Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Coronavirus

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics, multimedia, and classified ads (Must be a contributing member to post any ads). No PWR. LANGUAGE: PG-13
Re: Coronavirus
Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:49 am
  • HawkGA wrote:
    Aussie Seahawk wrote:I wouldn't trust the Chinese government as far as I could kick them. Anything titled "People's" or "Democratic" (aka former East Germany, current North Korea, Congo) is essentially a large prison.

We're selling Australia by the yuan to China... there's a word for what we are.

Until China is going out and shooting people in the street, I won't think this is a big deal. Because let's be honest, it doesn't take much for communists to start murdering their own people.

Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:39 pm
  • Aussie Seahawk wrote:
    HawkGA wrote:Until China is going out and shooting people in the street, I won't think this is a big deal. Because let's be honest, it doesn't take much for communists to start murdering their own people.

How horribly true. I've been doing a lot of research on Chernobyl, after watching the IMHO superb TV series, and reading books, and the deprivations Ukrainians have suffered over the years is horrible. We visited The Museum of Communism while in Prague in 2017, and the yawning chasm between the theory and the facts is totally ground into your face there.

However, there is a lot of signage in Russian as well as English in Prague, and the locals accept the fact that Russians today are not Soviets. Prague is the most beautiful city I have ever visited, and the people are wonderful, as I found time and again in Eastern Europe, in former Warsaw Pact countries.

The killing of civilians by communists isn't a flaw of the system, it's a feature. In communism, what is most important is the plan and the dictates of the government. There is no higher calling/authority/goal. People are useful tools for implementing that plan. Except when they aren't and then they are not just disposable but potentially dangerous to the plan. You don't let things or people get in the way of the government's plan.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:41 pm
  • Seahawk Sailor wrote:
    HawkGA wrote:
    Aussie Seahawk wrote:I wouldn't trust the Chinese government as far as I could kick them. Anything titled "People's" or "Democratic" (aka former East Germany, current North Korea, Congo) is essentially a large prison.

We're selling Australia by the yuan to China... there's a word for what we are.

Until China is going out and shooting people in the street, I won't think this is a big deal. Because let's be honest, it doesn't take much for communists to start murdering their own people.

I hope all the dumbass pundits who like to beat their breast wishing we were more like China (Tom Friedman, to name one) are paying attention.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:15 pm
  • 362 deaths but up to 536 recovered.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:31 pm
  • HawkGA wrote:362 deaths but up to 536 recovered.

Promising, and it looks like they may be turning the corner on it, but don't be fooled by that death count. It's way, way higher. There are accounts and video of police just welding entire housing complexes into their homes to quarantine them. There are accounts of stacks of body bags leaving hospitals with nobody bothering to account for anything. There are accounts of crematoriums burning 24 hours a day, filling the air with black soot. The information is not getting out from inside Wuhan, and the limited amount that does paints an entirely different picture than that of the government's rosy propaganda.

The Chinese government is the ultimate in producing "angles and cropping work wonders" dating profile pictures.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:39 pm
  • If a Chinese soldier shoots a civilian because of the quarantine, do we count that as a Corona virus death????
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:56 pm
  • HawkGA wrote:If a Chinese soldier shoots a civilian because of the quarantine, do we count that as a Corona virus death????

"Natural causes."
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:14 pm
  • Seahawk Sailor wrote:
    HawkGA wrote:362 deaths but up to 536 recovered.

Promising, and it looks like they may be turning the corner on it, but don't be fooled by that death count. It's way, way higher. There are accounts and video of police just welding entire housing complexes into their homes to quarantine them. There are accounts of stacks of body bags leaving hospitals with nobody bothering to account for anything. There are accounts of crematoriums burning 24 hours a day, filling the air with black soot. The information is not getting out from inside Wuhan, and the limited amount that does paints an entirely different picture than that of the government's rosy propaganda.

The Chinese government is the ultimate in producing "angles and cropping work wonders" dating profile pictures.

