Who is our fastest DB?

-The Glove-

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":1ofx3hdk said:
Brandon Browner still doesn't get enough mention, the guy is fast when he INT's a ball, Kam tripped him once on an INT because Browner caught him so fast.

Earl and Sherman are both fast.

I just re-watched Super Bowl XL, all our DB's are faster than the players we had then. Watching Willie Parker run 80 yards for a TD would never happen against this team.
because Browner isn't that fast

OP
OP
BlueTalon

BlueTalon

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":2lkzfjik said:
BlueTalon":2lkzfjik said:
Serious question. I know people have raved about Earl's range, but I'm wondering how that translates to speed. Earl is also mentioned as one of the fastest guys on the team, but...

I'm wondering if he is somehow faster when running at someone toward him than when he's chasing someone. When Gore broke that run, both Earl and Sherman pursued him, and it looked to my eyes like Earl couldn't gain any ground on Gore while Sherm overtook him eventually. Last year, when Adrian Peterson broke his long run, it was Browner that chased him down, not Earl.

Am I missing something?
No offense, that play is a poor example.

Thomas was running with steam at Gore before Gore made that ridiculous and gorgeous cut pretty much forcing Thomas to make a sharp turn and locking up his hips for a moment, stalling much of his momentum.

Sherman on the other hand was already facing the way Gore was running as a product of a big hold on Vernon Davis. Sherman didn't have to make an ankle breaking cut upfield to recover so he was able to run full stride before Thomas could. Which is why they started out about the same but Sherman was able to gain more ground. Sherman has a much bigger stride than Thomas, and that was the difference. That and Thomas losing his momentum on Gores's cut.
Not offended at all. But it wasn't the only play I mentioned. I'm not saying ET isn't fast, it's just that occasionally (rarely) I notice him being a tad slow compared to someone else, given my expectation of him being (one of the) fastest guy(s) on the team.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
BlueTalon":naszf0o8 said:
Pandion Haliaetus":naszf0o8 said:
BlueTalon":naszf0o8 said:
Serious question. I know people have raved about Earl's range, but I'm wondering how that translates to speed. Earl is also mentioned as one of the fastest guys on the team, but...

I'm wondering if he is somehow faster when running at someone toward him than when he's chasing someone. When Gore broke that run, both Earl and Sherman pursued him, and it looked to my eyes like Earl couldn't gain any ground on Gore while Sherm overtook him eventually. Last year, when Adrian Peterson broke his long run, it was Browner that chased him down, not Earl.

Am I missing something?
No offense, that play is a poor example.

Thomas was running with steam at Gore before Gore made that ridiculous and gorgeous cut pretty much forcing Thomas to make a sharp turn and locking up his hips for a moment, stalling much of his momentum.

Sherman on the other hand was already facing the way Gore was running as a product of a big hold on Vernon Davis. Sherman didn't have to make an ankle breaking cut upfield to recover so he was able to run full stride before Thomas could. Which is why they started out about the same but Sherman was able to gain more ground. Sherman has a much bigger stride than Thomas, and that was the difference. That and Thomas losing his momentum on Gores's cut.
Not offended at all. But it wasn't the only play I mentioned. I'm not saying ET isn't fast, it's just that occasionally (rarely) I notice him being a tad slow compared to someone else, given my expectation of him being (one of the) fastest guy(s) on the team.

We play the most single high safety of all the teams in the league. That should tell you how fast and how much ridiculous range he has

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Part of what makes Sherman great in recovery is his long legs which give him a big stride. He isn't faster than most WRs over sustained time but he has a quick gallop that can cover a lot of space.

Thomas is much faster but his stride is also smaller which takes him longer to get up to full speed. But it also helps as well as his shorter legs makes him more adept to make fluid cuts and take better angles. Its why is range is amazing but he isn't superman... he can't flip his body with his momentum going foward and burst into full stride just like that. However, if it was anyone else in Thomas's shoes on that Gore run they most likely take a tumble on Gore's cut back. Thomas actually made a nice move to get back into it. A bigger player would have likely been taken out of the play, altogether.

In comparison, its why Sherm and typically the LoB has trouble against small burners at WR. Their overall length plus great coaching will always allow them to compete but they aren't able to consistently match the cuts in their footwork when a smaller WR accelerates and decellerates on a dime then hits the NOS button.

Same thing Browner, he's not typically fast but his long legs can cover a lot of ground, so for instance in 2012 vs the Vikings when Adrian Peterson dialed it down thinking he was in for the score, Browner was able to catch up and make the tackle. He definately looked insanely fast but it was optical illusion of Peterson slowing up and Browner pushing his max speed in full stride.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Also, any team would be smart to hire Titus Young, just for a week during any Play-Off match-up against the Seahawks.

