Arena Deal thread: UPDATE: DEAL PASSED AND SIGNED OFF!!!

hawky

Reaction score
BlueThunder":2izb5e54 said:
JSeahawks":2izb5e54 said:
Watching the Blazers playing in New Orleans tonight it looks lik their arena is about 1/4 full, if that. Personally I think they're more likely to relocate then Sacramento which has traditionally been a pretty good basketball city.

From what I've heard, the NBA has commited to keeping the Hornets in N.O. I've heard that option is completely off the table, unfortunately.

Plus the Hornets SUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

Throwdown

Reaction score
Blitzer88":334ocjt3 said:
Who cares if they suck, I just want my dang sonics back.

Pretty much, but if we got the Kings we got a team whose closer to being better.

OP
OP
BlueThunder

BlueThunder

Reaction score
It doesn't matter how bad they suck now, we just need a franchise. Any franchise. Then we slap the Sonics name on 'em, install our own new front office and players over a few years and it's a completely different team.... hopefully a good one. The most important piece of the pie, of course, is how good/rich our new owner(s) would be. Pray we don't get some cheap penny-pincher that has no commitment to winning a championship and only cares about being profitable. If that happens, they may as well have stayed gone to me, 'cause I wouldn't be watching them.

Throwdown

Reaction score
I dunno bout all that, if we got the Kings I'd love to keep Tyreke Evans and Demarcus Cousins. Jimmer and Isaiah I could live without.

soohawk

Reaction score
First and foremost let me get this out of the way, having a basketball team is in no way shape or form ever going to make up for the impact of Hurricane Katrina upon the city of New Orleans, the State of Louisiana and the entire southeastern United States. Don't get me wrong it is a beautiful thing for the people of New Orleans to have sports to entertain them and for them to lose themselves in other activities to reduce the levity of such a catastrophic event. BUT they don't even go to the games anymore and the Saints run that city and always have. That Superbowl win was the sporting equivalent of their return from Katrina and helped generate a lot of pride for the area. Not that a Superbowl will ever fix any of the problems that were created during that storm but its a nice reprieve.

Ok now it is just a farce that they still have a team and get the carte blanche treatment from the NBA and David Stern in regards to their struggling interest and support of their team. Its really a sad joke, nobody wants to invest in the team anymore because it is regarded as a lost cause until somebody comes up with hundreds of millions dollars to purchase them. The local economy has other fish to fry and more important issues to deal with than a faltering basketball team which never found its place in the city upon its return from Charlotte. That is another point of contention for me, George Shinn's stupid ass should have never been able to move the team from North Carolina and Stern definitely did not need to put the Bobcats in Duke/UNC/WOLFPACK country when expansion talks were underway. They are smart basketball fans in N.C and won't buy into a poorly run team even if Micheal Jordan is still riding his NCAA championship goodwill in the state (i know he is also from there...big deal). Guy guts the team every ten days to extract a better profit margin when he is a kajillionaire.

Anyway, the city of Seattle deserves a team because the fans bleed green and gold, N.O not so much. Stern can't take another public relations hit before he retires (lockouts, relocation's, poor decisions blocking the Chris Paul trade etc...) so this is probably going to die on the table if N.O is the target. Like it was previously stated, we should get Sacramento because the Maloofs are poor and won't be bailed out a second time by the NBA. Christoper Hansen (sp?) would spend to put a team out there to compete or this entire process is a moot point. I don't think he would invest in the location for the stadium and pressure the NBA in conjunction with the city officials of Seattle if he just wanted to make money. He could start other business ventures much more easily. This is about him becoming a local hero like Paul Allen by resurrecting the Sonics and making them relevant again in American Sporting Culture. If this guy gets the team, we are going to kick ass and take names. Money will be spent and he will get all the support he needs from the fans in a similar vein. :th2thumbs:

Throwdown

Reaction score
soohawk":3v3l83er said:
First and foremost let me get this out of the way, having a basketball team is in no way shape or form ever going to make up for the impact of Hurricane Katrina upon the city of New Orleans, the State of Louisiana and the entire southeastern United States. Don't get me wrong it is a beautiful thing for the people of New Orleans to have sports to entertain them and for them to lose themselves in other activities to reduce the levity of such a catastrophic event. BUT they don't even go to the games anymore and the Saints run that city and always have. That Superbowl win was the sporting equivalent of their return from Katrina and helped generate a lot of pride for the area. Not that a Superbowl will ever fix any of the problems that were created during that storm but its a nice reprieve.

