Arena Deal thread: UPDATE: DEAL PASSED AND SIGNED OFF!!!

3Girls'HawkDad

Reaction score
One more way the Mariners let people down.

They are really scared shitless that with more places to spend your sports entertainment dollar, that they will have to invest and become a winning organization or be the fourth most (oops, forgot the Soccer team) fifth most popular team in the City.

They have been doing the minimum to retain fans for a long time, competition worries them.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Hawk Strap":1p1og5h1 said:
One more way the Mariners let people down.

They are really scared shitless that with more places to spend your sports entertainment dollar, that they will have to invest and become a winning organization or be the fourth most (oops, forgot the Soccer team) fifth most popular team in the City.

They have been doing the minimum to retain fans for a long time, competition worries them.
That's it exactly!

soohawk

Reaction score
its sad that a farm team is trying to stop your local residents from enjoying world class basketball and hockey because they cannot put a competent team together for what they believe to be a cost effective investment for entertainment and a return in sales profits. i watched them play my blue jays last night...both teams were terrible.

too bad felix hernandez doesn't like the basketball, he is pretty much the only bargaining chip the mariners have to listen too

Throwdown

Reaction score
lol Did Burgess just give a quick little jab at the Mariners?

http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/ ... ic13m.html

In a meeting with The Seattle Times editorial board Tuesday to explain the revised agreement, Burgess was asked about the Mariners' opposition to the Sodo location for a new arena.

"I'm not holding my breath that they'll suddenly embrace competition next door," Burgess said.

chris98251

Reaction score
Funny it's the Hockey team that would be the primary competition with the Mariners, yet nobody has any idea how and when we will get a team here.

Jase

Reaction score
I really cannot fathom how an organization who's stadium the VOTERS opposed, but got it anyway with 80% public funds can bitch about a privately-funded stadium being built. It just defies all rationality.

God I hate the Mariners. How can they not realize how bad they are making themselves look? This has to be one of THE STUPIDEST franchises in sports history.

chris98251

Reaction score
Jase":2qy3vj6x said:
I really cannot fathom how an organization who's stadium the VOTERS opposed, but got it anyway with 80% public funds can bitch about a privately-funded stadium being built. It just defies all rationality.

God I hate the Mariners. How can they not realize how bad they are making themselves look? This has to be one of THE STUPIDEST franchises in sports history.

If they had a clue on anything you would think after ten years they would figure out that the run with Lou and Pat is over now?

chris98251

Reaction score
Throwdown":2xlbrih3 said:
So... Would it be creepy to put Chris Hansen's picture as my avy?

You may add a caption such as Screw ya all, Money can Buy HAPPINESS.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
YAY SONICS THREAD.

Chris Hansen is a pretty exceptional guy. Talking to him you would have no idea he was that ******* rich (and he is, that ******* rich). From talking to him a few months back he seemed to think that getting a new franchise was a serious possibility in 3 years (if no one moved). This guy is in it for the long haul and loves Seattle.

I'm glad they have portrayed him the same way in the media as my brief interactions with him.

chris98251

Reaction score
Last night on King 5 news there was a story about why are the Mariners leading the charge to not have the Arena approved.

The Mariners would not be interviewed but the story speculated that it due to Hansen possibly owning two teams and creating a TV Network that would compete with the Mariners who are planning on creating one. In other words again they are afraid of competition and are even to chickenshit to respond on air about the situation.

They are intimidated by him plain and simple, he has more money, more backers locally and will become more of a local influence.

Shaz

Reaction score
Let Hansen and his group buy the M's as well and we might actually have a legitimate owner who cares about winning instead of profits

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Aaron Levine on QitupSports last night was ripping the M's and Howard Lincoln, it was great!
Softy and Ian on KJR were rippping Lincoln as well! I thinking of packing up all of my M's gear and sending it to Howard the putz, since I am starting to really hate the M's org!

