My computer adventure begins....Update 3/26

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! RATING: PG-13
  • So, I mentioned in the NewEgg thread that I was planning on building my own home PC. Mission started.

After some research, I decided against buying a kit from Tiger or anyplace similar and to go on my own. I kind of wanted a little more control over what I put together. So, a trip to Fry's was in order.

My original budget was going to be in the $5-600 range, but I don't think I included the monitor in that, so I'll have to use the Pirates of the Caribbean rule, which is to say it more like a guideline. While money is not inexhaustible, I have some flexibility.

So far, I bought a case, power supply and extra fan.

Case:
    Cooler Master N400 with features I wanted including front panel USB (2 x 3.0 and 2 x 2.0), FP headphone and mic jacks, and FP power and reset switches. Has 2 x 5.25" and 1 x 3.5" bays exposed and 7 x 3.5" 3 x 2.5" internal bays. Lots of room for expansion I probably won't need, but I hate working in cramped spaces, so the roominess in this mid-tower looks good. 2 fans included with several other places to mount more if needed or move existing two if I identify hot spots. Fits an ATX or micro-ATX MB.

PSU:
    Didn't want to short myself here, even though I don't intend to install dual vid cards or other Hi-power components, so I went with a 600W job from CoolMax that should be adequate for my needs.

I also bought an additional fan, a Corsair AF120, just in case it is needed or if the existing fans are too noisy. It claims to be a 21dBA noise level, so shouldn't be too loud.

Cost so far: Case: 49.99, PSU 44.99, fan 16.99. Throw in some taxes and I'm out about $122.

Updates as I go. Probably get the MB, CPU, memorey and an SSD next. Looking into AMD, MB probably a AM3+ type, and the CPU in the FX series, maybe. A bit pricey, but I won't be going top end here. I suppose I'll have to get a DVD drive, too.

Suggestions welcomed. I know we have a bunch of knowledge around here, and I'm a bit of a novice about PCs, though I do have an engineering and electronics background.

Wish me luck!
    Last edited by sutz on Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Re: My computer adventure begins....
Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:28 pm
  • Good luck!

I just bought a case today as well.

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/vengeance- ... ctic-white

Got it on sale for $99.00 !!! Pretty happy. :)

Right now I am trying to decide on a motherboard and chip, and whether I need the PCI SSD or if I am ok sticking with the SATA SSD. It's a difference in price.
    The_Z_Man
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:53 pm
  • Looks good, Z! No PSU in that model, I take it? I'm sticking with the SATA drives for now. I tend not to fly on the forward edge of tech. I like established technology.

I believe mine will fit liquid cooling, though I don't see that I'll ever need it.

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:01 pm
  • I would look at the coolpc site, or maybe it is silentpc, to learn how to make the PC as quiet as possible. Noise gets old quickly.
    netskier
    NET Starter

Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:32 pm
  • netskier wrote:I would look at the coolpc site, or maybe it is silentpc, to learn how to make the PC as quiet as possible. Noise gets old quickly.

I live in the Sonoran Desert ... spring is 90 degrees and summer is 110. I have an old central AC unit, and kingston industrial fans at 3 locations in the house blasting air... I also live next to a litter of children that some overworked single mother cannot control... not a one of them can utter a single word of dialogue without screaming it out at the top of their lungs, in Russian no less.

Noise is no concern for me.

My old beat up vista system sounds like a P51 mustang powering down a gravel runway and I can't even hear IT half the time!!!!
    The_Z_Man
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:45 pm
  • I think he was talking to me, Z-man. :laugh:

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:45 pm
  • I was, but also to anyone who would like to build a box that is both quiet and fast.
    netskier
    NET Starter

Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:36 am
  • sutz wrote:I think he was talking to me, Z-man. :laugh:

Yea, but I'd never miss an opportunity for a little sarcasm, especially when it's cathartic. ;)
    The_Z_Man
    NET Veteran

• OK, bought a ASUS MOBO and an AMD CPU. Installed and connected all wires I could figure out. Not too bad, they were well marked for the most part.

Plugged that bad dude in: fans run, surprisingly quiet, too. Proper LEDs seem to have come on. Most important: No smoke. :)

For the nerds:
    ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 $62.99
    AMD FX6300 3.5G MOBO $109.99
    8 G RAM stick $66.99

Cost today: $239.97 (tax $22.80 for $262.77)

Total to date: $122 + $240 = $362 approx/pretax

Note, my extroadinarily generous son-in-law offered to send me some parts. I didn't have the heart to say I kind of wanted to do it all myself, but hey, he's saving me some serious bucks, so thanks. Speakers came yesterday, monitor + KB + mouse due today on that front.