Ok now it is just a farce that they still have a team and get the carte blanche treatment from the NBA and David Stern in regards to their struggling interest and support of their team. Its really a sad joke, nobody wants to invest in the team anymore because it is regarded as a lost cause until somebody comes up with hundreds of millions dollars to purchase them. The local economy has other fish to fry and more important issues to deal with than a faltering basketball team which never found its place in the city upon its return from Charlotte. That is another point of contention for me, George Shinn's stupid ass should have never been able to move the team from North Carolina and Stern definitely did not need to put the Bobcats in Duke/UNC/WOLFPACK country when expansion talks were underway. They are smart basketball fans in N.C and won't buy into a poorly run team even if Micheal Jordan is still riding his NCAA championship goodwill in the state (i know he is also from there...big deal). Guy guts the team every ten days to extract a better profit margin when he is a kajillionaire.

Anyway, the city of Seattle deserves a team because the fans bleed green and gold, N.O not so much. Stern can't take another public relations hit before he retires (lockouts, relocation's, poor decisions blocking the Chris Paul trade etc...) so this is probably going to die on the table if N.O is the target. Like it was previously stated, we should get Sacramento because the Maloofs are poor and won't be bailed out a second time by the NBA. Christoper Hansen (sp?) would spend to put a team out there to compete or this entire process is a moot point. I don't think he would invest in the location for the stadium and pressure the NBA in conjunction with the city officials of Seattle if he just wanted to make money. He could start other business ventures much more easily. This is about him becoming a local hero like Paul Allen by resurrecting the Sonics and making them relevant again in American Sporting Culture. If this guy gets the team, we are going to kick ass and take names. Money will be spent and he will get all the support he needs from the fans in a similar vein. :th2thumbs:

Post of the thread

Michael Jordan is a joke of an owner too

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Just curious, is it a 100% certainty that when you get a new team they'll automatically be the Sonics again?

Its hard to put myself in your position as a sports fan but i was thinking if the Blazers left, leaving a really bad taste in my mouth, then the NBA moved another team back in a couple of years that I would want to start over with a brand new franchise rather then just revert back to the Blazers again.

Throwdown

Reaction score
JSeahawks":5wsbj4h5 said:
Just curious, is it a 100% certainty that when you get a new team they'll automatically be the Sonics again?

Its hard to put myself in your position as a sports fan but i was thinking if the Blazers left, leaving a really bad taste in my mouth, then the NBA moved another team back in a couple of years that I would want to start over with a brand new franchise rather then just revert back to the Blazers again.

I mean is possible, but the name and colors were left here for the possibility of a franchise returning.

SeaTown81

Reaction score
JSeahawks":pbpzfag7 said:

I have to strongly disagree on this one, J. I'm of the mind that if a new team is not renamed the SuperSonics, I would have a much harder time getting back on board with the league. I grew up a Sonics fan. I have very little interest in getting back in the NBA just to pretend none of that past happened. In fact, having a new named team will do nothing but constantly remind us what happened.

The Seattle SuperSonics were our team for 40 years. Just because we got screwed over by Clay Bennett and Stern doesn't change any of that. If we were to get a team back in town, all it is, in my mind, is rightfully returning what was taken from us. And what was taken was our Supes. I want to be Cleveland getting back the Browns, or Winnipeg getting back the Jets. I don't want to be Houston losing the Oilers, and pretending to rather have their team called the Texans.

Not to mention the name SuperSonics is one of the best in pro sports. I've always loved that all of our teams in Seattle have unique team names that have connections to the city. I've traveled in lots of foreign countries. When I've met locals and told them where I'm from in the US, you want to know the two main responses? "Nirvana" and "Seattle SuperSonics".

If Seattle were to get a new NBA team and it's called anything but the Seattle SuperSonics, it's a constant reminder of what Clay Bennett came and took away. Screw that.

