2013-14 EPL Season

Hawkspur

Reaction score
Uncle Si":132004xc said:
its astonishing really. Liverpool in constrast have looked like world beaters in 85% of their matches, yet only hold a 2 point advantage.

It is surprising, for sure. It shows that AVB's tactics were fairly sound (if not necessarily ideal...) but his failure to adapt did him in. Playing a high line with slow/incompetent backs against Suarez and Aguero with their talented and fast midfield support was a fireable offence. Especially the second time around against Liverpool. When the personnel were right his style was hard to beat, even if it didn't always look great.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Light weekend (albeit the FA cup derby should be fun). Thought you all could post some transfer rum ours about your clubs...

Liverpool linked with: Montaya (lb from Barca B), Rakitic and Reges (CMs), Tello (winger from Barca), Salah (winger from Basel)

I'd say those are the positions Liverpool will target. Whether its those players remain to be seen

Hawkspur

Reaction score
Salah was really good in the games against Spurs last season.

Montoya has been linked with Spurs, as have Buttner and Bertrand. A left back is the only real requirement in this window.

Shane Long, of all people, has too, with Defoe supposedly on his way to Toronto.

I can't see much happening in the way of big news, though.

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
Oh Hawkspur!

BdKGyMrIMAAYK9o.png

HA!

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Gate... What are your very honest opinions on Walcott? (I don't mind the gesture.. Apparently the Spurs fans were raining coins on him)

He's got the pace... But he really struggles around goal. Seems to slow up link play as well.

Heck of a player...but now that he's pushing mid 20s and 90k a week are Arsenal fans as patient?

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2t1vkks8 said:
Gate... What are your very honest opinions on Walcott? (I don't mind the gesture.. Apparently the Spurs fans were raining coins on him)

He's got the pace... But he really struggles around goal. Seems to slow up link play as well.

Heck of a player...but now that he's pushing mid 20s and 90k a week are Arsenal fans as patient?

He's a player with great talent and still plenty of potential. His finishing can use a bit more work, but if you compare him now to how he was 2-3 years ago, it's like he's a completely different player now. He's also become the kind of player that when he scores goals, it will come in bunches like what we've seen since he came back from injury, he's scored 5 goals in 6 appearances. He's not a complete player just yet, but he could become one at some point in the future.

Hawkspur

Reaction score
Arsenal always looked like they'd win yesterday, although Spurs had their chances. The pressure in midfield was immense, though, and, sadly, the win was deserved. I would have loved a win, but being out of the domestic cups isn't necessarily a bad thing. The squad is stretched badly with injuries as it is and we still have the Europa League to deal with. Right now, if Spurs are to finish in the top 4 they will need to play their absolute best in the league and probably have some good luck as well.

On a related, but tangential note, UEFA absolutely MUST open a Champions League spot for the winner of the Europa League. It's bollocks that finishing 5th-7th (or however it works out) is more of a hindrance for the following season than finishing 8th. I believe that they need to stop having Champions League losers entering in the latter stages too. The Europa league as it is is a joke and a pain in the arse.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Gatehawk":17gqk9dh said:
Uncle Si":17gqk9dh said:

He's a player with great talent and still plenty of potential. His finishing can use a bit more work, but if you compare him now to how he was 2-3 years ago, it's like he's a completely different player now. He's also become the kind of player that when he scores goals, it will come in bunches like what we've seen since he came back from injury, he's scored 5 goals in 6 appearances. He's not a complete player just yet, but he could become one at some point in the future.

Fair enough...I've a handful of Arsenal fans here and they seem to be over him. Bit of wastefulness and selfishness claims since hes come back. I haven't seen an Arsenal game in awhile

edit: update: Walcott's season is over. Looks like brazil is out as well.

Real tough break for Theo, and Arsenal. Ive always liked him as a player.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Hawkspur":23cvajdw said:

Montoya has been linked with Spurs, as have Buttner and Bertrand. A left back is the only real requirement in this window.

Shane Long, of all people, has too, with Defoe supposedly on his way to Toronto.

