Niners make their roster cuts

look@dafilm

Reaction score
Marvin49":x0qb4f7o said:
John Clayton‏@ClaytonESPN6m
The 49ers have 14 players on the reserve list and that accounts for $13.4 million of cap room.

ouch. That sucks. lol.

Its actually kind of interesting. Only one of those players (Culliver) and like 2 undrafted rookies are not going to play at all this year (I'd put Lattimore in this category, but there's still a chance he plays if he continues his rapid rehab and we have major injuries at RB). Thats like $1mil tops. The rest will come back. It'll be interesting to see all of our roster moves throughout the year. We have to make room for these guys coming back from injury.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
mretrade":2fkxytmr said:
No. Make me. I was born in the 206 and I have ever right to be here as you do. And all these 49ers posts make me more compelled to continue to post and I add to the discussion. I am a 49er fan but I am also a football fan. :0190l:

BANDWAGON ALERT.

You should be publicly flogged by the residents of Enumclaw. But sure.. you have a right to be here. Especially if you ate your Merry Massacre crow like the few notables.

drdiags

Reaction score
Marvin49":2oo551ag said:
John Clayton‏@ClaytonESPN6m
The 49ers have 14 players on the reserve list and that accounts for $13.4 million of cap room.

ouch. That sucks. lol.

Saw this for the Seahawks

Davis Hsu ‏@DavisHsuSeattle
Seahawks have $5.3M in dead money ($4M is Flynn), $1.98M on IR (Jesse Mccoy Simon Fenner) $5.4M on PUP (mostly Harvin), $405k on NFI

Seahawks have $13M on IR, PUP, Dead Money and NFI. that counts against the salary cap as does practice squad (about $750k-$1M)

kearly

Reaction score
I thought the 49ers kind of bombed rounds 1 and 2 this year. I thought all three of those prospects were grossly over-rated before the draft. If the 49ers did take McDonald away from us, then we should send Baalke a gift basket. McDonald is a project with stone hands, meanwhile Seattle got Christine Michael who has a very, very bright future and (if I heard correctly) is leading the NFL in rushing this preseason, even though he missed a game.

But after that, it got a lot better. Lemonier, Dial, Daniels, Marquardt, maybe Patton, those were all players I wanted for Seattle. I think Lattimore will look great behind SF's run blocking, but I didn't think much of him as a prospect as he is allergic to the big play and can't stay healthy, ever. Seattle's D is really strong against slow to average speed RBs but can get gouged by the Reggie Bushes and CJ Spillers of the league, so I was actually relieved when I saw SF invest in an average speed RB who decidedly lacks HR ability (I think Lattimore had just one run over 25 yards in his last season, something like that).

Michael aside, I wasn't thrilled with Seattle's draft either. It has gotten off to a fairly poor start, although Seattle did some very nice things in UDFA. Mayowa, Brooks, and Bailey have been better than most of our draft picks.

mretrade

Reaction score
I feel like its impossible for any Seahawk fans to like what we did. Kearly, both Reid and McDonald have looked fantastic early. With Reid, I would of preferred a guy with better coverage skills but he has the speed to have good range at the next level. He has more talent than Goldson did coming out (I am on record as to saying Goldson is highly over rated years ago). McDonald is said to drop the easy ones but he has looked like an absolute beast this preseason. And Tank is I believe on the PUP, but he was a guy I wanted well before the draft started.

I am impartial to division rivals. AKA I think Christine Michael is a stud.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
mretrade":3bnrvhow said:
SonicHawk":3bnrvhow said:
mretrade":3bnrvhow said:
^^^Excuse me? I know my team better than you know yours and I know the Seahawks better than you know the Niners.

Stop trolling.

Get off of our boards.

No. Make me.

That challenge was directed towards me, right?

Marvin49

Reaction score
kearly":37di1b0r said:
I thought the 49ers kind of bombed rounds 1 and 2 this year. I thought all three of those prospects were grossly over-rated before the draft. If the 49ers did take McDonald away from us, then we should send Baalke a gift basket. McDonald is a project with stone hands, meanwhile Seattle got Christine Michael who has a very, very bright future and (if I heard correctly) is leading the NFL in rushing this preseason, even though he missed a game.