SeaTown81

Reaction score
Want to hate the Mariners and Howard Lincoln even more? Read today's blog post from Brian Robinson of SonicsCentral and Arena Solution:

There have been lots of places this whole experience have taken me that I haven’t particularly enjoyed. As a lifelong fan of area sports I am deeply saddened by the Mariners position. As they continue to show that their opposition has no boundaries I grow more and more disturbed by Howard Lincoln’s ruthless belief in territorial entitlement.

It is difficult to summarize the relationships involved in the Mariners efforts to prevent the Sonics from returning and sharing the market.

Pete VonReichbauer was one of the few Seattle area leaders who personally knew Clay Bennett prior to the teams sale and vouched for his character to former Basketball Club of Seattle owners at the time they sold the team to OKC.

Pete VonReichbauer frequently bcc’s Howard Lincoln on his arena related correspondence and spends a good deal of time at Lincolns personal residence. The two are close friends friends since the Safeco Field day’s when a group of former Booth Gardner staffers rose to local prominence.

This group included Jim Kneeland of Pacific Public Affairs who was Gardners Press Secretary. Booth Gardner’s stepmother was a member of the Blethen family who own and operate the Seattle Times.

Pacific Public Affairs went on to represent the Mariners for years as well as being the public affairs company of the Seattle Times.

PPA was referred to represent Clay Bennett when the sale to OKC occured. Everybody acknowledges that Frank Blethen of the Seattle Times also had a relationship with Bennett prior to the sale.

PPA and another agency, Cocker Fennessy have emerged as the leading opponents of the arena, leading the drive of PR against it. Rick Cocker is another former Mariners PR Spokesperson.

Port of Seattle CEO Tay Yoshitani was invited to join this entire group with Lincoln in the owners box at Mariners opening night. Lincoln has since hidden behind the ports public benefit arguments and using Yoshitani as a face for his own anti-arena efforts.

I could go on all day with this. There is much more.

Having seen the lengths that Lincoln will go. Having heard the stories of his aggressive efforts to work the wealthy backrooms. Knowing that he was willing to actively and aggressively lobby the Chamber of Commerce, Downtown Seattle Association and Seattle Sports Commission to not support the returns of this franchise I have to question if there are any boundaries which he would not cross. He wants a bigger chunk of the market for himself and is willing to cross any lines to get there.

I would never have asked this question before but think that it deserves asking. If he was willing to do all this we have to consider :

Is there reason to believe that Howard Lincoln could have directly participated in efforts to block the Sonics previous arena efforts before the sale to the PBC?

Even worse:

With this questionable moral compass could he have directly conspired with the Clay Bennett to run a competitor out of town?

At this point I wouldn’t put it past him. The thought of it is deeply disturbing.

Could we have blamed the wrong Howard?

http://sonicscentral.com/blog/?p=2303#comments

I hate Howard Lincoln more than ANY Seattle sports upper management figure ever. Not including the ones who tried/succeeded in moving teams (Bennett/Behring/Smulyen).

Hell, on second thought, I dunno. I actually think I might hate Howard Lincoln more than I hate Clay Bennett. At least Bennett screwed us and left. Lincoln has been screwing us for over a decade and continues to do so, staring us in the face while doing it. Not only in what he's doing to the sports fans of the area in trying to stop us from getting more teams. But also in how he's run the Mariners. If Howard Lincoln were to get hit by a bus and die, I'd feel ZERO remorse.

chris98251

Reaction score
Here we go again.

"KeyArena is dead and done the day the new arena opens," said state Rep. Reuven Carlyle, whose district includes Seattle Center and Lower Queen Anne. "The language to study KeyArena punts on any meaningful commitment to the future of Seattle Center."

Carlyle isn't alone in that critique.

Members of the Seattle Center Advisory Commission say the new arena would "devastate" KeyArena, throw its existing business plan into doubt and leave Seattle Center without one of its major draws.

Revision of deal sought

They are calling on the City Council, which will vote Monday on the revised arena agreement with investor Chris Hansen, to amend the deal once more and allocate additional resources to Seattle Center.

http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2019205220_keyarena20m.html