AC/DC's Brian Johnson advised NOT to tour

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! RATING: PG-13

• Joel O'Keefe would be a nice replacement.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Largent80 wrote:Joel O'Keefe would be a nice replacement.

Perry Caravello is the only plausible replacement.
    There was this monkey, right?
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

• Lady GaGa could pull it off.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Largent80 wrote:Lady GaGa could pull it off.

She looks the most like Brian, I agree.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

• And has more meat.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Reanimate Bon Scott!

Some high quality liquors and high voltage outta do the trick!
    SeAhAwKeR4life
    NET Veteran

• Time to pass the torch to a new arena rock band for the mulletheads to crank up in their mid 70s Camaro.
    Feel free to contact me if you need legal assistance. I have a great lawyer that helped me with an ex who violated my privacy and kept harassing me on MySpace and Facebook. He's very good. And there is legal precedent. - linuxpro

He is hold back the legion of boom - skater18000
    SmokinHawk
    NET Veteran

• I SALUTE AC/DC for keeping the rock going for so MANY years. Nobody is putting out anything these days that is melodic and rocks hard.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Largent80 wrote:I SALUTE AC/DC for keeping the rock going for so MANY years. Nobody is putting out anything these days that is melodic and rocks hard.

Anthrax says hello.
    Annual Adopt a Rookie: Vannett
    OkieHawk
    NET Veteran

• OkieHawk wrote:
    Largent80 wrote:I SALUTE AC/DC for keeping the rock going for so MANY years. Nobody is putting out anything these days that is melodic and rocks hard.

Anthrax says hello.

Whatever , can't get into their music.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Largent80 wrote:
    OkieHawk wrote:
    Largent80 wrote:I SALUTE AC/DC for keeping the rock going for so MANY years. Nobody is putting out anything these days that is melodic and rocks hard.

Anthrax says hello.

Whatever , can't get into their music.

Old fart. ;)
    OkieHawk
    NET Veteran

• Very few Singer Songwriter bands anymore, album oriented, less that are Rock Oriented, everything promoted as Pop, those that are around are Classic bands and as I see the news we seem to be losing someone weekly now.

Yes showing my age but I really think guys like Largent and myself and of that age group seen the Golden age of modern music from the 50's to the 80's, yes the Glam Rock years were there but they had a place and the Music may not have been technically superior but damn it was a fun show and time when you watched them.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• chris98251 wrote:Very few Singer Songwriter bands anymore, album oriented, less that are Rock Oriented, everything promoted as Pop, those that are around are Classic bands and as I see the news we seem to be losing someone weekly now.

Yes showing my age but I really think guys like Largent and myself and of that age group seen the Golden age of modern music from the 50's to the 80's, yes the Glam Rock years were there but they had a place and the Music may not have been technically superior but damn it was a fun show and time when you watched them.

I'll just agree to disagree as there are a lot of great bands still doing awesome shows. Hell, Maiden's new album is pretty good as was the last 2 Anthrax ones were a lot more mellow than their previous ones with Joey.
    OkieHawk
    NET Veteran

• OkieHawk wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:Very few Singer Songwriter bands anymore, album oriented, less that are Rock Oriented, everything promoted as Pop, those that are around are Classic bands and as I see the news we seem to be losing someone weekly now.

I'll just agree to disagree as there are a lot of great bands still doing awesome shows. Hell, Maiden's new album is pretty good as was the last 2 Anthrax ones were a lot more mellow than their previous ones with Joey.

How young is Maiden now, there are a few as I said, bands that had exceptional live shows and great music. I consider Maiden a classic band in 2016.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• chris98251 wrote:
    OkieHawk wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:Very few Singer Songwriter bands anymore, album oriented, less that are Rock Oriented, everything promoted as Pop, those that are around are Classic bands and as I see the news we seem to be losing someone weekly now.

How young is Maiden now, there are a few as I said, bands that had exceptional live shows and great music. I consider Maiden a classic band in 2016.

A lot of the other bands I'd name for live shows you wouldn't give a fair chance to. ;)
    OkieHawk
    NET Veteran

• OkieHawk wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:
    OkieHawk wrote:

A lot of the other bands I'd name for live shows you wouldn't give a fair chance to. ;)

Probably true, personal taste is subjective, but I am not trying to dissect that aspect, just the lack of bands compared to even 10 years ago, in all tastes and aspects.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• chris98251 wrote:
    Probably true, personal taste is subjective, but I am not trying to dissect that aspect, just the lack of bands compared to even 10 years ago, in all tastes and aspects.

I find that there are a metric shit ton of bands out there, even good quality ones. I use Google music all access and find out about some bands whilst listening to a bands "radio" station. Much like Pandora but better.
    OkieHawk
    NET Veteran

• Brian seems like a cool cat, but his voice has always been atrocious, the best way I found to mimic him is to scream/sing through clenched teeth. I hope he does the right thing for himself and just pulls the plug on the band, I doubt he needs the money.
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

• OkieHawk wrote:

Anthrax says hello.

