Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Seattle Nuclear accident

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics, multimedia, and classified ads (Must be a contributing member to post any ads). No PWR. LANGUAGE: PG-13
Seattle Nuclear accident
Thu May 21, 2020 12:24 pm

Re: Seattle Nuclear accident
Thu May 21, 2020 1:38 pm

Fri May 22, 2020 10:23 am
  • 2900 curies is a LOT. In the nuclear power world we normally deal in surface contamination levels that are measured in terms of "micro-micro curies per square centimeter" (1 micro-micro = 0.000000000001). As you can see, there's a butt-load of micro-micros in 2900! Hard to believe that anyone with any training at all would be cavalier about dealing with a 2900 curie source, or would have tried to remove it from where it was stuck at all.

Some quick calculations shows that the standard contamination limit would be reached and require decon if that source was evenly spread out over 248 square miles.

Nuclear power looks like it's WAY safer than standard everyday radiation uses! Another point - we have a source (I can't/won't tell you what it's used for) that, when removed from the instrument it lives in, is strictly controlled. Thing is, it takes 5 of those sources to be as radioactive as a single standard smoke detector like you have in your house.

Back on topic, that company should be out of business and the people involved banned from ever having anything to do with radiation ever again.
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

Fri May 22, 2020 7:07 pm
  • I remember a favourite silly website which detailed "how to make a thermonuclear bomb" and it said any left-over plutonium was very effective for keeping cats etc out of your rose beds. It did say it is quite toxic, and to wear rubber gloves when spreading it...
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

It is currently Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:34 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE LOUNGE ]

Information