Making A Murderer [SPOILERS]

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! RATING: PG-13
Making A Murderer [SPOILERS]
Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:34 am
  • Holy moly, are you guys watching this doc?

If not, get on it, it's some gripping shocking shizzle. The doc is rife with spoilers so don't want to say too much, but it's about as well done as a doc can be and casts a terrible picture of corruption, guilt, innocence............it's all there.
    Last edited by Anguish on Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
    Reason: Corrected the topic title
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran

Re: Making A Murder
Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:06 am
  • Just finished episode 2. Its hard to avoid spoilers as they are everywhere.

That said... my fiancee asked after watching episode 1 "How are they going to make it to 10 episodes if he's already out of prison?"

I was like "no, that's just the premise. It gets worse."
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Re: Making A Murderer
Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:27 am
  • Wife and I binge watched it the day after Christmas.

It's truly shocking.
    Anguish
    * NET Co-Owner *

Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:16 pm
  • We binged the whole thing too lol. I have my thoughts but don't want to spoil it for anyone.
    austinslater25
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:01 pm
  • My wife watched it, I chose to play The Last of Us remastered instead. I think I chose wisely.
    SalishHawkFan wrote:My name is Russell Wilson. You intercepted 4 of my passes. Prepare to die.
    OkieHawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:47 pm
  • Started watching. It was dumb. Quit watching.
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *

Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:34 am
  • Tech Worlds wrote:Started watching. It was dumb. Quit watching.

Intelligent, interesting and thought provoking docs aren't your thing?

We finished last night, I thought it was brilliant. The amount of information, phone records, interview recordings, people involved and time past to piece this kind of doc together is mind boggling. Big ups to the doc creators and directors, this had to be insane to make.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:59 pm
  • Through episode 3 and I like it so far. This must have taken forever to make. I've heard from a few people it's pretty biased though (can't confirm or deny, far too early to have an opinion) and they make the prosecutors appear much worse. Pretty disturbing overall though. The scene with the cops "interrogating" his nephew in episode 3 made my blood boil.
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:02 pm
  • mistaowen wrote:Through episode 3 and I like it so far. This must have taken forever to make. I've heard from a few people it's pretty biased though (can't confirm or deny, far too early to have an opinion) and they make the prosecutors appear much worse. Pretty disturbing overall though. The scene with the cops "interrogating" his nephew in episode 3 made my blood boil.

All these things come to a satisfying conclusion as far as bias, keep watching...........and yes I was screaming at the TV when the judge allowed Brendan's coerced confession and jackass first council who was in the back pocket of the prosecutor's testimony.

What court allows a 16 year old with a 78 IQ to be interrogated without his parent or lawyer? That's criminal to me.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:33 am
  • I just finished episode #5

Yes it's slow moving but Holy Crap I find this stuff interesting.
    I can understand why some may not like it but hey, that's what BugsBunny and RoadRunner are for, right?

:{)
    ITS A GREAT TIME TO BE A SEAHAWK FAN !
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:29 pm
  • pmedic920 wrote:I just finished episode #5

Yes it's slow moving but Holy Crap I find this stuff interesting.
    I can understand why some may not like it but hey, that's what BugsBunny and RoadRunner are for, right?

:{)

Oh there's an entire ADD generation that can't handle any show that they have to pay attention to and can't just surf Instragram and Snapchat looking up every 7 1/2 minutes and still know what's going on.

Here's an interesting part of the case that an actual viewer of the doc send into Avery's lawyers after watching.

http://uproxx.com/tv/making-a-murderer- ... -keychain/
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:38 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:

Oh there's an entire ADD generation that can't handle any show that they have to pay attention to and can't just surf Instragram and Snapchat looking up every 7 1/2 minutes and still know what's going on.

Or, maybe we just don't care?
    SalishHawkFan wrote:My name is Russell Wilson. You intercepted 4 of my passes. Prepare to die.
    OkieHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:38 pm
  • I'm as ADD as it gets, but Making a Murderer held my attention for 3 straight episodes. I can't wait to watch the rest.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:12 pm
  • It's shit.
    There was this monkey, right?
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:16 pm
  • peachesenregalia wrote:It's the shit.

I agree
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:02 pm
  • Yeah man it's crazy stuff...I feel for Avery...Dude looks to me like he's being framed plain and simple. (On episode 3)

IGNORE THE NOISE!
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:00 pm
  • Needs more hot chicks
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *

Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:51 pm
  • Tech Worlds wrote:Needs more hot chicks

I thoroughly enjoyed it, but I would have settled for a glimpse of one slightly not ugly chick.
    Seanhawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:12 am
  • What? Avery's girlfriend is smoking. The Debbie Gibson jeans sealed it for me. Whatever.
    austinslater25
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:53 am
  • peachesenregalia wrote:It's shit.

Why?
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:39 am
  • austinslater25 wrote:What? Avery's girlfriend is smoking. The Debbie Gibson jeans sealed it for me. Whatever.

Only in your dreams.
    Seanhawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:53 pm
  • It's really good, I binged it a few weeks ago. I will say this though, the documentary is biased towards favoring Avery. I've watched a few interviews on the internet where they mention how certain things were not brought up in the documentary.

I watch certain parts of the doc and say, "how is he not innocent." And then I watch other parts and say, "oh he's definitely guilty."
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:36 am
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:It's really good, I binged it a few weeks ago. I will say this though, the documentary is biased towards favoring Avery. I've watched a few interviews on the internet where they mention how certain things were not brought up in the documentary.

I watch certain parts of the doc and say, "how is he not innocent." And then I watch other parts and say, "oh he's definitely guilty."

