Weight Loss In Spurts?

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! RATING: PG-13
Re: Weight Loss In Spurts?
Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:26 am
  • Weighed in at 217 this morning...albeit after a 7 mile run. So friggin happy...feeling better than I have in years, and my goals are starting to finally come into sight. I really had to work to get from 230 to 220...and am feeling enormously better in terms of endurance and overall confidence with each barrier broken.
    RiggoReincarnated
    NET Starter

Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:02 am
  • Keep it up Riggo.

I'm down to around that same range. Got a long ways to go but ditto on the 'feeling better' part. I had a couple of bites of pizza at a party the other day and it didn't even taste good. Set me straight back to the 'feeling like ass' thing too.
    President of the Perfect Parents Society - est. 2013
    JesterHawk
    * Smackmeister *

Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:14 am
  • JesterHawk wrote:Keep it up Riggo.

I'm down to around that same range. Got a long ways to go but ditto on the 'feeling better' part. I had a couple of bites of pizza at a party the other day and it didn't even taste good. Set me straight back to the 'feeling like ass' thing too.

Thanks dude. What's been helping me is that if I do allow myself a night to go out/stay up late/drink/etc...I make sure its Friday night rather than Saturday.

I find that if I get good nights sleep on Saturday and Sunday nights, I can be recovered and get back into a routine on Monday much more easily than if I go out on a Saturday night.
    RiggoReincarnated
    NET Starter

Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:17 am
  • Humbling experience at morning bootcamp gym class I tried for the hell of it: when a Korean woman half your body-weight is paired to hold you while doing sprints with resistance stretch cords, and you feel like you're going to keel over after about 3 of them, while she is still going hardcore when its her turn to run pulling you like an ox. Just when I thought I was getting in decent shape as well - ass kicked both physically and mentally.
    RiggoReincarnated
    NET Starter

Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:35 am
  • RiggoReincarnated wrote:Humbling experience at morning bootcamp gym class I tried for the hell of it: when a Korean woman half your body-weight is paired to hold you while doing sprints with resistance stretch cords, and you feel like you're going to keel over after about 3 of them, while she is still going hardcore when its her turn to run pulling you like an ox. Just when I thought I was getting in decent shape as well - ass kicked both physically and mentally.

Nothing quite like getting out of your own head and getting a good taste of reality is there :-).

When I bought my road bike at the end of last June I went out for a shop ride at the invitation of the store owner. As soon as we got out of town I got dropped like a bad habit, and there were like fat ladies and old people in that group! It pissed me off so I started riding every day, grinding away and losing weight.

Fast forward to thanksgiving. I was 55lbs lighter and a whole lot fitter. went out for a big thanksgiving group ride - first time riding with others since I bought my bike. felt strong and I was riding with the b+ group which was averaging about 22mph on a 50 mile ride.

There was a chick, probably in her late 40s who got in front and kept the tempo high, and people started dropping off the back (I thought that was considered poor etiquette on a club ride? Idk). I was in survival mode. we hit a hill at about the 45 miles mark and she dropped the hammer! If I fell off the back of the group no way I would be able to catch back up so I turned myself inside out to stay on the wheel of the guy in front of me. I got tunnel vision really bad and wanted to throw up. But I held on! Out of over 20 riders in that group there was a small handful of us left at the end of the ride and I was one of them.

That was one hard woman. Months of working out 6 days a week and I got destroyed hanging on. And that was just a B group!

that stuff has a way of keeping things real. working out alone all the time, it's easy to become a legend in our own minds. :D
    Championships are forever.
    Happy
    * NET Lead Admin *

Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:04 am
  • Do any of you find that the grind of the week often impacts your workouts?

