EPL 2012-2013

Hawkspur

Reaction score
Gatehawk":33xs3gte said:
Arsenal now have apparently pulled out of the Sahin race, the reported reason being that Arsene wanted a permanent move for him. Either that means they actually couldn't reach an agreement with Madrid, or they are shifting their focus to other targets, Yann M'Vila comes to mind there.

Also, according to Wenger, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain looks set to return to the squad after missing the Sunderland match while Koscielny will miss the Stoke game but return for the Liverpool match.

M'Vila would be a good addition. Sounds like a bit of a headcase but you guys need a good DM, which he is. Song's gone and Diaby's pretty average.

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
Diaby's good, but he's a short term solution, that's why Arsenal needs to get M'Vila. Arsenal is definitely in the drivers seat with him, Zenit pulled out after he rejected them and Spurs is the only other team reportedly interested, though there's is only recent and a bit suspicious especially since they aren't interested in most of the players this offseason unless Arsenal is also linked, Vertonghen may or may not be the exception I don't know who was interested in him first.

Hawkspur

Reaction score
Gatehawk":xe6zovfo said:
Diaby's good, but he's a short term solution, that's why Arsenal needs to get M'Vila. Arsenal is definitely in the drivers seat with him, Zenit pulled out after he rejected them and Spurs is the only other team reportedly interested, though there's is only recent and a bit suspicious especially since they aren't interested in most of the players this offseason unless Arsenal is also linked, Vertonghen may or may not be the exception I don't know who was interested in him first.

To be honest Vertonghen and M'Vila are the only players I can think of that Spurs had any interest in, and in M'Vila the interest sounded fairly tenuous. Who else are you thinking of?

I ask through curiousity, I'm not trying to be antagonistic.

Smurf

Reaction score
Based on the first weekend of play, Swansea are going to win the league and Arsenal are going to fail to register a goal.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Bad day for Rooney. First he gets sat down in favor of RVP then after coming on as a sub he suffers a nasty gash on his leg that will keep him out of action for the next four weeks.

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
Well, I guess the only thing I can say about today is, better start than last year. I think I've figured out the main reason Arsenal is struggling to score, it's because they try to be fancy with their attempts, case in point Giroud's attempted scissor kick when he really didn't need to do that. They need to just straight up fire it.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Liverpool grew into that half. Sterling doesn't look out of place at this level.

By the way... spoke to a manager yesterday and apparently the Swansea players wanted Laudrup out almost as soon as he arrived. Didn't click at all... a few protests within the squad etc. Now have a 100% record, scored eight goals and conceded none. I'm working on their next game on Tuesday.

InSuarezWeTrust

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":22q3tvha said:
Gatehawk":22q3tvha said:
Well, I guess the only thing I can say about today is, better start than last year. I think I've figured out the main reason Arsenal is struggling to score, it's because they try to be fancy with their attempts, case in point Giroud's attempted scissor kick when he really didn't need to do that. They need to just straight up fire it.

Arsenal aren't scoring because they don't have RVP. We said it several times last year, he WAS Arsenal's goals, with few exceptions.

LFC scored 4 goals and only got 1 point today. Encouraging, but frustrating.

Arsenal couldn't score today against 11 goalposts. Maybe they should sub in their bank account, I hear it's very impressive.

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":18c5b02w said:
Arsenal aren't scoring because they don't have RVP. We said it several times last year, he WAS Arsenal's goals, with few exceptions.

You're really gonna use that shit ass excuse? Come on dude, I thought you had more common sense than that. Last year, Arsenal didn't score in their first 2 games, and lost the 2nd game. Funny thing about this, for a team that hasn't scored yet, they're ahead of Spurs and Liverpool, who have scored, in the standings. Liverpool and Spurs should have won this, and Liverpool embarrassed themselves last week when they shouldn't have. Arsenal's defense actually made a difference today against Stoke, and Arsenal always have trouble with Stoke especially at the Britannia.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Gatehawk":1hu9wica said:
peachesenregalia":1hu9wica said:

You're really gonna use that shit ass excuse? Come on dude, I thought you had more common sense than that. Last year, Arsenal didn't score in their first 2 games, and lost the 2nd game. Funny thing about this, for a team that hasn't scored yet, they're ahead of Spurs and Liverpool, who have scored, in the standings. Liverpool and Spurs should have won this, and Liverpool embarrassed themselves last week when they shouldn't have. Arsenal's defense actually made a difference today against Stoke, and Arsenal always have trouble with Stoke especially at the Britannia.

look no shame in taking a point out of the Britannia, but I think what peaches is saying (and if so I agree) is that the loss of RvP will have an immense impact on Arsenal's scoring abilities. You cant deny it right now. Its why United bought him. He is world (world) class as he showed yesterday.