LOL, I remember seeing Anthrax playing at Bangor Leisure Center in Northern Ireland. Shitty washed-up mess of a band. Awful music. Just awful. Not surprised you're a fan :thirishdrinkers:
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

• peachesenregalia wrote:
    OkieHawk wrote:

Anthrax says hello.

LOL, I remember seeing Anthrax playing at Bangor Leisure Center in Northern Ireland. Shitty washed-up mess of a band. Awful music. Just awful. Not surprised you're a fan :thirishdrinkers:

Just like I'm not surprised you aren't. :thirishdrinkers:

Curious though, what year was that?
    OkieHawk
    NET Veteran

• m0ng0 wrote:I loved the John Bush era......the rest kinda sucked to my ears.

I really didn't like that era. I've always been a fan of Joey.
    OkieHawk
    NET Veteran

• OkieHawk wrote:
    peachesenregalia wrote:
    OkieHawk wrote:

Anthrax says hello.

Just like I'm not surprised you aren't. :thirishdrinkers:

Curious though, what year was that?

Some time in the early-ish 90's. I was young, my older cousin took me. He was a fan and agreed they were shit.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Some time in the early-ish 90's. I was young, my older cousin took me. He was a fan and agreed they were shit.

That sucks.

My first concert was Anthrax/Public Enemy with Primus opening up for them, this was in '91. They all put on a great show IMO that night.
    OkieHawk
    NET Veteran

• OkieHawk wrote:
    peachesenregalia wrote:

That sucks.

My first concert was Anthrax/Public Enemy with Primus opening up for them, this was in '91. They all put on a great show IMO that night.

Primus obviously the best thing about that show. I recently (January) went to see Tool and Primus. Primus opened up and were just incredible. Tool came on and were good, but nothing close to Primus. My buddy who came along to see Tool even admitted he enjoyed Primus so much more, and bought a Primus beanie for 40 goddamn dollars. Such a great band.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

• Okies favorite is SteelPanther.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Was headed to the Atlanta show this week when the news broke. Shame really. They put on one helluva live show.
    HOLLYWOOD
    NET Veteran

• Glad I got the chance to see them as they were on my bucket list of bands I "should" see. That was Nov. of '08 at the Tacoma Dome. Would've of course preferred to see them with Bon, but hey you go when the opportunity arises.

Will be interesting to see who the 'guest vocalist' is.
    ImageImage

Proud member of the 38 Club

Proud member of the .Net Old Farts Society
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

• Largent80 wrote:Okies favorite is SteelPanther.

Not my favorite, but they are fun and I am a fan.
    OkieHawk
    NET Veteran

Primus obviously the best thing about that show. I recently (January) went to see Tool and Primus. Primus opened up and were just incredible. Tool came on and were good, but nothing close to Primus. My buddy who came along to see Tool even admitted he enjoyed Primus so much more, and bought a Primus beanie for 40 goddamn dollars. Such a great band.

I wanted to go to that show but couldn't get a ticket. I've seen Primus a few times and they never disappoint.
    OkieHawk
    NET Veteran

• You guys ever see Hells Belles?

We've seen them twice now, put on a great show. They travel all up and down the west coast, if you're a fan of AC/DC I highly recommend checking them out. The guitar player's a maniac.........and can shred.

If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    * NET Moderator *

• OkieHawk wrote:
    peachesenregalia wrote:

I wanted to go to that show but couldn't get a ticket. I've seen Primus a few times and they never disappoint.

Saw Primus as part of Ozzfest in like 2000 or 2001, I was very entertained.
    ImageImage

hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

• I can't sing Brian Johnson tunes...I try and I sound like a muppet getting raped.

IGNORE THE NOISE!
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• High tenor stuff. Not many of us geezers have that range to begin with.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• I can hit some high notes, but then there's Brian Johnson notes. No thank you.

When my cover band does TNT, I do a low range version in the verse which actually sounds pretty good, and then I hit the higher notes in the second verse and choruses to the end...Works well, but it's the only ACDC tune I can get away with doing that.

I really would like to do Shoot To Thrill because my bassist LOVES that tune but I just can't pull it off. My vocal style is so different than his.

IGNORE THE NOISE!
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• Aros: then I guess it's safe to assume Rush / Geddy circa Fly By Night, Hemispheres, etc. wouldn't work for you either. LOL
    ImageImage

hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

• Aros wrote:I can hit some high notes, but then there's Brian Johnson notes. No thank you.

When my cover band does TNT, I do a low range version in the verse which actually sounds pretty good, and then I hit the higher notes in the second verse and choruses to the end...Works well, but it's the only ACDC tune I can get away with doing that.