Felt great on Monday, pretty good yesterday, really had to struggle this morning. Wednesday and or Thursday seem to consistently be the hardest for me. On Friday I see the light at the end of the tunnel and feel more similar to the way I do on Monday...as I know a respite is coming.
    RiggoReincarnated
    NET Starter

Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:29 am
  • If you're feeling more fatigued as the week wears on, it's probably related to higher volume exercise vs lower calories during the week. Then you break from exercise and eat more over the weekend and feel great when you get back at it.
    AbsolutNET
    * NET X's & O's Guru *

Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:50 am
  • hawker84 wrote:P90X baby.. worked for me.. did it for 2 years, was in better shape than i was in highschool.. the plyometrics and strengthening/cardio excercises are hard but will git you in shape.. oh by the way.. P90X is pure hell in a box...getting ready to start it again, get in shape for summer.

one more thing.. drink a ton of water, you'll drop 10lbs doing that alone.. more you drink the less your body will store.. i drank close to a gallon a day, that's all i could stand, some drink more...

Watch your water drinking during meals. Tons of water then can dilute your digestive enzymes slowing your digestive system.
    I'm no diet expert so I will shut up here but believe it.
    captSE
    NET Starter

Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:20 pm
  • well, no more riggo, but this is still a good topic.

anyway, based in no small part on the some of the discussion here I tightened up on my diet and ditched sugar, white carbs, and processed foods in general. It's been a couple of months now - I did have a couple of small relapses, ate some candy on easter and it made me feel like ass. But now I'm to the point where a whole food diet is normal, and the idea of eating processed food or drinking soda pop sounds really unappetizing.

I feel a lot better. For real.

Weighed in the morning - 175 lbs. That's 69 lbs since may of last year. I haven't weighed 175 since I was in high school.
    Happy
    * NET Lead Admin *

Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:29 pm
  • sadhappy wrote:Weighed in the morning - 175 lbs. That's 69 lbs since may of last year. I haven't weighed 175 since I was in high school.

And now you're sexier too... :oops:
    Anguish
    * NET Developer *

Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:33 pm
  • I just lost at LEAST two pound during my after lunch mediation session.
    "Pete Carroll brings in great elves...and they make the best presents."
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOT a Moderator

Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:45 pm
  • SacHawk2.0 wrote:I just lost at LEAST two pound during my after lunch mediation session.

A three logger after lunch?
    President of the Perfect Parents Society - est. 2013
    JesterHawk
    * Smackmeister *

Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:46 pm
  • JesterHawk wrote:
    SacHawk2.0 wrote:I just lost at LEAST two pound during my after lunch mediation session.

A three logger after lunch?

All in one that wrapped around the inside and stuck out of the water.
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOT a Moderator

Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:47 pm
  • I think I'm going to vomit all over Sac & Jester.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:49 pm
  • Anguish wrote:
    sadhappy wrote:Weighed in the morning - 175 lbs. That's 69 lbs since may of last year. I haven't weighed 175 since I was in high school.

Well between this thread and the shack thread about shaving .vs trimming the junk, .net has definitely made me a sexier bitch than ever before. Women want to be with me, men want to be with me.

Is there anything .net can't do?
    Happy
    * NET Lead Admin *

Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:51 pm
  • Dude, that manscaping thread was needed. We had way more guys around here that didn't keep the forest trimmed than I ever would have imagined.

Just remember, gentlemen; it's supposed to be a prairie, not a jungle.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:33 pm
  • Anguish wrote:
    sadhappy wrote:Weighed in the morning - 175 lbs. That's 69 lbs since may of last year. I haven't weighed 175 since I was in high school.

Didn't think that was possible.
    Spounge84
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

Tue May 07, 2013 5:27 pm
  • Two Sundays ago I did my first century ride - completed in 4:50, that's like 20.7mph average or something like that. my resting heart rate is down to 48!

Now the bad news.

Just before that I got a nerve pinch at c5/c6 surfing and after gutting it through the century ride and a couple more training rides I was finally ordered off the bike by my doctor. went from a pretty big high about being in the best shape since I was a teenager to barely being able to care for myself in just a few days time really. Chiro and NSADs/ice/rest/compression were ineffective so I start the steroids tomorrow, and if that doesn't work it's epidural time. Don't appear to be a candidate for a fusion just yet so there is that at least. But this pain frigging sucks. I want back on the bike.

