Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

FDA warning: Black licorice could land you in the hospital

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • :141847_bnono:

If you end up with a stash of black licorice after Halloween, the Food and Drug Administration is warning you to only eat it in moderation.

It’s possible to overdose on the old-fashioned favorite, the FDA warns on its website.

Don’t get tricked into eating too much black licorice!

If you’re 40 or older, eating just two ounces of black licorice a day for at least two weeks could land you in the hospital with an irregular heart rhythm or arrhythmia, the FDA said.

The reason? According to FDA experts, black licorice contains the compound glycyrrhizin that can cause potassium levels in the body to fall.

When that happens, some people may experience the following symptoms:

Abnormal heart rhythms
    High blood pressure
    Edema (swelling)
    Lethargy
    Congestive heart failure

The FDA says potassium levels are usually restored with no permanent health problems when consumption of black licorice stops.

If you love black licorice, here are three things the FDA wants you to remember:

No matter what your age, don’t eat large amounts of black licorice at one time.
    If you have been eating a lot of black licorice and have an irregular heart rhythm or muscle weakness, stop eating it immediately and contact your doctor.
    Black licorice can interact with some medications, herbs and dietary supplements. Ask your doctor if that applies to any medications you take.

http://jessejones.com/story/fda-warning ... -hospital/
    In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays.
    First Round Inductee To Hall Of Fame 2014
    ESPN #1 Rated Seahawks Player of All Time
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

• luckily I don't like Black licorice, but maybe they should just add some bananas or other high potassium foods to eat when you eat black licorice. I'm no doctor but I'd assume that adding potassium would help stabilize the levels.

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

:les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

• I always thought it tasted like ass.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

• RolandDeschain wrote:I always thought it tasted like ass.

:curious: :escape:
    In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays.
    First Round Inductee To Hall Of Fame 2014
    ESPN #1 Rated Seahawks Player of All Time
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

• Always hated the stuff. Think I have ate it once or twice in my entire life. Bleck.

There are three certainties in life. Death, taxes and the perpetual shuffling of the Seattle Seahawks offensive line.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• Who gives out licorice?

Show me the neighborhood home handing out nickels, dimes, and licorice whips, and I'll show you the home getting TP'd after midnight.
    Feel free to contact me if you need legal assistance. I have a great lawyer that helped me with an ex who violated my privacy and kept harassing me on MySpace and Facebook. He's very good. And there is legal precedent. - linuxpro

He is hold back the legion of boom - skater18000
    SmokinHawk
    NET Veteran

• Luckily no one under the age of 87 likes black licorice.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• I don't anymore but I ate tons of black licorice when I was younger, even in my 40s. I liked it better than red. It's probably a good thing I gave it up when I went low carb in 2003.
    dbmack
    NET Veteran

• RolandDeschain wrote:I always thought it tasted like ass.

And you know what ass tastes like how?? Inquiring minds want to know.
    Mistashoesta
    NET Veteran

• Mistashoesta wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:I always thought it tasted like ass.

Because he's had black licorice before. Try and keep up!!!
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

• Licorice is a candy that comes from a time when it was a good day if you didn’t die of some weird disease. I think that says all you need to know about it.
    "Soon, the super karate monkey death car would park in my space. But Jimmy has fancy plans, and pants to match."

- Excerpt from Jimmy James: Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

• Maulbert wrote:Licorice is a candy that comes from a time when it was a good day if you didn’t die of some weird disease. I think that says all you need to know about it.

When my kids were little and Trick or Treated, I used to call these types of candies "The Great Depression Candies."

Black licorice, necko wafers, bit-o-honeys, tootsie rolls, gross hard candies, smarties, etc. Candies that poor people made and ate that were made out of dust, corn syrup and tears of depression.

Seriously, no need to have these candies in our lives anymore. Not when there's enough Snickers to go around for everyone.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:Licorice is a candy that comes from a time when it was a good day if you didn’t die of some weird disease. I think that says all you need to know about it.

