Star Wars - The Old Republic - NDA Lifted!

Galen96

Reaction score
I'm not a WoW lover at all.. infact I haven't played WoW in quite a few years. I think it is laughable to say that at this time SWTOR is any better than WoW. Perhaps when they add some unique endgame and a revised version of space combat we can talk. I don't give 2 shits about player housing. The companions are more annoying than useful, as they count as a live player within groups. I don't like the companion feature at all to be honest.

The professions suck in my opinion. It is pretty clear from an early level that the only REAL choice is slicing, as every other profession has little to no use beyond the lower levels. Even then, it is more like gambling than a profession. Woohoo, they sell my greys.

The death penalty is absurd and removes any and all difficulty from the game. I was able to solo a 4 Heroic by simply leapfrogging through the instance. Sure it cost me a few credits to repair, but I got the job done.

Gameplay-wise, this is a WoW clone in almost every way. The class quest is certainly a step up from WoW.. I am not disputing the voice-overs are a huge step up.

HOWEVER.

They get tedious when you must jump to cutscenes for EVERY SINGLE quest. I find myself spacebarring most of the non-class stuff as it really does not matter in the slightest bit how I answer them.
And please don't suggest that light/dark choices matter even in the slightest, besides gear choices. I have played in MANY MANY MMOs, and far before with MUDS and Ultima based games.

I'm not saying that being like WoW is bad. Infact it is a great business model. Take the gameplay from the most successful MMO EVER and add Star Wars to the title and you have an instant blockbuster game. I just can't agree in the slightest though, that it is any sort of mercedes to the WoWs taurus. Gimme a break.

Snohomie

Reaction score
I get where you're coming from Roland (and AC and EQ were my first two as well. I loved AC. I'd pay 100 bucks for a well-made AC3. It's actually still on my computer). I get your point that SWTOR is a souped up game similar to WoW. I think the comment someone else made was more along the lines of WoW and SWTOR being 4-door sedans. Sure, the SWTOR has all the options and the better engine, but it's still more like the WoW Civic than a truck, motorcycle, or SUV.

SmokeyHawk

Reaction score
I enjoyed it as a game and will be picking it up on the 20th. That said, I'm not sure how long I'll sub after finishing each of the 8 class stories...hope they come up with some cool endgame besides just a bunch of raids.

-SH

OP
OP
RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Smokey, It's BioWare; I'm sure they'll come up with something, if they haven't already. Even if it takes until the first expansion, (which they've already started early work on) leveling all 8 classes is 1600+ hours of class story. That's a hell of a lot of game play, even space barring through every non-class quest in the game.

@Snohomie: I'd probably drop $250 for an AC3, and pay $25/month. (Assuming it's like the first one, and not AC2.)

@Galen: Uh, you're pretty damn wrong about the professions. Like, massively wrong. Not sure how you came to that conclusion but there is a lot of great, and NEEDED, stuff crafted by various high level professions. Companions get automatically dismissed if you don't have room for all companions and live people when you get near other live people, so what's the big deal; or are you complaining that you can't have your companion around with unlimited live players? (Which would be rather overpowered for group content.) Also, I'm not sure when you played, but a patch 2-3 weeks ago made almost everything in the game more difficult. Another thing I'd like to point out is that some class quests are literally barely even soloable with the most elite of tactics; not everything is easy. I'm assuming you played to like, level 10 or 15 in a beta weekend and that's your basis for judging the whole game? Not that judging books by their covers isn't accurate and all. In any case, don't buy the game; I'm sure it won't miss you, lol.

Galen96

Reaction score
Wow, ok first off, I'm not wrong at all about the professions. Nothing craftable is even close to as good as the high level drops... nothing... Therefore, besides convenience, artificer may be the only one with any use... The companions are annoying, they constantly get in the way, talk constantly, and are a lame way of balancing the game. Seriously, my companion does twice as much dps as me? yeah ok. who's the hero now?

I played this last weekend and solo'd a 4 Heroic.. yes, by myself. 3 levels below the heroic no less. Oh yes.. and it was after the overtune they did.

You should jump off that high horse your on and quit assuming I hate this game. I am merely pointing out its glaring deficiencies. I will be buying the game, because frankly, I like it. I HOWEVER, am not going to be giving it blind faith and preaching it's uberness as a fanboi with blinders on. It reads like a young WoW. It can be great.. but it could go the way of the dodo at its current pace. It is already catering to the casual by having this retarded free resurrect.

OP
OP
RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Some of the 4-heroics are very easy, some aren't; I don't know which one you did.

However...if your companion is doing twice as much damage as you, then quite frankly, you aren't playing properly. The only companion that can really out-DPS a player is the Jedi Knight droid and even then, only early on. (I'm sure that is going to be tuned if it wasn't already.) Vette for Sith Warrior perhaps as well, up to like level 10 or 11.

TestMo1337

Reaction score
Just got an e-mail that people can start pre-loading SW:ToR to their computers now.

Early Game Access* will begin on December 13th at 7:00AM EST, 2011 and ends on December 19th, 2011 at 10:01PM EST. During this time, we will be emailing invitations to join Early Game Access based on the order in which you redeemed your Pre-Order Code. Pre-load the game client now, so you're ready to play when your Early Game Access invitation arrives. Note that download time can vary and may take awhile.

OP
OP
RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
BioWare just screwed a lot of people with that. However, what they did that is far worse, is here:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=722366

So..let's say you have early access, and start playing. 10pm CST the night of the 19th, you get booted out if you haven't entered your serial number (not the pre-order code you already have) from the actual game box/purchase. For those that say, bought a Collector's Edition on Wal-mart or something, if you don't get it until a week later...that's a week of not playing, while the game is live.