But after that, it got a lot better. Lemonier, Dial, Daniels, Marquardt, maybe Patton, those were all players I wanted for Seattle. I think Lattimore will look great behind SF's run blocking, but I didn't think much of him as a prospect as he is allergic to the big play and can't stay healthy, ever. Seattle's D is really strong against slow to average speed RBs but can get gouged by the Reggie Bushes and CJ Spillers of the league, so I was actually relieved when I saw SF invest in an average speed RB who decidedly lacks HR ability (I think Lattimore had just one run over 25 yards in his last season, something like that).

Michael aside, I wasn't thrilled with Seattle's draft either. It has gotten off to a fairly poor start, although Seattle did some very nice things in UDFA. Mayowa, Brooks, and Bailey have been better than most of our draft picks.

Well...it is very early so you can't make too many definitive conclusions...

...but Reid has looked really good. He isn't as much of a "downhill" player as Goldson was but I'm not sure how much of that is his style and how much is him still learning. Goldson didn't always play that way either. When Reid has gone full bore it was impressive. His arms are LOOOOONGGGGG. LOL. It looks unnatural. So for so good with Reid.

Really can't say anything on Carradine. I really like him, but he is still recovering from the torn ACL. We haven't seen him yet.

McDonald. Who knows...you may end up being right...but so far he's been fantastic. When he gets the ball, you notice. He doesn't run like a TE...he seems much faster than his 40 time and moves athletically (not big and stiff like your average 6'4 270lbs TE). The play that really stands out for me is a play in the 3rd quarter (1:11:17 of the below link) where he hurdles a DB. He seems to stand out every time he catches the ball.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVVMK5uW6yc

He's had some dropsies admittedly (something that goes back to college), but so did the guy he's replacing (Delanie Walker).

I know what you are saying about Lattimore. I can see it on all of the video that I've seen on him. Even when he was 100% healthy, he was never anything resembling a burner. I also worry that his running style simply lends itself to leg injuries. The first one really wasn't a case of that as he was blocking and not running when he got rolled up on, but I do have that concern.

At the same time tho, Frank was never a burner either (or at least post knee injuries).

Michael looks really good. I'm kinda the opposite tho...I think the Niners have more trouble with bigger, bruising backs than quick, fast guys. I think its because while the 49ers front 7 is really, really good and really, really fast, they are NOT really big. They only gave up 4 100 yards games to individual runners last year....and two of them were Marshawn. Another was Steven Jackson. Ahmad Bradshaw was the last (not big, but physical).

look@dafilm

Reaction score
kearly":18cjbapm said:

lol, yes...the 49ers bombed rounds 1 and 2 this year. We got an instant impact starter on a consensus top 5 defense, a player who slipped due to his current injury but by all accounts would have been a 1st rounder if not for said injury, and a TE who is big, fast, athletic, and can make amazing catches with his reach/radius.

The 49ers top 3 picks (our 1st and 2nd round picks) are going to be HUGE contributors.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
Jeez, who's probably more likely to be right: Kearly, who does this for a living and is pretty much impartial when it comes to evaluating players and drafts, or a bunch of Niner fans with the combined football knowledge of a peanut (and Marvin, who I am not including in the peanut thing but who is as blissfully biased as most of us)?

NINEster

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":340xz0s7 said:
Jeez, who's probably more likely to be right: Kearly, who does this for a living and is pretty much impartial when it comes to evaluating players and drafts, or a bunch of Niner fans with the combined football knowledge of a peanut (and Marvin, who I am not including in the peanut thing but who is as blissfully biased as most of us)?

Nobody can be perfect with player predictions.

Kearly's praise of the later round picks is good to hear. The Reid thing doesn't concern me a ton since Goldson wasn't exactly Earl Thomas in coverage. The McDonald pick just needs to be as productive as Delanie Walker and the pick is a success.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
NINEster":385v0enf said:
Smelly McUgly":385v0enf said:

Nobody can be perfect with player predictions.

Obviously this is true, but if Niners fans disagree with Kearly, something more than LOL SEAHAWK FAN BIAS LOL would be nice.

