Do you cook?

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! RATING: PG-13
Do you cook?
Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:46 pm
  • Or do you like to cook?
    I do 90% of the cooking at my house, I enjoy it. It's not really a hobby but it's close.
    I was raised by my grand parents until I was 11. And they were Italian, fairly traditional Italian at that. My grandmother spent most of her day cooking and I would watch, was basically the only kid in the house at that point.
    Fast forward a few years and now I'm with my mother in Spokane. She wasn't much of a mother and I had to fend for myself most of the time. The things I learned in my grandmothers kitchen came in handy when it came to feeding myself. I could even make something that tasted decent with not many ingredients in the house.
    As time went by I learned to enjoy pleasing people with a great plate of food.
    I'm not a gourmet by any means and don't get into a lot of exotic stuff. I have found that using FRESH high quality ingredients, makes a huge difference in the final out come, probably more so than anything else.

I love seafood but my wife won't eat crab, lobster or most shell fish. So I do fix it for myself when she's not around.
    The other day I bought some King crab to eat.
    When I was preparing my dinner something happened that I've NEVER seen before.
    My potato blew up in the oven. I mean with a loud bang blew up, the skin split in two pieces and the meat of the tater blasted all over the oven. In over 45 years of cooking I've never had this happen. Yes i pierced the skin before putting it in the oven.

Do you cook?
    What's your speciality?
    Got a funny story?
    ITS A GREAT TIME TO BE A SEAHAWK FAN !
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Re: Do you cook?
Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:17 pm
  • Wow, that is one popped spud!

I do some cooking as well. I make pretty good curry - I make a Malaysian style lamb curry with a coconut base, but my specialty is a Pakistani style chicken mango curry with a goat yogurt base. People tell me it's pretty damn good.
    The_Z_Man
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:35 pm
  • I most definitely cook, and I've never blown up a spud before, haha. I do over-pierce mine when they go in the oven or microwave, though.

I enjoy cooking, as long as the vast majority of the dishes are ones I can throw in the dishwasher. I hate hand-washing dishes. Not a hobby, but I do enjoy it and I'm good at it. Not some world-class chef or anything, I'm not bustin' out the braggadocio, but I know what I'm doing to a decent extent.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Do you cook?
Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:51 pm
  • Ha, that's one of the benefits of me doing the cooking at my house.
    The wife cleans up. Actually she's happy to do it. She doesn't care to cook, and she likes my cooking.
    Great trade off for both of us.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:52 pm
  • It's amazing how much more enjoyable cooking is when you don't have to clean up afterwards.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:53 pm
  • I had no idea a potato could pop like that. Crazy.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:57 pm
  • Annnnnnnd there's Zeb's answer to the "Do you cook?" question. :lol:
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Do you cook?
Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:13 pm
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:I had no idea a potato could pop like that. Crazy.

It was very freakish.
    I've heard of them blowing up in a microwave if people don't poke the skin but I've never heard of it in an oven.
    BTW as you can see in the pix, it didn't just split and break up, it literally blew into small bits.
    Edit: it was an organic potato, not sure that had any effect as I mostly buy organic if available.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:06 pm
  • I always poke holes in them because that's what my dad did and that's how I learned to bake a potato I just had no idea it was to keep it from exploding hahaha. I don't cook a lot, but I do on occasion. I love to grill. Obviously. Because I'm a man. I make a pretty mean breakfast scramble. Country ribs & rice. Stir fry. Not much from scratch, like I make pizza but I don't make my own dough. Make a pretty good ragu sauce. I don't really keep recipes, I just kinda throw shit together and it usually turns out ok. But yeah, I hate cleaning.

One time I had the oven preheating and realized too late that there was an empty pyrex casserole dish in there (thanks, roomie). Pulled it out and set it in the sink and a drip of water fell on it and it pretty much exploded in the sink. Pretty awesome, really. Did know they did that either haha.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:53 pm
  • I love to cook, but only have the time once or twice a week. My wife is Filipino and craves American food but doesn't know how to cook it, so I had to learn to impress her. I'm pretty good at picking out recipes and making them turn out the way I envision them. Made my first cheese souffle this weekend, big hit. I'm working on pastries lately, which has added about 2 inches to my waistline. I've actually learned quite a bit from watching Chopped religiously. I can't grill for crap though, which pretty much makes me a disgrace. Everything on the grill is burnt or undercooked. I can even mess up burgers.
    "So between my friends and I we have been at every home game to date this year, and we have all been plotting the offensive plays called. " ------Anthony!
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:24 am
  • Yeah, my whole family cooks. It's rare that one of us makes the entire meal... it's usually a team effort.

I do a pretty nice buffalo manicotti. Also a chicken prosciutto dish with mushrooms over arugula.

But mostly, I do desserts. Cookies, pies, etc.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    volsunghawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:59 am
  • I cook for my folks every Sunday, unless the hawks are a late game down here, then I let them cook and just show up after the game and drink their Whiskey.

Got a crock pot for Christmas, trying to find something to cook in that the makes me go wow. Made a mean pot roast in that thing, but that is really kinda boring. Anyone got a good one for the slow cooker?

