EPL 2012-2013

Uncle Si

Reaction score
$14 million for Sahin? seems, well..... thats a very un-Arsenal like offer. I've been reading that Wenger is not sold on the deal... if that's the deal I can see why. They just did solid business in off-loading a 29 year old, oft-injured striker and would now be willing to throw 14 million and an even more oft-injured mid fielder?Something's off there. I see Sahin going (and doing above average) but not at that deal....

Its taken me some time to step in here after the debacle on Saturday. Christ on a bike, just find the freaking net and we're sitting at three points.. instead its Liverpool-as-usual and already the fingers are out of the ears and resting firmly on the panic button.

Its only game 1, but obviously some concerns are apparent for a few teams, including Liverpool, United (Everton looked good to net 3-4), Spurs depth and Arsenal's wastefulness near goal. Interesting reading Gate, I'm not sure we watched the same game. All true it was the first game, but the defending will get better as well. Carzola looked the part. Podolski looked average. Giraud.... well this isnt Ligue 1. He will need to step up (with Posolski). Is the Song deal complete? seems a massive loss... is it?

Liverpool needs another striker-winger to add... and quickly. It cant wait until January. The Dempsey deal may come around again, but seeing that Carroll has no place in the squad they will need to more than just Dempsey (or Adam Johnson, Walcott, etal).

There seems to be some steam gathering on Kaka coming as well.... i have nothing to add to that (except if it was sstill 2009 we would have Alonso)...

and the holders this weekend.... getting late early

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
Okay, maybe it wasn't so much as Sunderland played great defense as it was Arsenal just didn't spread the play in the final 3rd. But still Arsenal found very little room for error when it got towards the goal, that can be chalked up to good defense by Sunderland.

About the Sahin situation, if this was last year, yeah it would be un-Arsenal like. This year Arsenal has spent 11 mil on Podolski, 13 mil on Giroud and 16.5 mil(still reportedly) on Cazorla. They've been cranking out the cash this past offseason, but haven't broken the bank to do so. My only surprise is that the 14 million pound buyout isn't more.

The Song move is a big loss. But it would be worse if Arsenal hadn't gotten Cazorla before hand. Song was a catalyst in a lot of Arsenal's goals last year, and in the Sunderland game last Saturday, Cazorla was a serious player, a ton of Arsenal's movements began with him, to the point that Martin O'Neal put a player specifically on him.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
I guess this has really little to do with Sahin in specific (who by the way is now headed to Liverpool according to Madrid's major newspaper... have to love the media. Gate please dont tell me its wrong. i'm well aware of the ridiculousness of the saga).

Gate seems surprised that the buyout clause for Sahin is only 14 million. This for a player who was bought for 12 and hasnt yet played for Real due to major injury. And yet his value goes up? (this to me is the major catch in the Arsenal deal, and why it hasnt gone through. I still see him a Gunner in near time)

(preface: I'm a Liverpool fan still trying to cope with dumping 72 million on three players we rarely use)

The reason I find the Sahin saga so interesting is the sudden strength of position Real (and Barca) seem to have over the EPL teams.

In the end Sahin is a good player and I'd love him at Liverpool, but the speculation over one player sitting on RM's bench is astonishing

Hawkspur

Reaction score
I think the disparity between the fees is even bigger, Si. I think Madrid signed Sahin for around £8mil. I blame the fact that the fee has gone up so much, despite the negative factors that you mention, on Chelsea, Man City and Liverpool for paying well over the odds for players. Other clubs must think British clubs are muppets. We have a problem at Spurs at the moment which is that Madrid know that Modric wants to join and as such Spurs are in a weak position. The fee that Madrid are supposedly willing to pay for Modric is roughly 75% of the cost of the (inferior) players that we've been pursuing. To use Moutinho as an example, Porto apparently won't let him go for less than £35mil, while Madrid are willing to up to £27m for Modric. We saw at the Euros that Modric is a better player. There have been other similar examples too. I don't blame Porto and these other clubs for naming a high price for their player, but when Modric signed an extension 15 months ago it was because Spurs wanted to be able to get market value for him.

In short, Madrid and Barca know that they don't need to convince players to join, and largely because of the extravagant spending of the 3 clubs mentioned above, foreign clubs now look at English buyers and add 50% to their asking price, kind of like if you accidentally mention that the catering or flowers are for a wedding.

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1x883h0e said:
I guess this has really little to do with Sahin in specific (who by the way is now headed to Liverpool according to Madrid's major newspaper... have to love the media. Gate please dont tell me its wrong. i'm well aware of the ridiculousness of the saga).

