Comedians others like, but you don't find funny

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • Amy Schumer - I guess I maybe don't get it. She wasn't bad at all in Trainwreck. But the stand-up? OMG, just so unfunny. From her content to her delivery. Basically any female comic that spends 75% of her show talking about her vagina and how dirty she is, isn't my thing. Worthless.

Will Ferrell - Well, besides Elf, which might be in my top-10 comedies. His whole thing is just too far over the top. Too corny, too unfunny. Anchroman might be the dumbest film I've ever seen. I get why people like him.

Jim Carrey - Okay, maybe Anchorman isn't THE dumbest film I've ever seen.

John Leguizamo - Decent actor, but unfunny attention-whore. Took Billy Crystal's act and ruined it.

Kevin Hart - There are two sides to this one. First, I think he is an absolutely hilarious comedic actor. I'll watch a Kevin Hart movie anytime. But his stand-up is among the most unfunny stand-ups I've ever seen.

Rob Riggle - Might be the most annoying human alive.
    I'm fly
    I should be in the sky with birds
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

• Tical21 wrote:...Will Ferrell - Well, besides Elf, which might be in my top-10 comedies. His whole thing is just too far over the top. Too corny, too unfunny. Anchroman might be the dumbest film I've ever seen. I get why people like him....

I don't get why anyone likes him, Elf included.

Schumer is hit or miss, but when she's on, I like her. It's more for women I think.

Riggle is awful. Hart sux too, I like Carey's movies but his stand up is lame. John Leguizamo - Agree Completely.

I'll add Sandler to the list. I like some of what Sandler does, but the vast majority is immature nonsense.

Not impressed with Foxworthy or Larry The Cable dummy either. :34853_doh:

BTW isn't this thread more a shackworthy topic? :?:
    SeAhAwKeR4life
    NET Veteran

• Not a big Louis C.K. fan.

Dane Cook is horrible.
    Adopt A Rookie: Nick Vannett, TE - Ohio State University
    Laloosh
    * NET Moderator *

• Laloosh wrote:
    Dane Cook is horrible.

Agree 100%.
    Annual Adopt a Rookie: Vannett
    OkieHawk
    * NET Moderator *

• IMO Will Ferrell may be the most overrated comic actor of all-time. Guy has made a career out of doing SNL era Bill Murray schtick .

Every time I watch Louis C.K. I end up turning him off after like 15 mins. He just doesn't hold my attention or make me laugh.

The thing with Amy is that she had the one really funny stand up special on Comedy Central and since then, meh.

Proud member of the 38 Club

Proud member of the .Net Old Farts Society
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Not completely un-funny, but this guy and the screaming were all he had really and it was way overrated. Sam Kinison :roll:

SeAhAwKeR4life
    NET Veteran

• Laloosh wrote:Not a big Louis C.K. fan.

Dane Cook is horrible.

I didn't include Dane Cook on the list because I don't think I've actually met anyone who thought he was funny.

Louis CK, on the other hand, is the funniest white person alive. That's saying something considering how much I like Conan and Norm MacDonald. It kind of took me a while, but man, that guy speaks my language. He became much funnier once I became an overweight parent in a bad marriage, but he's pure genius. I contend you just haven't found the right one of his routines to suck you in. Try Shameless from 2007. Gold.
    I'm fly
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

• I forgot to add Larry David to my list. Yeah, I said it. Just not funny. Nothing he makes. People that want others to think they know comedy love Larry David. Just boring to the point that you can't take your eyes off it I guess.
    I'm fly
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

• Almost all of them.
    #BlackSabbathMatters
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• There are very few stand up comics that make me laugh doing stand up. I do enjoy most of them in movies or sitcoms though.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

• The Dice man...

enjoy the ride
    HomerJHawk
    NET Veteran

• Seinfeld
    LargentFan
    NET Veteran

• Robin Williams
    Palmegranite
    NET Practice Squad

• Palmegranite wrote:Robin Williams

1000% agreed. He was the most unfunny man alive, when he was alive.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