I really would like to do Shoot To Thrill because my bassist LOVES that tune but I just can't pull it off. My vocal style is so different than his.

You have to have a mastery of your falsetto, which (unfortunately) fades with age, regardless how you take care of your throat. I laugh at the controlled-screamer metal-band dudes that are all good now, but have no clue they will sound like the gay guy from Independence Day by the time they are 30.

I used to be able to sing barbershop tenor when I was 25, and with a lot less breath. I had the control to sing very quietly too. Past 40, I have had to use too much air and volume to hit those notes, almost screaming-level volume, and its not worth it. Just too much scar tissue to pull the vocal cords that tight any more.

At 52, I can still sing extremely familiar stuff without screaming, but it takes a lot of warmup, and I gotta pull octaves once in a while too. I'm so out of practice and have forgotten so many lyrics now, I just can't sound any good any more unless I sing crooner tunes.

I used to go the really well-set-up kareoke bars when I travelled for work about ten years ago. That was fun. You know, the rare bars that the good singers would frequent. They had DJ's that showman-up the thing. They have the stage lights, monitor speakers and good equipment, and really know how to mix the sound. Some did stuff like replay a mix of your voice singing the tune (in reprise) as you high-fived your way back to your beer. They still exist, but you gotta investigate and do your homework to find those quality setups.

Trying to hook up with a band to sing my kinda songs with is too difficult to find, as they already have chick singers singing dude music, and they have boobs and I don't. I can still do Bryan Adams-level stuff, but the Def Leppard and AC/DC-level stuff, no way. There is still a lot of great music to sing in the lower ranges though, thankfully. Like Bad Co, Pearl Jam, etc. So all is not lost. If you love to sing, you find a way to do it.

AC/DC will end up finding another singer because they have to play gigs to make the house payments and the grandkids tuition. It'll be just like Journey, Quiet Riot, Alice n Chains, (yada yads yada...) have all had to do. I think that chick singer would be fun, would put a whole new shine on "Have a Drink On Me".
    "...Seattle has become the capital city of the New NFL" - Kip Earlywine
    :les: Remembering "The Radish"...
    HoustonHawk82
    * NET Lead Admin *

• Better play it safe than sorry!
    Memorial Day 2016!
    Passepartout
    NET Rookie

• hawksfansinceday1 wrote:Aros: then I guess it's safe to assume Rush / Geddy circa Fly By Night, Hemispheres, etc. wouldn't work for you either. LOL

You know, it's funny you say that. I can sing a mean Limelight, and in fact a lot of Geddy Lee which is surprising somewhat given his high tenor, but I also have a clean tenor...I don't know how to process gravely screetching high notes.

Yet I can sing certain Queensryche songs and Rush songs and many other songs with high notes. It's an oddity I admit. I can nail certain high note tunes, and yet struggle with others.

IGNORE THE NOISE!
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• HoustonHawk82 wrote:You have to have a mastery of your falsetto, which (unfortunately) fades with age, regardless how you take care of your throat. I laugh at the controlled-screamer metal-band dudes that are all good now, but have no clue they will sound like the gay guy from Independence Day by the time they are 30.

Oh my God. Hilarious.

HoustonHawk82 wrote:I used to be able to sing barbershop tenor when I was 25, and with a lot less breath. I had the control to sing very quietly too. Past 40, I have had to use too much air and volume to hit those notes, almost screaming-level volume, and its not worth it. Just too much scar tissue to pull the vocal cords that tight any more.

When I was 21, I had a four octave range I was quite proud of obviously. I assumed it would always be there for me. HA!

HoustonHawk82 wrote:At 52, I can still sing extremely familiar stuff without screaming, but it takes a lot of warmup, and I gotta pull octaves once in a while too. I'm so out of practice and have forgotten so many lyrics now, I just can't sound any good any more unless I sing crooner tunes.

The key for me is to warm up with various vocal exercises before a gig. I drink honey water (okay fine, sometimes with Brandy to calm my nerves) and hum a lot before I go on stage. Humming is a little-known trade secret between singers. It seems so innocuous yet it has powerful benefits. Don't sing a song, HUM a song before you go on stage. It works and stretches the vocal chords without straining them.

HoustonHawk82 wrote:I used to go the really well-set-up kareoke bars when I travelled for work about ten years ago. That was fun. You know, the rare bars that the good singers would frequent. They had DJ's that showman-up the thing. They have the stage lights, monitor speakers and good equipment, and really know how to mix the sound. Some did stuff like replay a mix of your voice singing the tune (in reprise) as you high-fived your way back to your beer. They still exist, but you gotta investigate and do your homework to find those quality setups.

