Jerry Rice Versus Richard Sherman Rant

plyka

Reaction score
HansGruber":381tlkv5 said:
justafan":381tlkv5 said:
They beat better CBs than Sherman.

Name one. The only CB as good as Sherman he ever faced was Deion Sanders and having watched them both, I think Sherman is better.

You crazy mofo! I thought another poster took homerism to its heights comparing Tate to Tim Brown...but this takes the cake...Deon is the BEST CB I've ever seen. He completely shut down any WR he faced with few exceptions, to the point that the QB would not even TEST him. Deon may have been the best EVER at his position of any other player in the history of the game. You're smokin the homerism to even speak of Sherman in the same breath. And I believe Sherman is top 3 CBs in the league right now.

seahawk 17

Reaction score
I love Sherman, but Rice in his prime would slaughter him.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Frohawk25360":1rx0pnvh said:
HansGruber":1rx0pnvh said:
justafan":1rx0pnvh said:

Name one. The only CB as good as Sherman he ever faced was Deion Sanders and having watched them both, I think Sherman is better.
Up for discussion prime time was a pretty complete player

This is a good comparison. Sanders was faster, and could make up for mistakes better. Sherman is turning out to be more technical, has good makeup speed, but doesn't have the top end speed.

Sanders added an electric ST prescence to the team; he added points and field position.

Sherman is 10x better in run support and tackling. He also causes more fumbles. Deion was a great cover corner, but he hated to hit/get hit and was soft in run support.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
It's fun to picture what Sherm would be like in that era where a DB could rough up a WR up and down the field.

It's also scary to think what Jerry Rice would do in the modern era without those same rules.

hoxrox

Reaction score
I watched that same interview, and didn’t see any disrespect. You are reading too much into this.

Rice basically said he takes pride in beating physical corners by attacking them instead of allowing him to be pushed around. Despite that, at the end of the interview, he looked into the camera with a big smile, and said he still has a lot of love for Sherman.

hawk45

Reaction score
I don't have huge outrage over what Rice said, but my personal take is that that Niner offense was very much a timing offense. I don't know if Sherm could shut Rice down, but I do think he could be effective in limiting him if he threw him to the ground or smacked him at the LOS and disrupted the timing. Montana was an (awesome) timing and anticipation guy, not the kind of guy to throw a laser at Rice after timing was disrupted.

Hey, Montana/Rice might very well have found another way to take advantage of Sherman's style of play, they were that good. But I allow for the possibility that Sherm might've done pretty well against them.

HansGruber

Reaction score
plyka":3wuy19ci said:
HansGruber":3wuy19ci said:
justafan":3wuy19ci said:

You crazy mofo! I thought another poster took homerism to its heights comparing Tate to Tim Brown...but this takes the cake...Deon is the BEST CB I've ever seen. He completely shut down any WR he faced with few exceptions, to the point that the QB would not even TEST him. Deon may have been the best EVER at his position of any other player in the history of the game. You're smokin the homerism to even speak of Sherman in the same breath. And I believe Sherman is top 3 CBs in the league right now.

When did I ever say Deion was a bad CB? I think he was one of the best to ever play. I think he was the best to ever play until recently. But I've seen CBs in recent history who are simply better CBs - and Sherman is one of them. So are Patrick Peterson and Darrelle Revis. Sanders never had the ability to go over the top of a 6'4" receiver with the vertical leap of Calvin Johnson and bat the ball away like I have personally witnessed Sherman do.

Any old geezer Seahawk fan from back in the Knox days remembers how Rice played when he had to face our physical secondary. Nothing!! The Seahawks picked off Montana 3 times that game in 1985, Rice's rookie year, I'll never forget it because we still lost, all because of that darn Dwight Clark (who is WAY underrated). John Harris, Dave Brown and Kenny Easley totally shut down Rice, and Montana just kept throwing to Dwight Clark who was better against physical DBs. It's worth noting that Steve Largent had a better game than both of them.

When he came back in 1988 to Seattle, he torched us because we no longer had that big secondary. Kenny Easley, John Harris and Dave Brown were all gone. When Montana threw to Rice, Rice didn't have to battle the big boys. He generally lost those jump battles, so that was good for his stats. And he sure didn't like getting hit. To this day, I remember sitting in Candlestick Park in '85, my dad laughing because Rice was down on the field crying to the refs after Kenny Easley completely de-cleated his ass on a play he wasn't thrown at. The next play, John Harris cleaned his clock, and he was all upset, crying on the sidelines.

