Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Heart Salute to Led Zeppelin - Stairway To Heaven

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics, multimedia, and classified ads (Must be a contributing member to post any ads). No PWR. LANGUAGE: PG-13
  • I have watched thousands of YouTube videos over the years. This one gives me legit goosebumps. I grew up loving Heart because my big sister was a Heart fan. Love the local Pacific Northwest connection, love the fact they are simply bad ass regardless of gender. This salute to Led Zeppelin at the Kennedy Center Honors is simply extraordinary. You don't even have to be a Heart or Led Zeppelin fan to appreciate how special this is.

Please don't fast forward through this. We all do it but this is one of those videos that is worth watching from start to finish.

If you aren't moved after the solo then you simply don't have a heart beat. Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cZ_EFA ... cZ_EFAmj08
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• Todd, thanks for posting that.
    I’m a fan of the song and both bands.
    I wasn’t aware of that performance, it’s an incredible rendition, and I actually got a little watery eyed.

The fact that it moved the members of LZ made it so much more meaningful.

What a tribute to the song, and both bands.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

• Been posted before, but definitely worth a review. Simply amazing cover of this classic rock tune.
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• Thank you, Todd! I'd never seen or even heard this before, either. I'd heard Heart's cover of "Battle for Evermore" though, which is also wonderful.
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

• The biography: "Kicking and Dreaming: A Story of Heart, Soul, and Rock and Roll" by Ann Wilson, Nancy Wilson

Anyone read it? It's wonderful, but I was horrified at the sexism, that if a woman could play guitar superbly, she apparently is regarded to possibly be a le$b!a*. I just can't believe this ridiculous notion; it simply makes no sense.

And of course, who cares who is "what", anyway!

Anyway, great to revisit Heart doing Led Zeppelin covers.
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

• I don't think there are any artists out there more qualified in both artistry and chops to do these Led Zeppelin covers than Ann and Nancy Wilson.
    JustTheTip
    Platinum Supporter
    Platinum Supporter

• Agreed with all the comments. Wish I could have been in that crowd that evening to see that in person, wow.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• Aros wrote:Agreed with all the comments. Wish I could have been in that crowd that evening to see that in person, wow.

I was fortunate enough to see them 3 times on New Years, Pat Benatar Opened for them and Thin Lizzy the other two times.

They always closed out with Rock and Roll, that would be like the 3rd or 4th Encore, they always went all out in Seattle and looked like they hated leaving the stage in fact. But they did Stairway To Heaven one year also, Ann has good vocals still, but before she lost them for a while she was unbelieveable.
    Last edited by chris98251 on Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• JustTheTip wrote:I don't think there are any artists out there more qualified in both artistry and chops to do these Led Zeppelin covers than Ann and Nancy Wilson.

Don't forget Jason Bonham.

So the backstory of this is pretty interesting. Led Zeppelin did not know who or what was going to be sung at the honors, and the Wilson sisters said they were super nervous about doing Stairway to Heaven, because for decades both Plant and Page have said they actually don't like the song anymore because it was so overplayed and in their opinion had become a caricature of what they wrote........and they absolutely HATE most covers of Stairway that people constantly send them to watch.

So for them to be this moved by the performance really is extraordinary. But I'm biased, I think Ann Wilson is not only the greatest female rock vocalist of all time, but that along with Plant are the greatest rock vocalists of all time, period.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• Sgt. Largent wrote:
    JustTheTip wrote:I don't think there are any artists out there more qualified in both artistry and chops to do these Led Zeppelin covers than Ann and Nancy Wilson.

Don't forget Jason Bonham.

So the backstory of this is pretty interesting. Led Zeppelin did not know who or what was going to be sung at the honors, and the Wilson sisters said they were super nervous about doing Stairway to Heaven, because for decades both Plant and Page have said they actually don't like the song anymore because it was so overplayed and in their opinion had become a caricature of what they wrote........and they absolutely HATE most covers of Stairway that people constantly send them to watch.

So for them to be this moved by the performance really is extraordinary. But I'm biased, I think Ann Wilson is not only the greatest female rock vocalist of all time, but that along with Plant are the greatest rock vocalists of all time, period.

Jason Bonham as a good drummer, but beyond the sentimentality, there really isn't much he provided. He isn't on the same level as his father was for sure. I enjoyed that sentimentality in the O2 concert as well. The rest of what you typed I fully agree with.
    JustTheTip
    Platinum Supporter
    Platinum Supporter

It is currently Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:01 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE LOUNGE ]

Information