Pabst Brewing to be sold to Russian company

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! RATING: PG-13
  • :229031_cheers:

Pabst Blue Ribbon — a sub-premium beer brand that embraced savvy marketing to stay relevant in a craft beer age — has been sold, along with its parent, Pabst Brewing Co., to Russian company Oasis Beverages.

The companies declined to disclose the sale price, but beverage industry analysts estimate the sale at nearly $750 million — a figure nearly three times the estimated $250 million that C. Dean Metropoulos & Co. paid for it in 2010. Oasis Beverages' partner in the purchase is TSC Consumer Partners, a consumer products company that will take a minority stake Pabst.

Besides the familiar Pabst Blue Ribbon label, Pabst Brewing Co. makes Colt 45, Old Milwaukee and Schlitz. It also makes regional brews such as Lone Star, Rainier and Old Style.

The sales comes at a time the U.S. and the global beer industries both are dynamically evolving. In recent years, foreign beer makers have been gobbling up the big U.S. beer brands. At the same time, craft beers have become the industry's fastest-growing sector. Craft beer in the U.S. has 7.8% market share, up from about 4.9% in 2010, reports All About Beer Magazine, the nation's oldest beer consumer magazine.

Even in that environment, Pabst — a lower-priced brand that is anything but craft — has still managed to ratchet-up its popularity with the trend-setting, Millennial beer drinker.

"Pabst very successfully targeted hipsters looking for alternative brand choices," says Chris Rice, president and publisher of All About Beer Magazine. "There's a lot of crossover between the Pabst brand and craft beer drinkers."

Never mind that few other sub-premium brands have had much luck with Millennials.

Pabst Brewing has an iconic past and many baby boomers still recall the familiar, shouted slogan from its 1950s-era commercials: "What'll You Have? Pabst Blue Ribbon."

http://www.king5.com/story/money/busine ... /15894189/
    In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays. 
    First Round Inductee To Hall Of Fame 2014
    ESPN #1 Rated Seahawks Player of All Time
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

• Good, can't call that piss water "American beer" anymore.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• I gotta be really high on other drugs to drink that crap. But I'm a fan of Russia so maybe I'll give it a second chance.
    Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

• Я ненавидел русский пиво прежде, чем это было круто ненавидеть русский пиво.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Les Norton - gone but never forgotten. Rest in blue and green peace, my friend.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

• Seahawk Sailor wrote:Я ненавидел русский пиво прежде, чем это было круто ненавидеть русский пиво.

Hipster.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

• Hog Swill.

R.I.P. Brother Les, I'll always know you as Pithy Radish.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• RolandDeschain wrote:Good, can't call that piss water "American beer" anymore.

Its a gawd damned commie piss water beer now! Stupid ruskies! 8)
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

• Seahawk Sailor wrote:Я ненавидел русский пиво прежде, чем это было круто ненавидеть русский пиво.

I agree 100% 8)
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

• Anytime I see a hipster drinking that stuff, I just know they're miserable. But hey, appearances come first!!

So you think you can tell Heaven from Hell, blue skies from pain. Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail? A smile from a veil?
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

• Pabst Brewing Co. makes Colt 45, Old Milwaukee and Schlitz. It also makes regional brews such as Lone Star, Rainier and Old Style.

All cheap garbage.
    OrFan
    NET Veteran

• Whatever guys. I don't mind Pabst. That and Coors (not light) are the only cheap beers I drink. That said, usually I'm reaching for a tasty Hef or Porter.
    I hate Tim Ruskell.
    Trrrroy
    NET Veteran

• Trrrroy wrote:Whatever guys. I don't mind Pabst. That and Coors (not light) are the only cheap beers I drink. That said, usually I'm reaching for a tasty Hef or Porter.

Frankly, it's hard to imagine that someone can enjoy a PBR/Coors and...a porter.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• If I'm drinking a cheap beer, it's Coors Light. It tastes like water and that's the best I can hope for with a cheap brew.
    SUPER BOWL 48 CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!!