I'd LOVE to meet Rice in person so I can ask him about that. If he's so unafraid of Sherman, does he really think our Legion of Boom wouldn't bring the same type of pain that the 1985 Seahawks brought him? Because he was totally out of his element. He was crying like a bitch all day. Rice never liked the physical DBs.

When it came down to it, Rice was successful against Sanders because of his amazing conditioning - the guy was just fast the way he played, not a vertical down the field kind of fast, but really fast in his routes, able to get separation, and the first receiver I remember who could get 3 paces of separation just by juking a defender on his break. Not a ton of vertical leap, but ran amazingly crisp routes, had incredible hands, and could go get the ball against guys who weren't super tall or had great vertical. Sanders lost those battles because he relied on his conditioning and athleticism as well, but he wasn't physical, and Jerry was just a step above everyone when it came to pure conditioning.

You can sit here and wax poetic about sentimental nostalgia all day long. It doesn't change the facts for those of us who actually attended the games and watched Jerry Rice in person, in his prime. The fact that you earlier made some insipid statement about Rice being responsible for 4 SuperBowls speaks for itself. Jerry Rice wasn't even around for 4 SuperBowls. He only played in 3 for San Francisco. Those of us who were actually watching football back then remember clearly that it was Roger Craig and Dwight Clark responsible for those first two (along with Montana, Lott, etc). So excuse me if I find your hyperbole completely unimpressive, but you should at least know your history before you start talking smack to the fogies who actually attended games at Candlestick back in the 1980's.

Like I said, the reason I think Sherman and the Legion of Boom would shut him down is because he didn't win the physical matchups, no matter what he wants to believe. He was a skinny dude, super fast but real skinny. Our DBs would knock the crap out of him.

And I will never forget that look on his face on the play that Kenny Easley knocked him into another dimension in front of all those SF fans. That was so hilarious. I will never forget him crying to the refs and Kenny Easley making fun of him. So keep talking smack Rice, because you are talking to a bunch of kids who don't know the difference. Us old fogies remember how soft you were. This Legion of Boom would BREAK YOU.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
SeaTown81":3are35cm said:
Jerry Rice is pretty much the best WR of recent memory. Why should he think that any corner could stop him? Come on now. This is silly.
Especially when he KNOWS he can't be disproven,, he's got his licks in, and then ran away from the fight.
Calvin Johnson is a damned freak, and one could only imagine what he'd have been like with someone like Montana, Young, Elway, Peyton Manning, or even Favre were throwing him the ball for Years and Years.
For as many Years as Rice played with Montana, and then Young in SF, he's bound to have racked up the numbers, but for him to stand himself up as the best there could ever could be is just stupid.
And one more fly in the ointment (for me anyhow) was him wearing a retired #80 Jersey while playing for the Seahawks, BECAUSE, he didn't do it the justice that it deserved.

253hawk

Reaction score
Rice wasn't a fast guy but he was pretty quick and an excellent route runner with great hands. Had some okay QB's throwing to him too. That said, a perfectly thrown ball will beat perfect coverage almost every time, so it doesn't really matter how elite a CB is; he'll be the one at a disadvantage.

Dumb argument.

firebee

Reaction score
Frohawk25360":r5bvr8ah said:
HansGruber":r5bvr8ah said:
justafan":r5bvr8ah said:

Sherman is a waaaayyyy better tackler and waaayyy more physical than Deion Sanders ever thought of being... Just saying. Hard to be a complete player on defense when you're a horrible tackler and Sanders was notorious for bad tackling.

HansGruber

Reaction score
firebee":35m4bz2h said:
Sherman is a waaaayyyy better tackler and waaayyy more physical than Deion Sanders ever thought of being... Just saying. Hard to be a complete player on defense when you're a horrible tackler and Sanders was notorious for bad tackling.

Agreed. He would even agree with you on that. Prime time was all about the big play. He gave up alot of yards and points going after the pick. Nothing wrong with that, but Rice burned that style of DB his whole career.