Absolutely terrible. BioWare screwed the pooch so hard, it's nearly inconceivable.

TestMo1337

Reaction score
At PAX I asked that same question and the rep said there will actually be some overlap between when the game goes live to everyone and for those that got early access. Now this is what a SW:ToR Rep said back in the summer; that unfortunate that they've decided to change that.

SmokeyHawk

Reaction score
I'll be honest, I'm loling at all the QQ on the forums. I'm just gonna buy at the store on the 20th so not to concerned. Notice how people in SWE have already recieved their boxes? I heard because of EU law they -had- to ship because you can't use word tricks in advertisements over there. So the 15th is the official launch day in EU.

-SH

Snohomie

Reaction score
So I heard all sorts of "unplayable" complaints about the beta, due to framerate issues etc. Has that been repaired significantly by the end of beta?

Finally starting to research it. I'm still not sure if the game will be one I will spend a lot of time with, but there really isn't anything compelling coming out until TERA (and I heard the Koren version of the game was pretty mediocre) and ArchAge, so this game must be worth a shot.

Fanbois: Is there a good site to get myself caught up to speed on how things actually work (I've learned not to trust the main site for MMOs, and forum are always unreadable this close to release)? I am kind of leaning towards an Imperial Agent-Sniper atm, but I want to do some research. I may go healer again too if they've done anything fun with them in this game.

Dietrich

Reaction score
Yeah, I didn't get an opportunity to play beta and I'm really unsure what to go with. Always enjoyed casters in WoW, currently playing an elemental shaman. What's my best bet as far as something similar to that?

OP
OP
RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Snohomie, I'm not sure what unplayable comments you are referring to. (Probably people just bitching that had craptastic video cards, I'm guessing.) It definitely wasn't optimized well until sometime in October; but it was fine as of whatever build it was that provided a considerable FPS boost. There was still the issue for a while after that where, if you ran multiple monitors in Windows, it would MURDER your frame rate; but that got fixed.

For sites to read up on, my favorite is http://www.darthhater.com. Also: http://www.askajedi.com, http://www.corellianrun.com and http://www.torwars.com.

Healing in this game is actually fun, in my opinion, Snohomie. I hated healing in WoW. They've managed to make it more interactive and fun in this game, IMO. If you're an Imperial Agent Operative healer, you have an energy bar similar to Rogues in WoW, but they added an interesting mechanic which really changes a lot of things in terms of efficiency, what you use and when, etc.; the first 3rd of your energy bar, it regenerates at a quick rate. Once you get into the 33-66% remaining range, the rate at which it regenerates slows down by a good amount. Then, if you're really pissing away your energy (I don't remember if it's called energy or not, though) and you get it down to the 0-32% left range, regeneration rate of it is way slower. It penalizes you for not being efficient. It really makes for an interesting mechanic. All the non-force classes have a mechanic like this with their main energy/heat mechanic. In WoW healer terms, I guess you could think of it as having a permanent innervate on you from 67-100% full energy, a half-effectiveness innervate from 33-66%, and no innervate from 0-32%.

Operatives and Mercenaries also get an ability that doesn't use any energy/heat that is a small channeled heal, which is intended to be used kind of in between casting good heals that actually use energy/heat. There are various tweaks that just make it more enjoyable than healing with any class in WoW, in my opinion.

@Dietrich: Sith Inquisitor Sorcerer on the Empire side, Jedi Consular Sage on the Republic side. Each side literally only has one caster. However, almost all of the non-force classes are ranged, so I wouldn't keep yourself locked into being a caster, honestly.

Dietrich

Reaction score
Oh yeah I'm not deadset on being a caster. If there's another class with a similar play style I'd totally be in for that.

SmokeyHawk

Reaction score
Snoho,
I tried my 1st beta weekend with onboard intel graphics...yeah didn't work, it tried really hard; but wasn't happening. So I ran down to worstbuy and bought a $65 "galaxy gt440". Ran fine. This is on a 3 yo AMD athelon x2 (so 2.8gHz x2 AMD chip) with 2gigs of RAM. The people complaining about stuff probably either have other issues with their hardware or have massive pron malware/bloatware issues. I am running XP, this might make a dif too? My rig is strictly for gaming too, nothing installed but XP and games I want to play. I never ran the FPS widget; but didn't notice any slowdowns.
I would play your preferred class first, then go through the class quests of the others once at 50 of your preferred. You might find you like something else better? Either way you'd be doing yourself a disservice if you don't do the class quests of each class....they put a lot of money into that voice acting! hehe

-SH

edit: Not sure exactly what my CPU is, I know the bios says 2.8gHz and I'm pretty sure it's an AMD Athelon 3800+(64), it's old though.

Galen96

Reaction score
wow, I had a 4000+ that went kapoot over a year ago...

just built a new system that destroys the game on 16x AA

OP
OP
RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
My guild has been assigned to the server Warriors of the Shadow, in case anyone wants to roll on it. (West cost PvP server, Empire side.)

The guild I'm in is one I've been in for a long time with a number of friends in it across multiple MMOs and we don't just randomly invite people, though; FYI.

AshamanMat

Reaction score
Ive been so busy playing Skyrim and BF3 I havent had much time to read up on this, from what I see so far it looks good, tons better then Galaxies which I beta tested. I wonder if this will be worth picking up, the wife is going out of the country for 2 months to visit her sick sister so Im going to need something to do Jan-Feb.

How polished is the crafting

Latest posts