I will point out, however, anyone who dies in those welded buildings are dying because the Chinese government is a $h!t, not because there is no treatment or cure. That won't happen in the US, Canada, most of Europe, etc.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:14 pm
  • Only 490 people in a country of a billion and a half people have died from this virus.

Same country:

Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:04 pm

Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:28 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:There are reports circulating that leaked data from china put the death toll over 24k.

https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3871594

Fwiw..

That sounds very much like what the CCP would do, and after seeing a ton of leaked videos from the area, also very much closer to what I'd expect the data to read.

This is one of several tweets reporting this:

Dad's Chinese friends in the Silicon Valley say there are absolutely a ton of unreported deaths there. None of them trust the Chinese government any further than they could throw it. They say the whole thing is absolutely a sham and to trust absolutely none of the propaganda coming from the CCP.

I want to crunch the data one of these days, because there's some weird stuff going on there with deaths vs. cures and contagiousness with regards to comparing the numbers inside China and outside in every other country. You can see by numbers alone deaths are not being reported in many of the provinces within China. The percentages don't add up the same, and Wuhan (where it started) is a complete outlier.

My wildly speculative theory (based on at least some concrete data and verifiable if not verified reports) is that this was a bio-weapon that was likely designed for the Uighurs and/or political dissidents and went terribly wrong before they could fully develop/release it as planned. You don't see people being taken to the hospital for care and recovery by being stuffed into an unmarked van by a bunch of dudes in hazmat suits like in the video below. My guess is they're using this virus to simply wipe out unwanted persons by infecting them with the virus and simply barricading them inside their homes or that "hospital" until they die.

Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:36 am
  • Lets just say this, has China been truthful about anything concerning their country if it's a negative ?

If it was a low impact virus then why are we acting like it's a super contagion almost here.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:32 am
  • chris98251 wrote:Lets just say this, has China been truthful about anything concerning their country if it's a negative ?

If it was a low impact virus then why are we acting like it's a super contagion almost here.

Exactly. They never are. And you have two simultaneous responses happening:

- "This virus is less deadly than the common flu. There's absolutely nothing to worry about."

- "WHO has requested half a billion dollars to fight this fast-spreading epidemic!"

From what we've seen so far from countries outside of China, it appears contagious, but not super-contagious. Non-Chinese are catching it, but onesies and twosies. Most of the infected even outside China are Chinese expats who visited Wuhan on vacation or Chinese citizens from Wuhan who left China on vacation. And unless numbers outside China suddenly explode as we reach the 14-day contagion period of the virus, this should hold up as fact.

From what we've seen so far from inside China, however, is completely different. Mass panic, tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands infected, bulldozing entire cities into quarantine, burning corpses around the clock, spraying toxic fumes through entire cities, and people falling over dead suddenly in the middle of the street. I'd believe those leaked numbers from the Taiwanese news agency over the official CPP numbers any day, and twice on Sundays. And if that's the case, the difference between inside China and the rest of the world went from stark contrast to mindbogglingly different.

And interestingly, the first response above is what you're hearing mostly from the CCP and Pro-China sources, while at the same time, China devolves into chaos and terror. The second response above is what you're mostly hearing from the rest of the world, while relatively few cases outside China have manifested—so much so that it's evoked a "that's racist!" response from China.

This leads me to further question whether China is less incapable of handling all the death, and is merely using it as a cover to remove dissidents, those disloyal to the regime, and other unwanted demographics. They supposedly built an entire hospital in ten days and are deploying the massive Chinese Army to "help" doctors and nurses with patients. And yet they are supposedly in such dire straits that things are breaking down into chaos while they mimic Kevin Bacon in Animal House: "ALL IS WELL!"
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:43 am
  • Seahawk Sailor wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:There are reports circulating that leaked data from china put the death toll over 24k.

https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3871594

Fwiw..

That sounds very much like what the CCP would do, and after seeing a ton of leaked videos from the area, also very much closer to what I'd expect the data to read.

This is one of several tweets reporting this:

Dad's Chinese friends in the Silicon Valley say there are absolutely a ton of unreported deaths there. None of them trust the Chinese government any further than they could throw it. They say the whole thing is absolutely a sham and to trust absolutely none of the propaganda coming from the CCP.