See now I would have agreed with you halfway through the series, because by episode 4 or 5 I was convinced that Avery was innocent.

But after the last 3-4 episodes when they got into the Massey trial and Avery himself in prison I changed my mind. My conclusion is it was a group effort of some sort between Avery and one or more Massey's (Brendan and/or older brother).

Now do I think the local sheriff's were all crooked and trying to frame Avery because they knew he did it but needed more evidence? Yes, I think they planted that key, the bullet and coerced Brendan to spill the beans on Steven.

IMO there's no other conclusion. No one outside that family compound could kill Halbach, ditch her car, burn and bury her body ON their compound without one of what, like 15-20 people not knowing or seeing anything? That's a bridge too far for me.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:48 am
  • Wisconsin is creepy as hell, by the end I had no idea if he was guilty or not, but based on the evidence that was shown to me via the show I don't see how he could be convicted. The key seems bogus, no dna or blood on the bed, no record of the car ever being received by the junkyard (which means the family was covering up or it was simply dumped by someone) , the kid was coerced, the local authorities had an axe to grind with the Avery's, how does a 22 bullet go thru the woman's head and end up under an air compressor?, the puncture in the blood vial, could the FBI have misrespresented the results of the test to protect local law enforcement? The inconclusive result from the other gal's test that was reported as positive, just so many things that don't add up.

**please delete if these are considered spoilers ***
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:08 am
  • Anyone weirded out by Scott tadych and Bobby Dassey? Those two just look guilty.
    austinslater25
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:44 am
  • austinslater25 wrote:Anyone weirded out by Scott tadych and Bobby Dassey? Those two just look guilty.

I liked Avery's Dad :D everyone else besides the defense lawyers were creepy as hell.
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:47 am
  • austinslater25 wrote:Anyone weirded out by Scott tadych and Bobby Dassey? Those two just look guilty.

Yes, all the Massey's creeped me out.

They remind me of the hillbilly family from Deliverance...............too much inbreeding.

Which btw, is a claim by many of the local residents that grew up with the Avery families. Bunch of cousin humping inbreds that break the law constantly and cause trouble in the community.

One of the reasons why I think the jury convicted him, they had a LOT of preconceived ideas and opinions about that family. Even from other counties.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:39 am
  • The most shocking part to me so far was when that sheriff (or whatever he was at the time) addressed the media about a conspiracy and defended themselves by saying it would have been easier to just kill Avery. I was like...did a cop really just say that to the media? Unbelievable...or "off the charts" as Avery's attorney said to the judge.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:59 am

Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:02 pm
  • Well good. Now I don't have to watch the show and can finish Longmire
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *

Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:16 pm
  • It just stretches all credibility to think that a man who was wrongfully convicted of rape and served 18 years for a crime he didn't commit would turn right around and murder a woman on his property while suing the county for wrongful incarceration all the while being in the public eye and scrutiny.

Seems to me that those he was suing had a very big ax to grind and framed him for murder.

IGNORE THE NOISE!
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:34 pm
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:Good read. Bullet points #2, #7, and #8 stood out to me, hard to frame those.

http://www.thewrap.com/making-a-murdere ... ns-guilty/

I haven't finished the documentary yet, but I already was able to tell that the entire thing was put together to influence a certain opinion...much like a Michael Moore documentary (or any documentary, really). I could already tell that lots of information was left out from the prosecuting side, so it's nice to see these points of view.

Still, all of those reasons listed by the prosecutor there aren't PROOF that he did it. Only bits and pieces of evidence that suggest WHERE it happened. They only found sweat Remember, in criminal court, you are only supposed to say a person is guilty if you know he is BEYOND A SHADOW OF A DOUBT. That means if there is ANY possibillity that somebody else could have went on his proprety, killed her, and burned her body...along with the the possibility that the county police planted evidence...and to me there is definitely at least a small % chance that all happened...then as a juror you're supposed to vote not guilty. .01% chance he didn't do it? Not guilty. That's how it works.

#2 - Why did Teresa go back if she said she would never go back to that house? Obviously she knew where it was...this doesn't make any sense at all. I've been scared of a lot of people who didn't wind up murdering me. Flimsy.

#7 - You call somebody a few times with #67 and maybe you start to think "hey, maybe she won't answer calls that don't show up on caller ID. Maybe I should call her from my regular phone in hopes she answers." That's just one reason not related to murdering somebody that I can think of. Flimsy flimsy flimsy.

#8 - Okay, so there's his sweat on the hood of the car. Why isn't it on the steering wheel, seats, etc....why is it just on the hood? Could be any number of reasons. So flimsy.

The way I see it is that this should have never gone to trial simply the way it was handled. If any member of Manitowac County's police was involved in the investigation, it should have immediately been thrown out due to a conflict of interest, the way it was handled, the questionability of the evidence, the lack of motive, the lack of prior criminal history toward killing and toward women, etc....the judge REALLY messed up (as they often do).

Our criminal justice system is setup to put convictions in the fast lane. The corporations who own the prisons, the prosecutors, and the police department are all REWARDED for getting convictions. And they are all VERY friendly with the judges. The simple fact is, we do not operate our criminal justice system on the basis that you are innocent until proven guilty. It's sickening.

Excuse me for all the capitalized words...but I get really worked up over the idea that a possibly innocent person's life is ruined by being forced into prison.

Edit: Mods, you should add *spoilers* to the topic title just in case.
    Last edited by Anguish on Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Reason: Done
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

It is currently Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:42 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NET LOUNGE ]

Information