2013-14 EPL Season

InSuarezWeTrust

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1cpnb0x6 said:
InSuarezWeTrust":1cpnb0x6 said:
Liverpool keep pace with everyone else. Some really regrettable defending and goalkeeping, but we have Suarez and they don't. Advantage Liverpool.

and Sturridge. (and Sterling).

Great offensive performance and another milestone for Liverpool. Unbelievably that was Liverpool's first win at the Brittania in the PL era (including a 0-0 draw in 2009 that may have cost them a title).

Suarez was immense, and the integration of Sturridge now adds selection dilemmas for Rodgers. Who to drop? Coutinho? Gerrard? my money is on Lucas.

yeah Gate, thats City's third dodgy decision in their favor that I can recall. these things balance out

Liverpool's first win at Stoke in the PL era yes, but this is only 5 contests :)

I bet Lucas gets dropped for Allen when he's fit, playing a more advanced role.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
I'd say coutinho to cam... Henderson as the box to box and Gerrard holding. SASAS up top

British Hawk

Reaction score
Manchester City will win the Premier League this season. Chelsea, although thoroughly talented, are just too inconsistent. City on the other hand, are starting to find a real groove.

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
British Hawk":1pd15awg said:
Manchester City will win the Premier League this season. Chelsea, although thoroughly talented, are just too inconsistent. City on the other hand, are starting to find a real groove.

And what about Arsenal? City are winning games, but I hardly would say they've found their groove. 3 games in the past month included favorable decisions for City that shouldn't have gone their way and I still have questions about their away form.

Arsenal on the other hand have finally figured out the one thing they had so much difficulty doing over the past few years, grinding out wins. Against Villa, Arsenal should've blasted them to oblivion with how easy they made things look in the first half. But they let Villa back in the game. You throw that on top of the Newcastle win, and the win over West Ham, and you see a team winning games that a year or two ago, they would've dropped points instead.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Gatehawk":2oeymov3 said:
British Hawk":2oeymov3 said:

And what about Arsenal? City are winning games, but I hardly would say they've found their groove. 3 games in the past month included favorable decisions for City that shouldn't have gone their way and I still have questions about their away form.

Arsenal on the other hand have finally figured out the one thing they had so much difficulty doing over the past few years, grinding out wins. Against Villa, Arsenal should've blasted them to oblivion with how easy they made things look in the first half. But they let Villa back in the game. You throw that on top of the Newcastle win, and the win over West Ham, and you see a team winning games that a year or two ago, they would've dropped points instead.

Gate...Arsenal are doing spectacularly, but you kind of answered your own thinking. They are "grinding out wins" when they shouldve blasted teams into submission. How long can they expect to do it? Arsenal look far too thin for a title run. Many on here have said it, many pundits are saying the same thing. Its not impossible, but its just not as likely. They have a rough schedule coming up, and the battle between 1-7 will be that all points are at a premium. City and Chelsea are doing the same thing, but have the depth to continue it.

This seems City's to lose. Chelsea taking up second. Arsenal can surprise here but even you can admit they dont have nearly the depth that City/Chelsea do. Points will be dropped at the top by all three. As it stands right now, Arsenal look "the most likely" to concede more in the stretch as they just dont have the quality.

They may surprise, but it be just that... a surprise.

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":r3vlghq2 said:
Gatehawk":r3vlghq2 said:
British Hawk":r3vlghq2 said:

Gate...Arsenal are doing spectacularly, but you kind of answered your own thinking. They are "grinding out wins" when they shouldve blasted teams into submission. How long can they expect to do it? Arsenal look far too thin for a title run. Many on here have said it, many pundits are saying the same thing. Its not impossible, but its just not as likely. They have a rough schedule coming up, and the battle between 1-7 will be that all points are at a premium. City and Chelsea are doing the same thing, but have the depth to continue it.

This seems City's to lose. Chelsea taking up second. Arsenal can surprise here but even you can admit they dont have nearly the depth that City/Chelsea do. Points will be dropped at the top by all three. As it stands right now, Arsenal look "the most likely" to concede more in the stretch as they just dont have the quality.

They may surprise, but it be just that... a surprise.

Should I mention the fact that City has lost to Cardiff and Villa who Arsenal beat? Or maybe I should point out that Arsenal haven't lost a match in 2 years in which Koscielny and Mertesacker play the full 90 together? From the "experts" it just sounds like a broken record, all I ever hear is that "Arsenal don't have the depth", "Arsenal don't have the quality", "Arsenal will fall apart", and "Arsenal won't keep it up". These are the same experts that said Arsenal wouldn't make it to New Years Day on top of the EPL, but they did.