Getting old is a drag.
    Happy
    * NET Lead Admin *

Tue May 07, 2013 6:28 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:Dude, that manscaping thread was needed. We had way more guys around here that didn't keep the forest trimmed than I ever would have imagined.

And this bothers you somehow?
    And this post is not directed at anyone personally.
    DTexHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue May 07, 2013 8:00 pm
  • DTexHawk wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:Dude, that manscaping thread was needed. We had way more guys around here that didn't keep the forest trimmed than I ever would have imagined.

And this bothers you somehow?

Roland is a BIG prairie fan.
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOT a Moderator

Wed May 08, 2013 7:11 am
  • sadhappy wrote:Two Sundays ago I did my first century ride - completed in 4:50, that's like 20.7mph average or something like that. my resting heart rate is down to 48!

Now the bad news.

Just before that I got a nerve pinch at c5/c6 surfing and after gutting it through the century ride and a couple more training rides I was finally ordered off the bike by my doctor. went from a pretty big high about being in the best shape since I was a teenager to barely being able to care for myself in just a few days time really. Chiro and NSADs/ice/rest/compression were ineffective so I start the steroids tomorrow, and if that doesn't work it's epidural time. Don't appear to be a candidate for a fusion just yet so there is that at least. But this pain frigging sucks. I want back on the bike.

Getting old is a drag.

Tell me about it. I have two useless knees from arthritis, lower back pain from favoring my worse knee on dead lift, and impingement in my shoulder. I tried running two sundays ago and my knee is still swollen. Can't run, squat, leg press, and I probably shouldn't dead lift. I'm running out of ideas! Can't wait till I'm 50 in another 20 years...

Awesome job on the ride though, thats impressive! And a damn good resting heart rate, I was happy to get mine to 60.
    AbsolutNET
    * NET X's & O's Guru *

Wed May 08, 2013 7:28 am
  • Genes?

A friend of mine is in his mid-forties but looks like he is in his mid-twenties. He has the worst diet I have ever seen. Multiple Toaster Strudels for breakfast every morning and Wendy's / fast food for lunch. He goes to the gym - 2-3 times per week for upper body strength training but never any cardio or leg/core work. His weight never fluctuates more than a couple pounds and is generally around 200 at 6'2". The dude benches about 340 and, despite no cardio, hardly gets winded when we run full court B-Ball once a month. He's also a programmer and rarely moves out of his chair during the day yet he is rocked up and in *visibly* great shape.

I hate him. He's consistently pulling chicks less than half his age. His only dietary restriction is alcohol. He never drinks...ever.

So is this guy a cardiac arrest waiting to happen or do some people just have the genes of Zeus?
    "It was so loud Derrick Coleman heard it."
    Thunderhawk
    NET Starter

Wed May 08, 2013 7:39 am
  • @thunderhawk Yea I have a friend like that. dude is my age, drinks like a fish, doesn't watch what he eats, works out a couple times a week. the booze/hard living shows in his face i'm afraid, and also I when I talk to him I see the cognitive decline that is typical of heavy drinkers as they age (and one of the reasons I quit) but from the neck down he looks like a greek god. plus he's a sick graphic designer so he makes great money working as a freelancer from home, about two blocks from the beach. he owns his condo outright because he bought stock in apple when they were still pimping the mac classic.

His chick is 15 years younger than him and totally smoking hot.

I hate him.
    Happy
    * NET Lead Admin *

Wed May 08, 2013 7:42 am
  • Hahaha, haters.
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOT a Moderator

Wed May 08, 2013 7:50 am
  • @absolutnet sorry to hear about the knees bro. that sucks! Running is out of the question for me due to a bad left ankle...broke it one too many times at the skatepark. That's why I took to the bike when I made the decision to get fit.

And thanks. I may not have won the genetic lottery but I was still able to turn back the clock quite a bit with some good old fashioned hard work. I'll learn from this thing; work on my posture plus make spinal flexibility a priority in my fitness regimen. yeah, that probably means some yoga classes so I can learn what poses I need and how to do them correctly.
    Happy
    * NET Lead Admin *

PreviousNext

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:15 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NET LOUNGE ]

Information