Do Not Sell My Personal Information

With all this free time, anyone doing any gardening?

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics, multimedia, and classified ads (Must be a contributing member to post any ads). No PWR. LANGUAGE: PG-13
  • I took a couple years off from doing a large garden, but with the abundance of extra time I have and the possibility of the price of fresh produce going through the roof this summer, I jumped back in.

What are you guys growing?

My crops this year:

Basil
    Thyme
    Oregano
    Rosemary
    Lavender
    Asparagus
    Onions
    Garlic
    6 different types of Tomatoes
    Jalapenos
    Brussel Sprouts
    Squash
    Blueberries

2_0_6
    NET Veteran

• I planted a butterfly bush, some flowers I couldn't identify yet, and some tiger grass yesterday. Today I'll be planting peas and green onion.
    Sandy-Cotes
    NET Bench Warmer

• That is a very neat looking garden you have. Where do you get the metal beds?
    Sandy-Cotes
    NET Bench Warmer

• Sandy-Cotes wrote:That is a very neat looking garden you have. Where do you get the metal beds?

Those look like water troughs for Horses, a feed store would have them.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• chris98251 wrote:
    Sandy-Cotes wrote:That is a very neat looking garden you have. Where do you get the metal beds?

Those look like water troughs for Horses, a feed store would have them.

Yup exactly. I got them from Coastal Farm and ranch, but most feed stores have them in all sizes.
    2_0_6
    NET Veteran

• Don’t have the knees, back, or patience. :(
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• 2_0_6, your veggie/herb garden looks amazing. I'm doing a smaller version, in raised beds too. I just hope they get enough direct light (very ironic in Adelaide)! But in winter of course the sun is quite low, even here at 35 degrees South, and the garden bed I'm using is between the house and a high fence, facing west.

My previous attempts at herbs and root veggies have mostly been terrible. Coriander, basil, radishes, traditional carrots... all simply quickly go to seed, and I don't know why. Bugs the hell out of me.

I've almost finished my summer crops:

climbing beans
    apple cucumbers
    hot chillies
    (all very successful)

chives
    strawberries
    (limited success, but only a very small area)

tomatoes (hopeless; I don't know why my wife still tries to get me to persist!)

My winter seeds are all sprouting well, especially my snow peas! Also growing:

silver beet
    spinach
    carrots (miniature globular ones)
    cauliflowers (first time; not optimistic!)
    cabbages (same)

I've built a greenhouse, which I'll deploy from about early June.

Winter is coming! :D :D :D
    Last edited by Aussie Seahawk on Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

• chris98251 wrote:Those look like water troughs for Horses, a feed store would have them.

Love our local feed store (but I don't go there any more, now I no longer have any chickens) :x
    ... chickens and ducks and rabbits roaming everywhere, amazingly helpful and friendly staff/owners. On very hot days, the chickens all crammed in the little "office space" near the aircon (chickens hate severe heat) - just a dirt floor, old chicken poop marks everywhere!
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

• With not much else going on these days, I worked in my yard all weekend. I ended up extending out the garden area by another 8', and decided to do some potatoes in buckets this year. With the uncertainty of the economy and potentially the cost of fresh produce by summer's end, I figured I would grow much more than I originally planned just in case.

2_0_6
    NET Veteran

• I planted a potato once (the whole potato; I didn't know you only needed a part of it which includes an 'eye') when I was about 12. The plant grew impressively. Many months later (probably early winter), I dug it up.

No gold digger or treasure hunter had a more greasy bright eye out for whatever is maybe to be found to be precious.

It had but ///one/// potato hanging from it, which was about a third the size of the potato I had originally planted!

I wish you luck! I'm not a total klutz as a veggie gardener, far from it, but root veggies have never worked for me. Yet our neighbour back then (in our rural area, about a quarter mile away) grew spuds in stacks of old tyres, and got enormous yields. So, maybe they got better drainage from the elevated tyre stacks(?) In the summer there, with temperatures well over 100F, I simply don't remember how they did it! The spuds should have roasted on the vine!

Anyway, I'm dusting off the greenhouse I made, ready for winter.

Please keep us posted about your garden! Great photos you showed us. :D
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

• Aussie Seahawk wrote:I planted a potato once (the whole potato; I didn't know you only needed a part of it which includes an 'eye') when I was about 12. The plant grew impressively. Many months later (probably early winter), I dug it up.

No gold digger or treasure hunter had a more greasy bright eye out for whatever is maybe to be found to be precious.

It had but ///one/// potato hanging from it, which was about a third the size of the potato I had originally planted!

I wish you luck! I'm not a total klutz as a veggie gardener, far from it, but root veggies have never worked for me. Yet our neighbour back then (in our rural area, about a quarter mile away) grew spuds in stacks of old tyres, and got enormous yields. So, maybe they got better drainage from the elevated tyre stacks(?) In the summer there, with temperatures well over 100F, I simply don't remember how they did it! The spuds should have roasted on the vine!

Anyway, I'm dusting off the greenhouse I made, ready for winter.

Please keep us posted about your garden! Great photos you showed us. :D

Taters will only produce more above the seed. So if you plant it low and add dirt to it thru the season in a bucket, then you will come up with more. If you plant about 8 inches to a foot, you should have a decent harvest. And yes, normally one to 2 eyes is best to root the tater. What they did with the tires is probably had enough dirt to cover the tire and planted it at the base of the tire. Tires also keep the tater moist as all the water can not be leached out by the sun.

SF80
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

• Not in Michigan. Our wonderful governor deemed gardening and landscaping non-essential and shut down all the major stores that provide seed. What a dumbass. Landscaping non-essential? Wait till the mosquitos hatch and spread west Nile and EEE. Heil Whitler. :sarcasm_on: I cannot stand her.
    Seahwkgal
    * NET Hottie *

• About six weeks in and things are just starting to get into full swing.

2_0_6
    NET Veteran

• Thanks for sharing - beautiful! And to become very tasty, too! You need the drones Huey, Dewey and Louie (from "Silent Running" - I love that movie) to help you! :D
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

• Just planted some tomatoes and have some volunteers up. One carrot. Planted some carrot seed and all of it was eaten by birds. Mice ate my radish tops from my first row. Second row is looking ok. My dad and moms apricots did not do well and mine are doing great. Different states tho. I am Idaho, they are Columbia Basin. Two trees got from them and one has started producing while the other from them has not. My other tree from here is producing.

Need to check on the automatic watering system and the gophers are attacking with vigor. I want my old trap back too....they stole it. They stole my precious...oops...wrong movie.

My spinach has started up too. I may plant a couple rows of onions too. Maybe that will kick the gophers out of here.

Also my mint and strawberries and the chives are doing well. That is until the birds and other cretins get to them. Ugh. Pictures maybe next week. More weeding necessary.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

It is currently Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:45 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE LOUNGE ]

Information