Who's the worst player on the defense - how awesome is he?

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
  • Who's the worst player on this defense? Hard to say which four "start" on the line so let's say 12

Bryant
    Irvin
    Branch
    Mebane
    Clemons

Wright
    Hill
    Wagner

Sherman
    Browner
    Chancellor
    Thomas

I see some all-pros, I see some pro bowlers, and I see some above average. Nobody "bad." Nobody "average."
    We want the ball and we're gonna score.
    LawHawk
    NET Veteran

• These days you have to count the nickel package as well as the base defense since they see a similar number of snaps. If you do that then Tru would be the "worst" and he's still pretty good.
    "Pete Carroll brings in great elves...and they make the best presents."
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOT a Moderator

• Daaaaaamn! When you put it that way, it comes down to Hill or Branch and I have NO problems with Hill or Branch. Both those guys have been great.
    Richard Sherman doesn't just wanna get in your head, he wants to build a vacation home there.

R. Sherman: "I don't want to be an island. I want to be a tourist attraction. You come, I take your money & you go."
    SalishHawkFan
    NET Veteran

• Chancellor hasn't had as many bone crushing hits so far this year. I say until we get our .gif reels back from him, he's the dog. ;)
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

• Sarlacc83 wrote:Chancellor hasn't had as many bone crushing hits so far this year. I say until we get our .gif reels back from him, he's the dog. ;)

I think he's playing smarter. In the last few weeks I've seen him make hits that dislodge the ball but also are low enough not to draw a penalty. THey aren't OOOHH AHHHH hits, but he isn't getting penalyed either. So I think he's doing great. The PI against in GB was a joke.

I'd have to say Trufant in Nickle as our weakest link, but even then he's a saavy vet.
    jlwaters1
    NET Veteran

• I'd include Jones and Truf as well as Irvin in our "base 14"

And I reckon it comes down to Hill or Truf, but since Hill as a legitimate starter, he's the "worst" player, as he's likely to see more playing time.

And I'm totally cool with that (though I still think we could improve on him without too much difficulty)
    themunn
    NET Veteran

• That is one tough question. I just don't see "worst of the best" on that squad.

What is just crazy about it is the draft is where most of them came from outside of Clem, Branch, Browner (who is new to the NFL) and Jones.

Thomas
    Kam
    Sherman
    Wright
    Hill
    Bryant
    Irvin
    Mebane
    Wagner

Were all draft picks by the Hawks, 6 of them in the PC era. A bunch of guys with 3 years or less in the NFL. That is ridiculous.

These guys are playing lights out defense folks, even Clem looks like a bigger beast than he has since coming here. I just don't see a weakness for another team to expose, MAYBE forcing the linebackers to cover, but those guys are even doing that right along with Kam out there knocking the bowels out of TE's.

Wow...... Just wow..
    "The life you lose may be your own" - Drunk dude at the bar
    loafoftatupu
    I'M JIMMY!

• Sarlacc83 wrote:Chancellor hasn't had as many bone crushing hits so far this year. I say until we get our .gif reels back from him, he's the dog. ;)

He was huge against Dallas.

I'd like to think it's a combination of other players stepping up and Qb's not wanting to lay out their WRers over the middle to Kam.
    Give me some damn skittles...
    Basis4day
    NET Veteran

• Basis4day wrote:
    Sarlacc83 wrote:Chancellor hasn't had as many bone crushing hits so far this year. I say until we get our .gif reels back from him, he's the dog. ;)

He was huge against Dallas.

I'd like to think it's a combination of other players stepping up and Qb's not wanting to lay out their WRers over the middle to Kam.

I know. I was teasing.

Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

• Great question. I think it's Branch, but he's still doing his job, and fairly well.

The Trufant answer seems lazy. He's a good 3rd CB, period.
    @ryanadamdavis
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

• As long as we are bitching about our awesome defense, what was the deal with that Jeron Johnson Marcus Trufant overload blitz? On an otherwise great day, that blitz call was poorly times, orchestrated, and ill conceived. I'm not sure Trufant could tackle Cam Newton even if he did get to him. As soon as Seattle realized they had given away the element of surprise they have killed that call.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

• I'd say it was poorly exectuted. Trufant's always shown he' a good blitze (for a CB at least).