Next up: get my SSD, DVD and an op system and we're nearly there.

So far, so good.

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• 8 gb for 70 is ok. I assume you are going to go with a 64 bit system and not a 32 bit system. 64 bit systems will use the 8gb whereas the 32 bit systems use only about 4gb if I recall correctly. I only read it on the internet....and we know everything that we read there is pure.....
    Cats will rule the world...just ask my cat.
    "Unfortunately, common sense is the least common of all the senses..." - Mark Twain
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

• Seahawkfan80 wrote:8 gb for 70 is ok. I assume you are going to go with a 64 bit system and not a 32 bit system. 64 bit systems will use the 8gb whereas the 32 bit systems use only about 4gb if I recall correctly. I only read it on the internet....and we know everything that we read there is pure.....

I believe you're right. Yes, I'm planning on going Win 8.1/64 bit on this system. Mobo is good for 32GB. Not sure if I'll ever get there, but I'll prob drop in another 8 to utilize the dual bus advantage.

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• Awesome...

I am doing all mine by mail so it's going to be a few weeks before the parts come pouring in.
    The_Z_Man
    NET Veteran

• I worked with a friend's mini laptop that has usb ports and not anything else to load programs. He has 8.1 on it and I took a crash course to learn what I needed to know. He is having problems working with the internet due to the hard ground line phone hookup for his DSL line. He has a modem that has wireless and the wireless drops out once in a while. Now it has a ethernet hookup from his modem of which I had some wire from a previous job. I still think it is gonna be his wire to the phone hook up that is messed up. He shall probably have to go with Hughesnet wireless like a friend of mine has at his place.
    "Unfortunately, common sense is the least common of all the senses..." - Mark Twain
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

• Seahawkfan80 wrote:I worked with a friend's mini laptop that has usb ports and not anything else to load programs. He has 8.1 on it and I took a crash course to learn what I needed to know. He is having problems working with the internet due to the hard ground line phone hookup for his DSL line. He has a modem that has wireless and the wireless drops out once in a while. Now it has a ethernet hookup from his modem of which I had some wire from a previous job. I still think it is gonna be his wire to the phone hook up that is messed up. He shall probably have to go with Hughesnet wireless like a friend of mine has at his place.

You know, I had similar problems with my laptop. I hooked up a CAT5 cable to the modem...problem gone.

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• sutz wrote:
    Seahawkfan80 wrote:I worked with a friend's mini laptop that has usb ports and not anything else to load programs. He has 8.1 on it and I took a crash course to learn what I needed to know. He is having problems working with the internet due to the hard ground line phone hookup for his DSL line. He has a modem that has wireless and the wireless drops out once in a while. Now it has a ethernet hookup from his modem of which I had some wire from a previous job. I still think it is gonna be his wire to the phone hook up that is messed up. He shall probably have to go with Hughesnet wireless like a friend of mine has at his place.

You know, I had similar problems with my laptop. I hooked up a CAT5 cable to the modem...problem gone.

Another friend has the same network system in town and he has issues with the net dropping out at home.

The only problem I see here with his system is if there is no wireless, he is kind of relegated to the room that has the modem. The other problem I see is that I can not tell if the system is failing or not. At least with wireless, I can tell if there is a problem by monitoring the antenna power. I could see it dropping out off and on. Another thing I could do is put in a remote wireless hookup that is not internal to the laptop to check the wireless card in the laptop. I have one that fits in the usb port. Also, both houses do not have fiberoptic....it is 4 wire old style tip and ring.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:43 pm
  • sutz wrote:Looks good, Z! No PSU in that model, I take it? I'm sticking with the SATA drives for now. I tend not to fly on the forward edge of tech. I like established technology.

I believe mine will fit liquid cooling, though I don't see that I'll ever need it.

I ended up going with a corsair 750w power supply in addition to the Vengeance Case.

And all of this (*=suggested by Roland)

the i7 6 core 3.3
    An Asrock X99 Extreme MB*
    4x4 GB Mushkin Red memory*
    Crucial MX100 SSD
    2x 3TB Western Digital Caviar Green HD's (for data storage)
    Asus STRIX GTX960 GPU
    Deepcool Gammax 400 air cooler for the CPU

System should "fly moderately" handle all my photoshop needs + a few games that I might want to mess around with, and last me a good 5 years, that was the intent. 5 years.
    The_Z_Man
    NET Veteran

• Pretty impressive sounding machine, Z. Best of luck!

sutz
    USMC 1970-77

It is currently Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:07 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NET LOUNGE ]

Information