I want to crunch the data one of these days, because there's some weird stuff going on there with deaths vs. cures and contagiousness with regards to comparing the numbers inside China and outside in every other country. You can see by numbers alone deaths are not being reported in many of the provinces within China. The percentages don't add up the same, and Wuhan (where it started) is a complete outlier.

My wildly speculative theory (based on at least some concrete data and verifiable if not verified reports) is that this was a bio-weapon that was likely designed for the Uighurs and/or political dissidents and went terribly wrong before they could fully develop/release it as planned. You don't see people being taken to the hospital for care and recovery by being stuffed into an unmarked van by a bunch of dudes in hazmat suits like in the video below. My guess is they're using this virus to simply wipe out unwanted persons by infecting them with the virus and simply barricading them inside their homes or that "hospital" until they die.

Sounds like distant gun shots in the background as the guy is trying to escape the van
    2_0_6
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:25 am
  • Some of the theories in here are horribly speculative and dangerous. bio weapon? Not everything is a spy movie.

This could be as simple (and terrible) as it looks, a virus that, as of yet, cannot be controlled by a country with a large, concentrated population. People "trying to escape" may be carrying the virus and need to be quarantined.
    The hiding of the data can have several origins, but the truth is, what is the world going to think if its 24K instead of 400?

Imagine how our news sources are going to blaze that across their banners, and what panic that leads to on a global scale.

Im not suggesting the Chinese are doing their best here. But this may not be some evil plot to kill off political foes. Pandemics are a very real thing. And if it really is 24K... well thats an extremely alarming statistic.

Seems the rest of the western world is confronting this head on. Next few days will determine how widespread this actually becomes
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:02 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:Some of the theories in here are horribly speculative and dangerous. bio weapon? Not everything is a spy movie.

This could be as simple (and terrible) as it looks, a virus that, as of yet, cannot be controlled by a country with a large, concentrated population. People "trying to escape" may be carrying the virus and need to be quarantined.
    The hiding of the data can have several origins, but the truth is, what is the world going to think if its 24K instead of 400?

Imagine how our news sources are going to blaze that across their banners, and what panic that leads to on a global scale.

Im not suggesting the Chinese are doing their best here. But this may not be some evil plot to kill off political foes. Pandemics are a very real thing. And if it really is 24K... well thats an extremely alarming statistic.

Seems the rest of the western world is confronting this head on. Next few days will determine how widespread this actually becomes

You really haven't been paying close attention to this, have you?

A Harvard virologist has analyzed the virus genome and determined that it's almost certainly a chimeric, manmade virus with codons taken from commercial stock, as well as some that appear to have been borrowed from HIV-1. The lethality appears to be due to the virus affecting a specific receptor (ACE2), causing excessive expression of protein and fluid. This particular receptor is most prevalent in Han Chinese men, and they are genetically predisposed to having many times more of these receptors in their lungs than other demographics.

This is either an experimental vaccine gone horribly awry, or a bioweapon.

Don't believe me? I find it awfully coincidental that Harvard's own head of chemistry and biomedical engineering, along with two Chinese nationals, were just recently arrested for crimes that, on the surface, appear to involve smuggling pathogenic material to, you guessed it, Wuhan, China.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/ha ... t-n1124646

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/harvard- ... na-related

You can find news articles dating back to about 2010, that discuss attempts to genetically engineer coronaviruses, at this very same lab in Wuhan, China, that is now at the epicenter of this "conspiracy theory".
    SmokinHawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:07 am

Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:10 am
  • Paying attention to what?

None of your articles reference biological or chemical warfare. These are the types of stories that gain so much steam from people connecting invisible dots to make up large gaps in information.

While I am likely to believe that this could be in part due to a vaccine that has gone horribly wrong, it is almost comical to think this is a bio weapon unleashed on political dissidents.

This could be a number of things, and some of it may have come about from poorly designed or risky vaccines to previous coronavirus' or in an attempt to quell the next outbreak. But again, i'm referencing the notion that all of this is by some secret design to purposefully spread a disease to kill people.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:22 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:Paying attention to what?