When my kids were little and Trick or Treated, I used to call these types of candies "The Great Depression Candies."

Black licorice, necko wafers, bit-o-honeys, tootsie rolls, gross hard candies, smarties, etc. Candies that poor people made and ate that were made out of dust, corn syrup and tears of depression.

Seriously, no need to have these candies in our lives anymore. Not when there's enough Snickers to go around for everyone.

Hey, there's nothing wrong with Tootsie Rolls and Smarties!
    "Soon, the super karate monkey death car would park in my space. But Jimmy has fancy plans, and pants to match."

Maulbert
    NET Veteran

• Maulbert wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:Licorice is a candy that comes from a time when it was a good day if you didn’t die of some weird disease. I think that says all you need to know about it.

Smarties are the worst. They aren't exactly the worst candy ever, but they are terrible and abundant.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

• Maulbert wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:

What the hell is a Tootsie Roll? It has no definable flavor or consistency. It's just sorta a soft could be chocolate, but not sure blob of nougat.

I get it, we were all young and it was still "candy", so we thought it was amazing cause we were eating sugar.

But other than Halloween, ain't no one going to the store and saying "OH BABE YOU KNOW WHAT I COULD REALLY GO FOR...............A TOOTSIE ROLL!"
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• fenderbender123 wrote:
    Mistashoesta wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:I always thought it tasted like ass.

Because he's had black licorice before. Try and keep up!!!

Winner! :)
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

• Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:

What the hell is a Tootsie Roll? It has no definable flavor or consistency. It's just sorta a soft could be chocolate, but not sure blob of nougat.

I get it, we were all young and it was still "candy", so we thought it was amazing cause we were eating sugar.

But other than Halloween, ain't no one going to the store and saying "OH BABE YOU KNOW WHAT I COULD REALLY GO FOR...............A TOOTSIE ROLL!"

Tootsie Rolls are chocolate salt water taffy. You gonna say taffy sucks now?

Maulbert
    NET Veteran

• Maulbert wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:

Tootsie Rolls are chocolate salt water taffy. You gonna say taffy sucks now?

Salt water taffy > Tootsie Rolls. By a LOT.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• Maulbert wrote:Tootsie Rolls are chocolate salt water taffy. You gonna say taffy sucks now?

uhhh....yeah dude. Taffy sucks.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

• Tastes like shit and smells like an ecstasy lab. Guess I'm safe.
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions 2014.02.02 Seahawks 43 Broncos 8
    Cyrus12
    NET Veteran

• fenderbender123 wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:Tootsie Rolls are chocolate salt water taffy. You gonna say taffy sucks now?

I can get behind this. Never been a fan myself.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

• JGfromtheNW wrote:
    fenderbender123 wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:Tootsie Rolls are chocolate salt water taffy. You gonna say taffy sucks now?

I can get behind this. Never been a fan myself.

If I'm walking down the boardwalk in Seaside or Cannon Beach, yeah for old time nostalgia sake we'll pop into a candy store and get a bag of taffy.

But like I said about Tootsie Rolls, ain't no one going out of their way to eat the crap.

These are all nostalgia candies that people think were awesome when they were kids, so they're going to defend them now........even though it's just corn syrupy crap that would rank 178th on anyone's list of preferred candy.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• It is sooo nasty! Which is why I cannot stand Jaigermeister...
    Seahwkgal
    * NET Hottie *

• I love Jaigermeister, and LOVE black licorice.

I actually just bought 4 bags of black licorice from a specialty licorice store online(yes they have em). Bought some from Australia, New Zealand, Denmark and Finland.

Awesome you guys hate it, leaves more for me. :2thumbs:
    Long you live and high you fly, and smiles you’ll give and tears you’ll cry, and all you touch and all you see Is all your life will ever be
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

It is currently Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:50 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information