Star Wars - The Old Republic - NDA Lifted!

TestMo1337

Reaction score
Trying to play but there are no servers to select from after I log in... hmm...

*EDIT* figured it out.

Galen96

Reaction score
so my computer goes up in smoke saturday night. literally the PSU shorted and zapped the MB.

So I go out and build a new computer yesterday to attempt a login and sure as shit, servers are down.

Not once did I get to play anything resembling a game... it was a lot more like watching a picture slide show at .7 fps or less. took the entire weekend to manage level 10.

I just gotta say, I wanna slap the shit outa most of the "regular beta testers." The superiority complex is astounding, considering they were completely randomly invited...

OP
OP
RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Lol, ouch. Galen - unfortunately, much of the human race is full of jerk-offs, but I think it was amplified because the regular testers had to wait in multi-hour queues to get on because of the weekenders.

You will, however, get to play again in a week or two; whenever the final test weekend is. They've already confirmed everyone who has ever signed up for beta testing prior to 11/11/11 will get into it, regardless of whether you've been in one before or not. I know that doesn't help for the weekend that just passed, but it's better than nothing.

Galen96

Reaction score
Oh, it bothers me not. I have done more MMO alpha and beta testing than most people, so its their turns I guess. It is only the superiority complex that pisses me off. You can understand how someone saying "can't wait till you weekenders are finally gone so I can get back to doin my thing" spewed by dozens of teenagers all weekend was annoying. And you can't tell me that a good 3rd of the beta group is under 18. Nowhere did they require any sort of age verification. It amazes me the NDA has held strong this far.

OP
OP
RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
They've made a lot of effort to not let stuff slide. I agree, regardless, however - it is an impressive feat, the lack of leaks. They've made examples out of people on the private beta forums, though. Like I said, one guy even got a permanent ban from it for logging in from work and home, lol. There's a fantastic cracked.com article that points out that it's really only fear of reprisal that keeps most of us from being raging dickheads:

http://www.cracked.com/article_16239_5- ... oomed.html

Sounds like the absurdly strict threats worked for BioWare. :)

(That really is a great article, by the way; read it, IMO.)

Donk70

Reaction score
Thanks to prior commitments, i was only able to play for a half hour. I rolled up a Sith Inquisitor.

However, I already registered for the next Beta weekend event.

Donk70

Reaction score
There was a website that was offering free beta keys if you registered.

I forget the name of the website. If I can find it, I'll post the website here.

Galen96

Reaction score
ahh, just make sure you don't do that if you've already participated in a weekend beta.. it could cause an error and prevent you from participating... as per their sticky on the beta forums./

Spounge84

Reaction score
Just got an email from Bioware saying that I've been picked for this weekend's beta... which is funny because I have never registered for it.

OP
OP
RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
The NDA was lifted, so people can talk about SWTOR and post pics/vids/etc. now. :)

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=630104

Today's Friday Update was a video for a level 16-ish flashpoint called The Hammer Station. To date, it's my favorite flashpoint for one reason; they cycle the best part of the Episode 1 Droid Invasion music through it occasionally, and that makes it feel epic as hell.

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYgc-kKhEnU From about 30 seconds in to 1:40 in you hear that play probably 6-8 times while in the flashpoint, and it's just like, AWWWWW YEAH, I FEEL EPIC JUST RUNNIN' DOWN THIS HALLWAY!

Rofl. If anyone has questions about anything, I'll answer 'em now that the NDA is toast.

OP
OP
RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Ok, anybody who chooses a lot of dark side options (Republic or Empire side) gets dark side corruption effects on their character's face. Pure win. Here is my level 30 Bounty Hunter Powertech after he finished the first class story arc and has Dark Side rank 3. One pic with light shining on him, one without. (There are 5 total ranks, with the effect growing more pronounced at each rank.) Thumbnails embedded, with full HD screenshots at the links here: http://www.somethingdarkside.net/dark1.png and http://www.somethingdarkside.net/dark2.png.

Also, one other thing - the armor chest piece my guy's wearing in here is poorly textured right now. Most of the armor in the game looks very detailed, (for an MMORPG; this isn't a single-player game, you can't have the kind of detail Skyrim has in an MMO) and looks good; but yeah, not his chest at the moment.

dark1_t.png

dark2_t.png

six sigma

Reaction score
Galen96":2w4nnt2x said:
unplug your computer from your router after you click play at the launcher. plug it back in after the blank server screen loads. Should fix your problem.

Six, do I know ya? Longview huh?

Ya man, born and raised (lived elsewhere during my 20's). Now I work in SE pdx so I'm hoping to sell/rent my house and move my family to the Couve.
Don't think I know you but knowing this town, I've seen you around and not known it. :lol:

Snohomie

Reaction score
I have the feeling I'm going to hate SWTOR.

Don't get me wrong, I'm almost assuredly going to buy it. It will probably even be fun.

But WOW was the same way. I just hate it because it killed every slight-sandboxy MMO out there, and then for 5 years games can be broken into two categories "Polished WoW Clones" and "Unpolished WoW Clones" (aka turds). I just have trouble really getting into Theme Park MMOs, even though I think SWTOR will be the best Theme Park MMO out there.

OP
OP
RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Snohomie":1pja4qh2 said:
I have the feeling I'm going to hate SWTOR.

Don't get me wrong, I'm almost assuredly going to buy it. It will probably even be fun.

But WOW was the same way. I just hate it because it killed every slight-sandboxy MMO out there, and then for 5 years games can be broken into two categories "Polished WoW Clones" and "Unpolished WoW Clones" (aka turds). I just have trouble really getting into Theme Park MMOs, even though I think SWTOR will be the best Theme Park MMO out there.

Well, we don't really know how content is at 50; but the fact that you can realistically level characters playing frequently for a year before you get one to level 50 for every advanced class surely is worth something. I'm looking forward to simply even leveling alts, whereas in WoW, that was a suicide-inducing job; haha.

TestMo1337

Reaction score
Got another invite to SW:ToR. Site is getting hammered and I can't login correctly due to some dumb security question that won't pass.

No clue if it's a weekend thing or unlimited... hopefully it's a little longer.

OP
OP
RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Just the huge, final weekend beta. Their site's definitely getting hammered at present, though I wouldn't think the security question's related to that; unless by "won't pass" you mean it's timing out or having a technical issue, versus being answered incorrectly. ;)

TestMo1337

Reaction score
It won't accept my answer to the security question.

In my e-mail it didn't mention anything about it being only for the weekend but I can't verify without logging into the account.

*EDIT*

Systems all kinds of borked...

It's asking me security questions I didn't fill out and it randomly gave me access even though I kept answering the same.

Latest posts