Again, Rice hated physical DBs. Hated contact. It wasn't often that Rice got shutdown, but when he did it was when teams would hit him and knock him off his routes. The Seahawks did that in 1985, back when we had the original legion of Boom.

seahawkswin1

Reaction score
Jerry Rice was a bad bad man. I would have loved to see Sherman cover him with all the pulling and tugging that the corners were able to get away with back then. Rice would have beat him some games, but not every game (Catch streak would still be his). With that said with the rules of today I would go with Rice. Rice had to deal with all the pulling, pushing, tugging and was domainate. Sure the coverages are more advances then they were 20 years ago, but good route runners get open in all eras. Also we are talking one on one not secondary vs Rice. This is why the good running teams are starting to make a comeback, it takes a secondary to stop great recievers and while everyone is worried about getting burned by the pass, teams like the Hawks, Ravens and Niners beat them up with the run.

BASF

Reaction score
Hawks46":3viesa43 said:
Frohawk25360":3viesa43 said:

This is a good comparison. Sanders was faster, and could make up for mistakes better. Sherman is turning out to be more technical, has good makeup speed, but doesn't have the top end speed.

Sanders added an electric ST prescence to the team; he added points and field position.

Sherman is 10x better in run support and tackling. He also causes more fumbles. Deion was a great cover corner, but he hated to hit/get hit and was soft in run support.

Thank you. I loved Deion as a Seminole, still one of my favorites and paid attention quite a bit to his pro career and calling him anywhere near a complete player is incorrect. He was a lot like a matador in run support. He would step aside as the player ran right at him and try to arm tackle him in the pad area. It was like watching Tom Ashworth play LT.

HansGruber

Reaction score
Calvin Johnson and Larry Fitzgerald are both better, more complete WRs than Jerry Rice.

Barry Sanders was the greatest football player of all time. Totally dominated teams with literally no help. Nobody watched the Lions but everyone watched Barry Sanders. I've never seen a more entertaining player at any position.

Walter Payton and Joe Montana go on that list, too. Emmitt Smith is right up there, same with Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Reggie White, Lawrence Taylor, and Deacon Jones.

Jerry Rice was lucky to play with two of the greatest quarterbacks of all time, before the salary cap, on the most potent offense the NFL had ever seen. He was surrounded by hall of fame talent unlike anything since. Remember it was the hoarding of talent in San Fran that directly led to the salary cap.

CortezKennedyfan

Reaction score
This is what I thought when I heard this...

Grandpa simpson yelling at cloud

As a Canadian...

This reminds me of when Maurice "The Rocket" Richard once commented that Gretzky wouldn't have scored as much if he played "in the old days."

Gretzky hit back at him in his book.

look@dafilm

Reaction score
He's the GOAT....literally, he was voted the #1 player of all time in the history of the NFL on the NFLNs countdown. Not only the #1 WR of all time, the great player period. I wouldn't expect him to say anything different :)

plyka

Reaction score
HansGruber":2nfsbc0n said:
plyka":2nfsbc0n said:
HansGruber":2nfsbc0n said:
justafan":2nfsbc0n said:

When did I ever say Deion was a bad CB? I think he was one of the best to ever play. I think he was the best to ever play until recently. But I've seen CBs in recent history who are simply better CBs - and Sherman is one of them. So are Patrick Peterson and Darrelle Revis. Sanders never had the ability to go over the top of a 6'4" receiver with the vertical leap of Calvin Johnson and bat the ball away like I have personally witnessed Sherman do.

Any old geezer Seahawk fan from back in the Knox days remembers how Rice played when he had to face our physical secondary. Nothing!! The Seahawks picked off Montana 3 times that game in 1985, Rice's rookie year, I'll never forget it because we still lost, all because of that darn Dwight Clark (who is WAY underrated). John Harris, Dave Brown and Kenny Easley totally shut down Rice, and Montana just kept throwing to Dwight Clark who was better against physical DBs. It's worth noting that Steve Largent had a better game than both of them.