You said Arsenal look most likely to concede compared to City and Chelsea. So the club with the joint best defense in the EPL(not to mention Szczesny is statistically one of the best keepers this season) is more likely to concede than City, who seem to concede almost as easily as they've scored at times this season, and Chelsea, who's strategy against top sides seems to be put all but 1 guy in defense. I said it at the end of the Villa match on Monday, the Villains never even came close to a threat until they were handed a goal.

I've absolutely had it with this "Arsenal don't have the quality and depth" crap also. Where does it say you have to have 5 strikers, and 5 center backs to have the depth? Giroud hasn't been scoring goals like Suarez this season(almost seems like not even Messi or Ronaldo could), but then again, why would he if he's getting just as much help from the midfield. I've gotten sick and tired of those who say Giroud isn't good enough, because quite frankly he's invaluable to the team's set up. And I was worried when Walcott was ruled out for the season, but Gnabry's performances in the last 2 games have squashed that, if he keeps that up, with Ox now back, then there's not problem on the wing.

Besides all that, we all know what Arsenal does best is finish the season strong. The last 2 seasons, in the final 15 matches, Arsenal picked up 33 points(11-12 season) and 36 points(12-13 season) out of a possible 45. The problem they had was starting strong and this year they did. If any club knows how to finish a season, it's Arsenal and to say they're more likely to concede and drop points, despite being the most consistent team in the league, is not giving a fair shake to the Gunners.

Hell, what if Arsenal crash out of the Champions League? I mean out of United, City, Chelsea, and Arsenal, the Gunners have the least likely chance of progressing cause they got Bayern Munich. They go out now(and City and Chelsea go through), they don't have to deal with a midweek European excursion. And that's good news if you don't have a deep squad.

Then you look at the run in. The last 5 games, Arsenal face West Ham, Hull(away), Newcastle, West Brom and Norwich(away). Chelsea face Swansea(away), Sunderland, Liverpool(away), Norwich, and Cardiff(away). And City face Liverpool(away), West Brom, Crystal Palace(away), Everton(away), and West Ham. If we reach the last 5 games and it's a 3 team race between City, Chelsea and Arsenal, who do you think has the more favorable finish? I don't think it's Chelsea cause they have to deal with Liverpool and Cardiff away, and City has to go to Merseyside twice, and both sides travel 3 times, and Arsenal have 3 at home and Newcastle would be their toughest test out of all 5.

I don't even expect you to agree with me at all Si, you never do, you probably think Liverpool has a better chance of winning the league than Arsenal.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":3sz7qual said:

im done with him.. was actually complimentary of his club and he still throws a temper tantrum like a little girl

better to ignore at this point

InSuarezWeTrust

Reaction score
Uncle Si":u39yaqdk said:
peachesenregalia":u39yaqdk said:

im done with him.. was actually complimentary of his club and he still throws a temper tantrum like a little girl

How how about our Reds?! Do we actually bring in any first team quality in this window? Id like to see someone with at least rotational quality (in defense and midfield) brought in due to the inevitability of injuries.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
InSuarezWeTrust":oxn1kteq said:
Uncle Si":oxn1kteq said:
peachesenregalia":oxn1kteq said:

How how about our Reds?! Do we actually bring in any first team quality in this window? Id like to see someone with at least rotational quality (in defense and midfield) brought in due to the inevitability of injuries.

so many rumours out there right now, but nothing of any substance. Not even some smoke to get excited about. Ive heard Salah, Tello, Jorginho, Mvilla, Reges, and now Luke Shaw (which would be freaking brilliant)

The whole January market has been eerily quiet. I think Salah might be the only bit of business done. Shame, given that a strong LB and CDM/CAM to interject into the squad could strengthen their status in the top 4. I also understand Januarys not the best time...

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":11pfx6sm said:
peachesenregalia":11pfx6sm said:

The first two sentences were directed at you, the rest was about the so-called "experts" who like to drool over Chelsea and City, but constantly expect Arsenal to fall apart only to be proven wrong every time.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Gatehawk":9x4olipo said:
Uncle Si":9x4olipo said:
peachesenregalia":9x4olipo said:

The first two sentences were directed at you, the rest was about the so-called "experts" who like to drool over Chelsea and City, but constantly expect Arsenal to fall apart only to be proven wrong every time.

seems as though the last paragraph was as well...