Not sure if he's eligible though... I think got the 1 year ban.

bigwrm

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":3nu33juq said:
Part of what makes Sherman great in recovery is his long legs which give him a big stride. He isn't faster than most WRs over sustained time but he has a quick gallop that can cover a lot of space.

Thomas is much faster but his stride is also smaller which takes him longer to get up to full speed.

I feel like you have that backwards. It seems like players with shorter strides are able to accelerate more quickly. It's one of the reasons why RW can be so hard to bring down in the backfield but someone like Kaepernick is so dangerous once he gets up to full speed in the open field. Or look at Usain Bolt. Not a great initial drive/acceleration phase but blows everyone away at around 60m once he gets up to full speed.

chris98251

Reaction score
Agree on short having burst and top end speed quicker, Sherm takes a bit to get going but once he gets there can sustain it longer since he uses less energy to stride then Earl with two one stride may equalling two to three of Earls. But Earl can cut on dime without losing speed where Sherman may have to collect himself and shorten it up and restart.

Kind of like a Small Block Versus Big Block.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Actually Bruce Irvin is probably about #3 behind Earl and Lane in the speed department.
Faster & quicker than Kam & Browner. Right there with Sherman and WTIII. I don't know Maxwell's speed, so can't say.
Our linebackers as a group are ridiculously fast, (except KJ) and Irvin is an athletic freak.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Definitely Jeremy Lane. In the blocked field goal last year that Sherman ran back, towards the end zone Jeremy Lane comes out of nowhere. I'm sure he can run in the 4.3 range.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Mtjhoyas":2hn13lnx said:
Jeremy Lane. He's had some plays where it's almost cartoonish how fast he is. I believe Carroll has mentioned how he's the fastest guy on the team, as well.

I was going to say Lane or Thomas. I know it isn't Sherman, Chancellor, or Browner.

themunn

Reaction score
Earl is fast, but it's in that 20-30 yard range that he's light speed. I think in terms of topping out (over say 100m), he's maybe slower than both Browner and Sherman, but very rarely does someone need to run that distance at top speed in football - that 51 yard run is the only run longer than 40 yards against us this year, for example

cover-2

Reaction score
Wenhawk":4psh1ad5 said:
Mtjhoyas":4psh1ad5 said:
Jeremy Lane. He's had some plays where it's almost cartoonish how fast he is. I believe Carroll has mentioned how he's the fastest guy on the team, as well.
I agree that its probably Lane I have heard more than once he is the fastest guy on the team. Im sure Carroll said it and the other was from a player, might have heard it on the radio.

I also think Lane is the fastest DB on the team.
Here is an article from last year that talks about Lane and his speed.
http://www.seahawks.com/news/articl...ys-well/d3b498b4-9023-45d9-9de2-5a9bc43b69de/

hawker84

Reaction score
Sure looked like Sherman is faster the thomas to me, it takes about 5 strides to get up to full speed, Thomas had plenty of time to kick in the turbo's and catch gore, Sherman clearly was in another gear at the end.. I'd say Earls the quickest, but Sherman may have better top end speed. I think it's between Lane and Thurmond though .

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
Browner caught AP from behind on what was sure to be a touchdown, that's a pretty tough task.

Still, Earl and Lane show AMAZING in game speed. Their combine numbers don't reflect just how fast these two are on Sundays/Mondays/Thursdays.

Sturm

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":kajncgb6 said:
Brandon Browner still doesn't get enough mention, the guy is fast when he INT's a ball, Kam tripped him once on an INT because Browner caught him so fast.

I just re-watched Super Bowl XL, all our DB's are faster than the players we had then. Watching Willie Parker run 80 yards for a TD would never happen against this team.

Oh god...who was that awful 3rd string DB who was in there on that play which allowed Parker to score? I hate that guy.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Sturm":1nsy640t said:
NFSeahawks628":1nsy640t said:

Oh god...who was that awful 3rd string DB who was in there on that play which allowed Parker to score? I hate that guy.

Etric Pruitt. :pukeface:

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
SouthSoundHawk":dsk85ewu said:
Browner caught AP from behind on what was sure to be a touchdown, that's a pretty tough task.

Still, Earl and Lane show AMAZING in game speed. Their combine numbers don't reflect just how fast these two are on Sundays/Mondays/Thursdays.

Yea, Browner has deceptive speed, you wouldn't think it for a big man but its there.