Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tom and Jerry: 80 years of cat v mouse

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics, multimedia, and classified ads (Must be a contributing member to post any ads). No PWR. LANGUAGE: PG-13
Tom and Jerry: 80 years of cat v mouse
Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:49 am
  • A cartoon cat, sick of the annoying mouse living in his home, devises a plot to take him out with a trap loaded with cheese. The mouse, wise to his plan, safely removes the snack and saunters away with a full belly.

You can probably guess what happens next. The story ends as it almost always does: with the cat yelling out in pain as yet another plan backfires.

The plot may be familiar, but the story behind it may not be. From Academy Award wins to secret production behind the Cold War's Iron Curtain - this is how Tom and Jerry, who turn 80 this week, became one of the world's best known double-acts.

The duo was dreamt up from a place of desperation. MGM's animation department, where creators Bill Hanna and Joe Barbera worked, had struggled to emulate the success of other studios who had hit characters like Porky Pig and Mickey Mouse.

Out of boredom, the animators, both aged under 30, began thinking up their own ideas. Barbera said he loved the simple concept of a cat and mouse cartoon, with conflict and chase, even though it had been done countless times before.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-51357832

Link includes some video content, classic cartoons. :irishdrinkers:
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• My favorite of all time. The episode where Jerry has Tom thinking he is committing suicide in his sleep is some of the funniest TV of all time.
    acer1240
    NET Veteran

• I love 'em but Bugs is my all-time favorite character in the 'toons.

Hanna-Barbera also did a $h!t of other memorable characters.......Wally Gator, The Jetsons, Lippy the Lion and Hardy Har Har, Top Cat (another huge fav of mine) and so on and so forth. I was raised on all these and the Warner Bros (Bugs, Elmer, Road Runner, et. al.). Also Walter Lantz (Woody Woodpecker, Chilly Willy et. al.)

Ah, the Golden Age of cartoons. :)
    hawksfansinceday1
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• hawksfansinceday1 wrote:I love 'em but Bugs is my all-time favorite character in the 'toons.

Hanna-Barbera also did a $h!t of other memorable characters.......Wally Gator, The Jetsons, Lippy the Lion and Hardy Har Har, Top Cat (another huge fav of mine) and so on and so forth. I was raised on all these and the Warner Bros (Bugs, Elmer, Road Runner, et. al.). Also Walter Lantz (Woody Woodpecker, Chilly Willy et. al.)

Ah, the Golden Age of cartoons. :)

Funny most were thrown in the trash bin due to racism, violence and being politically incorrect on networks, yet we can have video games which came into main stream about the same time these cartoons began to fade from Saturday morning and after school TV line ups yet the Video games show killing and other crimes.

Never has made much sense other then Networks not wanting to be liable as well as maybe having some sort of investment in the Atari's and Sega's of the world at that time.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• My father always said Tom and Jerry cartoons were the most popular film entertainment when he served on various aircraft carriers in the Royal Navy's Fleet Air Arm, in the mid-50s to early 60s.
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

It is currently Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:10 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE LOUNGE ]

Information