I'm not gonna call you a liar cause I saw it in the Daily Mail website, which ironically said the deal was done 2 days ago. The funny thing is, other news sites are still claiming his move to Arsenal is almost complete or is done, while Sky Sports Germany had on it's ticker a line that stated, and this is the translation I got: Information exchanged Nuri Sahin on loan to Arsenal.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Gatehawk":3h1aj8ct said:
Uncle Si":3h1aj8ct said:

I'm not gonna call you a liar cause I saw it in the Daily Mail website, which ironically said the deal was done 2 days ago. The funny thing is, other news sites are still claiming his move to Arsenal is almost complete or is done, while Sky Sports Germany had on it's ticker a line that stated, and this is the translation I got: Information exchanged Nuri Sahin on loan to Arsenal.

all depends on where you look

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":20udwpbj said:
Just read an article linked on thisisanfield.com that says Liverpool officials met with Sahin's agent today. Read into that what you will. I honestly don't want him anymore. Or Dempsey. Give me Gaston ramirez. We've too many in CM right now as it is. We need someone who can play in behind Suarez/Borini and we need another winger, but I'd like to see Sterling step into that role.

Liverpool needs someone who can score period.

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
According to the Daily Mail Rafael Van Der Vaart is on the verge of returning to his former club Hamburger SV. Not sure about how Spurs fans will feel if he does leave, but it's gotta be a massive loss, right up there with Modric.

Hawkspur

Reaction score
Gatehawk":3j9it4vh said:
According to the Daily Mail Rafael Van Der Vaart is on the verge of returning to his former club Hamburger SV. Not sure about how Spurs fans will feel if he does leave, but it's gotta be a massive loss, right up there with Modric.

Despite the fact it's in the Daily Mail I could see this happening. Only if we are very confident of signing Wilian though, I would have thought. While I'm sure he'd be happy to stay I think van Der Vaart would love to go back to Hamburg. His wife works there so she'd surely be keen too. He's a classy player and I'd miss watching him, but if we can sign someone a bit quicker and younger to rotate with Sigurdsson I'd not lose too much sleep over it. It looks like Sigurdsson is 1st choice in his position now anyway and he doesn't seem the type to sit happily on the bench.

Unlike Modric, any deal here will only happen on Spurs' terms.

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":2cliqxyb said:
Gatehawk":2cliqxyb said:
peachesenregalia":2cliqxyb said:
Just read an article linked on thisisanfield.com that says Liverpool officials met with Sahin's agent today. Read into that what you will. I honestly don't want him anymore. Or Dempsey. Give me Gaston ramirez. We've too many in CM right now as it is. We need someone who can play in behind Suarez/Borini and we need another winger, but I'd like to see Sterling step into that role.

Liverpool needs someone who can score period.

We've scored as many as Arsenal and Man ure have this season...

Who was closer to scoring in their games? Arsenal should have scored 6 times in the Sunderland, and I've still yet to figure out what went wrong for Man U, I didn't really pay attention to the Liverpool match.

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
This is kind of a stupid thought, but what about Kaka to Arsenal? I'm saying that cause in the past hour that has been popping up on my Facebook news feed and on twitter.

Hawkspur

Reaction score
Kaka's lost his quick first step and change of pace. Real Madrid are desperate to offload him. I can't really see Arsene being keen.

Hawkspur

Reaction score
I didn't realise Sheffield Wednesday has a trampolining team.

Hawkspur

Reaction score
It looks as though our shady chairman has plumbed new depths of shadiness. Ezekiel Fryers has joined Standard Liege on a free from Manchester United on a 2 year deal. However, Spurs have paid the registration for Liege and presumably thrown other compensation (Bentley?) their way, presumably in order to avoid paying the £6mil compensation to United as decreed by the tribunal (foreign clubs don't have to pay for signing youth players on a free). Sounds well dodgy, but see you in January "on loan" I guess, Mr Fryers.

Hawkspur

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":1s481dd9 said:
Oh yes...

And Rodrigo Rios Lozano is very good at trampolining after scoring a goal. Signed from Barcelona. Scored on debut vs Birmingham. Did that celebration.

Me commentating on the moment is in this montage... http://audioboo.fm/boos/928898-tonight- ... barnsleyfc

Has he signed a permanent or a loan? The write ups were all pretty glowing. One of my good friends from back home, now living in London, is a massive Owls fan so I always keep a look out for their scores. Now they're in the Championship Steve and I are planning to go to Ashton Gate in April, which will most likely be my first trip there in the 5 years I've lived here for. How are they looking this year?

Have you seen Spurs' mid-fielder Luongo yet, who (despite being Australian) seems to be doing pretty well at Ipswich Town so far?

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
No mate not seen Luongo yet... but it's good to see him trying to forge a career in football after a difficult year between the pipes.

Wednesday are doing well but only two games so far. Dark horses for promotion I'd say.

Hawkspur

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":2xiw09hc said:
No mate not seen Luongo yet... but it's good to see him trying to forge a career in football after a difficult year between the pipes.

Wednesday are doing well but only two games so far. Dark horses for promotion I'd say.

If I was a hockey goalie I'd be looking for a new sport too I think.

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
Arsenal now have apparently pulled out of the Sahin race, the reported reason being that Arsene wanted a permanent move for him. Either that means they actually couldn't reach an agreement with Madrid, or they are shifting their focus to other targets, Yann M'Vila comes to mind there.

Also, according to Wenger, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain looks set to return to the squad after missing the Sunderland match while Koscielny will miss the Stoke game but return for the Liverpool match.

Latest posts