Arena Deal thread: UPDATE: DEAL PASSED AND SIGNED OFF!!!

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Yeah, if everything hinges on just the Kings then you can kiss this wish goodbye. Man.....always getting my hopes just to have them smashed later........

Throwdown

Reaction score
Man... Talk about a rollercoaster of emotions for me. I LOVE basketball with all I got, been my favorite sport since forever, and the sonics were the main reason. I just don't want to get excited like this for nothing. Everyones saying the right things, but we ultimately don't control the outcome of the situation.

SeaTown81

Reaction score
Throwdown":3a9c509f said:
Man... Talk about a rollercoaster of emotions for me. I LOVE basketball with all I got, been my favorite sport since forever, and the sonics were the main reason. I just don't want to get excited like this for nothing. Everyones saying the right things, but we ultimately don't control the outcome of the situation.

Well whatever you do, do not listen to this interview with Bruce Harrell of the Seattle City Council. He was on with Softy today. And pretty much said that no public money would be asked of if this current deal that's being talked about were to go through.

http://www.sportsradiokjr.com/player/?s ... d=21806182

The biggest and main thing holding me back from getting too excited about all this talk has been the fear of a great deal being presented that asked for an incredibly minor public contribution. And that it would almost assuredly get shot down by the public. The political climate here currently would never in a million years approve of spending a dime. They wouldn't even allow current Safeco or Qwest taxes to be used. It's a non-starter.

So I hear a city council member go on the radio and state that this deal if everything works out, is only going to ask of the city to make minor infrastructure investments along with other small things. Man. I am trying REALLY hard not to get excited. REALLY HARD.

SeaTown81

Reaction score
One thing I forgot to mention in my last post. Bruce Harrell is an admitted sports fan. He played football at UW. It's still encouraging hearing him say "I will be surprised and disappointed if this doesn't go through," but it's understandable if he's one of the more enthusiastic council members.

Now as for less than sports fan friendly city council members. Every fan's favorite pal, Nick "The NBA adds ZERO cultural impact on the city" Licata is going to be on with Ian Furness on KJR coming up in the next our. Should be interesting to say the very least.

Throwdown

Reaction score
SeaTown81":3okgxa5c said:
One thing I forgot to mention in my last post. Bruce Harrell is an admitted sports fan. He played football at UW. It's still encouraging hearing him say "I will be surprised and disappointed if this doesn't go through," but it's understandable if he's one of the more enthusiastic council members.

Now as for less than sports fan friendly city council members. Every fan's favorite pal, Nick "The NBA adds ZERO cultural impact on the city" Licata is going to be on with Ian Furness on KJR coming up in the next our. Should be interesting to say the very least.

I'm gonna have to listen to Mr. I Hate anything fun haha

Throwdown

Reaction score
and I listened to the Bruce Harrell interview...

I hate this moment in time... stuff gets me excited and now tomorrow something is going to happen to keep it from happening.

jkitsune

Reaction score
We're not realistically going to hear anything until after the season, I would assume?

Throwdown

Reaction score
we'll know A LOT on March 1st. Right now from what we're hearing Sacramento City leadership might be falling apart at the wrong time. They have to have a proposal ready by the 1st, if they don't? the team is outta there and either on its way here, or anaheim, kansas city, or Louisville. Hopefully they'd become the Sonics and I can get my ass ready to buy some ticket packages.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Whoever this Jean Godden creature is, shes...kind of...stupid? worried about traffic? 3 events on day? c'mon man! Has this thing ever heard of sports and why they have seasons? doesn't the world series (not like i'm counting on that happening anytime soon) end nicely before the NBA season kicks off? Seahawks and Sounders share a venue, Sonics and the NHL team would share the venue so they'd have something worked out, max there'd be two events going on twice in one day.

Example: Seahawks at 1pm to 4pm and then there would be a 3 hour period of nothing and the Sonics/NBA would start at 7 and let out around 9-10.

Why would this lady erm..thing say something so damn stupid?

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/l ... cmpid=2727

Kevin Johnson cancelled an announcement on the Sactown arena

http://www.king5.com/sports/Sonics-139070064.html

SeaTown81

Reaction score
Yeah, the NBA/NHL barely overlap with baseball. And the NFL only brings 10 home dates a year. Not exactly hard to schedule around.

Drives me nuts when people so openly ignore the facts. Some people are just looking for negatives.

Let's hope the city council members are only doing their due diligence and will give the thing a fair shake when they get all the details.

TestMo1337

Reaction score
I have more faith in the private sector making a splash than local government attempting to draw up a plan.

Let's be honest, support for funding a sports arena with public money is a political death sentence nowadays. as passionate as we are as sports fans, we are a minority voter presence.

OP
OP
BlueThunder

BlueThunder

Reaction score
Jean Godden used to be a columnist for either the Seattle Times or The PI, I can't remember which. As an avid newspaper reader, I usually read her columns, and repeatedly slapped my forehead over her complete ignorance of anything past the 1960's. She's an old biddy that only got elected because of name familiarity. I bet the only sport she ever watched was her grandson playing T-ball and gushing "Ohhh...isn't that so cute!". She's a small-minded, goody-two-shoes idiot... at least that's always been my impression. She's the type that wouldn't want a penny spent on anything pro sports, but would raid the coffers over a new opera house or Art Museum. That's all you gotta know about that worthless bitch.

