Walking Dead, season 5.

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! RATING: PG-13
Walking Dead, season 5.
Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:21 pm
  • New season starts tonight. Lots of bloodshed already.
    You are absolutely entitled to state your opinion whenever you wish, and I am absolutely entitled to point out the stupidity of that opinion with the same frequency.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Re: Walking Dead, season 5.
Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:00 pm
  • I'm going to watch. And I hate myself for it already. Hoping it sucks so I can ditch the show.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:22 pm
  • It was horrible. Make that 4 miserable hours in front of the tube today. :(
    Meat
    NET Bench Warmer

Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:25 pm
  • Meat wrote:It was horrible. Make that 4 miserable hours in front of the tube today. :(

It was awesome.
    You are absolutely entitled to state your opinion whenever you wish, and I am absolutely entitled to point out the stupidity of that opinion with the same frequency.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:22 pm
  • SeatownJay wrote:
    Meat wrote:It was horrible. Make that 4 miserable hours in front of the tube today. :(

It was awesome.

Yeah, not sure what was horrible about it. Overall I enjoyed it, lots of action and everything moved smoothly. Things will work out conveniently to push the plot forward but it's something you need to accept in a show like this. The opening scene was pretty badass, felt like something HBO would do. Carl barely talked at all which was a plus.

*Spoiler stuff*

I like how they pushed through the Terminus location in one episode. I'm sure they'll keep doing backstories about Gareth and the people there throughout the season like they did tonight, but we won't be stuck there in real time with no progression like the prison.

Super pumped about the quick shot of Morgan only a few steps behind them. I think he's one of the better actors on the show.

Looks like Father Gabriel will be introduced next episode. Hoping they get there quickly and half the episode isn't casually walking through the woods with an occasional zombie kill.
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:00 pm
  • Surprisingly good episode. After the hot dry fart of last season it still has to earn my trust, but it's an encouraging sign.

Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:45 pm
  • I thought it was really good! I hope they keep up the pace, because I too was almost ready to erase it off my DVR queue after last season's "Endlessly walking down the train tracks, headin' to Terminus, kill a few zombies, keep walking" snore-fest. Just what got accomplished in tonight's episode alone would have taken half a season at the prior pace.

It was especially brutal tonight, though, and that's saying something considering it's TWD. Between the slaughter trough and the baby...yeesh. I couldn't wait to see those Termites meet horrible ends.
    SnoCoHawk
    NET Bench Warmer

Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:31 am
  • One thing that drives me BONKERS is the hack reach for emotion via endangerment of children. I've avoided film and literature which included less than the threat of a snapping a child's neck. I hate, hate, HATE any reference to that. The show's now on two strikes with me.

One question; did anyone else think the dude who through the Terminus folks in the storage container in flashback, look ALOT like Neegan? Neegan being one of the best villains I've ever written, period, in any medium?
    @ryanadamdavis
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:11 pm
  • pehawk wrote:One thing that drives me BONKERS is the hack reach for emotion via endangerment of children. I've avoided film and literature which included less than the threat of a snapping a child's neck. I hate, hate, HATE any reference to that. The show's now on two strikes with me.

One question; did anyone else think the dude who through the Terminus folks in the storage container in flashback, look ALOT like Neegan? Neegan being one of the best villains I've ever written, period, in any medium?

The producers have confirmed unequivocally that it was not Neegan. I'm pretty sure it was the crazy tattoo-face guy that they let out of the container during the escape.

I agree with you about the baby thing - such a cheap shortcut. For me it's animals, too. I remember had to stop watching Hemlock Grove because they seemed to go out of their way to have animal suffering of some kind on every show. Come to think of it they worked the baby angle, too. "You know you're not a great writer when..."

