Your favorite woman in Rock Music

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! RATING: PG-13
Your favorite woman in Rock Music
Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:46 am
  • Many choices here. There are 2 prominent ones from Seattle. Please limit your choice to 1 post so everyone can get in.

I'm going with......

Hey NFL Teams..........Enjoy your offseason
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Re: Your favorite woman in Rock Music
Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:37 am
  • Currently, Lzzy Hale.
    You are absolutely entitled to state your opinion whenever you wish, and I am absolutely entitled to point out the stupidity of that opinion with the same frequency.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:18 am
  • Taylor Momsen:

Lzzy Hale:
    SalishHawkFan wrote:My name is Russell Wilson. You intercepted 4 of my passes. Prepare to die.
    OkieHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:39 am
  • Maria Brink

Anguish
    * NET Developer *

Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:44 am
  • Ever? Has to be Janis. No-one even comes close.

Football is not a matter of life and death. It's much more important than that. ~ Bill Shankley
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:47 am
  • HOWEVER, if you're talking like hard rock, then it's Skin by a country mile. Every suggestion before these have been pure shit.

Football is not a matter of life and death. It's much more important than that. ~ Bill Shankley
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:53 am
  • You are such a snob peaches, it has to be the scarf's influence. :lol:
    SalishHawkFan wrote:My name is Russell Wilson. You intercepted 4 of my passes. Prepare to die.
    OkieHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:59 am
  • Favorite woman right now:

.....................................................................................-Webzone Niner fan GhostOfJimmyDean
    Trenchbroom
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:03 am
  • Why does PE always have to enter music threads to add some class and intellect to the conversation? What will you ladies do without me?

The answers always Patti Smith.
    @ryanadamdavis
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:05 am
  • pehawk wrote:Why does PE always have to enter music threads to add some class and intellect to the conversation? What will you ladies do without me?

That's not bad. Patti was always a bit too pretentious for my taste, but her influence and mastery of her craft is undeniable. Well done.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:14 am
  • peachesenregalia wrote:
    pehawk wrote:Why does PE always have to enter music threads to add some class and intellect to the conversation? What will you ladies do without me?

That's not bad. Patti was always a bit too pretentious for my taste, but her influence and mastery of her craft is undeniable. Well done.

Totally agree with your tastes. But, an argument could be made she's to punk/modern rock what Robert Johnson is to guitar.

Ugly as sin though.
    @ryanadamdavis
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:19 am
  • pehawk wrote:
    peachesenregalia wrote:
    pehawk wrote:Why does PE always have to enter music threads to add some class and intellect to the conversation? What will you ladies do without me?

Totally agree with your tastes. But, an argument could be made she's to punk/modern rock what Robert Johnson is to guitar.

Ugly as sin though.

Absolutely, and I would agree with the Robert Johnson analog, to an extent. You have to go back to the likes of Captain Beefheart and Question Mark and the Mysterians to find Punk's roots, I think. If you love that kind of music, then she's definitely a matriarch and a pioneer. As I said, I just found her a bit unapproachable for my tastes, just as I'm sure many people feel that way about Beefheart and Zappa.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:32 am
    pehawk wrote:
    peachesenregalia wrote:

Ugly as sin though.

Absolutely, and I would agree with the Robert Johnson analog, to an extent. You have to go back to the likes of Captain Beefheart and Question Mark and the Mysterians to find Punk's roots, I think. If you love that kind of music, then she's definitely a matriarch and a pioneer. As I said, I just found her a bit unapproachable for my tastes, just as I'm sure many people feel that way about Beefheart and Zappa.

I think we're in agreement on all of this, except the part about you thinking she's hot. I dont see that at all, she looks like a male meth head, I mean...ohh...wait. Nevermind, we'll agree to disagree.

Getting nuanced and intellectual about music keeps a lot of the arguers out. We should do more music threads.
    @ryanadamdavis
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:12 am
  • You are all pussies.....

Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:14 am
  • Largent80 wrote:You are all pussies.....

I actually don't mind Chrissy Hind as much as most people. Her voice is tiresome, but even worse is the muppet lead singer for the Yeah Yeah Yeahs trying to sound like Chrissy.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:16 am
  • At least she has talent, and plays multiple instruments as well as composing.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:17 am
  • PJ Harvey, gentlemen.

Something so dirty about her that I just love.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    volsunghawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:19 am
  • Vols, if we're going that rout its all about Fiona, right? She's my favorite in that way. My favorite influentially is Patti.
    @ryanadamdavis
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:21 am
  • volsunghawk wrote:PJ Harvey, gentlemen.

Something so dirty about her that I just love.

I liked PJ Harvey for about 2 years when I was like 16. I liked her work with Nick Cave, and some of her solo stuff. Just lost interest in her after that.

Fiona Apple was(is?) legitimately talented, and I think if Alanis never happened, Fiona's influence would be really big. Sadly, she'll always be remembered as "That piano-playing chick who had kind of an Alanis vibe going on".
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:22 am
  • pehawk wrote:Vols, if we're going that rout its all about Fiona, right? She's my favorite in that way. My favorite influentially is Patti.

Eh, I think there's more of an edge to PJ that Fiona lacks. Plus, Fiona sometimes comes across like she's trying too hard for the "artiste" angle (of course, that could just be me projecting).

I'd also go for some Tonya Donnelly.

volsunghawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:31 am
  • I'm also quite partial to Bjork, though I'm not sure she can be classed as Rock music. Same thing with Tori Amos. Both are fantastic though. Check this out:

peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:36 am
  • This isn't rock but I like her music.

Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:45 am
  • How about Jill Janus from Huntress?

volsunghawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:55 am
  • Yikes, that was awful, volsung. So unbelievably boring. And her voice is dreadful.

Not my thing.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:57 am
  • peachesenregalia wrote:Yikes, that was awful, volsung. So unbelievably boring. And her voice is dreadful.

Not my thing.

Eh, that was just one song, and a pretty gimmicky one at that. Reportedly, she's got a 4-octave range and has opera/musical theater training in her past.

volsunghawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:01 pm
  • volsunghawk wrote:
    peachesenregalia wrote:Yikes, that was awful, volsung. So unbelievably boring. And her voice is dreadful.

Not my thing.

Eh, that was just one song, and a pretty gimmicky one at that. Reportedly, she's got a 4-octave range and has opera/musical theater training in her past.

It certainly didn't sound like that in that song. The genre also just bores me to tears though. So musically un-creative.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:02 pm
    volsunghawk wrote:
    peachesenregalia wrote:Yikes, that was awful, volsung. So unbelievably boring. And her voice is dreadful.

Not my thing.

It certainly didn't sound like that in that song. The genre also just bores me to tears though. So musically un-creative.

It ain't for everyone, that's for sure. There's plenty of creativity in metal if you're willing to look for it, but a lot of people don't have enough interest in it to get past some of the window dressing.

volsunghawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:24 pm
  • As has been proven over and over in many music threads over the years, people have different tastes in what their ears tell them is good.

Personally, all the experimental stuff is ok, but I like melodic music. In many recent years, I haven't heard very much that is interesting enough for me to listen to on a regular basis.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:29 pm
  • SalishHawkFan wrote:My name is Russell Wilson. You intercepted 4 of my passes. Prepare to die.
    OkieHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:33 pm
  • OkieHawk wrote:

This kind of music always sounds to me like it's being sung by ex-cast members of Les Miserables.

It's shite.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:36 pm
  • [url][/url]
    peachesenregalia wrote:
    OkieHawk wrote:

This kind of music always sounds to me like it's being sung by ex-cast members of Les Miserables.

It's shite.

I love this! We should start a thread where peaches lays out the problems with the various bands out there. I'm not even trying to be a dick, I legitimately think it would be awesome.
    OkieHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:38 pm
  • OkieHawk wrote:[url][/url]
    peachesenregalia wrote:
    OkieHawk wrote:

It's shite.

I love this! We should start a thread where peaches lays out the problems with the various bands out there. I'm not even trying to be a dick, I legitimately think it would be awesome.

I'd be happy to! I honestly like a lot more bands than you might think, but the whole 'Epic rock/metal' thing is so boring and really really dumb to me. If people like it though, then good for them for making music they like and making money off of it. Just don't rate it. Boring and again, un-creative.

Do you like the Mars Volta? They've been one of the more creative bands to come along in recent years.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:40 pm
    I'd be happy to! I honestly like a lot more bands than you might think, but the whole 'Epic rock/metal' thing is so boring and really really dumb to me. If people like it though, then good for them for making music they like and making money off of it. Just don't rate it. Boring and again, un-creative.

Do you like the Mars Volta? They've been one of the more creative bands to come along in recent years.

I made the thread in the shack so you can go all out :thirishdrinkers:

I know OF Mars Volta, but can't say that I've heard anything by them. I'll check them out though.
    OkieHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:49 pm
  • OkieHawk wrote:
    peachesenregalia wrote:

I made the thread in the shack so you can go all out :thirishdrinkers:

I know OF Mars Volta, but can't say that I've heard anything by them. I'll check them out though.

I don't shack, sorry.

Anyway, Mars Volta are (were) excellent. Check out Amputechture, Deloused in the Comatorium and Frances the Mute. All really good albums.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:07 pm
  • Are there any women in rock in those bands. Wasn't there a topic of favorite female rock artists at one point, and it went subpop all of a sudden? Everyone has likes/dislikes. Just list your favs. and move on, we don't need a critique of someones choice. I hate rap, so what, anyone born after 1990 loves it, that is a lot of people.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:25 pm

At the risk of pissing off L80 even further...

The Mars Volta had some very, very nice moments, but the bulk of their work is wankery of the highest order. Frances the Mute is nigh unlistenable. Creative, most definitely... but creative doesn't always equal good.

They were better when they were At the Drive-In.

volsunghawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:00 pm
  • volsunghawk wrote:
    peachesenregalia wrote:

At the risk of pissing off L80 even further...

The Mars Volta had some very, very nice moments, but the bulk of their work is wankery of the highest order. Frances the Mute is nigh unlistenable. Creative, most definitely... but creative doesn't always equal good.

They were better when they were At the Drive-In.

I agree that ATDI was better. FtM is probably my least favorite of their albums, but I still dig it. Omar Rodriguez is underrated, IMO, but yes, there's some wankery, as is always the case with experimental/creative music. Frank's got plenty of wankery moments, doesn't mean I love him any less.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:03 pm
  • At the drive in sounds like nails on a chalkboard to me, however, since I started the thread and everyone seems to think they can use a compass to navigate it.......

Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:23 pm

Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:56 pm
  • Liv Jagrell (Sister Sin) - Not the greatest looker but she has swagger for days.
    Evil_Shenanigans
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:12 pm
    VB Hawk
    NET Practice Squad

Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:16 pm
  • today? Its got to be Emily Armstrong, gal has major pipes and pulls it off live.

NoChops
    NET Veteran

It is currently Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:26 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NET LOUNGE ]

Information