizer anytime I go anywhere public.(the worst places are grocery stores and doctor offices. Whenever I see or hear someone hacking and coughing, I literally leave the immediate area. Having a compromised immune system will change your habits quickly. I remember when I first got MS, I was getting sick all the time. When I became more defensive in nature, everything is way better. I have had ONE head cold in the last three years.

Which is what the experts have been recommending. I have a pretty healthy immune system myself, which I attribute to my germ ridden childhood. :)

I don't use a lot of sanitizers, since they are alcohol based, but yeah the hand washing and avoiding others I do. I'm basically a hermit, so that's easy. I get my annual flu shot and other than some mild colds I've been pretty healthy the last few years.

Meanwhile, the market lost 1,700 points in two days. Bouncing back a little today, I see, but not a bunch. Things are pretty sketchy. This may not be Captain Trips, but it is more contagious than normal flu, apparently, and the fatatlity rate is around 2% so far. That and it seems to take 3 weeks or more to get over instead of the normal 7-10 days of colds/flus.
      sutz
      Silver Supporter
      Silver Supporter

Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:03 pm
    • sutz wrote:
        Seahwkgal wrote:I will just follow my cold prevention routine. Wash hands. Use hand sanitizer anytime I go anywhere public.(the worst places are grocery stores and doctor offices. Whenever I see or hear someone hacking and coughing, I literally leave the immediate area. Having a compromised immune system will change your habits quickly. I remember when I first got MS, I was getting sick all the time. When I became more defensive in nature, everything is way better. I have had ONE head cold in the last three years.

Which is what the experts have been recommending. I have a pretty healthy immune system myself, which I attribute to my germ ridden childhood. :)

I don't use a lot of sanitizers, since they are alcohol based, but yeah the hand washing and avoiding others I do. I'm basically a hermit, so that's easy. I get my annual flu shot and other than some mild colds I've been pretty healthy the last few years.

Meanwhile, the market lost 1,700 points in two days. Bouncing back a little today, I see, but not a bunch. Things are pretty sketchy. This may not be Captain Trips, but it is more contagious than normal flu, apparently, and the fatatlity rate is around 2% so far. That and it seems to take 3 weeks or more to get over instead of the normal 7-10 days of colds/flus.

If it gets to India or Bangladesh where you have huge populations and a desperately of wealth and have not's it could get ugly fast, we know that the Chinese are lying about the body count.
        chris98251
        .NET Hijacker

Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:24 pm
      • Rumpy Boy™ says everything is ok.
        Largent80
        NET Ring Of Honor

Previous

It is currently Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:36 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE LOUNGE ]

Information