Left back for us as well.... Will see who gets who.

Buttner is a nice shout. Think united would do business with spurs again after the ordeal with the kid Ferguson dragged about?

Hawkspur

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2k4z6lx9 said:
Hawkspur":2k4z6lx9 said:

Left back for us as well.... Will see who gets who.

Buttner is a nice shout. Think united would do business with spurs again after the ordeal with the kid Ferguson dragged about?

Probably not. We can probably add them to the list of clubs who won't sell Levy their players anymore.

Hawkspur

Reaction score
Gatehawk":1b9415xq said:
Oh Hawkspur!

BdKGyMrIMAAYK9o.png

HA!

Looks like that will be Walcott's most meaningful contribution to the season. Out 6 months. Rough deal in a world cup year.

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
Hawkspur":3t4iqkm3 said:
Gatehawk":3t4iqkm3 said:
Oh Hawkspur!

BdKGyMrIMAAYK9o.png

HA!

Looks like that will be Walcott's most meaningful contribution to the season. Out 6 months. Rough deal in a world cup year.

Still more of a contribution than most of Spurs' players have given their club. Besides, he scored 5 goals for Arsenal, which only Soldado has as many. It's a massive blow, but it might not be as bad with Ox set to return in a few weeks and it could force Wenger to buy a striker.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Dont get chippy Gate....

Its a massive blow for Arsenal. Walcott, as you had said, seemed to be making strides. Wenger took a big gamble on him with the 90K/week salary.

Now he's out 6 months, Arsenal are skeleton thin in attacking options and you would have to assume blew most of what was available on Ozil.

Arsenal's reaction could be the story of January really. Either way, tough break for Walcott. Liked him as a player. Wanted him at Liverpool

InSuarezWeTrust

Reaction score
Walcott being out for 6 months is extremely optimistic. Probably be a full calendar year until he's back in full form and even then he will probably have lost half a step.

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":342a5cuc said:
Walcott has been overrated for his entire career. WAY too inconsistent and can't be relied upon as a top striking option. He's Milan Baros. Remember him? That's who Walcott is.

He was inconsistant, until last season, he's more complete as a player now and the fact that he was the top scorer last year for Arsenal, and was very important when he was fit this season.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":tep9zrjy said:
Walcott has been overrated for his entire career. WAY too inconsistent and can't be relied upon as a top striking option. He's Milan Baros. Remember him? That's who Walcott is.

I agree that any recent form is not a sign of consistency. I think Gate may be overrating him a bit. however, what he adds to a thin Arsenal attack cannot be ignored.

Nice shout on Milan Baros. Different style of player, but similar "summary"... honestly (I came across this) could you not insert Walcott's name for his?

http://www.thisisanfield.com/2013/12/ex-red-milan-baros/

InSuarezWeTrust

Reaction score
Liverpool keep pace with everyone else. Some really regrettable defending and goalkeeping, but we have Suarez and they don't. Advantage Liverpool.

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
City win again, and yet again it comes with a bad refereeing decision in City's favor. How many times now in the past month has a goal against City been unjustly ruled out?

Uncle Si

Reaction score
InSuarezWeTrust":2d6hh8ds said:
Liverpool keep pace with everyone else. Some really regrettable defending and goalkeeping, but we have Suarez and they don't. Advantage Liverpool.

and Sturridge. (and Sterling).

Great offensive performance and another milestone for Liverpool. Unbelievably that was Liverpool's first win at the Brittania in the PL era (including a 0-0 draw in 2009 that may have cost them a title).

Suarez was immense, and the integration of Sturridge now adds selection dilemmas for Rodgers. Who to drop? Coutinho? Gerrard? my money is on Lucas.

yeah Gate, thats City's third dodgy decision in their favor that I can recall. these things balance out

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
Arsenal win 2-1 over Villa, go back top, and it probably shouldn't have been that close in the end as Villa didn't have any real threat until after Cazorla's mistake led to Benteke scoring. I'm still laughing and trying to figure out where the 6 minutes of 2nd half stoppage time came from though.