Arena Deal thread: UPDATE: DEAL PASSED AND SIGNED OFF!!!

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Man...the more and more I look into this situation, the less and less confident I am that we will get either an NHL or NBA team. I mean just listening to Paul Silvi's Northwest Sports Tonight, he said that he doubts that any team will come to Seattle.

TestMo1337

Reaction score
Too many "if's" in this scenario.

Case-in-point, the NBA/NHL is entirely attracted to the idea that we build a new arena. If that means a new arena in Sacramento, Seattle, or Anaheim neither league cares where as long as it's fancy and new.

I have no problem with any local analyst being a realist when it comes to the likelihood of the NBA/NHL coming to Seattle. Everyone's made it perfectly clear, only if/when an arena is going to be built will either league come.

What really amazing and confusing at the same time is that the league will make more of its money off TV contracts than it will with any revenue created from the arena... but that never stopped the NBA from building its league on a shakey foundation.

OP
OP
BlueThunder

BlueThunder

Reaction score
Shaddup!

http://www.sacbee.com/2012/02/13/426061 ... -keep.html

http://www.sacbee.com/2012/02/13/426148 ... oping.html

http://www.sacbee.com/2012/02/13/426148 ... kings.html

Piss off Sac. We were screwed, now it's your turn (hopefully). If you do lose your team to Seattle, wait 4 years, then find a rich guy to bring your Kings back. Deal with it. I'm sure we have no intention of bringing anything Kings back with us. Why would we want to?

And I vehomently disagree with this guys post.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1059 ... itys-heart

If we get the Kings, and they are rebranded the Sonics with history intact, I would look at it as a 4 year break. As far as I would be concerned they would be the Sonics, especially after we retooled the franchise in our own image. I guess expansion would be preferred, especially with all the high draft picks, but after a few seasons most people won't give it a second thought, IMO.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
I've got a prediction for you guys. If the Sonics return next season Nate McMillan will be their head coach. Which would be kind of cool to have Mr. Sonic back along with the NBA in Seattle.

His contract is up at the end of this season and the way the Blazers have been playing the last month I dont see him coming back unless they really can turn things around.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Man... I wish mac10 didn't leave in the first place. It was nothing but bad things after he left for Portland. Of course Howard Shultz ran him out like he did Payton.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Man as each passing day goes along, I keep hearing and reading that our chances of getting a team are getting lower and lower. Man and I got my hopes all up, just like I tried not to do.

Throwdown

Reaction score
The vote that passed really isn't anything just gives them the ok the sell those parking areas. From what I hear its still a long way for sactown to go before anythings ok'd about a new arena for sacramento. They still need the nba to fit an $80 million bill, do you really think they'd do that? When they wouldn't put in $50 million here for a new arena?

NBA already bailed the Maloofs out once, I don't expect that to happen again, not at that price atleast.

OP
OP
BlueThunder

BlueThunder

Reaction score
From what I've been hearing on Seattle news radio, even if they pass the parking thing, there's still roughly $150 million that hasn't been accounted for. They are still short that amount. I think they're waiting for a knight in shining armor to show up with the cash, but given the state of the economy down there, there will be an uproar if the city even thinks about raiding the coffers to pay for it. I'm still banking on a 50/50 chance, and I'm still optimistic. Sac is rapidly running out of time. Oh, and of maybe bigger concern is that there is no guarantee that the team would go to Seattle if the stars do align. Anaheim is still a strong contender... Which is frickin' ridiculous since that'd put 3 NBA teams in a 50 mile radius, as was mentioned earlier. STUPID! I'm sure most NBA fans in Anaheim are already Lakers or Clippers fans, and the Kings would be doomed to failure there. Like I said earlier, why in the hell would they choose to do that over a hungry fanbase up here in the 12th largest TV market? :229031_banghead:

JKent82

Reaction score
YESSSSS! This is toooooo damn good. I sure he hope we pull an NHL team too...

OP
OP
BlueThunder

BlueThunder

Reaction score
Yup, King5 news just had breaking news, during the 5pm newscast, that there will be an announcement tomorrow over Arena plans south of Safeco. This still begs the question though.... Why would they be doing this if the Sacramento deal is so iffy? There is something going on behind the scenes that we are not privvy to. I'm looking forward to this coming to light. This is so interesting! And exciting. Hard to not get your hopes up!

As an asides, the Bob Rivers Show today played a clip from a guy down in Sac that was pissed over Seattle's raging attempts to steal the Kings before they have their offer on the table. "Jeez Seattle, at least let us propose to the Kings before you barge in with a bigger rock"... hahahahahaha

pinksheets

Reaction score
Question for people who know more than me:

What kind of deal will need to be struck with the city? In some articles it mentions finding a 'fair deal' and an 'offer to the city'. Will there be something that must be approved by voters? Or what? I'm terrified of that prospect. This is why I wish we lived in a dictatorship....a dictatorship run by people who like sports.

OP
OP
BlueThunder

BlueThunder

Reaction score
pinksheets":1prqt0nj said:
This is why I wish we lived in a dictatorship....a dictatorship run by people who like sports.

LMAO!!!! I want a dictatorship run by people who like drugs and free hookers! And Sports!

pinksheets

Reaction score
BlueThunder":2ir95mtf said:
pinksheets":2ir95mtf said:
This is why I wish we lived in a dictatorship....a dictatorship run by people who like sports.

LMAO!!!! I want a dictatorship run by people who like drugs and free hookers! And Sports!
Now that I think about it....
Original

JKent82

Reaction score
pinksheets":3aomzcse said:

Yeaaaah! :p

It'll be interesting how this plays out, there's a lot of work to be done, but hey this is awesome!