My "hmmm" thing today is - how many people lived at Terminus? Did they have some way of preserving meat? I just can't think of a reason why they would need to slaughter 8 adult males all at once (with a 9th freshie on the table) for food. Maybe they were just getting rid of them.
    SnoCoHawk
    NET Bench Warmer

Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:54 pm
  • There is a telling lack of responses to this thread, but let me just note that:

(SPOILER)

The cannibals storyline was contrived to begin with, but even then, they could have done something interesting with Terminus instead of just eliminating Gareth in the first first episodes. This show is such a complete waste of time.

Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:18 pm
  • No cable currently so I can't follow this season. The small spoilers ARE appreciated though.:)
    43-8...it's all about that action boss....
    next man up.
    MizzouHawkGal
    NET Veteran

Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:19 pm
  • I think the mini-arc is a fresh of breath air, as Lynch would say. Beats the crap out of muddling around a farm or prison all season long. Terminus only existed to illustrate one point...while trust may be the group's biggest weakness, it is also its biggest strength. Rick's group are true survivors as their will and fortitude have been sharpened by iron, whereas the ill-motivated like Philip and Gareth were only alive due to their abilities to lie and deceive until someone finally saw through their bullshit. They messed with the wrong people.
    253hawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:50 am
  • They already did that storyline. It was season 3. And they didn't do anything new then, either.

Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:53 am
  • I swear, some people just over analyze. We enjoy the heck out of this show and this season has been awesome so far. I am so glad I am not an analyzing fool who can't let go and just go with it. lol.

Re: Hemlock Grove. I wasted a whole weekend watching that on Netflix. I wish I could get it back. Not a good show at all.
    Seahwkgal
    * NET Hottie *

Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:45 pm
  • The irony and hypocrisy of implying I am a fool while admitting you have to turn off your brain to enjoy Walking Dead is astounding.

Anyway I am done with the show. If you want to indulge in stale, dead end plot lines, be my guest.
    Last edited by Sarlacc83 on Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:50 pm
  • MizzouHawkGal wrote:No cable currently so I can't follow this season. The small spoilers ARE appreciated though.:)

Mizzou no bit torrent?
    "Pete Carroll brings in great elves...and they make the best presents."
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOT a Moderator

Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:07 pm
  • Sarlacc83 wrote:There is a telling lack of responses to this thread, but let me just note that:

(SPOILER)

The cannibals storyline was contrived to begin with, but even then, they could have done something interesting with Terminus instead of just eliminating Gareth in the first first episodes. This show is such a complete waste of time.

I thought how they handled Gareth's 'plan' was awful writing. Bringing Bob back alive makes no sense since he most likely can tell them how many there are and where they are, then paint a giant A on the building and leave just to come back again when they actually expect them. Why tip their hand? Because that doesn't give Rick vengeance or a sad and unnecessary goodbye to Bob. It would have been much better written if they had just killed Bob after finding out he was infected (dump his body at the church if you want), attacked without warning (since they knew where they were) and been killed off in a firefight, ending the Terminus story line while making Gareth have some common sense. You can keep main characters alive in danger without making the enemies complete morons. The show continues to use idiocy as a plot device. I'm glad the plot is actually moving forward at least, although it again makes no sense for Abraham to ABSOLUTELY need to leave at that moment. My guess is Glenn or Maggie die wherever their bus is heading since their love story hasn't been interesting since season 2. Or they could drag it out til season 11.

My hope is we find out more about the people who came through Terminus and locked Gareth up, ultimately leading to a meeting with whoever they are. If the crazy tattooed guy who came out of the train car in the premiere before being eaten was the head guy as indicated from the flash back, I will be very disappointed. Having the presence of people much worse than Gareth in the area who we haven't met yet but see do terrible things to the Terminus people would add an interesting wrinkle. If it was me I think I would have it be Negan but wouldn't really introduce him as Negan in real time until the end of the season.

My favorite part of season 5 though is Carl having maybe 3 lines so far. Have him protect Judith silently and he gets my emmy vote.
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:05 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NET LOUNGE ]

Information