OP
OP
bestfightstory

bestfightstory

Reaction score
rainger":38b99vlt said:
Seahawk Sailor":38b99vlt said:
JSeahawks":38b99vlt said:
Theyre only painted into a corner if they're listening to the fans and media, which i sincerely hope they are not.

Bingo.
Or they are listening to bestfightstory and he hopes they are

Ummm...I didn't write the article-I linked to it. It's called sharing information. Information includes opinions. You seem to have a bunch of those about me. It's kinda touching.

Twisted

Reaction score
Basis4day":o71tl3je said:
It certainly can be argued that the Hawks would have beaten Arizona in the opener. And it is likely Flynn wouldn't have made the same mistakes the rookie made Sunday in St. Louis.

He could be the best QB ever

I highly doubt that, in his 5 years he would have shown some signs he was going to be great not to mention the greatest, would the Hawks have won all 4 if Flynn was in?

maybe? that we'll never know

seahawks08

Reaction score
As a head coach, its his job to evaluate and bring this program to fruition, he may have found what RW has that would help this team reach that point. I am sure he would have evaluated everything and figured RW to be the best of the lot to lead this team. So as an outsider I have no problem playing him as long as he has the coaches confidence. Yes, after showing a great KC game in pre season, I can understand why I feel terrible seeing RW in regular games, but I am hoping he will reach his full potential soon.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Happypuppy":2oiwl8jt said:
The Hawks just need to do what they truly believe is the best for the team. When people were crying for CW they stood fast. If they believe that Wilson gives them the best chance to win this year I am all for it.

With all respect to those that continue to use CW as some sort of measuring stick...you should stop. Continue only if, the day we signed Flynn, you actually said...oh, good, another clipboard Jesus on the roster. If you didn't say that then, why say it now?

I think we all believe Flynn is better than CW, so this argument is nothing more than argument. It is true Flynn has spent his career carrying a clipboard. But he's done so for a team that over the years, has had an uncanny ability to find and develope QBs. Just the fact they kept Flynn on the sideline for that long at the 2 spot, tells me Flynn is the real deal. Steve Young carried a clipboard for awhile as well. So did Tom Brady. Flynn deserves a shot, if for no other reason, Wilson is not getting it done. Blame the receivers, blame the line, whatever...our current situation is not producing pts and if a change can change that...let change begin.

razor150

Reaction score
Scottemojo":jouztiil said:
Everybody knows more than coaches, and the backup always shits golden eggs. 2nd oldest story in sports. The oldest story in sports has to do with naked Greek wrestlers. Maybe another time.

Point to me a back up who has performed like Flynn in their chances at starting and I'll show you someone who has earned that respect. People talking down Flynn to protect Wilson is getting old and don't even have a good argument. The best you can say about Wilson is that he performed better in the pre-season, but pre-season doesn't mean squat.

jkitsune":jouztiil said:
LOL. "Veteran" Matt Flynn? Dude has been a backup for 4 years and starts 2 games and he's a "veteran?" He's every bit as unproven as Wilson at this point. And everyone focuses on whether he would have won one of those two lost games. But would he have lost won of the two games we won? Would we have beaten Green Bay with Matt Flynn at QB? How do we even know? How does anyone feel like they can say with any certainty how Flynn would perform? He had a great game that one time. He really did. But small sample sizes are small. They fluctuate wildly. Remember when Willie Bloomquist had an incredible September? Yes, I know, it's baseball, but the point stands.

You might have a point if Wilson hadn't been so outstanding bad to mediocre in the two wins and losses. We didn't win against the Packers or Cowboys because of Wilson, but we definately lost because of him not being able to move the ball through the air. With a little more offense we wouldn't have needed that last minute hail marry to beat the Packers.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
Pete Carroll painted into a corner. This decision will make or break him. He better have it right or we are starting over again

ivotuk

Reaction score
bestfightstory":3l4rqq1w said:
Technically, once you are past your rookie year you are a veteran. Jesus you guys.

