The Pats are likely to neutralize our defense.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
oasis":1yi8zf4j said:
Unfortunately, I would say the Pats and broncos are the only offenses in my opinion that can beat our D handily. Our D is designed with big DB's to overpower the downfield threats of the NFL. But with teams that specialize in short-game efficiency, I feel they can pick us apart. Remember the preseason game when Peyton Manning had those drives where he was able to move downfield at will? It's the same concept.

Therefore, I would say
-we are heavy underdogs next week, even at home
-the only way we can beat them is in either a shootout, or in playing "keep-away" or whatever you call it when we try to keep the ball away...

Maybe up in Foxboro or on a neutral field. Not in Seattle. It's going to be LOUD. The Patriots haven't come out this way since Matt Cassel was under center.

Not to mention, unlike teams they've had success against, we can shut down the run and make them very one dimensional. I think we matchup very well with the Patriots .. at least when the defense is on the field.

The offense? We won't go there.

BAllenHawk

Reaction score
He does do quick throws over the middle, and Green Bay was a little success with the same quick throws. You have to remember Arizona pretty much shut them down in New England. I like our chances defensively in the Clink, especially with a week to scheme against their quick throws and heavy TE sets. Seattle will need to do more offensively, because I don't see us keeping them out of the end zone though.

aku

Reaction score
If anyone can pick apart our defense it's the Pats. Our D is rock solid up front, on the edges, and deep, but we have an obvious weak spot in the middle. It seems like pretty much every time a team gashes us, that's where they're doing it. With Gronk, Welker, and possibly Hernandez and Edelman, they have plenty of guys to take advantage. You have to figure that the coaches are going to focus on that this week, though. They prepped really well for Newton, only allowing one good option and one solid scramble. Hopefully now that the middle will be at real risk (frankly, none of our opponents were really ready to exploit it), they'll shore it up.

rastahawk

Reaction score
The Packers came into our house with all the promise of being the best Offense in the league. They have never been the same after our defense laid the smackdown. The Pats two losses are to teams that bring the "D". Why shouldn't we then repeat that?

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
rastahawk":1ymxsf8g said:
The Packers came into our house with all the promise of being the best Offense in the league. They have never been the same after our defense laid the smackdown. The Pats two losses are to teams that bring the "D". Why shouldn't we then repeat that?

Brady will feel the pain this weekend! Beat on them until they cant compete any longer that's how you beat them!

SE174

Reaction score
The question is, will NE's OL be able to give Brady enough time to throw? They didn't against AZ. We get them in the CLink. Our D is better than AZ's, and we only have one less sack on the year. I say BRING IT!!!

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Now I'm going to qualify what I'm about to write by saying that New England IS a good offensive team and that Brady (obviously) is a future HOF'er. That said, I do believe that the Patriots are a bit overrated.

If one goes to the stats, you will find that the Patriots Offense is ranked #1 Overall in the NFL -- #1 in terms of passing yards/game (438.3) ... and #8 in rushing yards/game (144). BUT you have to qualify that a bit by asking, "Just WHO is it they have done all that against?" Here is a breakdown of the teams they have played thus far ...

Win at Tennessee 34-13 ...
The Titans defense is ranked 31st in overall (27th in Passing Yards/Game [285.0] ... and 27th in Rushing Yards/Game [136.5])
The Titans defense has given up 151 Points (MOST in the NFL)

Loss at home against Arizona 20-18 ...
The Cardinals defense is now ranked 28th overall (15th in Passing Yards/Game [231.0] ... and 16th in Rushing Yards/Game [103])
The Cardinals defense has given up 78 Points (9th Best in the NFL)

Loss at Baltimore 31-30 ...
the Ravens defense is ranked 21st overall (29th in Passing Yards/Game [295.8] ... and 13th in Rushing Yards/Game [94.5])
The Ravens defense has given up 83 Points (tied for 11th in the NFL)

Win at Buffalo 52-28 ...
the Bills defense is ranked 25th overall (23rd in Passing Yards/Game [269.5] ... and 28th in Rushing Yards/Game [137.0])
The Bills defense has given up 131 Points (30th in the NFL)

Win at home against Denver 31-21 ...
the Broncos defense is ranked 8th overall (13th in Passing Yards/Game [220.5] ... and 9th in Rushing Yards/Game [87.5]
The Broncos defense has given up 83 Points (tied for 11th in the NFL)

In contrast, the Seahawks defense ...
Has given up the 4th fewest yards (1103)
Is tied with Detroit for the 9th fewest Passing Yards/Game given up (213.0)
Is ranked #2 in fewest Rushing Yards/Game allowed [62.8]
and is 2nd in fewest points allowed (58, which is only 2 points -- our safety today -- behind Houston for a share of the #1 Spot).

Given that this one's at the CLINK and that the House will be Quaking ... I'd say we most definitely have a far better chance than a lot of National Experts out there are undoubtedly going to give us this week. ;)

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
We will win this Sunday. BOOK IT.

canzag

Reaction score
I like this matchup>going to be tough,Brady is a hall of fame QB but the D is hungry for him.The Pats D is not very good.If we can score 21 I think we can win.Not going to lie though.The thought of New England getting Welker vs Trufant in the slot matchup worries me.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
This will be on the rookies and particularly Wagner. Can he shut down the short middle? Irvin needs to have a great game and disrupt Brady's timing and Wilson is going to need to have his best game.

Can we play disciplined? Penalties could rapidly derail this game.

Did Welker play against AZ?

themunn

Reaction score
if we suck against the short passing game why'd we annhialate GB?

bellingerga

Reaction score
themunn":iy13f2jr said:

By annhilate you mean barely eek out a win?

I'm not complaining about a win, just calling you out on your choice of words here :stirthepot:

KARAVARUS

Reaction score
THIS is the game where the national media sees what's up in Seattloe. you know people are watching New England. This is our coming out party game. We saw glimpses of RW throwing all over the field this week. I don't doubt his abilities anymore--the kid is a baller. I say we beat them 28-17.

KARAVARUS

Reaction score
bellingerga":ai7sveho said:
themunn":ai7sveho said:

By annhilate you mean barely eek out a win?

I'm not complaining about a win, just calling you out on your choice of words here :stirthepot:

I thought the same thing, but denesively speaking, we did. As much as anyone in the past 3 years.

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
I actually think we are well suited to beat the Pats offense except if they go hurry up the entire game. That is our only weakness. We are dependent on personnel switching to make our defense go. Otherwise we can stuff the run, disrupt the short passing game, cover the deep passes and rush the QB - but only if we have the right guys in.

Otherwise -

1) They have no deep threat.

2) Their offensive line is good but not great.

3) They are depending on their run game to get first downs.

4) Their wrs are susceptible to being bumped off the line.

If Hernandez plays it definitely creates a mismatch for us but I am sure that we will deal with it.