DonnieDarko

Reaction score
kearly":1lktmbz0 said:
I thought the 49ers kind of bombed rounds 1 and 2 this year. I thought all three of those prospects were grossly over-rated before the draft. If the 49ers did take McDonald away from us, then we should send Baalke a gift basket. McDonald is a project with stone hands,

lol

so if the seahawks snatched up McDonald before us then of course he would be a stud. since the 9ers grabbed him the negatives outweigh the positives, got it.

oh by the way, McDonald has looked excellent in the 2 preseason games he's been in.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
DonnieDarko":hcqh76qd said:
kearly":hcqh76qd said:
I thought the 49ers kind of bombed rounds 1 and 2 this year. I thought all three of those prospects were grossly over-rated before the draft. If the 49ers did take McDonald away from us, then we should send Baalke a gift basket. McDonald is a project with stone hands,

lol

so if the seahawks snatched up McDonald before us then of course he would be a stud. since the 9ers grabbed him the negatives outweigh the positives, got it.

oh by the way, McDonald has looked excellent in the 2 preseason games he's been in.

McDonald has had easy drops and made great plays, same as in college. I wanted McDonald badly, Kearly didn't like him from the start. Kearly was touting Christine Michael long before the draft.

I like the way McDonald runs routes for a big guy. He drops passes sometimes.

Now let's address you. You are the FNG here right now, maybe assuming homer bias is behind everything is not the best way to have discussion. Rather than jump to a conclusion, ask Kearly a question.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":3dq37fqy said:

The draft every year should be proof that even people who do it for a living can be wrong. :)

I'm not saying anything about how those players the Niners took early will pan out. I can only tell you how they've looked so far before the real bullets start firing. Reid has looked good. Carradine hasn't played, but that was expected. McDonald has looked REALLY good.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2xm91tbg said:
DonnieDarko":2xm91tbg said:
kearly":2xm91tbg said:

lol

McDonald has had easy drops and made great plays, same as in college. I wanted McDonald badly, Kearly didn't like him from the start. Kearly was touting Christine Michael long before the draft.

I like the way McDonald runs routes for a big guy. He drops passes sometimes.

Now let's address you. You are the FNG here right now, maybe assuming homer bias is behind everything is not the best way to have discussion. Rather than jump to a conclusion, ask Kearly a question.

Yeah...so far I really like McDonald. I think he's leading the team in receiving right now in preseason despite missing the game in KC. Not saying much...but he's made an impact when he's been out there.

I think a number of people liked Michael. He'd probably have gone earlier if not for character issues. If I were a Seahawks fan I'd be pretty happy with that pick right now.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
But that's not the point, Marvin. Heck, Kearly had a thread up where he mentioned his misses in evaluation a little while ago.

The point is that Kearly has given reasoned evaluation on these players multiple times. If a Niners fan wants to respond, do so with a cogent argument built up with actual counterpoints based on facts and analysis rather than whining about bias, especially with Kearly of all people.

Anyway, having seen all of one quarter of 49er football in the preseason, all I know about the Niners is that Kaepernick made multiple reads multiple times in that quarter, so hopefully one day we can stop having THAT argument.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":396dqjrz said:
But that's not the point, Marvin. Heck, Kearly had a thread up where he mentioned his misses in evaluation a little while ago.

The point is that Kearly has given reasoned evaluation on these players multiple times. If a Niners fan wants to respond, do so with a cogent argument built up with actual counterpoints based on facts and analysis rather than whining about bias, especially with Kearly of all people.

Anyway, having seen all of one quarter of 49er football in the preseason, all I know about the Niners is that Kaepernick made multiple reads multiple times in that quarter, so hopefully one day we can stop having THAT argument.

...one can dream. :)

ivotuk

Reaction score
KCHawkGirl":624om686 said:
So the guy who gets beaned with a bottle gets cut? That's harsh.

I loved that part. They get him to down play the whole incident, then cut him.

"Defensive tackle Lamar Divens, who was allegedly hit in the face with a bottle by linebacker Ahmad Brooks, was also waived/injured"

mjwhitay

Reaction score
I've learned something in this thread....

Everyone run out and draft Vance MacDonald. Immediately. He's gonna be a major contributor because we've seem stuff in preseason.

Meanwhile if we said the same thing about Christine Michael, we'd be told to pump the brakes, he's a rookie.

Don't worry though, Vance is not a normal rookie, he's immune to the learning curve and he's gonna be awesome right away!!!