None of your articles reference biological or chemical warfare. These are the types of stories that gain so much steam from people connecting invisible dots to make up large gaps in information.

While I am likely to believe that this could be in part due to a vaccine that has gone horribly wrong, it is almost comical to think this is a bio weapon unleashed on political dissidents.

This could be a number of things, and some of it may have come about from poorly designed or risky vaccines to previous coronavirus' or in an attempt to quell the next outbreak. But again, i'm referencing the notion that all of this is by some secret design to purposefully spread a disease to kill people.

Did you read my post? I said this is either one of two things: an experimental vaccine gone horribly awry, or a bioweapon. I don't see a middle ground, unless some scientists were just splicing genetic material together, to see what would happen, which I suppose is possible, particularly given the way the Chinese government will toy with this stuff like kids with guns.

Let's explore the bioweapon angle, though. If this is such a bioweapon, what would its purpose be?

- Quell dissidents in Hong Kong? Maybe. Seems a bit heavy handed. It would be better to engineer a less lethal virus then overplay its lethality in the media, so that people stay home. A high actual death toll wouldn't be desirable here.

- Lost your trade war, and the world no longer needs your labor force of 1.7 billion? Won't be able to afford caring for them when the recession hits next year? Yikes. Seems plausible to cull the herd with a supervirus that is optimally lethal in Han Chinese men.

- Getting impeached? Need to win your trade war at all costs, and your enemy has a bunch of public domain information about their viral experimentation? Sick as it sounds, we as a nation have the most to gain from this epidemic.
    SmokinHawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:27 am
  • SmokinHawk wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:Paying attention to what?

Did you read my post? I said this is either one of two things: an experimental vaccine gone horribly awry, or a bioweapon. I don't see a middle ground, unless some scientists were just splicing genetic material together, to see what would happen, which I suppose is possible, particularly given the way the Chinese government will toy with this stuff like kids with guns.

Let's explore the bioweapon angle, though. If this is such a bioweapon, what would its purpose be?

- Quell dissidents in Hong Kong? Maybe. Seems a bit heavy handed. It would be better to engineer a less lethal virus then overplay its lethality in the media, so that people stay home. A high actual death toll wouldn't be desirable here.

- Lost your trade war, and the world no longer needs your labor force of 1.7 billion? Yikes. Seems plausible to cull the herd with a supervirus that is optimally lethal in Han Chinese men.

- Getting impeached? Need to win your trade war at all costs, and your enemy has a bunch of public domain information about their viral experimentation? Sick as it sounds, we as a nation have the most to gain from this epidemic.

Let's ease up on the political angle, not a connection, and certainly not within the realm of the conversation.

Yes, I read your post, I just see far more middle ground here.

Given the difficulty that China has had with strains of this virus, I can easily see them trying to develop vaccines and then trying those vaccines as this particular strain takes off, and having that multiply the problem.

What I cannot see is this idea of a bioweapon released on the world as a means to quell dissidents. I cant get on board with this for a variety of reasons, but the most obvious is: china can simply quell its political riots with its own heavy handed and quite public means. Why the sudden subterfuge?

Culling the population, however? Man, sorry, I just can't go there.

I can see the idea this vaccine was used on early patients and has some how magnified the spreading of the virus, however.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:44 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:Let's ease up on the political angle, not a connection, and certainly not within the realm of the conversation.

Yes, I read your post, I just see far more middle ground here.

Given the difficulty that China has had with strains of this virus, I can easily see them trying to develop vaccines and then trying those vaccines as this particular strain takes off, and having that multiply the problem.

What I cannot see is this idea of a bioweapon released on the world as a means to quell dissidents. I cant get on board with this for a variety of reasons, but the most obvious is: china can simply quell its political riots with its own heavy handed and quite public means. Why the sudden subterfuge?

Culling the population, however? Man, sorry, I just can't go there.

I can see the idea this vaccine was used on early patients and has some how magnified the spreading of the virus, however.