Arsenal will get on track but RvP really bailed them out of some games last season. Someone will have to step up... someone will.

As for Liverpool, what do you say? Rodgers new system both helped and hurt again today. Little bit too often our back line got stuck in trying to build out. Skrtel doesnt gift that last year because he never would have been asked to play that way.

2 points lost but I think confidence gained. Sterling was a revelation, and Joe Allen very surprising (as was Shelvey to be fair)

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Liverpool were better than I expected today. I thought Suarez was absolutely rubbish for the most part... then he bangs out that world class free-kick. Still lacking a couple of truly world class players in key areas for me but that was more encouraging today for Liverpool than I was anticipating.

Arsenal just looked devoid of ideas. The usual pretty passing at times but they'd get to the edge of the box and... nothing. No inspiration. Nobody seemingly willing to have a shot. Only when Walcott and Oxlaide-Chamberlain came on was there any threat to Stoke... and that's because they were more direct and took people on. Podolski and Gervinho were just on the periphery throughout. Dip your toe in, lads. I think Giroud will come good and it's not a direct replacement for RVP that is required... more it's an attack minded player who can play in front of Cazorla/Arteta and provide a cutting edge plus get 15 or so goals.

Smurf

Reaction score
2 games. 0 goals. Arsenal need a goal scorer...only one I see available (who is up to the talent of the club) is Dempsey.

They need to sign Dempsey. and they needed to do it two weeks ago.

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":zr9c2wg1 said:
Gate, it's not an excuse. Losing RVP lost your team 25-30 goals in all comps. Someone needs to step up and fill that role, and so far no-one has. Giroud looks a decent signing, as does Cazorla, but Podolski is just not very good.

I'm using common sense, it's not an excuse, it's not a reason. Hell it's only two games, we can't be jumping to conclusions like 95% of the world. There's still 5 days left and Wenger has stated they are still looking at possible signings, I do get the feeling they are after Dempsey but they're surprisingly quiet about it if they are.

If Arsenal do go for Deuce then it's a fight with Liverpool, who Fulham are furious with apparently, but I do believe Arsenal would have the advantage as they can offer immediate play in the Champions League, playing time is another matter(Liverpool still have to figure out what to do with Carroll and Arsenal have Giroud and Podolski).

Hawkspur

Reaction score
Well, at last it's over. Spurs have agreed to sell Luka Modric to Real Madrid for upwards of £33 million. We've also agreed some sort of 'partnership' with Real Madrid, which I guess means that Gareth Bale will probably be playing at the Bernabeu next season, but could also result in Spurs getting more players like van der Vaart who are surplus to requirements in Madrid.

Fingers crossed that we can now find a good midfielder sometime in the next 4 days. I really want Dembele. Moutinho would be nice too. I don't want to see much more of Livermore or Jenas on the pitch while the game is still in the balance.

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
Former Arsenal player Ian Wright has suggested Arsenal make a bid for rivals Spurs player Jermain Defoe, what do you think Hawkspur? Is he crazy or is it a possibility?

Hawkspur

Reaction score
Gatehawk":9jp50e0b said:
Former Arsenal player Ian Wright has suggested Arsenal make a bid for rivals Spurs player Jermain Defoe, what do you think Hawkspur? Is he crazy or is it a possibility?

Ian Wright is a mentor and close friend of Defoe's. He's been beating that drum for about 5 years now. Defoe's problem is that he inclined to shoot on sight, often at the expense of passing to a player in a better position. I'm inclined to agree with Rob and Smurf and think that someone who can play between the midfield and the striker like Alan Dzagoev, Wilian or Dempsey may be a better option.

Also, at the moment Spurs have just 2 strikers, one of whom is Defoe. Unless we bring in Wilian and Leandro or Remy in the next 3 days I think it'd be futile for Arsenal to bother bidding.

Edit: it's incredibly unlikely that Wright has any contact whatsoever with any of the Arsenal decision makers so I doubt that his speculation is based on anything more than his personal thoughts.

Latest posts