Rainsong and carbon guitars...

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! RATING: PG-13
Rainsong and carbon guitars...
Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:24 pm
  • I know we have at least a few very Akamai (smart) guitar players in this forum. I just received a Rainsong Parlor via US mail. Because we lack such creature comforts here in the islands, I was unable to first play the Rainsong and/or any other carbon guitars like the CAs, Emeralds, etc. I am curious as to whether or not some of you have experience with these very cool guitars (?).

The neck on this Rainsong seems very bulky. But I am used to playing a Strat, so don't want to give an unfair evaluation to this (pricey) guitar. Has anyone played a Carbon that has a neck more akin to a Strat?

I will close this by saying this guitar is incredible in almost every other way. The sound is awesome and I've never known such sustain on an acoustic guitar. The harmonics are out of this world and it sometimes sounds more like a piano than guitar. I want to love this thing and will if I cannot locate a slimmer, down sized neck. your thoughts will be greatly appreciated and I thank you in advance.
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

Re: Rainsong and carbon guitars...
Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:58 pm
  • I've decided to purchase the "gloss" CA Cargo as well. Should be here Saturday.

Should any of you acoustic players want to know my comparative thoughts (between the 2), just ask. I do believe these carbon guitars are the wave of the future and neck aside, I'm enjoying this Rainsong in big fashion. A little brighter in sound than I had hoped (compared to wood), but getting use to it now and found the difference ialmost unnoticeable when plugged in.
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:43 pm
  • HawkWow wrote:I've decided to purchase the "gloss" CA Cargo as well. Should be here Saturday.

Should any of you acoustic players want to know my comparative thoughts (between the 2), just ask. I do believe these carbon guitars are the wave of the future and neck aside, I'm enjoying this Rainsong in big fashion. A little brighter in sound than I had hoped (compared to wood), but getting use to it now and found the difference ialmost unnoticeable when plugged in.

With the scarcity of Brazilian Rosewood (my preferred wood for back & sides) I wound up building my acoustic Guitar with Indian Rosewood.
    I scalloped the top inside bracing ( pre- WW 2 Martin style) and it helped to give it a little more boom, and I've noticed that the more I play it, the more I can hear it finding it's voice.
    I have 4 other acoustic guitars guitar's and a mandolin hanging on my living room wall.
    I will be including a Tacoma Chief ( if I can find one that isn't overpriced)
    As you can ascertain, I'm obviously hung up on wood, because of the variable tonalities that each of my instruments produce, but that's not to say that I'm not open, and curious about the voice that the Rainsong may produce, but, I would have to be dazzled out of my socks to put up the money to buy one though.
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:12 pm
  • You build your own guitars bro? I am in awe. I'm suddenly not so proud I managed to stick our mailbox up on a 4x4. ; )

I have a buddy that has a hotel in Cambodia. Just the other day he was telling me he lost 2 of his kitchen staff because "they were busted for stealing Rosewood (and shooting at the pursuing cops)". So I guess the stuff must be prized internationally.

I don't think you would like the Rainsong. It definitely does not remind me of wood. I'm getting use to it only because I do my best to think of it as something other than wood. Rich sound aside, it is an incredible guitar in every other way.

The CA (Peavey) Cargo is almost half the price but still expensive at $1200. It sounds much woodier than the Rainsong and is simply amazing..especially considering it fits in an overhead. It came with medium Elixer strings, which I've not played before, and they are taking some getting use to but I love this thing. The problem I'm having now is taking it to the beach. And that was my primary reason for getting either guitar but they are just too gorgeous. That and the electronics on the Rainsong are so exposed ...I kinda feel like I was BSed a bit. They act like you can use it for a canoe paddle, then you see the pre-amp etc and understand it better not get wet. So all that money later and I will still be toting my little Martin around down there, lol. Both guitars sound awesome plugged in, btw.

I've not played the larger CAs but if they have an even bigger, richer sound than the Cargo, I recommend you check one out if you're thinking composite. Would sure love to see a pic or 2 of your builds should you be compelled to share. I envy your talents.
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:25 am
  • I picked up a used Rainsong Black Ice Jumbo for well under street price and absolutely freaking love it. The craftsmanship places it in the same echelon as Taylor, while the material science puts it on a whole different level. One of the neatest things about the Rainsong design is the lack of internal bracing, so the sound is absolutely massive and uniquely articulate. I honestly cannot say enough good things about Rainsong. Also worth noting is the fact it's a local company, based in Woodinville.
    Feel free to contact me if you need legal assistance. I have a great lawyer that helped me with an ex who violated my privacy and kept harassing me on MySpace and Facebook. He's very good. And there is legal precedent. - linuxpro

He is hold back the legion of boom - skater18000
    SmokinHawk
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:24 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NET LOUNGE ]

Information