Historically speaking, Chinese leadership have seldom thought much about the peasantry, and have turned to executing them en masse on more than one occasion.

Personally speaking, I don't think the purpose of such a bioweapon would be to quell dissidents, or cull the herd in China. I suspect it's something we may have done to them, to accelerate their economic decline.
    SmokinHawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:27 am
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:30 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:Some of the theories in here are horribly speculative and dangerous. bio weapon? Not everything is a spy movie.

That this virus is bio-engineered looks quite likely now. Not only has Harvard shown it probably was, Thai researchers also discovered the HIV indicators in it showing it was likely. Now "bio-weapon" is a loaded word, of course, but an engineered virus has only so many benign uses. The fact that it's going crazy (and there are indications that it's gone far crazier than reported), but only in China. We're not seeing the spread of the virus elsewhere on anywhere close to the same scale. Now either China has worse healthcare than places like the Philippines and Thailand, or something fishy is going on.

Also, people needing to be quarantined aren't typically manhandled into the back of an unmarked van and carted off. Where have you ever seen healthcare professionals wrestle people into unmarked vans rather than help them into ambulances? And that doesn't even touch people just being welded into their homes, and buildings and roads being blockaded with piles of dirt and rocks.

Yes, if the numbers are upwards of 24K instead of roughly 500 like they're reporting is a huge thing. Yes, it'll send shock waves throughout the world. But look at the numbers outside China. It's not spreading fast at all anywhere outside China. Wonder why that is, even a little? Not even in third world countries where disease is typically far more rampant than elsewhere, and healthcare typically worse.

Here's an interesting article on it too. Wuhan's mortality rate is astronomically higher than the rest of the world, and even the rest of China. https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/06/world/asia/coronavirus-china-wuhan-quarantine.html
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:43 am
  • A couple of weeks ago, there were PRAISES for the Chinese government's handling of the crisis. Unbelievable... that collection of old communist MEN. Pity they were not the first deaths. I'm simply concerned about Joe [Chinese citizen], who has NO rights in the delightful "People's Republic."

I wouldn't trust the Chinese Commies to do ANYTHING. All that tired and proven-wrong Marxist rubbish... how many have to suffer still? Pity the cononavirus didn't wipe out the Communist Party in China. Same old same old from them. It is a country I will NEVER visit.

Up YOURS, Chinese government! F**k you with a rusty pole.
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:42 am
  • Maulbert wrote:This is why I believe the coronavirus is overblown:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2020/02/01/coronavirus-flu-deadlier-more-widespread-than-wuhan-china-virus/4632508002/

180,000 hospitalizations and 10,000 deaths from this year's flu in the US ALONE. Meanwhile, the media freaks out about 14,000 infected and 300 dead.

Perspective, people.

Guangzhou is now under quarantine. Approximately 400,000,000 people are now under quarantine by the Chinese government.

Process that information a moment. Take the time to truly consider the global geopolitical impact of that information.

Now, explain to me how this is being overblown.
    SmokinHawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:44 am
  • SmokinHawk wrote:Guangzhou is now under quarantine. Approximately 400,000,000 people are now under quarantine by the Chinese government.

Process that information a moment. Take the time to truly consider the global geopolitical impact of that information.

A city with the population of the entire United States being under quarantine? Eh, no biggie.

:lol:
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:07 am

Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:14 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    SmokinHawk wrote:Guangzhou is now under quarantine. Approximately 400,000,000 people are now under quarantine by the Chinese government.

A city with the population of the entire United States being under quarantine? Eh, no biggie.

:lol:

Approximately 15 million in Guangzhou, as I recall, but there is now a total of 60 cities under quarantine, and large geographical areas, totaling roughly 400,000,000 people. It's eye-opening and really makes even the most disciplined mind race with "what if" doomsday scenarios.
    SmokinHawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:39 am
  • I feel an overwhelming urge to read Stephen King's The Stand again.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:42 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:I feel an overwhelming urge to read Stephen King's The Stand again.