But back to the Kings thing. Don't write it off quite yet. I listen to Kiro radio at work in my headsets after Bob Rivers signs off, and both the Dave Ross show and Dori Monson have spent time every day this week talking to people about this deal. First, if I lived in Sacramento and was a Kings fan, I would be very nervous right now. They need to get a deal done by March 1st, and it's not looking all that great for them. They even cancelled a presser about the deal, covering up and walking off with drawings they had for a new arena. That can't be good.. for them. The current owners are practically broke, and they want to sell. They also owe the city millions. The city has 11% unemployment. This is gonna be a tough sell for the Mayor. All the insiders on this thing, that are talking at least, are giving it at least a 50/50 chance of happening. And I really believe there are some back-room dealings going on. Why the hell would this invester actually BUY the property south of Safeco Field if he wasn't pretty damn sure something was gonna happen? My gut says that after March 1st, Sonics fans are gonna be happy. We just have to be patient and wait 'till March 1st. Everything should fall into place at that time...........hopefully. So don't give up quite yet Blitzer. I'm not gonna give up hope until the word is officially given that we've been f'd again.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Honestly, I feel bad for Kings fans. But I wouldn't feel bad for taking the Kings. They have no control over whats happening at all and according to some figures the odds just dont look good at all, no matter how positive Mayor Kevin Johnson sounds. Anytime you ask the NBA for 80 million up front for a new arena, you're asking for problems. They don't want to pay for the Maloofs, they've already bailed them out once. So I'm hoping it doesn't happen lol, call me a jerk, I don't care! I want some NBA 'round this bishhh!

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Watching the Blazers playing in New Orleans tonight it looks lik their arena is about 1/4 full, if that. Personally I think they're more likely to relocate then Sacramento which has traditionally been a pretty good basketball city.

OP
OP
BlueThunder

BlueThunder

Reaction score
I don't give a rip what Sac thinks. We were boned so hard that I don't feel sorry for any other city after what Stern/Schultz/Bennett did to our awesome, storied NBA city. To me, there is a HUGE difference between stealing a team from a city with a lesser and kinda weak NBA history (Sac) to a city with a longer and more respected history that was unjustly robbed (Sonics), to a bunch of scrubs ripping a team from a city with deep roots and history (us) to a city with NO NBA history (Oklahoma).

OP
OP
BlueThunder

BlueThunder

Reaction score
JSeahawks":hc4ybuwe said:
Watching the Blazers playing in New Orleans tonight it looks lik their arena is about 1/4 full, if that. Personally I think they're more likely to relocate then Sacramento which has traditionally been a pretty good basketball city.

From what I've heard, the NBA has commited to keeping the Hornets in N.O. I've heard that option is completely off the table, unfortunately.

drdiags

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2mnbu0pi said:

The New Orleans Hornets seem like the logical candidate, but the NBA wants to save that market. The Katrina tragedy appears to be the motivating factor. The league is probably concerned about bad press if they leave the area. The former owner Shinn had made a mess of things there after being allowed to leave Charlotte. Aren't they good until 2014?

Blitzer88

Reaction score
BlueThunder":mktmjc93 said:
Jean Godden used to be a columnist for either the Seattle Times or The PI, I can't remember which. As an avid newspaper reader, I usually read her columns, and repeatedly slapped my forehead over her complete ignorance of anything past the 1960's. She's an old biddy that only got elected because of name familiarity. I bet the only sport she ever watched was her grandson playing T-ball and gushing "Ohhh...isn't that so cute!". She's a small-minded, goody-two-shoes idiot... at least that's always been my impression. She's the type that wouldn't want a penny spent on anything pro sports, but would raid the coffers over a new opera house or Art Museum. That's all you gotta know about that worthless bitch.

But back to the Kings thing. Don't write it off quite yet. I listen to Kiro radio at work in my headsets after Bob Rivers signs off, and both the Dave Ross show and Dori Monson have spent time every day this week talking to people about this deal. First, if I lived in Sacramento and was a Kings fan, I would be very nervous right now. They need to get a deal done by March 1st, and it's not looking all that great for them. They even cancelled a presser about the deal, covering up and walking off with drawings they had for a new arena. That can't be good.. for them. The current owners are practically broke, and they want to sell. They also owe the city millions. The city has 11% unemployment. This is gonna be a tough sell for the Mayor. All the insiders on this thing, that are talking at least, are giving it at least a 50/50 chance of happening. And I really believe there are some back-room dealings going on. Why the hell would this invester actually BUY the property south of Safeco Field if he wasn't pretty damn sure something was gonna happen? My gut says that after March 1st, Sonics fans are gonna be happy. We just have to be patient and wait 'till March 1st. Everything should fall into place at that time...........hopefully. So don't give up quite yet Blitzer. I'm not gonna give up hope until the word is officially given that we've been f'd again.

Man I wish I have you positiveness lol. I really really want this to happen as I don't my heart broken again.

Throwdown

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2ag74grn said:

I don't get it. My whole thing is if you know your team is in trouble, specifically due to the fact that the attendence for the Hornets is crap and if they're all up in arms about the idea that their team could leave wouldn't they show up?

Hell in seattle attendence wasn't the issue and we showed up even for a lame duck season.

That being said, I don't care who it is that comes here. Kings, Hornets, Bucks, Pacers, Bobcats I got no problem being home to a franchise that cant function properly in the town they are in. I'll feel bad for the fans, but I want their team.