Villa beat Arsenal as well if you recall, and City beat Arsenal 6-2 (thats a massive score). Arsenal havent won anything in nearly a decade, so not sure how anyones been "proven wrong every time." its not hating on one team to see another as stronger. I think Arsenals a great squad this year. but you can cry in the corner because I didnt say your favorite team would win. I didnt say mine would either. Its just an opinion. I feel good about it. not putting money on it though.

thing is, you simply cant handle when someone doesnt praise your team. not criticizing them.. nope, just saying that another team looks stronger. its old. its not even a soccer debate, just you tossing a temper tantrum. its like talking a soccer mom off the edge because her son didnt play as much as some of the other boys.

hold your breath until you pass out if you want, take your ball and go home. i dont care. im just over it.

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
Good job City, you've reached 100 goals, you still aren't top of the league though.

Frustrating 1st 45 against the leagues worst defense, who actually came to play today. Fulham gave Arsenal a good scare but Szczesny making his 100th Arsenal appearance did very well today. Cazorla was very good in taking both goals, though the first came not even a minute after the most irritating part of the game where we had 3 clear as day chances that were somehow blocked by Fulham. It was good to see Arsenal not make the same mistake they made on Monday and it's good to say the Gunners are still top of the league.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Well boys... A frustrating first half. Rodgers outsmarted himself to be honest and gave an industrious Villa side room to play. 2nd half return of Lucas and a 4123 made the difference. Tough not gain all three points but a bit of pride shown and a lesson learned for our young manager.

He needs to sort out how Coutinho Sturridge Suarez sterling Lucas Henderson and Gerrard can all play...or who gets the drop for the Merseyside derby next week

City to 100 goals already...simply astonishing. Will be interesting to see how they manage their squad with the CL coming up.

Fun ones tomorrow

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":245idlzn said:
Well boys... A frustrating first half. Rodgers outsmarted himself to be honest and gave an industrious Villa side room to play. 2nd half return of Lucas and a 4123 made the difference. Tough not gain all three points but a bit of pride shown and a lesson learned for our young manager.

He needs to sort out how Coutinho Sturridge Suarez sterling Lucas Henderson and Gerrard can all play...or who gets the drop for the Merseyside derby next week

City to 100 goals already...simply astonishing. Will be interesting to see how they manage their squad with the CL coming up.

Fun ones tomorrow

Not so sure Liverpool should've tied it up, real time that looked like a legit penalty, but the more I see the replay, the more it looks like Suarez dived(again). Not saying they wouldn't have tied it up eventually, cause they were clearly on top when the penalty happened, but it felt like they tied it up a bit cheaply.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":3lrdom23 said:
Shut up, Gate.

Anyway, United in free-fall. Moyes is completely clueless and Rafael is lucky to escape a straight red right after Vidic there.

Liverpool still look good for 4th, in my opinion. SPurs have made a bit of a resurgence, and I expect Everton to start to fall away now. I reckon City to win it all, CHelsea second, then Arsenal 3rd and Liverpool 4th. Gives us something to build on for next season.

Don't feed him...

We need two additions to push for top 4... Looks like Lucas may be out a long stretch and its clear we don't play well without a DM. A first team left or right back is well

InSuarezWeTrust

Reaction score
We need to spend a little bit here in January so we don't have to break the bank in the summer regardless of 4th place or not. Just because they might be a little over priced in Jan doesn't mean the player wouldn't be a good fit. Please get out the checkbook, John

Uncle Si

Reaction score
InSuarezWeTrust":2kqv8w52 said:
We need to spend a little bit here in January so we don't have to break the bank in the summer regardless of 4th place or not. Just because they might be a little over priced in Jan doesn't mean the player wouldn't be a good fit. Please get out the checkbook, John

Salah seems to be moving forward... but I still dont see winger as a need. Maybe if the idea is to bring Salah in to rotate with Sterling and allow Coutinho to play CAM (in a 4-2-3-1) or play a 4-1-3-2 (i think this is our best formation) with Salah and Sterling out wide, Coutinho behind the strikers and Henderson/Allen/Lucas/Gerrard rotating in the holding role?

We still need that DM to cover Lucas, especially if he is out for awhile. Would also have loved them to go after some great WB options (why not Luke Shaw?). But i think we are too late in the window.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Mata to United (announced only minutes before they subsequently missed 4 penalties to lose to Sunderland)....

Interesting purchase..on both sides. Jose really trolled the league with this one: improving a team he doesn't have to play again this season but still has matches with all the top 4 rivals (outside Spurs). Gets 37 million for a player who couldn't get on the field.

For United... Mata will help. He offers the center mid pace they lack... But once Rooney and RvP return Mata will have to go wide and put Young, Kagawa and Welbeck to the bench. They still lack any defensive grit