Might not be a bad idea. Judging by the Chinese government's response to this, they are quite literally dealing with a potential doomsday scenario.
    SmokinHawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:28 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:I feel an overwhelming urge to read Stephen King's The Stand again.

Or watch the tv movies starring Molly Ringwold...
    Cyrus12
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:51 am
  • So maybe "made in China" is ironic?
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:41 pm
  • Largent80 wrote:So maybe "made in China" is ironic?

My money is on "Made in America, to appear made in China".
    SmokinHawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:45 pm
  • SmokinHawk wrote:
    Largent80 wrote:So maybe "made in China" is ironic?

Made in America, stolen by China and attempted to be replicated there.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:53 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:
    SmokinHawk wrote:

No doubt they have been tinkering on this sort of thing as well, probably with the goal of unleashing it on us at some point, but when you look at this from the perspective of who has what to gain from it, we stand out as primary beneficiary.
    SmokinHawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:02 pm
  • So does this mean they wont send me my authentic seahawks jersey I bought on sale for 20 bucks?
    Cyrus12
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:53 pm
  • SmokinHawk wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:
    SmokinHawk wrote:

No doubt they have been tinkering on this sort of thing as well, probably with the goal of unleashing it on us at some point, but when you look at this from the perspective of who has what to gain from it, we stand out as primary beneficiary.

You guys are getting too carried away with conspiracy theory angles. Yes, it appears manmade. Yes, it appears it could have been/would have been used as a biological weapon. But with the indicators that its primary strength seems to be Han men, the easiest assumption is that it was meant as population control for China of some sort. My guess would be the Occam's razor scenario: China was going to deploy it against some combination of dissidents, Hong Kong protesters, Uighurs, or other such types undesirable to the CCP. They're the ones with the track record of minority abuses to the point of genocide.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:58 pm
  • Seahawk Sailor wrote:
    SmokinHawk wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:
    SmokinHawk wrote:

You guys are getting too carried away with conspiracy theory angles. Yes, it appears manmade. Yes, it appears it could have been/would have been used as a biological weapon. But with the indicators that its primary strength seems to be Han men, the easiest assumption is that it was meant as population control for China of some sort. My guess would be the Occam's razor scenario: China was going to deploy it against some combination of dissidents, Hong Kong protesters, Uighurs, or other such types undesirable to the CCP. They're the ones with the track record of minority abuses to the point of genocide.

Or they are trying to develop something that can target genetics' and use it at will against whom they see fit to use it against.

They just attempted on a trait in their own culture for a lab experiment that broke their control protocols.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:40 pm
  • This is the most bat $h!t thread I've ever read...

And I'm not saying any of its wrong.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:04 pm
  • Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:15 pm
  • I'm no English major, but I don't think he used the "crossed the Rubicon" phrase correctly.
    Last edited by HawkGA on Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:05 pm
  • HawkGA wrote:I'm not English major, but I don't think he used the "crossed the Rubicon" phrase correctly.

I'm guessing he's ESL, so there's an excuse there, but yeah, he probably meant "threshold" instead, unless he is suggesting that this is some sort of point of no return.

And I'm guessing China passed that point many days ago. No way you barricade off whole cities and only 800 people quarantined without treatment die.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:53 pm

I would but I plan to be dead from the coronavirus long before I can finish that book again.
    bevellisthedevil
    NET Veteran

Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:08 pm
  • bevellisthedevil wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:I feel an overwhelming urge to read Stephen King's The Stand again.

I would but I plan to be dead from the coronavirus long before I can finish that book again.

Each to his or her own, of course, but didn't you enjoy The Stand?

I'm really looking forward to the new miniseries:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Stand ... miniseries)

Whoopi Goldberg as Mother Abigail! I still think the 1994 miniseries was excellent, too.
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:16 am
  • Cyrus12 wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:I feel an overwhelming urge to read Stephen King's The Stand again.

Or watch the tv movies starring Molly Ringwold...