As for the particulars. Clay Bennett technically owns the name and history. There was some weird contractual language about who would own what in the future given the league returning to Seattle. But if Seattle were to ever get a team, I see absolutely no reason he wouldn't give it back. OKC has no need or use for it. If I were a Thunder fan, I wouldn't want anything to do with it. It would only remind people of what happened and take away from their current team that is their own. It's the least Bennett, along with Stern, could do.

OP
OP
BlueThunder

BlueThunder

Reaction score
SeaTown, it was always my understanding that Clay Bennet had no interest in our name or history. I thought that he just wanted the franchise and left everything Sonics back in Seattle. It never occured to me that if we obtained another team it would be called anything other than the Sonics. And I say "Sonics" because several years ago they dropped the "Super", which pissed me off. I liked when the team was being announced and he'd yell SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUperSONICS!!! But yeah, if we get another team, anything other than Sonics is completely unacceptable, and I'm sure every fan in the city will let them know about it if they try to do something differently.

TestMo1337

Reaction score
The only thing that OKC will keep is the "shared history" and the '79 trophy. Seattle retains the right to the team name if/when we get a franchise.

OP
OP
BlueThunder

BlueThunder

Reaction score
sammyc521":1t9ydp08 said:
The only thing that OKC will keep is the "shared history" and the '79 trophy. Seattle retains the right to the team name if/when we get a franchise.

Wait... They get to share the f'n '79 trophy?? And the history?? Wha...How... They had absolutely zero connection with the Seattle Supersonics in 1979. I bet 95% of the population of OK had no idea we even won the Championship that year. That's BS! I sure hope you're wrong on that one sammy. That trophy is OURS, and OURS ONLY! God... now I'm all pissed. I've gotta do some research.

Their city has NEVER WON AN NBA CHAMPIONSHIP! ARGHHHHH!!!!

I'm writing Steve Kelley with that question. He's a roundball junkie, and pretty good about writing back for a big newspaper columnist.

Speaking of Steve Kelley, here's a new article related to this thread.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/s ... ley12.html

Blitzer88

Reaction score
soohawk":3fmq5xny said:

Brilliant post sir, just brilliant!

Spounge84

Reaction score
BlueThunder":1nxm8oea said:
sammyc521":1nxm8oea said:

Wait... They get to share the f'n '79 trophy?? And the history?? Wha...How... They had absolutely zero connection with the Seattle Supersonics in 1979. I bet 95% of the population of OK had no idea we even won the Championship that year. That's BS! I sure hope you're wrong on that one sammy. That trophy is OURS, and OURS ONLY! God... now I'm all pissed. I've gotta do some research.

Their city has NEVER WON AN NBA CHAMPIONSHIP! ARGHHHHH!!!!

I'm writing Steve Kelley with that question. He's a roundball junkie, and pretty good about writing back for a big newspaper columnist.

Speaking of Steve Kelley, here's a new article related to this thread.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/s ... ley12.html

They have all the championship banners and the 79 trophy. I agree it's complete and total BS, they didn't earn those, Seattle did.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Cant we lobby the NBA to get the history to be exlusively ours again?

OKC fans don't want that stuff, they don't care about it. To them they started in 2008. I thought the trophy, jerseys and banners were somewhere in storage in Seattle? just not on display in a museum because of the situation?

Atleast thats what those Sonicsgate guys say.

Shane Falco

Reaction score
sammyc521":18x2t9tw said:

I don't believe OKC keeps the '79 trophy, they get to "borrow" it at times sounds like to me. As far as the shared history goes, I am thinking when we have the Sonics back playing here again that OKC will be less inclined to "share" that history with a team that exists, even though they may legally do so.

From 2008:

The agreement calls for Bennett's Professional Basketball Club to leave any banners, trophies and retired jerseys. Those will be placed in a curatorship at Seattle's Museum of History and Industry, although the new Oklahoma City franchise would be allowed to borrow them to put on display periodically and make copies.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3545175

acer1240

Reaction score
BlueThunder":3c9xkly2 said:
I liked when the team was being announced and he'd yell SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUperSONICS!!!

Gave me goosebumps every time. They had the most electric pregame intros at the time. Pissed me off when they dropped the "super" as well.

NoChops

Reaction score
I will never watch the NBA again by choice, in fact I have only seen a quarter or so since 2008. Never ever again. Oh and Blazer fans, have a number for you..98-94 with or without a team, we own I-5 suckers!

Latest posts