Warning to users: Please read

Status
Not open for further replies.

JKent82

Reaction score
Didn't notice the connection at all. Well maybe people will spell his name right now after reading this.

OP
OP
RockHawk

RockHawk

Reaction score
CamanoIslandJQ":1htrfq4k said:
On a similar topic......

Posts that are titled with vulgarity included (ie: F... this, F... that) is a concern of mine when I have a young granddaughter siting next to me, as recently happened. That is also very offensive. I don't mind vulgarity used in the body of a post because it can be ignored easier, however, in the title of a post to see "F... whatever" is inappropriate and a shows a lack of vocabulary on the writers part and is certainly not language that young children should be exposed to.

Can that be banned too?

Using anything like this, or any version of the F word isn't allowed in any forum except the smack shack, & PWR forums in any form. You should never see anything like that in the main forums, and if you do, report it immediately and it will be handled ASAP.

As for the shack, people should know never to go there with anyone under 18 around. It's posted in the forum description as over 18.

LymonHawk

Reaction score
There was a time when the term, "tar baby" was used in many parts of this country...and it meant only one thing.

Do I think everyone who used the TAR caps was doing so as an insult? No.

Do I think Rockhawk went overboard here? IMHO, IT DOESN'T MATTER IF I AGREE WITH HIM! This board is not a democracy (trust me I know). This is Rock's playground and if you don't like the rules, there's the door.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
Wow. It's not my site so I won't rag about this decision, but since I'm one of those who used the "forbidden spelling" I just want to point out that while there was absolutely zero racist intent on my part and that I was only emphasizing the "ar" in the QB's name (now I'm afraid to type it at all lest I offend someone) I do think this is kneejerk and a wee bit silly. If someone were using the forbidden spelling in a racist way then I'd be all for that guy (or girl) getting banned but banning words, and now spelling of words, to me is a slippery slope. I can't help but feel like we've just totally alienated all the pirates in our community and that is just blatantly insensitive.

Can we please now also ban spelling our backup QB's name as "WHITEhurst"? Maybe we can just can him "Wurst" or something inoffensive as that so we'd all be safe from racism.

But seriously, I guess now I am ragging a bit so I'll just say that I do appreciate that monitoring this site to keep it welcoming and civil is a very tough job and I appreciate the work our Admins, owner, etc, do. I get it, honestly, and respect that it isn't easy knowing "when to say when". In this case, however, I most lovingly and respectfully think we've gone a bit overboard (no offense to pirates or any drowning victims in our community).

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
MysterMatt":2xq16asr said:
Wow. It's not my site so I won't rag about this decision, but since I'm one of those who used the "forbidden spelling" I just want to point out that while there was absolutely zero racist intent on my part and that I was only emphasizing the "ar" in the QB's name (now I'm afraid to type it at all lest I offend someone) I do think this is kneejerk and a wee bit silly. If someone were using the forbidden spelling in a racist way then I'd be all for that guy (or girl) getting banned but banning words, and now spelling of words, to me is a slippery slope. I can't help but feel like we've just totally alienated all the pirates in our community and that is just blatantly insensitive.

Can we please now also ban spelling our backup QB's name as "WHITEhurst"? Maybe we can just can him "Wurst" or something inoffensive as that so we'd all be safe from racism.

But seriously, I guess now I am ragging a bit so I'll just say that I do appreciate that monitoring this site to keep it welcoming and civil is a very tough job and I appreciate the work our Admins, owner, etc, do. I get it, honestly, and respect that it isn't easy knowing "when to say when". In this case, however, I most lovingly and respectfully think we've gone a bit overboard (no offense to pirates or any drowning victims in our community).
+1 This.

LymonHawk

Reaction score
MysterMatt":xpiuk5rx said:

Here's the problem MMatt: How are the mods/Mark to tell when it's being used in a racist manner and when it's not? How do you make the decision on whom to ban and whom to not ban? I don't think Mark wants to have to make that decision...do you blame him?

And here's another thought: Don't folks realize we have 'brothers' and 'sisters' who are members of this site and have been for a very long time? I try not to insult my friends...YMMV.

General Manager

Reaction score
MysterMatt":suk3p5wx said:

I completly disagree highlighting '' TAR'' is derogatory when your talking about a Black QB , you know better than that and if you didn't now you do. You can claim ignorance but i'm not buying it.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
By "brothers" and "sisters" are you really trying to say that we have African American people who are members of this site? Or are we not allowed to say that, either? Look, Brian, I'm not trying to turn this into a debate and I've said my bit already. Stil, to answer your question I'll just say this: they shouldn't. Lots of benign words can be racist, sexist, homophobic, threatening, or just plain ol' hateful and it is wasted effort to try to control how they get used in every instance (which is what you are doing when you ban them) and by going down this path that the owner/mods of this board have chosen we'll now have to consider eliminating all sorts of things. Offhand, I'd say that since we don't like how emphasizing the first three letters of our QB-who-must-not-be-named might be used, then we should also ban any reference to drinking a "40", eating watermelon, being on our periods (sexist, not racist), or describing a play or coaching decision as "retarded" (especially if the coach in question is a "brother" or "sister").