• JSeahawks wrote:
    Palmegranite wrote:Robin Williams

You are both soulless. :rumble:
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

• Chris Rock. Very unfunny and worse as an actor.
    HAWKAMANIA
    NET Veteran

I agree, but he was a damn fine dramatic actor. Even his dramatic moments in comedies, like Good Morning Vietnam, were great. His comedy was too...try-hard for me.
    LargentFan
    NET Veteran

• Adam Sandler
    Amy Schumer
    Jim Carrey
    Will Ferrell
    Formula for success: Rise early, Work hard, repeat.
    Hawk_Nation
    NET Veteran

• HAWKAMANIA wrote:Chris Rock. Very unfunny and worse as an actor.

Rock is the break from the norm for me. Most comedians I like their movies more than their standup, but I really like Chris rocks standup, and not his movies.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

• JSeahawks wrote:
    HAWKAMANIA wrote:Chris Rock. Very unfunny and worse as an actor.

Rock is the break from the norm for me. Most comedians I like their movies more than their standup, but I really like Chris rocks standup, and not his movies.

I still think Rock is the funniest man alive. What I wouldn't give for one more HBO special. I even closet-like his movies, but his stand-up is what makes him special.

Really good stand-up is one of my favorite things on the planet. Chris Rock, Louis CK, Dave Chapelle, pre-crazy Katt Williams, Conan, Letterman and Billy Crystal. Oh, and a guy named Nick Griffin.
    I'm fly
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

• Larry the Cableguy
    Jeff Foxworthy
    The ventriloquist guy
    "Go for Broke" - 442nd Japanese-American Battalion

Shaun Alexander #37 for the HoF - 119 Games 2176 Att 9429 Yards 4.3 YPC 100 TDs (112 TDs total) 2005 MVP

"YOU POST...TO WIN...thethread." JesterHawk
    sammyc521
    NET Veteran

• Maulbert wrote:
    JSeahawks wrote:

You are both soulless. :rumble:

Ditto. One of the funniest human beings ever. His off the cuff riffing was funnier than most comics' carefully written acts.

Proud member of the 38 Club

Proud member of the .Net Old Farts Society
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Ring Of Honor

Well this thread went right to shit and irrelevance.

Tical, I do have to say your taste concerning comedy and stand up is absolutely horrible.
    MizzouHawkGal
    .NET Protector of the Hotties

• MizzouHawkGal wrote:

Tical, I do have to say your taste concerning comedy and stand up is absolutely horrible.

What makes you say that?
    I'm fly
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

• sammyc521 wrote:Larry the Cableguy
    Jeff Foxworthy
    The ventriloquist guy

If you are speaking of Jeff Dunham.....I kinda like him. Kinda like his dummies too. Although I am not opposed to our dummies either. I am sure that the PC police are here and watching. LOL :twisted: :sarcasm_off:
    Cats will rule the world...just ask my cat.
    RLKats..."Scott M. Made the niners good helped build the Hawks a bit (current GM is a bad ass). Quote me." So I did.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

• Tical21 wrote:
    MizzouHawkGal wrote:

What makes you say that?

I like quite a few that you seem to dislike and dislike quite a few that you like. It's a matter of opinion I suppose.
    MizzouHawkGal
    .NET Protector of the Hotties

• MizzouHawkGal wrote:
    Tical21 wrote:
    MizzouHawkGal wrote:

What makes you say that?

I like quite a few that you seem to dislike and dislike quite a few that you like. It's a matter of opinion I suppose.

No, you just have zip for taste and no clue what's funny and what's not. Simple really.... :mrgreen:
    SeAhAwKeR4life
    NET Veteran

• There's no hard line differentiating comedic taste.
    I'm half and half with Tical's list. Amy Schumer and Kevin Hart, agreed, their comedy does nadda for me, and Norm MacDonald is the funniest comedian alive.
    On the other hand, not a fan of Louise C.K, I like Larry David, laugh at Dane Cook's standup, and some of Will Farrell's idiotic movies I find hilarious, but some of that can be attributed to the writers. (Blades of Glory: Coach: Don't step on the berber. Chazz: Why would we step in baby food?
    Jimmy: He's talking about the carpet. Berber?
    Chazz: What are you? The rug doctor?
    Jimmy: Maybe I am.
    Chazz: I'm the rug master.