And as we all know, James Carpenter offers a "veteran" presence on the offensive line!

docj78

Reaction score
Man............ Honestly, I think Matt Flynn probably WOULD do a good job, but what's a coach to do? None of us reside even part-time in PC's head. I can see where everyone is coming from on this issue, but do you really want to yank the rookie QB when we're 2-2 and the losses we had were close? Really close? Right now we're not getting blown out on the field, so I'm inclined to say patience is in order. I really like RW and consider myself on his wagon, yet I was really excited about Flynn coming to town. A part of me wishes Flynn would have started just to see, but oh well. The coaching staff has chosen a path, and now they get to travel it, while we watch from the sidelines.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
If not at 2-2 then when?

If we wait until we are mathematically eliminated then what's the point? It would make more sense then to just throw the season away for the sake of developing Wilson.

How do you think fans would feel if Wilson got injured after we were mathematically eliminated and Flynn came in and tore it up? If you think fans are upset now, they would be openly calling for Carroll's job if that happened.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
RichNhansom":249rsyvr said:
If not at 2-2 then when?

If we wait until we are mathematically eliminated then what's the point? It would make more sense then to just throw the season away for the sake of developing Wilson.

How do you think fans would feel if Wilson got injured after we were mathematically eliminated and Flynn came in and tore it up? If you think fans are upset now, they would be openly calling for Carroll's job if that happened.

If Flynn came in and tore it up, no one would care about Pete's job cause tearing it up = winning. Winning heals all wounds.

My guess is Wilson has to prove he can win this week. If we lose at Carolina, Flynn's starting at home next week against the Pats, fake sore elbow and all.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2cahzn0l said:
RichNhansom":2cahzn0l said:

If Flynn came in and tore it up, no one would care about Pete's job cause tearing it up = winning. Winning heals all wounds.

My guess is Wilson has to prove he can win this week. If we lose at Carolina, Flynn's starting at home next week against the Pats, fake sore elbow and all.

Really? You don't think people would be frustrated that we wasted a season?

I disagree and even worse, next year we would be faced with even more challenges. If Flynn did well in that scenario I would assume he would want to either be traded or guaranteed the starter spot the following year. If Wilson still was a question mark, what would be the best way to go? I get the feeling that Pete would want to stick to his mantra of competition and tell Flynn he would have to again fight for the job. I don't get the feeling that Flynn would be agreeable to that and would force a trade or hold out and to honest I wouldn't blame him.

Pete is going by his gut in thinking that Wilson will get it. He also went by his gut that Jackson would improve away from the chaos in Minnesota and that Whitehurst would blossom in our system. They don't always work out. If Wilson never becomes that QB we all hope he does and we burn Flynn, especially if Flynn were to have a few good games for us that exceeded anything Wilson had shown, it could be a major catalyst for his departure.

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
I'm of the opinion that the Seahawks passing offense lack of performance is a coaching problem as much as anything else. If one looks at Wilson in his college games, he was not a pocket QB. PC has seen fit to try and make him into a pocket QB and game manager, and that isn't what he is. PC is trying to put a square peg into a round hole. Wilson's abilities and his college successes are all as a mobile QB with evasive moves that can pass on the run. Why are they trying to change him?

I was under the impression that PC's wanted a running game offense with the use of "motion plays, bootlegs, screen passes and run/pass options" in the passing game that would keep defenses on their heels while having to respect the exceptional running game. Where is that? Turn the kid loose and let him actually use more of his skills rather than hold him back in favor of a running game and passing mostly on 3-rd downs if the running game doesn't produce a first down.
(Additionally, way too many penalties have stalled a lot of drives.)

If PC really wants a pocket QB, he should be starting Flynn as that is more of what he is, however if he still wants the potential of Wilson to come out, the system" needs to be adjusted some to accomodate Wilson's skills and strengths IMO.

FidelisHawk

Reaction score
I’ve mostly stayed out of this discussion because I have a serious bias against rookie QBs…

But I also have a bias against back-up QBs as well….

There lies my quandary inside an imbroglio… :?

grizbob

Reaction score
FidelisHawk":1mili78w said:
I’ve mostly stayed out of this discussion because I have a serious bias against rookie QBs…

I call your 2 biases and raise you 4 radials :mrgreen: :0190l:

FidelisHawk

Reaction score
grizbob":1jyftb71 said:
FidelisHawk":1jyftb71 said:

I call your 2 biases and raise you 4 radials :mrgreen: :0190l:

Well, in that case I’m afraid I’ll have to fold and take my quandary and my imbroglio with me, to my quagmire… :p