Seahawks Painted Into Corner

bestfightstory

Reaction score
http://seattletimes.com/html/stevekelle ... ley03.html

-Steve Kelly

"But why, in a season this important, with a defense this dominating, has coach Pete Carroll chosen to go with the rookie Wilson instead of the veteran Matt Flynn, who spent his first four seasons in the Green Bay Packers' sophisticated offense, preparing himself for the opportunity that should have come to him this summer?"

Cadillac

Reaction score
Holding a clipboard for four years qualifies one as a veteran?

Enough is enough with the semantics. Both would experience growing pains.

The Radish

Reaction score
Cadillac":24w4sef5 said:

Yeah, and don't forget the "should" part.

:roll:

BTW I don't think the Seahawks are painted into a corner. I think Seahawks fan might be tho.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Theyre only painted into a corner if they're listening to the fans and media, which i sincerely hope they are not.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
I love that Pete doesn't care about conventional wisdom all the time, but sometimes I think he ignores it for unsound reasons. I've no idea what the decision making process was in preseason, or if this phantom elbow injury of Flynn's (if it exists) played a factor, but I can appreciate that Wilson looked good with his opportunities. All I can also say is that, since we're all about excuses, Flynn didn't have Marshawn, the line was still in a bit of flux, and several starting receivers were also out.

My point? I'm not sure that I have one, other than to say that I am beginning to think that Pete fell in love with the idea of Wilson (like many of us!) instead of focusing on who would give us our better chance to win now.

But hey, what do I know? If Wilson played just a teensy bit better at the end of two games we wouldn't be having this discussion.

grizbob

Reaction score
You're painted into a corner only if you're afraid of making footprints. :mrgreen:

Basis4day

Reaction score
It certainly can be argued that the Hawks would have beaten Arizona in the opener. And it is likely Flynn wouldn't have made the same mistakes the rookie made Sunday in St. Louis.

I'll never understand statements like these. Complete hindsight bias.

The fact is we'll never know what Flynn would have done. He could be the best QB ever, or the worst.

We just don't know, we'll never know, and these kind of arguments are best saved for drunks and fanatics on a message board. :sarcasm_on:

SeahawksRawk

Reaction score
Cadillac":9fk655ot said:

Exactly. We need to go no farther than our own team to prove this point.

Refer to our Clip Board Jesus.

If holding a clip board for many years is the key he should have been the 2nd comming of Joe Montana/Johny U and every other qb Master that has ever played.

Shane Falco

Reaction score
I think Kelley is a joke of a sports writer and his knowledge of sports in general but aside from calling Flynn a veteran I actually agree that they should have started Flynn to begin the season. I did fall into the hype of how ready RW was and took the coaching staff's word for it and am second guessing now. I just don't see how Flynn could have been any less advanced than what Wilson has shown and am of the opinion that those years watching, practicing and learning had to have accounted for something more than being a straight up rookie from college. We heard alot about how well Flynn could read defenses and his decision making process until we drafted Wilson. Now all that's out the window?

Now I think this whole decision was based on going with who they thought was going to be the guy long term and just starting that process now and taking the lumps now as opposed to later. And there is a valid argument I think for each side on this thing. I'd prefer they would have started Flynn myself.

I don't know why this situation is so touchy between fans though. Why can't we feel like Flynn should be starting or RW should be starting? I don't give a shit if someone else thinks we should be starting RW and sticking it out with him. I can understand that too.

OP
OP
bestfightstory

bestfightstory

Reaction score
Technically, once you are past your rookie year you are a veteran. Jesus you guys.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
The Hawks just need to do what they truly believe is the best for the team. When people were crying for CW they stood fast. If they believe that Wilson gives them the best chance to win this year I am all for it.

v1rotv2

Reaction score
Could someone please explain to me how your painted into a corner with a 2-2 record and 3/4 of the season to go? Do we have a few things to figure out? Yeah! It's more like being painted into the middle of an auditorium. We have time to get it corrected.

Kelly has always been a drama queen.

Shane Falco

Reaction score
Well I'd much rather be 2-2 and 2-0 in the division. Starting 0-2 in the division is a hole/corner.

xCalibur

Reaction score
Wow, The Wilsonites love to place Flynn in that Charlie "clipboard jesus" box everytime they can't think of a good reason why Flynn isn't the starter. Until i see Wilson throw 4 or more TD's in a shoot out like Flynn has done and still come away with that win, i will consider Flynn the best guy for the job right now. If you want to be technical just being in the league for 4 yrs will make you a veteran QB. Not to mention starting 2 games and doing very well in those games. He had more yards and td's, less int's in those two games he has played then Wilson has in 4 games. I think he lost the job because in the preseason he was far to conservative, like he thought if he didn't make mistakes he would easily win the job. He didn't go after it like he should have. Now i know if he had to do it all over again he would have gone all out and clearly won that job. I really like Wilson, he has talent, but i really think Flynn would have won at least one of the games we have lost. When Flynn gets his chance, it will be night and day. He will destroy the team we play that week, i just know it. Wilson in my opinion is not the right QB for this system. They are asking him to sit in the pocket and makes things happen, but in the pocket his vision is not going to be there like flynn's would. He is just to small to see the entire field if he stays in the pocket. So your choices are chance the system to suit Wilson, or continue to destroy Wilson's career while at the same time destroying Flynn's career by holding him back. Just my opinion, that it for what it is worth

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
SeahawksRawk":jmn4ajvm said:
Cadillac":jmn4ajvm said:

Exactly. We need to go no farther than our own team to prove this point.

Refer to our Clip Board Jesus.

If holding a clip board for many years is the key he should have been the 2nd comming of Joe Montana/Johny U and every other qb Master that has ever played.

Having a problem finding that game Charlie Whitehurst threw for 480 and 6...

chris98251

Reaction score
Anyone that starts a rookie QB can't be expected to be a true contender unless the red sea parts, not painted into a corner, more of not living up to the pre season hype and going through the typical growing pains of an inexpereinced QB learning his job.

jkitsune

Reaction score
LOL. "Veteran" Matt Flynn? Dude has been a backup for 4 years and starts 2 games and he's a "veteran?" He's every bit as unproven as Wilson at this point. And everyone focuses on whether he would have won one of those two lost games. But would he have lost won of the two games we won? Would we have beaten Green Bay with Matt Flynn at QB? How do we even know? How does anyone feel like they can say with any certainty how Flynn would perform? He had a great game that one time. He really did. But small sample sizes are small. They fluctuate wildly. Remember when Willie Bloomquist had an incredible September? Yes, I know, it's baseball, but the point stands.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Everybody knows more than coaches, and the backup always shits golden eggs. 2nd oldest story in sports. The oldest story in sports has to do with naked Greek wrestlers. Maybe another time.

Latest posts