for all the talk about the 5 10am eastern starts..no one is

niveky

Reaction score
pointing out that five of the last 8 games for the Hawks are home games and the last two are the Rams and the Cardinals at home.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
i pointed that out earlier this week. also the fact that the road games we do have left are against the Giants who look horrible, the Falcons who look beatable, and the Niners, that we've beaten soundly twice in a row even if those games were at home - they were far more dominating than simple home field advantage.

OP
OP
niveky

niveky

Reaction score
Hawknballs":2du3k4cy said:
i pointed that out earlier this week. also the fact that the road games we do have left are against the Giants who look horrible, the Falcons who look beatable, and the Niners, that we've beaten soundly twice in a row even if those games were at home - they were far more dominating than simple home field advantage.

Probably the 3 games I'm most worried about are the Saints, Falcons and the 49'ers. The 49'ers have been steamrolled the last couple of times, but they did stifle the Hawks in their home game. That said, during that game if the wr's and hb's would have caught 2-3 more balls it could have easily been a hawks win, even with the way the 49'ers ran on them. I do believe that the Falcons game will be some small measure of payback for the playoff loss and the Saints game I think is the only game i'm really worried about

BullHawk33

Reaction score
Jimmy Johnson pointed out that with the 2 road wins, he says we'll put up a minimum of 10 wins now by his count. This Texans game I knew was going to be real tough and I just didn't have confidence in our offense against this good of a defense, especially with 3 starting linemen out.

I seriously don't see us losing another game this year now unless we beat ourselves.

Shaz

Reaction score
Guys,

The defense can't keep bailing us out, at some point this offense has to start sustaining drives and be the powerhouse it was during the 2nd half of the season it was last year

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Shaz":30hqsrat said:
Guys,

The defense can't keep bailing us out, at some point this offense has to start sustaining drives and be the powerhouse it was during the 2nd half of the season it was last year

I see the bailing out today, as the D bailing itself out. They were completely dominated in the first half. I know the O was too, but they had to expect it with the line they were going into war with and against.

Erebus

Reaction score
The only teams that have given us any trouble have very good defensive lines and were always in Wilson's face 2 seconds after the snap. And they still didn't beat us.

We play very few good d-lines the rest of the way. We already beat one of them (49ers) and the other doesn't have a team around it (Rams).

AgentDib

Reaction score
Don't sleep on the Saints defensive line. The play of their youngsters is the biggest difference for them so far this year and they have 39 hurries already. The Cards belong on that list as well if you are going to include the Rams.

sutz

Reaction score
Well, our first two road games have gone well. :)

Of the six remaining, three are one time or less zone away. Our chances of going over .500 on the road this season have improved markedly. Assuming we hold serve at home, we're looking at very possibly being the #1 seed come January. There's a lot of football to play, but we have sure shown some remarkable resilience so far. It's a great time to be a Seahawks fan.

mikeak

Reaction score
Glad nobody is concerned about Indy. Not like they just beat SF and we are playing them at 10am...

dan2314

Reaction score
Seanhawk":18tjyx25 said:
Shaz":18tjyx25 said:
Guys,

I see the bailing out today, as the D bailing itself out. They were completely dominated in the first half. I know the O was too, but they had to expect it with the line they were going into war with and against.

they had a graphic up at some point, and it had the first like 7 drives or so, and they were all below about 5 or 6 plays all leading to punts except for the one FG and the fumble. its incredibly tough for a defense to continually stand up on short fields like that. putting a lot of hope into percy being a huge difference, and a healthy o-line will help, but offense is still a problem outside of beast, and its hard to see that changing any time soon. russell constantly appeared to have nothing to throw to, leading to a lot of pressure - the o-line cant hold them forever, but its a bit of both. was great to get this win, was very very impressive.
id be concerned about the colts next week though. they dont look anywhere near as bad as i thought they would be heading into the season. itll take another amazing effort like the one today to get the win.
Irvin coming back should hopefully help, and we can hope that max and breno arent hurt too badly and can come straight back, but it wont be easy.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
I'm not so worried about Breno. Unger and Okung are another story. The offense may never find their rhythm from last season if they don't get the those guys back.

