Questions about the Pacific North West

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! RATING: PG-13
Questions about the Pacific North West
Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:10 pm
  • After being a California resident for 12 years I am feeling the yearn for a change. This LA traffic and lifestyle is wearing thin on me. As a Seahawks fan Seattle is the obvious choice. I've been back and forth (on family visits) to Seattle and I hate to complain about weather, but I think the winter months are a bit too wet for me.

My question is, is there a significant difference in climate in Oregon (Portland and surrounding areas) to Seattle? Plus please don't limit it to a climate question any extra comments are welcome. While I can look at the data but I would like to hear your anecdotal evidence. Why should I prefer one place over the other? There are some smart folks on this site and sometime's people's input is very useful if you sift through it objectively.

Thanks!!!
    rastahawk
    * Just Chillin' *

• Portland is a bit drier and usually 5 or so degrees warmer on any given day. That said, do not mistake that for being remotely close to 'dry'. It still rains a lot here and is quite dreary from late Oct. to mid to late Feb.

As someone who has lived in SoCal (13 years) I will tell you for me it isn't the winter months that get to me. That's because there's football to distract me from the wet, dreary weather......that is until after the Super Bowl. That's when it gets tough for me up here. Spring can be almost non-existent here as we seem to go from rain to summer some years though that certainly is not always the case. But Spring just doesn't compare to that season in SoCal. Remembering 70-75 in March, 75-80 in April and 80-85 in May down there makes it really tough up here that time of year for me when it's in the 50s and 60s a large portion of those months and often still wet. Even June is not great some years.....65ish and scattered showers often.

Eastern Oregon and Eastern Washington are drier, but much colder in the winter and often snowy.

Whatever you decide, I wish you the best if you do indeed move up here.
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

Proud member of the 38 club
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

• I'd say the difference in weather between Seattle and Portland isn't noticeable.

I love the scenicness of the Seattle area, mountains, sound, lakes, etc absolutley hate the traffic thru Seattle, Bellevue, and Everett areas with a passion (see I-5, I-405, and 99). If you make a change, do your homework, where are you going to live and where are you going to work, and figure in the commute... Unless you like to sit in rush hour traffic for 3 hours a day that is.... 8)
    Also people don't know how to drive here. It's either "weavers" diving in and out of lanes cutting folks off or folks driving like 90 year old blue hairs doing 45 in the fast lane on I-5 causing a "rolling roadblock of sorts".
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

Re: Questions about the Pacific North West
Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:12 pm
  • Thanks guys. Some great info so far!
    rastahawk
    * Just Chillin' *

Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:03 am

• KitsapGuy wrote:Oregon also has a state income tax. Not as bad as California. But still something to ponder.

http://www.tax-rates.org/compare/income ... california

http://career-advice.monster.com/salary ... ticle.aspx

VERY good point. And even if you live in Washington but work in Oregon, you pay it (taxation without representation because you get no voting rights in OR). The reverse is true too, if you live in Oregon and work in Washington you will also still pay it.
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:32 am
  • In Oregon you can't even pump your own gas; you just sit there in the car like a helpless old lady while some seedy attendant swipes your card and fills your tank for you. A difference-maker for me.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Les Norton - gone but never forgotten. Rest in blue and green peace, my friend.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:14 am
  • Seahawk Sailor wrote:In Oregon you can't even pump your own gas; you just sit there in the car like a helpless old lady while some seedy attendant swipes your card and fills your tank for you. A difference-maker for me.

I still don't get why that law hasn't been changed yet, it's pointless. I wish I could find the video they usually run during the campaign to nix the law, but evidently I am not Google savvy today.
    Zebulon Dak wrote:If any Twitter employees get assassinated I'll vote Republican from here on out.
    OkieHawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:26 am
  • OkieHawk wrote:
    Seahawk Sailor wrote:In Oregon you can't even pump your own gas; you just sit there in the car like a helpless old lady while some seedy attendant swipes your card and fills your tank for you. A difference-maker for me.

I still don't get why that law hasn't been changed yet, it's pointless. I wish I could find the video they usually run during the campaign to nix the law, but evidently I am not Google savvy today.

New Jersey is the same way. When I was stationed in Maryland and did road trips north, I'd make a point of gassing up either before I hit the Jersey border, or after I'd crossed over into New York. Absolutely hate driving in those states.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Les Norton - gone but never forgotten. Rest in blue and green peace, my friend.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:56 pm
  • Traffic is equally as terrible. Drivers are ten times worse. Hipsters here too. Weather sucks. Like HFSD1 you dont really notice until Jan-Feb. Then it sucks. Then its July. Summer for a couple months. Then back to it. Other than that its awesome.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

• I rode my motorcycle down the coast today in a sleeveless shirt and shorts on Oct. 23rd. I am NOT leaving this, after spending 32 years in the NW.
    R.I.P. Brother Les
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Rain here isn't as bad as some make it out to be. Granted I've lived here off and in my whole life and don't care about the wet weather.