I actually thought Molly Ringwald was a perfect choice for Fran "Frannie" (ugh) Goldsmith in The Stand. The character is somewhat need-y and wheed-ly, which she carries off perfectly. Mind you, in that post-apocalypse scenario, I would be probably far worse!
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:24 pm
  • Aussie Seahawk wrote:
    bevellisthedevil wrote:

Each to his or her own, of course, but didn't you enjoy The Stand?

I'm really looking forward to the new miniseries:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Stand ... miniseries)

Whoopi Goldberg as Mother Abigail! I still think the 1994 miniseries was excellent, too.

No, I loved the book. It is just a long book.
    bevellisthedevil
    NET Veteran

Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:51 pm
  • Seahawk Sailor wrote:
    HawkGA wrote:I'm not English major, but I don't think he used the "crossed the Rubicon" phrase correctly.

I'm guessing he's ESL, so there's an excuse there, but yeah, he probably meant "threshold" instead, unless he is suggesting that this is some sort of point of no return.

And I'm guessing China passed that point many days ago. No way you barricade off whole cities and only 800 people quarantined without treatment die.

People have been taking air samples around Wuhan and speculate that incredibly elevated levels of sulfur dioxide and particulates could be the result of burning bodies, by the tens of thousands. Take that info with a huge grain of salt, but you don't start locking people in their homes and welding the doors shut if $h!t isn't already defcon 5.
    SmokinHawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:48 pm
  • SmokinHawk wrote:People have been taking air samples around Wuhan and speculate that incredibly elevated levels of sulfur dioxide and particulates could be the result of burning bodies, by the tens of thousands. Take that info with a huge grain of salt.

And maybe some dark soy sauce, finely chopped chillies, and diced coriander leaves.
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:29 pm
  • Aussie Seahawk wrote:
    SmokinHawk wrote:People have been taking air samples around Wuhan and speculate that incredibly elevated levels of sulfur dioxide and particulates could be the result of burning bodies, by the tens of thousands. Take that info with a huge grain of salt.

And maybe some dark soy sauce, finely chopped chillies, and diced coriander leaves.

Of course we're taking it with a huge grain of salt, and some soy sauce, chilies, and coriander. But the interesting thing, now that we've had a few days (or weeks) to let this data settle, is the percentages in China compared to the rest of the world.

China: 40,160 infected; 908 deaths.
    Everyone else: 376 infected; 2 deaths.

The percentages on this are astronomical, and are only getting more so as China continues to see the infection and death rates climb (and that's if you believe Chinese propaganda) while the rest of the world remains sedentary. The crapola is hitting the fan, but only in China. Which again takes us back to the fact that either China is absolutely inept at medicine, or there's something far more nefarious at work here.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:47 pm
  • Also, North Korea news...

https://www.forexlive.com/news/!/north- ... d-20200209

North Korean dictator Kim Jong Un cancelled a big parade on the weekend

This was an important event, to celebrate the 72nd anniversary of the founding of the country's armed forces.
    The parade was scheduled for Saturday in central Pyongyang.
    Last year Kim Jong Un presided over the procession.
    News on how the coronavirus has spread, and what impact it has head, in NK is, of course, sparse. Media in the South report there have been 5 fatalities, but how accurate that is, who knows?

North Koreas has closed its border with China - all 880 miles of it -and its border with Russia .

Sounds like whispers of trouble in the hermit kingdom.

And...

https://www.dailynk.com/english/north-k ... -symptoms/

N. Korea to “temporarily deport” foreign diplomats with “suspicious symptoms”

North Korean leader Kim Jong Un recently ordered his Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) to “screen all foreign embassies in Pyongyang” to identify and “temporarily deport” any diplomats displaying suspicious symptoms related to the Wuhan coronavirus, Daily NK has learned.

“Starting today, MFA employees and medical workers went to the embassies of each country in Pyongyang and started medical examinations,” a source in North Korea told Daily NK on Feb. 4.

It is virtually unprecedented for a country to “temporarily deport” foreign embassy staff for the purposes of stopping the spread of an infectious disease. Kim has reportedly even threatened MFA staff unable to implement his orders properly will face punishment.

$h!t be getting real. :shock:
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

PreviousNext

It is currently Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:01 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE LOUNGE ]

Information