Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Death Valley

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics, multimedia, and classified ads (Must be a contributing member to post any ads). No PWR. LANGUAGE: PG-13
Death Valley
Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:45 am
  • "The earth probably saw its highest temperature ever reliably recorded today: 130F (54.4C) in California."

I was in Death Valley in November 1996; we stayed in the motel at Furnace Creek for a night, driving from Vegas. It was mild then, of course, being November, but it was still 86F/30C at Badwater, the lowest (below sea level) point of the valley.

Here's a photo: a scan of a very old 35mm slide - I did feel privileged to stand on dry land below sea level. :D

BADWATER.JPG
    BADWATER.JPG (207.77 KiB) Viewed 367 times
    Last edited by Aussie Seahawk on Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Re: Death Valley
Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:38 am
  • Death Valley is, as my dad used to say, "miles and miles of nothing but miles and miles".
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:19 am
  • I like your dad's saying, but there is so much to see there. I wish I had had time to visit The Racetrack playa (dry lake bed), where the mystery of the "traveling boulders" has recently been solved, and some cretin vandalised the area in 2016 by driving over it, leaving miles of tyre tracks. It is a long way from the locations we visited nearer to Furnace Creek.

One of my reasons to visit Death Valley was my love of the mostly-detested movie "Zabriskie Point" which is set in that location, in part, and has (amongst other artists) a Pink Floyd soundtrack. It was literally a pilgrimage, I guess.

Apart from Zabriskie Point and Badwater, these locations included Golden Canyon, Artist's Drive, and Devil's Golf Course. Leaving the valley floor, we drove up to Dante's View, which is about 5,700 feet directly above Badwater. You can see the entire 140-mile length of the valley from there, amazingly "shortened" by the dry desert air. It is also about 25 degrees F cooler than on the valley floor.

I wrote a couple of pages about my time there when I got back to Australia; probably far too long to post here.

Anyway, here are a few more photos. None do justice to their subjects (I do NOT claim to be a photographer), and I also lost some when my camera played up, with broken film, incorrect/overlapped exposures, etc.

DANTE1.JPG
    DANTE1.JPG (199.81 KiB) Viewed 304 times

The raven is real... or is it Randall Flagg? :D

dante7.jpg
    dante7.jpg (168.21 KiB) Viewed 304 times

The entire valley viewed from Dante's View

devils golf2.jpg
    devils golf2.jpg (219.93 KiB) Viewed 304 times

Try playing golf here!
    Last edited by Aussie Seahawk on Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:30 am
  • lewis zp1.jpg
    lewis zp1.jpg (211.77 KiB) Viewed 303 times

My friend Lewis, who I stayed with for a week in Las Vegas. I lost contact with him many years ago, sadly. He took me all over Vegas, including Nellis AFB, and drove me to Death Valley.

zp5.jpg
    zp5.jpg (318.54 KiB) Viewed 303 times

The turnoff to Zabriskie Point

zp3_2.jpg
    zp3_2.jpg (229.51 KiB) Viewed 303 times

Zabriskie Point
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:32 am
  • Should buy as much property as you can now, they say it is going to return to being a Sea again soon.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:57 pm
  • Aussie Seahawk wrote:The raven is real... or is it Randall Flagg? :D

Watch out for the walkin' dude. ;)
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:00 am
  • The ravens up at Dante's View were indeed "macabre" as they look at you with their "too-knowing" eyes, and they sound like crows with tonsillitis! Silly image, I know - the poor corvids really get a bad press in fiction, legend and myth.

The air at Death Valley is just so incredibly DRY (as I guess it is in Phoenix). It was the first time I ever had a water bottle with me... but now I take one everywhere, even in mid-winter (just tap water). Walking out into the valley floor, even a couple of hundred metres, you can feel the apparent heat build, even if only 30C/86F. I can't imagine how savage 54.4C/130F would be.
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:32 pm
  • "Cool" place!!
    Many of my friends have completed the Badwater 135 mile race there.
    Starts at the lowest point in the US, and finished at Whitney Portal.
    The race USED to finish at the top, the highest point in the US.

It's amazing to see them run 135 mile when the temp usually gets to 120.
    Local guy I have met but don't know, has won the race. Scott Jurek.
    ZorntoLargent
    NET Veteran

Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:37 am
  • ZtoL - I had no idea such an insane race existed! Thank you for your post.
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

It is currently Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:41 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE LOUNGE ]

Information