I'd say the panty dropper is my Chicken Marsala. Hmmmmm day off today, think I just figured what is for diner!
    NoChops
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:39 am
  • I am a big fan of cooking too. I end up probably cooking more than half of our dinners since my wife is usually fried from wrangling a toddler and baby by the time I get home from work.

My favorite thing to cook is meat. Steak, pork, chicken, seafood... I love it all. Lately I have been experimenting with different cooking methods, different cuts of meat, different sources to get meat, etc.

A few days ago I cooked some bacon wrapped filets from Snake River Farms using the reverse sear method for the first time. I usually don't care for filets but these were by far the best I have ever eaten. The reverse sear did a great job of not overcooking the meat and leaving it nice and rare throughout. And these filets had more marbling than I have ever seen in a tenderloin, apart from waygu of course.

I have been chronicling some of my recent meat adventures on a new site I started and here is the post about the reverse sear compared to a regular sear: http://completecarnivore.com/sear-vs-reverse-sear/

Biscuits are another thing I have been working on lately. I wanted to get them sturdy enough to hold up when making a sandwich (bacon, lettuce, tomato, cheese, and egg is awesome) but also good enough to just throw some butter and jam on. Here is my most recent attempt:

drcool
    NET Starter

Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:47 am
  • I went to 2 cooking schools in Thailand so I can make some great Royal Thai Cuisine, almost anything.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:54 am
  • Wow I have never seen a potato do that in an oven! FWIW I still wrap all my spuds in Aluminum foil sheets (Costco is your friend here) and I never poke holes in them. This usually includes a stint in the microwave to get them up to temp as the oven is doing likewise. And yes the Foil comes after. :lol:

Just got done repairing (welding, riveting and repainting) my Charcoal Grill the other day and made Burgers on it last night. One of my favorites lately is to cut up a bunch of mixed veggies (Peppers, Onions, Baby Red potatoes and mushrooms) and grill them in my little perforated grilling wok. I make a mean crock pot of Chili from time to time as well.
    Evil_Shenanigans
    NET Veteran

Do you cook?
Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:09 am
  • I've been on a pork tenderloin kick lately.
    Do do them on the grill over mesquite. I don't know what I'll do if I ever live some place that mesquite isn't available, it's the bomb IMHO. Any way, one pork tenderloin will feed 2 easily and can be had for about $7-8.
    I spend a little more for the all natural ones. Sear over direct heat then finish indirectly. I've done many different ways. One of my faves is to glaze them with a raspberry habanero sauce.
    Easy to make. Raspberry preserves in sauce pan, clove garlic, couple peppers and a few drops of low sodium soy sauce.
    You can use any fruit you like, peach is nice too.
    Just don't put it on until almost finished. You don't want the sugar to burn.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:29 am

Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:45 am
  • pmedic920 wrote:I don't know what I'll do if I ever live some place that mesquite isn't available, it's the bomb IMHO.

What part of the country, exactly, do you think that mesquite's not easily available for purchase in?
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:58 am
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:I had no idea a potato could pop like that. Crazy.

Damn GMO's!!!!!

Split cooking duties with wife, I probably do more spring through fall outdoors on the grill.
    And this post is not directed at anyone personally.
    DTexHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:31 pm
  • I'm kind of the Sous chef in my house as my wife is the better cook and often the creator of most of the recipes and I am skilled enough to cook them and home first in the evening, so I end up cooking every night. I typically cook French and Italian food.
    seahawk2k
    NET Veteran

Do you cook?
Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:29 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    pmedic920 wrote:I don't know what I'll do if I ever live some place that mesquite isn't available, it's the bomb IMHO.

What part of the country, exactly, do you think that mesquite's not easily available for purchase in?

I'm fully aware, that in this day and age, you can purchase just about anything.
    I don't buy it. It grows around here and it's hated. Except for cooking.
    It will over run pasture land in just a few years if not kept in check.
    Oak, hickory and pecan are also good cooking woods but most don't pay money for it, unless it's a high volume BBQ joint that burns it buy the cord on a weekly basis.

Don't you have somebody in the Shack you could be harassing?
    ;{)
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:50 pm
  • I cook a lot. And have blown up a potato as well. Cleaning the oven after that really sucks.

I have a smoker, use it quite a bit. I cook Indian, Thai, Mexican (not tex mex), Salvadoran, just getting into Viet, learned to roll my own (sushi), and I make beer. That's cooking, right?

Baking is my great fear. Breads, pies, and all things flour kind of freak me out, I cook them with trepidation. They are usually just fine, but baking takes precision and attention to detail, and I'm not the type who loves sticking to recipes or watching a clock, so occasionally my baking results in disaster.

My wife is a vegetarian, not a strict one, she is easily seduced by things with bacon, but she doesn't eat beef, pork, except for the incredible vegetarian seductress, bacon, (I mean why do the vegans have all the fake bacon stuff? They know it's awesome, that's why) or chicken, but she loves all things seafood, so all things seafood and vegetarian have expanded my cooking quite a bit. I make a kick ass ceviche. I can work miracles with mushrooms and a smoker. Tuna collars with smoked Portabellas? Hell yeah.

