Warning to users: Please read

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrCarey

Reaction score
Sturm":1qvw69kh said:
RockHawk":1qvw69kh said:
Community,
We will no longer allow the usage of the word "TARvaris" in this forum. The highlighting of the word Tar is insensitive at best and bigoted or racist at worst, so please stop printing his name in this fashion.

I don't get it. How is that spelling racist?

He is black and tar is black. Saying TAR accentuates the fact that he is black in some people's posts.

I have said TARvaris before, but it was only in the beginning of the season when every damn person said "Tavaris" and didn't realize they were spelling it wrong.

KINGGRUMPY

Reaction score
Whitehurst is white... so saying his name, accentuates the fact that he is white... so we can only call him Charlie from now on.

MrCarey

Reaction score
Actually, "WHITEhurst" would accentuate that. I don't think you understand what accentuation means.

BASF

Reaction score
RockHawk":pp8xjmso said:
Community,
We will no longer allow the usage of the word "TARvaris" in this forum. The highlighting of the word Tar is insensitive at best and bigoted or racist at worst, so please stop printing his name in this fashion.

It makes no difference if your claiming to print it that way to highlight how his name should be verbalized because people tend to say it incorrectly (missing the pronouncing of the "R" syllable), because all your doing is being a passive/aggressive a-hole. In either case, please stop using the term no matter what your point is.

Thanks

Bravo sir, bravo.

Sturm

Reaction score
MrCarey":3ovix0t1 said:
Sturm":3ovix0t1 said:
RockHawk":3ovix0t1 said:
Community,

I don't get it. How is that spelling racist?

He is black and tar is black. Saying TAR accentuates the fact that he is black in some people's posts.

I have said TARvaris before, but it was only in the beginning of the season when every damn person said "Tavaris" and didn't realize they were spelling it wrong.

Wow...I guess when you go looking that hard for racism, you're sure to find someone to point the finger at.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
Obviously not everyone was ill intentioned when typing his name like that. But there's no doubt in my mind some were, which is enough to put an end to it.

CANHawk

Reaction score
KINGGRUMPY":1dp7dp5o said:
Am I still allowed to call CBJ "Whiteface"?

I call him Charlie Whiteknuckles. Beccuse when he's in there, I'm so tense that he's going to do something stupid my knuckles turn white.

And good post Shark. Agree with you 100%. Sometimes the PC crowd goes way overboard (manholes to "person holes", Merry Christmas to "Happy Holidays" etc.) but with stuff like this they get it right. Better to be over-sensitive to it. The alternative is horrifying.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I applaud this move. Below is some text from the old WIKI as to why it isn't a kind term. Is it based on excess sensitivity? Maybe. And so what? When within your power to not offend, please do so. Besides, Rock's site, Rock's rules.

Racial element in modern usage

Although the term's provenance rests in African folklore (i.e., the gum doll Anansi created to trap Mmoatia, the dwarf), some Americans now consider "tar baby" to have negative connotations revolving around pejorative images of African Americans.[7] The Oxford English Dictionary indeed lists "tar baby" as a derogatory term for a black or a Maori.[8] Due to this perception of racial overtones behind the term, several United States politicians--including presidential candidates John McCain, John Kerry, and Mitt Romney--have received public criticism in recent years from civil rights leaders, members of the popular daily media, and fellow politicians after using the "tar baby" metaphor.[9][10][11][12][13][14][15][16][17][18][19] This racist connotation has been said to be largely restricted to parts of the United States [20]. In other countries the phrase continues in mainstream use to refer to problems of an intractable nature worsened by intervention [21].

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
CANHawk":372187nw said:
KINGGRUMPY":372187nw said:
Am I still allowed to call CBJ "Whiteface"?

I call him Charlie Whiteknuckles. Beccuse when he's in there, I'm so tense that he's going to do something stupid my knuckles turn white.....................

My buddy and I have taken to calling him Whitehead, like a zit, cuz his play fits the tag.

taz291819

Reaction score
RockHawk":32nmqyu8 said:
It makes no difference if your claiming to print it that way to highlight how his name should be verbalized because people tend to say it incorrectly (missing the pronouncing of the "R" syllable), because all your doing is being a passive/aggressive a-hole. In either case, please stop using the term no matter what your point is.

Thanks

Actually Rock, I don't think it's about how his name is pronounced, it's more about the spelling. Even Tarvaris pronounces his name own "Tavaris". (He did that in the Real Robinson Report video) Hell, look at Favre. His name is not pronounced the way it's spelled.

And count me as one that didn't notice the racial undertones in capitalizing "TAR". Oh well, no biggie either way to me.

CANHawk

Reaction score
taz291819":4bdcji6k said:
RockHawk":4bdcji6k said:

Thanks

Actually Rock, I don't think it's about how his name is pronounced, it's more about the spelling. Even Tarvaris pronounces his name own "Tavaris". (He did that in the Real Robinson Report video) Hell, look at Favre. His name is not pronounced the way it's spelled.

And count me as one that didn't notice the racial undertones in capitalizing "TAR". Oh well, no biggie either way to me.

shoot... I just thought that was the southerngrammar...

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":20upq4xz said:
Never even connected the dots myself, but I will continue not doing that.
Ditto. Whatever. PC is way over used nowadays.

FargoHawk

Reaction score
Racial? I never would have thought that. I would think highlighting the TAR in TARvaris is more a slam at the mentally retarded. Oh well, rules are rules and I trust the leadership's judgement.

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
On a similar topic......

Posts that are titled with vulgarity included (ie: F... this, F... that) is a concern of mine when I have a young granddaughter siting next to me, as recently happened. That is also very offensive. I don't mind vulgarity used in the body of a post because it can be ignored easier, however, in the title of a post to see "F... whatever" is inappropriate and a shows a lack of vocabulary on the writers part and is certainly not language that young children should be exposed to.

Can that be banned too?

CityHawk

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":dfv1a29a said:
Obviously not everyone was ill intentioned when typing his name like that. But there's no doubt in my mind some were, which is enough to put an end to it.

Then I hope those people were kicked out of .net because we don't need that around here.

Status
Not open for further replies.