I ride a skateboard all season long, rain or shine. The wet/cold is something that can be remedied with some under armour and a nice coat.

Go Hawks.
    SouthSoundHawk
    NET Veteran

• Largent80 wrote:I rode my motorcycle down the coast today in a sleeveless shirt and shorts on Oct. 23rd. I am NOT leaving this, after spending 32 years in the NW.

Again, I hate you.
    :229031_banghead:
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

• hawksfansinceday1 wrote:
    Largent80 wrote:I rode my motorcycle down the coast today in a sleeveless shirt and shorts on Oct. 23rd. I am NOT leaving this, after spending 32 years in the NW.

Again, I hate you.
    :229031_banghead:

No sh*t!!
    ImageImageImage

"You kept believing, you kept fighting, you kept clawing and scratching
    and look what you freakin' did. Put that freakin' trophy up again!" - Pete Carroll
    tom sawyer
    NET Veteran

Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:25 am
  • Seahawk Sailor wrote:
    OkieHawk wrote:
    Seahawk Sailor wrote:In Oregon you can't even pump your own gas; you just sit there in the car like a helpless old lady while some seedy attendant swipes your card and fills your tank for you. A difference-maker for me.

New Jersey is the same way. When I was stationed in Maryland and did road trips north, I'd make a point of gassing up either before I hit the Jersey border, or after I'd crossed over into New York. Absolutely hate driving in those states.

haha. I have lived in NJ my whole life and I HATE pumping my own gas when I'm in another state. who wants to get out of a nice warm car and stand in the elements when you can just sit there listening to the radio and have someone do it for you?

Win Forever!
    JonRud
    NET Veteran

Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:17 am
  • Largent80 wrote:I rode my motorcycle down the coast today in a sleeveless shirt and shorts on Oct. 23rd. I am NOT leaving this, after spending 32 years in the NW.

No offense but your also in a horrible drought that is ruining nature, causes fires, kills agriculture etc. It's a give and take.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:44 am
  • I just took a shower. It's not that bad.

The locusts are expected by next week however.
    R.I.P. Brother Les
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

You know what Larg, after 12 years in Southern California the one thing I have learnt that is if you make plans for something, you never cancel because of weather i.e. rain. If you plan a golf outing on the weekend by god you are playing golf on Saturday! That is a luxury that is hard for me give up.

Plus its kind of suspicious that I am seeing more Washington and Oregon plates around the roads here in LA! People must be sick of the weather up there too.
    rastahawk
    * Just Chillin' *

• rastahawk wrote:You know what Larg, after 12 years in Southern California the one thing I have learnt that is if you make plans for something, you never cancel because of weather i.e. rain. If you plan a golf outing on the weekend by god you are playing golf on Saturday! That is a luxury that is hard for me give up..........

When I first moved to SoCal (San Diego area) in Nov. of '89, I asked my wife's friend's husband (they were kind enough to put us up at their house until we got jobs and our own place) what's the best thing about living in San Diego? and he replied "when you plan something outside e.g. picnic, golf game, baseball game, etc., you are able to do it 99% of the time".

You will miss that Rasta.
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

• Can you drive in wind and rain, snow ice and sleet, if not don't come, we have enough up here as is that backs up traffic for hours :)

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• Folks stating that drivers up here are worse than in SoCal are correct.
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

• hawksfansinceday1 wrote:Folks stating that drivers up here are worse than in SoCal are correct.

Yes, I think its a NW thing though, Oregon and Idaho are not much better at driving than folks are here.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:46 pm
  • Seahawk Sailor wrote:In Oregon you can't even pump your own gas; you just sit there in the car like a helpless old lady while some seedy attendant swipes your card and fills your tank for you. A difference-maker for me.

Yeah, not having to get out of your car and pump your own gas totally sucks.

That's one of those backwards reasons Washingtonians pretend to dislike Oregon. I know because I used to be a Washingtonian and I used to say the same thing. Truth is, not having to pump your own gas is pretty awesome.
    Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:52 pm
  • As to the OP, Portland is about 5 degrees warmer on hot days and 5 degrees colder on cold days, give or take a degree or 2. Other than that it's pretty much a wash.

We don't have the Olympics down here and the Cascades are less prominent so the weather tends to move on through a little smoother.

Cities like Bend and Ashland have climates much more similar to CA than WA.

Those are my experiences as a Washingtonian & Oregonian.
    Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

• Sports Hernia wrote:
    hawksfansinceday1 wrote:Folks stating that drivers up here are worse than in SoCal are correct.

Yes, I think its a NW thing though, Oregon and Idaho are not much better at driving than folks are here.

I meant the entirety of the three states, WA, OR and ID.
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:10 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NET LOUNGE ]

Information