themunn

Reaction score
dan2314":gb6c4wdi said:
Seanhawk":gb6c4wdi said:
Shaz":gb6c4wdi said:
Guys,

they had a graphic up at some point, and it had the first like 7 drives or so, and they were all below about 5 or 6 plays all leading to punts except for the one FG and the fumble. its incredibly tough for a defense to continually stand up on short fields like that. putting a lot of hope into percy being a huge difference, and a healthy o-line will help, but offense is still a problem outside of beast, and its hard to see that changing any time soon. russell constantly appeared to have nothing to throw to, leading to a lot of pressure - the o-line cant hold them forever, but its a bit of both. was great to get this win, was very very impressive.
id be concerned about the colts next week though. they dont look anywhere near as bad as i thought they would be heading into the season. itll take another amazing effort like the one today to get the win.
Irvin coming back should hopefully help, and we can hope that max and breno arent hurt too badly and can come straight back, but it wont be easy.

But thanks to the fact that Ryan has a BOOT, we weren't facing short fields on any regular basis, in fact, the two TD drives by the Texans were 90 and 80 yards, the two field goals came from the shortened fields of the fumble and int.

Personally (feel free to shut me down here), I think our defense copes extremely well with shortened fields, we're built to defend the red-zone, something we do very well, but at the end of a 10-15 play 80 yard drive, they start getting a little bit gassed and are slightly more likely to miss an assignment in the redzone and give up TDs, when the O starts at our 30 yard line we always seem to hold steady and only give up the FG

AgentDib

Reaction score
themunn":i3cun4qg said:
Personally (feel free to shut me down here), I think our defense copes extremely well with shortened fields, we're built to defend the red-zone, something we do very well, but at the end of a 10-15 play 80 yard drive, they start getting a little bit gassed and are slightly more likely to miss an assignment in the redzone and give up TDs, when the O starts at our 30 yard line we always seem to hold steady and only give up the FG
I do agree that red zone defense is rightly an emphasis. I think any "bend without breaking" philosophy favors the longer fields, though, because it increases the offensive plays and the chance that the offense will make a mistake.

Consider a conservative defense that gives up a 2-5 yard pass/run most of the time, but forces an error or a turnover some of the time. Given a short field the offense will likely put up points, but as the number of plays increases so does the chance of a mistake/turnover. The offense may get 4 yards on first down, 4 yards on second down, but then have a drop in the flat on third down and suddenly be forced to punt. With a long enough field the defense would still give up a lot of yards but very few points, and defensively this is what we have seen from Pete's defense the last few years.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
What we need to remember when considering our offensive woes is that we've been facing some very tough defenses three of those first four games. They are out of the way now and our offense should start looking much better. FO has us ranked 5th and they haven't been making defensive adjustments yet either. We've put up 29 on SF, 23 on Houston. Granted, we actually put up 16 on Houston, but that was pretty much what we expected.

All things considered, shell of an oline, tough defenses we've faced, I think our offense has done pretty darned good.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
the last time we lost a game by more than one score was 32 games ago if you count playoffs/regular season games.

Majority of those have been on the road because of the two playoffs games last year.

So as much as we have this 10 AM road concern, even if we aren't pulling out W's we are in every game.

Starrman44

Reaction score
I think the D can bail us out. We are built around the D and a running game. I think the Offense will ramp up as the season goes. We've faced three pretty good defenses, so I'm not worried.

BamKam

Reaction score
A few ESPN pundits are saying that the Seahawks are 10-0 right now.

I also like how hardly any of the East Coast media mentioned how banged up our O-line was this week.

plyka

Reaction score
Shaz":1vxn010o said:
Guys,

YES YES YES! Thank you. I literally expended half an hour attempting to get this point accross in another thread. The offense, and especially the oline, must come through. They have been sub-par by their standards.