Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Preserving chillies

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics, multimedia, and classified ads (Must be a contributing member to post any ads). No PWR. LANGUAGE: PG-13
Preserving chillies
Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:24 am
  • DSCN7767a.jpg
    DSCN7767a.jpg (109.02 KiB) Viewed 585 times

I have many hot chillies, ready for harvest, as the plant starts shutting down for winter. My wife found this recipe for pickling chillies. Anyone have any comment on this, or suggestions if you have your own recipie?

PICKLED CHILLIES

500g red chillies
    1 cup white vinegar
    1 cup water
    2 tablespoons sugar
    tablespoon salt
    5 cloves garlic peeled
    1 bay leaf
    1 teaspoon peppercorns
    1 teaspoon coriander seeds
    ¼ teaspoon celery seeds

Wash chillies; pierce them 4 times with toothpick
    In saucepan, add vinegar, water, salt and sugar and bring to boil.
    Place bay leaf, garlic, peppercorns, coriander seeds and celery seeds in bottom of sterilised glass jar
    Tightly pack chillies inside jar
    Fill jar with hot brine completely, submerging chillies
    Leave ¼” gap at top of jar
    Close jar and allow to cool overnight on counter.
    Keep in frig, allow to infuse for a few days before eating. If brine levels drop lower than chillies, add more brine, or chillies may turn brown, due to exposure to air
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Re: Preserving chillies
Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:35 am
  • Oh I never thought of pickling chilies, I might steal that idea from you. I usually just dehydrate mine, grind them down to flakes and store them so I have chili flakes to add to my food all winter
    2_0_6
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:12 am
  • OK, 2_0_6 - hope it works for you! Now, how do you dehydrate them, and what do you grind them with, please? I'd like to pinch that idea from you! :D
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:50 am
  • I bought a large dehydrator from Cabela's several years ago that has removable trays that can be easily washed and reused. I cut the stems off, put a nice layer on each tray, set the timer and wait until' they are dried. Once dried I put them all into a large Ziploc bag, seal it, and crush the crap out of them.

Once all that's done I put them in jars and use em' up.

Here is a link:

https://www.chilipeppermadness.com/pres ... g-peppers/
    2_0_6
    NET Veteran

Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:11 am
  • Thanks for the dehydration methods link - I've bookmarked it, and am gradually reading it all thoroughly. I did a "test" pickling on Saturday (heck, there's no bloody footy to go to) :cry:

When I was a kid, living in a rural area, I used to grow capsicums (what you folks in the USA call bell peppers), which are not hot at all, and the plants lived for many years. I just pruned them back when the leaves fell off in early winter and they entered dormancy. I'd put plastic over them at night to protect from frosts, and next spring they would roar back into life.

I assume this hot chilli plant will be the same (it is its first year), but don't know for sure. In Adelaide it very rarely drops below 2C/36F, which to me is a shame, but at least it means there is only very rarely a light frost.
    Last edited by Aussie Seahawk on Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:18 am
  • I've had pickled jalapenos before, and they're delicious on burgers and hot dogs. my ex mother in law also does the dehydration thing to make homemade pepper flakes for seasoning which is really good as well.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:32 pm
  • I've only turned my peppers into flakes once. My method was halving them, placing them on a cookie sheet, then putting them in the oven only the lowest heat setting to dry them out.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:26 am
  • We get Hatch chilis in late summer here and I roast them and then freeze them for recipes (chili verde is one).
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:39 pm
  • A friend of mine put dried chili peppers and a couple of other peppers in a blender inside the shop. His shop is about 40 by 60. has a few rooms for necessities..as it is a shop. He ran everyone out of there from what he said. I got a small batch of it and BABY SNIFFED it. I was clear for a week. So, if you get some jalepenos or hotty thai or hotty peppers and dry them. Go ahead and blend them in a blender near a neighbor that you hate. You may never see him again. Oh and wear the full face shield and a better mask than the covid mask. the N95 mask just wont cut it.

:stirthepot: :stirthepot: :stirthepot: :les:
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

It is currently Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:54 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE LOUNGE ]

Information