When he came back in 1988 to Seattle, he torched us because we no longer had that big secondary. Kenny Easley, John Harris and Dave Brown were all gone. When Montana threw to Rice, Rice didn't have to battle the big boys. He generally lost those jump battles, so that was good for his stats. And he sure didn't like getting hit. To this day, I remember sitting in Candlestick Park in '85, my dad laughing because Rice was down on the field crying to the refs after Kenny Easley completely de-cleated his ass on a play he wasn't thrown at. The next play, John Harris cleaned his clock, and he was all upset, crying on the sidelines.

I'd LOVE to meet Rice in person so I can ask him about that. If he's so unafraid of Sherman, does he really think our Legion of Boom wouldn't bring the same type of pain that the 1985 Seahawks brought him? Because he was totally out of his element. He was crying like a bitch all day. Rice never liked the physical DBs.

When it came down to it, Rice was successful against Sanders because of his amazing conditioning - the guy was just fast the way he played, not a vertical down the field kind of fast, but really fast in his routes, able to get separation, and the first receiver I remember who could get 3 paces of separation just by juking a defender on his break. Not a ton of vertical leap, but ran amazingly crisp routes, had incredible hands, and could go get the ball against guys who weren't super tall or had great vertical. Sanders lost those battles because he relied on his conditioning and athleticism as well, but he wasn't physical, and Jerry was just a step above everyone when it came to pure conditioning.

You can sit here and wax poetic about sentimental nostalgia all day long. It doesn't change the facts for those of us who actually attended the games and watched Jerry Rice in person, in his prime. The fact that you earlier made some insipid statement about Rice being responsible for 4 SuperBowls speaks for itself. Jerry Rice wasn't even around for 4 SuperBowls. He only played in 3 for San Francisco. Those of us who were actually watching football back then remember clearly that it was Roger Craig and Dwight Clark responsible for those first two (along with Montana, Lott, etc). So excuse me if I find your hyperbole completely unimpressive, but you should at least know your history before you start talking smack to the fogies who actually attended games at Candlestick back in the 1980's.

Like I said, the reason I think Sherman and the Legion of Boom would shut him down is because he didn't win the physical matchups, no matter what he wants to believe. He was a skinny dude, super fast but real skinny. Our DBs would knock the crap out of him.

And I will never forget that look on his face on the play that Kenny Easley knocked him into another dimension in front of all those SF fans. That was so hilarious. I will never forget him crying to the refs and Kenny Easley making fun of him. So keep talking smack Rice, because you are talking to a bunch of kids who don't know the difference. Us old fogies remember how soft you were. This Legion of Boom would BREAK YOU.

I cant freaking believe this. You must be a young kid who has never seen primerime play. You think revis, Peterson and Sherman are all better CBs than deon Sanders? I just cant believe that anyone who has seen deon play would utter such nonsense. Its simply not possible to say that Patrick Peterson is better than primetime if you have seen him play. Absolutely impossible, as in out of 1000 people, in a blind review, I cant even see one person saying Peterson is better than primetime. Literally impossible. I hope ive beat home the point about the impossibility of it all.

plyka

Reaction score
scutterhawk":1sorc6f1 said:
SeaTown81":1sorc6f1 said:
Jerry Rice is pretty much the best WR of recent memory. Why should he think that any corner could stop him? Come on now. This is silly.
Especially when he KNOWS he can't be disproven,, he's got his licks in, and then ran away from the fight.
Calvin Johnson is a damned freak, and one could only imagine what he'd have been like with someone like Montana, Young, Elway, Peyton Manning, or even Favre were throwing him the ball for Years and Years.
For as many Years as Rice played with Montana, and then Young in SF, he's bound to have racked up the numbers, but for him to stand himself up as the best there could ever could be is just stupid.
And one more fly in the ointment (for me anyhow) was him wearing a retired #80 Jersey while playing for the Seahawks, BECAUSE, he didn't do it the justice that it deserved.

There really is no question as to who is the GOAT. In football you have to look at their position as in who is the best ever at his position. There are a few players who you can say are better at their position more than any other player is better than anybody at their position. Two of those people are Rice and Deon, LOL, and both are somehow being dragged through the mud on this board.

Last post on the subject because I just cant take this type of talk any longer but there is no comparison between rice and megatron, its not even close. And there is absolutely no question between deon Sanders and Sherman, again not even close. In fact Sherman is most likely not even the best player I. His own secondary I think that goes to Thomas.