Android/samsung/rooting experts: (old) S4 advice

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • I have an old Samsung S4 - SGH-i337 (AT&T) and wondering if I can trouble some of you for some tech advice help.

Yes, I know it's an oldie, but i'm gonna stay with it for a bit longer. It's the right size, has 64gb microSD, decent camera, battery is easily replaceable, and basically still does everything I need it to do. Still looks brand new too thx to the case I use.

Currently running Lollipop Android 5.01
    There's approx 1.98gb of avail space left on the internal of this phone.
    On ATT (w grandfathered unlimited data, minutes, and msging)

(http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/phones ... 337zkaatt/)

Some questions:

Is it possible to easily root the SGH-i337 ? If so, how easy and can you guide me ?
    I simply would like to remove the ATT bloatware (I have them all disabled, but prefer removing them if I can).

- Do I need to root the phone in order to remove any bloatware? (I'm assuming yes)

- Will there be any issues with the phone in removing them (if I can)?

- Any other routes to accomplishing this or similar? Will a complete wipe and reset resolve some internal space?

Thanks
    hawkfan1975
    NET Veteran

• Rooting will allow you to remove any and all AT&T bloatware or you could go one step further with your rooted phone and put on a custom ROM.

XDA Forums is the place to start. Read this a few times and if it's too hard to do then join the forum and ask for step-by-step help. I've used this site for years and there's a wealth of knowledge for all kinds of stuff.

They'll instruction on all the software you'll need and often you'll see someone made a video so you can pause and play to make sure you're doing it right.
    "Go for Broke" - 442nd Japanese-American Battalion

Shaun Alexander #37 for the HoF - 119 Games 2176 Att 9429 Yards 4.3 YPC 100 TDs (112 TDs total) 2005 MVP

"YOU POST...TO WIN...thethread." JesterHawk
    sammyc521
    NET Veteran

• Thank you. I was at that site when doing searches, but so far nothing (verified working that is) for the SGH-i337 S4 model (AT&T).

Still hunting
    hawkfan1975
    NET Veteran

• Thanks for any and all advice. My build # is LRX22c. i337UCUGOK2

...but I haven't read a lot of "success" replies on XDA in regard to ATT S4 rooting, so I think I may still be SOL.
    hawkfan1975
    NET Veteran

• Ask if it'll work on your specific build in the second thread I linked.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• Will do! thanks
    hawkfan1975
    NET Veteran

• Also...need to ask/know. Are there certain apps I shouldn't uninstall (if the rooting works that is)?
    hawkfan1975
    NET Veteran

• I wouldn't worry about the apps because those are not dependent on the OS to run.

Is there one in-mind?
    "Go for Broke" - 442nd Japanese-American Battalion

Shaun Alexander #37 for the HoF - 119 Games 2176 Att 9429 Yards 4.3 YPC 100 TDs (112 TDs total) 2005 MVP

"YOU POST...TO WIN...thethread." JesterHawk
    sammyc521
    NET Veteran

• If you root, there are apps that will let you uninstall all kinds of system apps that you should not remove. If in question, Google what it is. The vast majority of apps you see in the app drawer are safe to remove, though.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

It is currently Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:43 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information