Hate is what turns words vicious and I just can't help thinking we're better off not getting hung up on their trivial use, or spelling, and instead actually addressing situations where hate is clear. Good intentions do not justify certain knee-jerk decisions.

Cheers, and please again note that I'm just stating my opinion...no intent to offend anyone, anywhere. Ever.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
General Manager":25l7e1dc said:
I completly disagree highlighting '' TAR'' is derogatory when your talking about a Black QB , you know beeter than that and if you didn't now you do. You can claim ignorance but i'm not buying it.
Even when people still refer to him as "TAvaris"? Sorry, you're the one with the problem. It isn't derogatory at all. Making a racist comment would be derogatory, all this is is a correction to a frequent mis-spelling our our qb-not-to-be-named's name.

LymonHawk

Reaction score
Firstly; I've never liked the term African American, that's why I don't use it. (My decision.) Secondly, we are not talking about 'lots of benign words.' We are talking about one particular term being used here.

I believe you know me well enough to know my ol' hippie butt deplores censorship...but sometimes it is a neccessary evil. Do I think you used TARvaris in a racist way? LOL! Of course not. But the problem is that there are those who will use it as a double entendre/insult'. Unfortunate but true.

Sometimes the majority has to take the hit for the actions of a few...such is life. (I've never mugged an old lady, but I think there should be laws against it.)

hawky

Reaction score
As a black man with many white friends, I can see how many of you feel. Yes, you are not racist and maybe have never experienced much more than sarcastic or distant racism. But to say that since you aren't being racist that you should be able to use it is a terrible argument.

Racism is still extremely prevalent in our society and was only a few decades ago when segregation was law. In fact, when my parents were to be married it was actually illegal in some states for interracial marriage to even happen.

I'm glad that you are not racist and "love black people" and all that. I love you too, but please, racism still exists, and it exists everywhere.

This post actually helped me forget about that debacle on Sunday.

OP
OP
RockHawk

RockHawk

Reaction score
Frankly I’m shocked by those of you pushing back on this. I’ve stated many times before that I have a zero tolerance rule for anything that can even remotely be taken as racist, and this one is well over that line. Why in the hell would you be pushing back and defending something like this when you clearly have people verifying that it’s insensitive and can be taken as a racist tone?

I honestly just don’t understand. You can claim that you’re just trying to push back against unjust censorship all you want, but you are fighting to allow a potentially racist comment!!! And for what? Because you want to be able to say it to show how people are mispronouncing it?!? Are you kidding me?

Be argumentative all you want, but be smart enough to realize that by arguing on this one, you come across as defending bigotry and racial insensitivity, and I would generally distance myself from those things if it were me.

Oh well.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
We're all a little bit racist, or so I've heard, and being in an interracial relationship with a bi-racial daughter I'm pretty sensitive to the "distant" types of racism even if, as a white guy, I have never really had to be on the receiving end of it like so many others have. I get that I never will be able to walk in certain shoes but please don't think for a second that because of that I shouldn't try to be sensitive. My only point is that if we start attributing racial connotations (sp?) to purely coincidential situations like this one with the emphasis on the correct spelling of someone's name then I think we're missing the point.

Cheers, I'll shut up for good now on this thread.

CANHawk

Reaction score
But you know what I really hate? CANADIANS! With their perfect teeth, good looks and excellent pronunciation. Damn them! :: shakes fist at sky::

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
I thought people were typing it that way to show how it is spelled. Since so many people spell it incorrectly.

We should check if the misspellings are in any way racist too.

OP
OP
RockHawk

RockHawk

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":30ioq5yl said:
I thought people were typing it that way to show how it is spelled. Since so many people spell it incorrectly.

Yes, of course we assume anyone using the term is racist. That's how we are around here. :34853_doh:

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
RockHawk":5cmg64kp said:
Coug_Hawk08":5cmg64kp said:

Yes, of course we assume anyone using the term is racist. That's how we are around here. :34853_doh:

:stirthepot:

cesame

Reaction score
How about Tarvaris?

It amazes me that people can get so upset on an internet site. They're just words. I shutter to think how some of you take things in the real world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts