Veterans...How do you feel about the 4th?

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! RATING: PG-13
Veterans...How do you feel about the 4th?
Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:48 pm
  • I spent tonight with friends and family having a good time enjoying the festivities. But man oh man the explosions these days on the 4th in neighborhoods around the country are crazy. Mortars that sound like bombs. REAL bombs. Not little firecrackers. When I was a kid, those bombs were very few and far between. Now it seems like they are every other second.

My dog goes nuts every 4th. Just crazy with the sounds. I could not help but think of our veterans who have seen action in real wars, coming home (thankfully) only to hear what I believe would be sounds that can't be welcomed. Only reminders of things us civilians can't even imagine.

So question for you veterans that have seen action. How do you cope with the celebrations of the 4th?

"The Seahawks showed today that they regarded me highly and I appreciate that, and I will continue to show how much I regard Paul Allen and the Seattle Seahawks with my play." - Richard Sherman
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• Ive never seen action (I was a computer guy when in the Army), I have known a few service members who talk about how they get flashbacks on the 4th (and here in Utah on the 24th). A few of them including my father (Vietnam) have mentioned how they cant watch some of the war movies now days because they are so real, they mention Lone Survivor as an example and of course Saving Private Ryan, and few also cant play games like Batle Field 3-4 because the sounds are so real they say.

The 4th here in Utah ahs become crazy the last few years, they passed a law allowing aerial fireworks a few years ago, I was driving home from a meeting last night about 9:45 and I could see the whole valley and it was like a big fireworks show (I was on the east side of 215 for those from here), It was crazy how many random bursts there were, there wasnt a time when I didnt see at least 4 in the sky at once it was crazy.

With that being said, I was in Valencia Spain 4 years ago for what they call Fallas and let me tell you, the sounds at night, I thought I was ina war zone! I mean banging loud noises it shook my apartment!
    AshamanMat
    NET Starter

• Try the Pililaau Army Recreation Center in Waianae on New Years. Constant din. Can't hear yourself think. Bad neighborhood, too. Don't go out at night unless you're a badass.
    NorCalHawk12
    NET Veteran

• I like fireworks.
    "Pete Carroll brings in great elves...and they make the best presents."
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOT a Moderator

• I stay home away from the fireworks. My wife noticed a couple years ago that I became irritable and somewhat irrational (and she's a woman, haha) Since then we watch it all on TV.
    90% Disabled Veteran
    100% Love for the USA!
    KPA
    NET Rookie

• I saw this sign recently...Thought it was pretty cool.

"The Seahawks showed today that they regarded me highly and I appreciate that, and I will continue to show how much I regard Paul Allen and the Seattle Seahawks with my play." - Richard Sherman
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• I served in Vietnam and was lucky to come home alive. I hate that we were even there and I lost a lot of friends. The 4th means nothing to me, except I get a paid day off. Spent the day with 12's on a bike ride at Venice Beach.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Rob I didn't know you were a Vietnam Vet? Hat's off brother.

Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• Yeah, imagine this, just graduated from high school on a Friday, and on the following Monday they held the draft lottery with I believe the first 130 birthdays drawn were inducted.

I was #11..!!!!!!.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• The first part of my career was with a tight knit group of people. My predecessors did go to Viet Nam and did do work over there in the GDB realm. Ground directed bombing. Google/Bing/Yahoo.... CEVG and LInebacker one and two. LS-85 was with our people too. I talk to a few here and there that could care less as they have learned to think of it as another day. They have larger issues to deal with at this time. I talked to others that still have issues. Sometimes the issues just never go away. Memories are a strange thing in that some stay with you all your life and others fade a bit until some fool brings them back up. Not trying to dispel the intent of the OP. I talked to some of my younger friends that went to Iraq and they were laughing or in a jovial mood while speaking about their situations there...but I could see it in their eyes. They became officers. The second part of my career I could have been with those officers. I was needed elsewhere tho training to support our people. I have been in bad situations, but feel my mistakes put me in some of them so brush them off. My training tho helped too. Fireworks are loud and I dont like loud things as much anymore as my ears are delicate. That being said, I am wearing earplugs to the Charger game and yell like the rest of us psycho fanatics. I think there is a secondary ear that blocks out some noises too. I can pop it once in a while. The one thing about the 4th that I would like to say is that it is the people that started this nation that make me proud that my distant relatives moved to this place. One part in 1800s and one in the 1900s. Hope this weekend was good for you folks. Peace.
    Cats will rule the world...just ask my cat.
    Gollum had a ring...Bilbo took it...Frodo had it...Gollum got it back.
    Gollum never had OUR ring.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

• I have a good friend that served 22 years in the Coast Guard. 2 tours in Vietnam running boats in the Delta. Mostly inserting A teams and then coming back for them all in a heavily armed mostly plywood craft with 3 50s on board.

Has met Richard Marcinko and Jesse Ventura and says Marcinko is the toughest man he ever met. Funny, I think this guy is the toughest guy I ever met. I did time in the Coast Guard but nothing like that. This guy has to be pretty drunk to even discuss it now a days and has little use for the 4th tho he has been known to fire off a couple of the weapons he brought home with him.

He's now and advid hunter and has a great collection of rifles he would never consider wasting them on random firings.

:les:
    So close to the real thing.
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

• Largent80 wrote:Yeah, imagine this, just graduated from high school on a Friday, and on the following Monday they held the draft lottery with I believe the first 130 birthdays drawn were inducted.

I was #11..!!!!!!.

I remember that night well. Guy who was just married but had been in my frat walked in, said, my number in the great lottery is 13, and I am buying the beer for everyone with a lower number cuz my wife is pissed as hell. 7 of us got pretty damn drunk for free that night.
    seedhawk
    NET Veteran

• seedhawk wrote:
    Largent80 wrote:Yeah, imagine this, just graduated from high school on a Friday, and on the following Monday they held the draft lottery with I believe the first 130 birthdays drawn were inducted.

I was #11..!!!!!!.

I remember that night well. Guy who was just married but had been in my frat walked in, said, my number in the great lottery is 13, and I am buying the beer for everyone with a lower number cuz my wife is pissed as hell. 7 of us got pretty damn drunk for free that night.

You know what man?...We had all dropped acid like 2 hours before and when I found out, I almost lost it.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Best thing about that besides the free beer was, I said screw it and enlisted in the Air Force. They taught me more about electronics than I thought possible. Need the Tacan beacon at your airport calibrated, I can do it. Taught me to run the "console". I would up calibrating all the test equip everyone else used to keep birds in the air. Pretty damn cool for a farm boy from sticksville Wash.
    seedhawk
    NET Veteran

It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:17 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NET LOUNGE ]

Information