Oh I should add that Dennis Miller doesn't have a comedic bone in his body. A bloviating pseudo intellectual.
    Palmegranite
    NET Practice Squad

• I'm just messin' with her too, hope she got that.

Thing is about comedy, even some of these guys I generally won't laugh at, sometimes if it's on when I'm tired, or in the right company, it will be funny as shit, then next time I see it nada....

Comedy is subjective like that.
    SeAhAwKeR4life
    NET Veteran

• LargentFan wrote:

I agree, but he was a damn fine dramatic actor. Even his dramatic moments in comedies, like Good Morning Vietnam, were great. His comedy was too...try-hard for me.

Watching him on a talk show like Letterman made we want to jam a fork in my eye.
    Seanhawk
    NET Veteran

• I enjoy standup but it has to be the most "all over the place" art form in modern society. Different comedians speak to different people and there's no way to hit every funny bone out there. It really is the same as modern music. Does anyone agree on that?

Amy Schumer is a good example. She's very funny at times, and completely dull others. We watched David Cross in Spokane and the crowd was howling and I was staring at my watch. I always know it's going to be a crapshoot when I go.

But you should go see and support comedy, especially local comics. Some of the best times we've ever had is just watching local comics talk about local issues and it's pretty chill and funny. National headliners can be expensive and self-important but it's worth the risk.
    * NET Staff *

• This is one of my favorite bits of all time and virtually nobody else I know thinks it's funny.

Image Always been a Seahawks fan
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

• Zebulon Dak wrote:This is one of my favorite bits of all time and virtually nobody else I know thinks it's funny.

I see why. 4/10. You need to get out more. I love Carrey, but...give me Fireman Bill any day.
    enjoy the ride
    HomerJHawk
    NET Veteran

• Tical21 wrote:
    JSeahawks wrote:
    HAWKAMANIA wrote:Chris Rock. Very unfunny and worse as an actor.

I still think Rock is the funniest man alive. What I wouldn't give for one more HBO special. I even closet-like his movies, but his stand-up is what makes him special.

Really good stand-up is one of my favorite things on the planet. Chris Rock, Louis CK, Dave Chapelle, pre-crazy Katt Williams, Conan, Letterman and Billy Crystal. Oh, and a guy named Nick Griffin.

"I'm not saying he shoulda done it, but I understand."
    Adopt A Rookie: Nick Vannett, TE - Ohio State University
    Laloosh
    * NET Moderator *

• HomerJHawk wrote:
    Zebulon Dak wrote:This is one of my favorite bits of all time and virtually nobody else I know thinks it's funny.

I see why. 4/10. You need to get out more. I love Carrey, but...give me Fireman Bill any day.

I see why too. It's not funny. I love it.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

• I can accept that.

nerd.
    enjoy the ride
    HomerJHawk
    NET Veteran

• HomerJHawk wrote:
    Zebulon Dak wrote:This is one of my favorite bits of all time and virtually nobody else I know thinks it's funny.

Fire MARSHAL BILL....
    Cats will rule the world...just ask my cat.
    RLKats..."Scott M. Made the niners good helped build the Hawks a bit (current GM is a bad ass). Quote me." So I did.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

• Thank you for the correction, SHF80!

I must have seemed a bit dumb there, eh?

Still, I'm not a nerd.
    enjoy the ride
    HomerJHawk
    NET Veteran

• Dave Chapelle. His show was great. His stand-up is terrible.

Any female comedian. I always watch female comedians with an open mind, but I almost never laugh at any of their jokes. I can't figure out why they just aren't as funny as men.