Once a week, Tuesdays, we cook together, and the one rule is we have to try something we have never had before. We each pick out a new recipe every other week. Sometimes it is terrible, but for the most part it is a lot of fun. We can always order pizza if it goes south. With bacon on it.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:15 pm
  • Scottemojo wrote:I cook a lot. And have blown up a potato as well. Cleaning the oven after that really sucks.

I saw a friend's oven after he did that once a long time ago, which is why I spear my oven/microwave-bound potatoes to the point of looking like a post-toll booth Sunny Corleone.

pmedic920 wrote:I'm fully aware, that in this day and age, you can purchase just about anything.
    I don't buy it. It grows around here and it's hated. Except for cooking.

So it's important to you that you be able to what, walk into your backyard and pick your own? ;) What's funny is a family member of my best friend is growing mesquite inside her house not far from here; I actually ate some of it last fall. I had never just...Eaten the stuff before. Interesting flavor on its own.

pmedic920 wrote:Don't you have somebody in the Shack you could be harassing?
    ;{)

Yeah, yeah, old man; I just responded in there. Who are you, my mother?
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Do you cook?
Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:35 pm
  • ^^^^
    No I don't have to go into my yard for cooking mesquite.
    But I don't like paying for it.
    I do a lot of cooking over flame or coals. Paying for Mesquite in the great white north wood get expensive.

Wood, get it?
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:38 pm
  • ...Show yourself out.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:50 pm
  • When I lived in AZ, I would get mesquite anywhere but the store.

Now that i have to pay for the stuff, I find myself liking hickory, cherry, and apple wood more. Mesquite has a more specific flavor that I like for a couple of things, but overall I like the hardwoods better. Insert joke here.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:46 pm
  • yeah I am a smoker and lived in arizona for 5 years myself, mesquite was easy to come by but apple and cherry are more to my liking, occasionally alder or hickory. I guess it depends on what I am smokin. I try and cook with the wife but we are kinda polar opposites in that I love spice and she does not, she does not eat beef or pork, she loves veggies me not so much :lol:
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:31 am
  • I cook. Sac can vouch for that.

World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Les Norton - gone but never forgotten. Rest in blue and green peace, my friend.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:32 am
  • I do the cooking and washing up when Im home.

I go through "waves" of what Im into..from Mexican to Korean.. obviously Japanese. My wife isnt like a lot of Japanese who marry foreigners, shes not in to the whole foreign scene..she prefers Japanese food most of the time. I was intimidated by Japanese cooking but 3 years started teaching myself and am pretty good now.

My two big "fails".. I was making Japanese style chicken wings for Super Bowl 48...new recipe. They were coming out a bit salty so I thought Id put too much soy sauce..so I balanced it out with more sugar in the next batch. Still too salty. Maybe MORE salty. So I added MORE sugar. Never did get the balance right but they were still pretty good apparently..they went first.
    The NEXT day my wife says "oh..by the way..you were out of sugar and I got a new kind of fine grain salt from my co-worker so I just put in the salt jar". So...yea..I was adding salt instead of sugar the whole time.

3 years ago at Christmas I made cookies for the first time..EVER. Not my thing normally. So, Im trying to get the dough to roll out and its sticky. So, I find the flour, add that to the rolling pin and surface and try again. Doesnt help. Add a bit more and I figure the cookie dough must have something wrong because its seemingly sticking more. Goes on for a bit and eventually I just give up. Make two pumpkin pies instead.

Wife gets home.. I tell her the story. She thinks its weird..finds the "flour" Ive been using. THEN I find my problem..again. The kanji (Chinese character used in writing Japanese) for "flour" and for "starch" are ALMOST exactly the same and Id read it wrong. I was adding starch again and again...... with the obvious result.
    “If somebody thinks they're a hedgehog, presumably you just give them a mirror and a few pictures of hedgehogs and tell them to sort it out for themselves.”
    Vetamur
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:31 pm
  • I cook. I'm no Emeril but everything is edible. I'm a huge seafood guy too, especially crab and razor clams. I have a steamer pot I bought just for crab. I'm an avid clammer (Long Beach peninsula mostly) and have a deep fryer just for cooking them. I roll them in flour, dip them in egg wash and then dredge them in Panko. Makes an awesome crunchy clam (top with a very little bit of tarter sauce).
    Also make a pretty mean razor clam chowder with them.
    ImageImage

Bevell, the gift that keeps on giving
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:46 pm
  • When I was a kid my mom made stuff I hated. I was a finicky eater and my parents are both German and cheap. I would complain about what she made for dinner and mom would say " if you don't want I made then make your own". So I did. My taste buds were ruined by this so I lived on hot dogs, BBQ'd baloney, tuna fish, hamburgers, cereal and not much else for a couple of years in my early teenage years. I didn't like cheese and would actually take all the cheese off of pizza!

Now I cook most meals, my wife can really cook certain dishes that her mom taught her, but she has no interest in learning to cook something else.

Until the smoker took over. My wife wants to be involved in every smoke and even let me smoke the T day turkey last year.
    irocdave
    NET Veteran

It is currently Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:04 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NET LOUNGE ]

Information