Yeah most Kareoke bars around my place are afterthoughts. And when you DO find a quality Kareoke, you are lucky to get a song in by the end of the night and when you do nobody is listening or cares, lol. I used to be "King of the Kareoke" back in the 90's and it was a blast, but short lived. It was a hoppin' bar right across the street from Key Arena where the Seattle Sonics used to play but we all know how that ended up...(insert Debbie Downer icon here).

HoustonHawk82 wrote:Trying to hook up with a band to sing my kinda songs with is too difficult to find, as they already have chick singers singing dude music, and they have boobs and I don't. I can still do Bryan Adams-level stuff, but the Def Leppard and AC/DC-level stuff, no way. There is still a lot of great music to sing in the lower ranges though, thankfully. Like Bad Co, Pearl Jam, etc. So all is not lost. If you love to sing, you find a way to do it.

Very true. I can still belt it out in spots, but I have a female singer helping me in our next gig...I am really looking forward to her help. Singing for nearly 4 hours is a bitch for ANY singer, I don't care how good you are. I am so happy to have her help, it will only sustain my voice into the weeee hours. :)

IGNORE THE NOISE!
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• Aros wrote:
    hawksfansinceday1 wrote:Aros: then I guess it's safe to assume Rush / Geddy circa Fly By Night, Hemispheres, etc. wouldn't work for you either. LOL

You know, it's funny you say that. I can sing a mean Limelight, and in fact a lot of Geddy Lee which is surprising somewhat given his high tenor, but I also have a clean tenor...I don't know how to process gravely screetching high notes.

Yet I can sing certain Queensryche songs and Rush songs and many other songs with high notes. It's an oddity I admit. I can nail certain high note tunes, and yet struggle with others.

I'm a barely passable singer and was even worse than that when I was a smoker so I find this quite interesting and kind of counter intuitive.. Thanks for the response.
    ImageImage

hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

• The humming technique was taught to us in high school by our choir director. He had an arsenal of voice techniques for warmup that we did every day, plus, he'd tell us to drink water at lunch, not soda. His big thing was hot lemon tea sweetened with honey. He said the tea does far more good for your throat than the caffeine does for making you nervous, but I think you're on to something with the honey.
    HoustonHawk82
    * NET Lead Admin *

• Nothing beats warm water with lemon, honey and a squeeze of brandy. Nothing.

IGNORE THE NOISE!
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Atlanta Radio 100.5 DJ Jason Bailey reported yesterday on his show, as transcribed by Alternative Nation, that a ‘very very good source’ is telling him that Axl Rose will indeed be joining AC/DC to front the band for the remainder of their tour. Alternative Nation first reported rumors of Rose touring with AC/DC on Monday.

“This is what I’m being told, Axl was meeting with the AC/DC group, because it’s all but a done deal that Axl will front AC/DC for the 10 remaining shows. All 10, including Atlanta.”

“From what I was told, this was all kind of new inside information to me, Angus is a very black and white guy. He’s like, Brian, for health reasons, can’t continue fronting the band. He was supposed to retire after the last tour, so they wanted to continue going out on the road and continue making music, so if you can’t do it, we appreciate your services, but the show must go on. They’re in town, they were auditioning people for the job, and then they flew Axl in, again, this is from my source.”
    In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays. 
    First Round Inductee To Hall Of Fame 2014
    ESPN #1 Rated Seahawks Player of All Time
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

• ^^^^ He's a blow hard HACK.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Holy sheep shit.

They must not be sold out at some of those shows and are looking to draw more in by using a "big name" instead of letting the music and reviews, from a more-qualified, lesser-know vocalist, draw them in. It has got to be a run of the numbers and a lessening of the risk to balancing the road budget making this decision.

This also means that all of their start times will probably be pushed back 20-30 minutes. Axl is famous for not wanting to hit the stage on time, and for making the crowd wait.

Sucks, as they may have to scrub some great tunes from the setlist to make the curfews.

Not impressed.
    HoustonHawk82
    * NET Lead Admin *

OkieHawk wrote:
    peachesenregalia wrote:

That sucks.

Pretty sure you just went to the 1993 Lollapalooza festival.

Anyways, won't argue. Seen Primus twice and its a great time.

As a long time fan of AC/DC (well, anything pre-1988) I'm interested to see what Axl can do. However, if they're going to do this, every concert should just be a greatest hits review. Leave the new stuff in the bin and start belting out the classics.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

• Aros wrote:Nothing beats warm water with lemon, honey and a squeeze of brandy. Nothing.

For his ears?

Johnson's doctors told him he could sustain total hearing loss if he continued the tour, that's why they stopped.

As far as Axl? idk, sounds cool, but he's such an ass and flake I can't see it working out. He likes to show up three hours late to concerts and refuse to go on because someone forgot to pick out all the blue M&M's from his dressing room bowl.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    * NET Moderator *

Next

It is currently Thu May 26, 2016 6:21 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NET LOUNGE ]

Information