Anyone ever sold "collectors" alcohol privately?

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • I have an unopened bottle of Hendrix Experience vodka I bought after the lawsuit prohibited the brand from continue to produce the vodka. It's work a chunk of change now and I have plenty of expenses to pay now since I decided to be an adult and have a family. Any advice on how to go about doing this?
    AbsolutNET
    * NET X's & O's Guru *

• AbsolutNET wrote:I have an unopened bottle of Hendrix Experience vodka I bought after the lawsuit prohibited the brand from continue to produce the vodka. It's work a chunk of change now and I have plenty of expenses to pay now since I decided to be an adult and have a family. Any advice on how to go about doing this?

Get rid of the family?
    Annual Adopt a Rookie: Vannett
    OkieHawk
    * NET Moderator *

• Dude you have went downhill fast. DRINK IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    #BlackSabbathMatters
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• How much is a "chunk of change"?

Is it good, or simply rare?
    ITS A GREAT TIME TO BE A SEAHAWK FAN !
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

• Never sold, but I've traded well over a 1000 dollars in beer to other people around the country. Couldn't tell you what site to use for auctioning, but I can tell you that if you sell, there are a couple things you'll do if you can't hand it over in person (unlikely):

1) Insurance on your purchase. With the following tips, you won't need it, but it's good to have if the item is that pricey.

2) Your bottle will get bruised and beaten in transit if you don't package it to withstand a bomb blast. I've always used styrofoam wine shippers, and I've never had problems with breakage before.

3) Make sure to pack the bottle tight so the liquid doesn't slosh around and tip off the driver/handler to the contents.

4) If you're shipping liquid, include beads or rice at the bottom of the package as noisemakers. You don't want to hear sloshing, but there's no sense taking chances.

5) DO NOT declare what you have. If they ask, you're shipping soda or barbecue sauce, and you've encased it in styrofoam. They ask this question mostly to offer to pack for you , but liquor shipping is against policy for FedEx/UPS (and technically illegal through USPS). So don't let anyone in on it.

6) Cash in hand first. The last thing you want to do is get ripped off, because if you're using a reputable online auctioneer, they should take the money back from you if you don't ship.

7) Know the site's policies on claims and mediation. You don't want someone claiming they never received the package from you - when they did - and then getting their money back to boot. This is probably the most important selling step, in my opinion.

Good luck.
    Super Bowl Champions XLVIII

RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

• I bought several bottles of this vodka before the big snafu. It's decent, but the bottle is cool.
    #BlackSabbathMatters
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Sarlacc83 wrote:Never sold, but I've traded well over a 1000 dollars in beer to other people around the country. Couldn't tell you what site to use for auctioning, but I can tell you that if you sell, there are a couple things you'll do if you can't hand it over in person (unlikely):

1) Insurance on your purchase. With the following tips, you won't need it, but it's good to have if the item is that pricey.

2) Your bottle will get bruised and beaten in transit if you don't package it to withstand a bomb blast. I've always used styrofoam wine shippers, and I've never had problems with breakage before.

3) Make sure to pack the bottle tight so the liquid doesn't slosh around and tip off the driver/handler to the contents.

4) If you're shipping liquid, include beads or rice at the bottom of the package as noisemakers. You don't want to hear sloshing, but there's no sense taking chances.

5) DO NOT declare what you have. If they ask, you're shipping soda or barbecue sauce, and you've encased it in styrofoam. They ask this question mostly to offer to pack for you , but liquor shipping is against policy for FedEx/UPS (and technically illegal through USPS). So don't let anyone in on it.

6) Cash in hand first. The last thing you want to do is get ripped off, because if you're using a reputable online auctioneer, they should take the money back from you if you don't ship.

7) Know the site's policies on claims and mediation. You don't want someone claiming they never received the package from you - when they did - and then getting their money back to boot. This is probably the most important selling step, in my opinion.

Good luck.

Great info, Mighty Sarlacc! Thanks for sharing.

Question:
    I noticed you didn't mention protecting yourself against an "I didn't receive it" scenario by sending with a signature-required and delivery confirmation. It costs a bit more, but I have always done this when sending the various Hawks-related items and collector die-cast models I have sold on eBay. Have you found this step to not be effective for you?
    "...Seattle has become the capital city of the New NFL" - Kip Earlywine
    :les: Remembering "The Radish"...
    HoustonHawk82
    * NET Lead Admin *

• HoustonHawk82 wrote:
    Sarlacc83 wrote:Never sold, but I've traded well over a 1000 dollars in beer to other people around the country. Couldn't tell you what site to use for auctioning, but I can tell you that if you sell, there are a couple things you'll do if you can't hand it over in person (unlikely):

Good luck.

Great info, Mighty Sarlacc! Thanks for sharing.

Question:
    I noticed you didn't mention protecting yourself against an "I didn't receive it" scenario by sending with a signature-required and delivery confirmation. It costs a bit more, but I have always done this when sending the various Hawks-related items and collector die-cast models I have sold on eBay. Have you found this step to not be effective for you?

I haven't had that issue but if you're dealing with an unknown party, I would make that part of the deal. It's a good check on something I missed. (I've always had references to check which is probably why it slipped my mind.)
    Super Bowl Champions XLVIII

RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

• You could always check the tracking number if you requested that option. If it is delivered, they should say so on a site. I have had stuff delivered to a different address tho, so siggy would be a better option.
    Cats will rule the world...just ask my cat.
    RLKats..."Scott M. Made the niners good helped build the Hawks a bit (current GM is a bad ass). Quote me." So I did.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

• I am embarrassed to admit I bought more than a few fifths and mini bottles of this stuff with the hopes to keep it as an investment. Well, since it was during my Vodka Days, none of them lasted very long. :oops:

:vodka:

Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

It is currently Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:42 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information