Wasn't Omiyale supposed to be the worst OL ever?

MysterMatt

Reaction score
I'm not advocating for him as a starter, but he's shown excellent versatility AND has been effective whenever called upon.

Perhaps he's just one of those guys who is a born backup. No matter what, he's been a solid pickup. Let's hope he's found his niche!

IBleedBlueAndGreen

Reaction score
MysterMatt":2tojsdmw said:
I'm not advocating for him as a starter, but he's shown excellent versatility AND has been effective whenever called upon.

Perhaps he's just one of those guys who is a born backup. No matter what, he's been a solid pickup. Let's hope he's found his niche!

I think this is the key. He has been effective in short stints on the field. However I suspect that if he had to play for an extended period of time his deficiencies would be more easily exposed.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
I always regretted letting Polumbus go, but it sounds like Omiyale is stepping into that role nicely.

YaktownHawK

Reaction score
I agree with you Matt, I no longer worry when Omiyale comes into the game. Actually I've kind of been relieved when he goes in which is kind of funny. But when you see all these mistakes being made and penalties being called it is nice to get relief mentally. So far he seems to be a solid pick up and much needed depth.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
He's played well. From what I saw he looked a bit better on the left side than on the right (could be totally off base here, just what I noticed). Solid backup. He's been clutch when we needed him.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I would actually like to see him start against the Patriots at RT.

Breno has hurt more than he's helped at this point, and the running game didn't miss a beat with him in there.

Throwdown

Reaction score
As long as Sean Locklear has a job in the NFL, I don't thing Franky-O has to worry about that.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
If Giacomini keeps being a moron on the field in regards to penalties, Omiyale will be a de facto starter, if Papa Pete keeps benching him for the stupid penalties.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
MysterMatt":2y24ffly said:

Totally agreed.

The dude came in on the right and from what I could see (paying some attention) he was more than acceptable. I think he did a fantastic job in Okung's place then gave Breno a much needed sit-down with Papa Pete.

If Breno gets a couple more 15yd, drive killing penalties, I don't have a problem with him starting. I really like Breno's fire and nastiness, but not to the level he takes it sometimes and frankly, the call that got him taken out looked kind of bad to me, in that it looked like they play was still running.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":88vqche9 said:
If Giacomini keeps being a moron on the field in regards to penalties, Omiyale will be a de facto starter, if Papa Pete keeps benching him for the stupid penalties.

Damn Roland... I used my "Papa Pete" name without even seeing yours. Doesn't that make it an automatic fitting name? Or am I just unaware of it's previous use?

seedhawk

Reaction score
Omiyale and McQuistan. We now have 2 "pork chop Womack's". Can both play multiple positions, and luckily, neither seem to have the injury bug.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
He has done pretty well for us so far. And I was one of those that wanted him gone early on.

aku

Reaction score
People mostly based their opinion of him on his time with other teams, I think. The problem there is that how good a guy is somewhere else has no real relation to how he plays under Tom Cable. Giacomini was supposed to suck too. Skill wise, that's obviously not the case. (Discipline wise, he's got work to do of course.) I think one of those analysis sites even said he was "one of the better run blockers in the league" at this point.

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
volsunghawk":1bm4x4ng said:
Omiyale was never the worst. Not as long as Alex Barron is alive.

Barron is bad, but no where near Kyle Williams' level. Anyone remember that guy? Started in week six of '09 against the Cards after both Big Walt and Locklear went down. Has NO place near an NFL field.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
loafoftatupu":2pim09h6 said:
Damn Roland... I used my "Papa Pete" name without even seeing yours. Doesn't that make it an automatic fitting name? Or am I just unaware of it's previous use?

I've been saying "Papa Pete" and "Uncle John" for more than a year. Not sure how you haven't noticed it before. I guess your subconscious did, at least; lol.

Latest posts