But, the way Browner's been physically dominating everyone, I'd REALLY like to see him get a crack at it.
    @ryanadamdavis
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

• Craig Terrill is clearly the worst player on our defense these days....
    jkitsune
    NET Veteran

• I agree you have to count Tru, and that he's the worst.

Thinking more about the backups - how many teams would Jeron Johnson be a starter? How many teams would he be the best safety on the team? Love that guy, and love that he's sitting on the bench because superstars are ahead of him in most packages.
    We want the ball and we're gonna score.
    LawHawk
    NET Veteran

• Doesn't this thread make you all long for the days of Brian Russell?

Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

• I remember getting SCOLDED and flamed for sayin Russell. To the point the old editor questioned if I sould even post anymore.
    @ryanadamdavis
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

• if we arent talking about starters i would say trufant
    hawkfan333
    NET Rookie

• Trufant.
    P-Rich fo life
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran

• Of the starters , Hill misses a lot of tackles.
    Happypuppy
    NET Veteran

• pehawk wrote:I remember getting SCOLDED and flamed for sayin Russell. To the point the old editor questioned if I sould even post anymore.

I remember this. You were pissed at Russell backing away from a tackle and wanted him cut immediately, and had to be talked down that he was keeping the play in front of him until Rocky Bernard could catch up from behind....

To be honest, I remember thinking Deon Grant and BRuss were HUGELY improved over the days of Boulware and whoever we had opposite Boulware on any given Sunday.
    jkitsune
    NET Veteran

• Happypuppy wrote:Of the starters , Hill misses a lot of tackles.

My guess is next draft that is addressed. Not them at I don't like Hill. I do. Was just thinking that during the game. I thought and do think he plays well.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

• Funny I was just thinking about how good this defense is across the board and I wondered who the worst player is. Low and behold someone posts a thread about it. Not that Hill is a bad player but currently I'd say he's the laggard. And to think in Holmy's last year and Mora's one only year there was nobody in the whole team that was a league star (or up and coming) at their position.
    rastahawk
    * Just Chillin' *

• jkitsune wrote:
    pehawk wrote:I remember getting SCOLDED and flamed for sayin Russell. To the point the old editor questioned if I sould even post anymore.

I remember this. You were pissed at Russell backing away from a tackle and wanted him cut immediately, and had to be talked down that he was keeping the play in front of him until Rocky Bernard could catch up from behind....

To be honest, I remember thinking Deon Grant and BRuss were HUGELY improved over the days of Boulware and whoever we had opposite Boulware on any given Sunday.

Still haven't changed my mind.

Oh, and keyboards on new laptops, BLOW.
    @ryanadamdavis
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

• pehawk wrote:
    jkitsune wrote:
    pehawk wrote:I remember getting SCOLDED and flamed for sayin Russell. To the point the old editor questioned if I sould even post anymore.

Still haven't changed my mind.

Oh, and keyboards on new laptops, BLOW.

Almost as bad as Boulware and Hamlin blew.
    seedhawk
    NET Veteran

• pehawk wrote:Great question. I think it's Branch, but he's still doing his job, and fairly well.

'Worst' isn't a good description. But Branch is definitely the least awesome. But that is NOT to mean he's not good, just not AS good.
    Jazzhawk
    * NET News Scoop *
    * NET News Scoop *

• The worst player on our D is any player from the O. They hurt our D more than the D does...right?
    Oh DonkoSpurt We Hardly Knew Ye!
    samwize77
    NET Veteran

• Counting only players from our base 4-3 defense (so not including Trufant, Johnson, Smith, etc), I'd say Leroy Hill. Hill has pretty much been the definition of average this season.

Chancellor is probably the 2nd "worst." He's still a good player, but this year he's more pedestrian whereas last year he was making plays everywhere. It could just be that our defense is so good now that he has less opportunities to make impact plays.

Jason Jones is the 3rd "worst" if you count him as a starter. He's not bad against the run, but so far he's looked like our 3rd best pass rusher at DT. Both Mebane and Branch have created more pressure. In my own observations, at least. Jones is an okay player, but I wouldn't bring him back for another $5 million if I was the GM. I'd definitely bring back Branch though, he can back up Mebane and play 3 tech too. I didn't think it was possible to have a more under-rated season coming off an under-rated season, but Branch is doing just that.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:18 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information