:les:
    SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

• SonicHawk wrote:If I'm drinking a cheap beer, it's Coors Light. It tastes like water and that's the best I can hope for with a cheap brew.

See, I just don't understand why people even bother when there are so many great beers available.

Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Largent80 wrote:
    SonicHawk wrote:If I'm drinking a cheap beer, it's Coors Light. It tastes like water and that's the best I can hope for with a cheap brew.

See, I just don't understand why people even bother when there are so many great beers available.

Sometimes I don't want to taste beer, I just want to get to the whole being buzzed drinking a cold beverage part. Not every drink has to be some palette delight.

SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

• SonicHawk wrote:
    Largent80 wrote:
    SonicHawk wrote:If I'm drinking a cheap beer, it's Coors Light. It tastes like water and that's the best I can hope for with a cheap brew.

Sometimes I don't want to taste beer, I just want to get to the whole being buzzed drinking a cold beverage part. Not every drink has to be some palette delight.

The man has a point!
    So you think you can tell Heaven from Hell, blue skies from pain. Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail? A smile from a veil?
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

• twisted_steel2 wrote:
    SonicHawk wrote:
    Largent80 wrote:

The man has a point!

XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

• Oh, listen to all the anti-hipster versions of hipsters! I drink the best beer! If you like cheap, yellow beer, you're some sort of rube with bad taste buds! You also listen to the incorrect music.

True alcoholics can't drink fancy beer all the time. Partially due to cost, and partially because "full flavor" beer can cause wicked gastrointestinal difficulties when consumed heavily.

Do what I do. Grab a six pack of something "good," or something you haven't tried before, and another 6 of cheap, easy-drinking tall boys. Start with the fancy ones, and move into cheapsville afterward. :1:

All that aside, I'm pretty sure anyone who would pass on a cold coors/rainier/pbr is probably no one I'd want to drink with anyway. Go eat some kale.

Oh:
    RDWHAHB...

Edit: I forgot my main point. I wonder if this means Pabst Imperial Stout? Sign me up!
    minormillikin
    NET Veteran

• XxXdragonXxX wrote:

Seeing Jim when he comes to Tulalip in Dec.

SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

• I'll drink Steel Reserve if I have to. It's not good, but at 8.1%, a tall boy will get me halfway to trashed.

Yes I'm a lightweight.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

• minormillikin wrote:Do what I do. Grab a six pack of something "good," or something you haven't tried before, and another 6 of cheap, easy-drinking tall boys. Start with the fancy ones, and move into cheapsville afterward. :1:

That's fine, I do the same thing with wine. You appreciate the good stuff, is the point. Unless you sometimes start out with the cheap stuff, in which case, I take it all back and you're a terrible person. ;)
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• I would just rather not drink at all than drink some mass produced beer from one of the big brewers. If I had to drink and all there was in the fridge was PBR I would go to the store and get something else.

Not all good beer is "fancy" either, nor is it necessarily much more expensive than the crappy stuff. A lot of that stuff is overpriced.

Of course, once I'm drunk all bets are off and I'll drink just about anything you put in front of me.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

• Zebulon Dak wrote:I would just rather not drink at all than drink some mass produced beer from one of the big brewers. If I had to drink and all there was in the fridge was PBR I would go to the store and get something else.

Not all good beer is "fancy" either, nor is it necessarily much more expensive than the crappy stuff. A lot of that stuff is overpriced.

Of course, once I'm drunk all bets are off and I'll drink just about anything you put in front of me.

One of my friends owns a home near Beer Authority in Lake City. They have an amazing selection of craft brews (and the owner is a genuinely good dude).

I'm going to be honest. I just don't give a crap anymore. I tried to be a snob, but I just don't care that much. If you can't enjoy a crisp Coors Light on a hot summer day, I don't want to know you.

SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

• SonicHawk wrote:If you can't enjoy a crisp Coors Light on a hot summer day, I don't want to know you.

Better put me on ignore, then. :lol:

In all seriousness, I have no problem with anybody that wants to drink cheap garbage as long as they admit that it's cheap garbage. Trying to say a Coors Light is decent or alright as far as beers go is when I get a little elitist about it. There have been plenty of times where I've looked in the cooler, seen only beers like that, and grabbed a soda instead, electing not to drink. Not in any pissy way or anything - it's just that I literally enjoy an ice-cold Coke more than a cheap beer. Guess I'm not addicted to feeling buzzed, though I certainly enjoy it. *shrug*
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• Lol.

SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

• SonicHawk wrote:
    Largent80 wrote:

Try vodka in juice. It's cheaper.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

• By the way, Sonic, your sense of taste isn't something you use to hold paint with.

*Palate. :)
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• Whether you like the beer or despise it, America loses yet another (once) great institution. It wasn't that long ago that Milwaukee, like Detroit, actually contributed to this country. Now the few remaining inhabitants of those cities are in the baby making business and the Russians, along with the rest of the world, share a toast as our cities of industry surrender to decay. I find it all quite sobering.
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

• I mean, it's a little dramatic.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

• RolandDeschain wrote:By the way, Sonic, your sense of taste isn't something you use to hold paint with.

*Palate. :)

Lol, I said palette. That was bad

SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

• Largent80 wrote:

$4.49 for a 6 pack of tall boys is why. A nice cold cheapo goes down like liquid gold at the right time.
    AbsolutNET
    * NET X's & O's Guru *

• SonicHawk wrote:
    Largent80 wrote:

What?......OMG, you are the delight of every bad tasting drink / food.

Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• AbsolutNET wrote:
    $4.49 for a 6 pack of tall boys.

Are you in Thailand at their basketball camp?

Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Largent80 wrote:
    AbsolutNET wrote:

:204070:
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

• AbsolutNET wrote:
    Largent80 wrote:

$4.49 for a 6 pack of tall boys is why. A nice cold cheapo goes down like liquid gold at the right time.

It goes down like Velveeta cheese? That seems like a major brewing flaw to me.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

• RolandDeschain wrote:
    Trrrroy wrote:Whatever guys. I don't mind Pabst. That and Coors (not light) are the only cheap beers I drink. That said, usually I'm reaching for a tasty Hef or Porter.

Frankly, it's hard to imagine that someone can enjoy a PBR/Coors and...a porter.

Don't judge me. I just like beer. Hell, I wish I liked cheap crap beer better than I do. It'd save me a bundle.
    I hate Tim Ruskell.
    Trrrroy
    NET Veteran

• AbsolutNET wrote:$4.49 for a 6 pack of tall boys is why. A nice cold cheapo goes down like liquid gold at the right time.

If that's the point, just buy a bottle of Night Train, lol.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• Zebulon Dak wrote:
    Largent80 wrote:
    AbsolutNET wrote:

:204070:

L80, drop the mic and walk away.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

• Largent80 wrote:
    AbsolutNET wrote:

LMAO, that's archive-worthy
    AbsolutNET
    * NET X's & O's Guru *

• AbsolutNET wrote:
    Largent80 wrote:
    AbsolutNET wrote:

LMAO, that's archive-worthy

I must admit, I laughed out loud when I thought of that..... :lol:

Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• I'm not sure why anyone drinks that stuff anymore but to each his or her own I guess. I'm a big fan of the Pike Brewing Company. http://www.pikebrewing.com/
    i5roadrunner
    NET Starter

• i5roadrunner wrote:I'm not sure why anyone drinks that stuff anymore but to each his or her own I guess. I'm a big fan of the Pike Brewing Company. http://www.pikebrewing.com/

Their Kilt Lifter lifts my kilt quite well; a tasty beer, and not weak at 6.5%.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:54 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NET LOUNGE ]

Information