Jeff Dunham. His dummy characters are cringe-worthy.

On a side note...Dane Cook is a great stand-up comedian. Everyone says he's a joke stealer, which IMO is complete bullshit. There are tons of comedians out there with tons of material...there's bound to be some similarities. Sometimes I write a bit and wonder if it's been done before...but what am I gonna do about it? Watch 10,000 hours of stand-up comedy throughout history and see if anyone else has made a similar joke? Of course not. Besides, if you can DELIVER the joke...that's where the true skill lies....that's where you make people laugh. I mean, how many times have you heard somebody quote a comedian only to not laugh? Anyway, Dane posts really stupid opinions on Twitter, sure, but his comedy is great.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

• It's all subjective, obviously, but if you think Chapelle is terrible and Dane Cook is good then you might have some reevaluating to do just on a basic life level.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

• Zebulon Dak wrote:It's all subjective, obviously, but if you think Chapelle is terrible and Dane Cook is good then you might have some reevaluating to do just on a basic life level.

Or if youve decided women arent funny and no woman comedian is funny, you might want to check what it means to say you have an open mind about it.
    “If somebody thinks they're a hedgehog, presumably you just give them a mirror and a few pictures of hedgehogs and tell them to sort it out for themselves.”
    Vetamur
    NET Veteran

• Vetamur wrote:
    Zebulon Dak wrote:It's all subjective, obviously, but if you think Chapelle is terrible and Dane Cook is good then you might have some reevaluating to do just on a basic life level.

Or if youve decided women arent funny and no woman comedian is funny, you might want to check what it means to say you have an open mind about it.

Dane Cook's Isolated Incident stand-up special is one of the best performances I've ever seen.

I never decided women aren't funny. I just said that no woman comedian really makes me laugh. Plenty of male comedians don't make me laugh either.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

• Zebulon Dak wrote:It's all subjective, obviously, but if you think Chapelle is terrible and Dane Cook is good then you might have some reevaluating to do just on a basic life level.

Dave's routine on racism is fantastic.

Annual Adopt a Rookie: Vannett
    OkieHawk
    * NET Moderator *

• fenderbender123 wrote:
    Vetamur wrote:
    Zebulon Dak wrote:It's all subjective, obviously, but if you think Chapelle is terrible and Dane Cook is good then you might have some reevaluating to do just on a basic life level.

Dane Cook's Isolated Incident stand-up special is one of the best performances I've ever seen.

I haven't seen it since it was new but I'm pretty sure that's when he lost me. I liked Harmful If Swallowed, Retaliation, Vicious Circle... I even liked Good Luck Chuck. I thought that shit was funny. Pretty much nothing since though.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

• Zebulon Dak wrote:
    fenderbender123 wrote:
    Vetamur wrote:

I haven't seen it since it was new but I'm pretty sure that's when he lost me. I liked Harmful If Swallowed, Retaliation, Vicious Circle... I even liked Good Luck Chuck. I thought that shit was funny. Pretty much nothing since though.

All of it is great.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

• Haha agree to disagree.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

• Zebulon Dak wrote:Haha agree to disagree.

No. How dare you have different preferences! I HATE YOU!
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

• Nobody likes Fender, so I'll go with them.
    #BlackSabbathMatters
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• HomerJHawk wrote:

That WAS Fire Marshall Bill! :lol:

And the newer the comic/comedy, the less funny it seems, at least as a generality. Old Murphy/Williams stuff was fantastic. Norm MacDonald always cracks me up. Steven Wright is probably the funniest guy alive if we're talking laughs per word. A few others are good. The rest just seem like they work far too hard for it, and when you do that, the line between humor and horror grows very thin indeed.
    "The ultimate number is W's, and that’s what matters in Santa Clara. As such, Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does." - Paul Gutierrez
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

• Earlier Katt Williams >> Chris Rock
    Seahawks fan since Topps 1985.
    Our Man in Chicago
    NET Veteran

Next

It is currently Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:27 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information