Who's the worst player on the defense - how awesome is he?

LawHawk

Reaction score
Who's the worst player on this defense? Hard to say which four "start" on the line so let's say 12

Bryant
Irvin
Branch
Mebane
Clemons

Wright
Hill
Wagner

Sherman
Browner
Chancellor
Thomas

I see some all-pros, I see some pro bowlers, and I see some above average. Nobody "bad." Nobody "average."

Sac

Reaction score
These days you have to count the nickel package as well as the base defense since they see a similar number of snaps. If you do that then Tru would be the "worst" and he's still pretty good.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Daaaaaamn! When you put it that way, it comes down to Hill or Branch and I have NO problems with Hill or Branch. Both those guys have been great.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Chancellor hasn't had as many bone crushing hits so far this year. I say until we get our .gif reels back from him, he's the dog. ;)

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":25ftd5n1 said:
Chancellor hasn't had as many bone crushing hits so far this year. I say until we get our .gif reels back from him, he's the dog. ;)

I think he's playing smarter. In the last few weeks I've seen him make hits that dislodge the ball but also are low enough not to draw a penalty. THey aren't OOOHH AHHHH hits, but he isn't getting penalyed either. So I think he's doing great. The PI against in GB was a joke.

I'd have to say Trufant in Nickle as our weakest link, but even then he's a saavy vet.

themunn

Reaction score
I'd include Jones and Truf as well as Irvin in our "base 14"

And I reckon it comes down to Hill or Truf, but since Hill as a legitimate starter, he's the "worst" player, as he's likely to see more playing time.

And I'm totally cool with that (though I still think we could improve on him without too much difficulty)

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
That is one tough question. I just don't see "worst of the best" on that squad.

What is just crazy about it is the draft is where most of them came from outside of Clem, Branch, Browner (who is new to the NFL) and Jones.

Thomas
Kam
Sherman
Wright
Hill
Bryant
Irvin
Mebane
Wagner

Were all draft picks by the Hawks, 6 of them in the PC era. A bunch of guys with 3 years or less in the NFL. That is ridiculous.

These guys are playing lights out defense folks, even Clem looks like a bigger beast than he has since coming here. I just don't see a weakness for another team to expose, MAYBE forcing the linebackers to cover, but those guys are even doing that right along with Kam out there knocking the bowels out of TE's.

Wow...... Just wow..

Basis4day

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":25ohzq59 said:

He was huge against Dallas.

I'd like to think it's a combination of other players stepping up and Qb's not wanting to lay out their WRers over the middle to Kam.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Basis4day":33rshonj said:
Sarlacc83":33rshonj said:

He was huge against Dallas.

I'd like to think it's a combination of other players stepping up and Qb's not wanting to lay out their WRers over the middle to Kam.

I know. I was teasing.

pehawk

Reaction score
Great question. I think it's Branch, but he's still doing his job, and fairly well.

The Trufant answer seems lazy. He's a good 3rd CB, period.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
As long as we are bitching about our awesome defense, what was the deal with that Jeron Johnson Marcus Trufant overload blitz? On an otherwise great day, that blitz call was poorly times, orchestrated, and ill conceived. I'm not sure Trufant could tackle Cam Newton even if he did get to him. As soon as Seattle realized they had given away the element of surprise they have killed that call.

pehawk

Reaction score
I'd say it was poorly exectuted. Trufant's always shown he' a good blitze (for a CB at least).

But, the way Browner's been physically dominating everyone, I'd REALLY like to see him get a crack at it.

jkitsune

Reaction score
Craig Terrill is clearly the worst player on our defense these days....

OP
OP
LawHawk

LawHawk

Reaction score
I agree you have to count Tru, and that he's the worst.

Thinking more about the backups - how many teams would Jeron Johnson be a starter? How many teams would he be the best safety on the team? Love that guy, and love that he's sitting on the bench because superstars are ahead of him in most packages.

pehawk

Reaction score
I remember getting SCOLDED and flamed for sayin Russell. To the point the old editor questioned if I sould even post anymore.

jkitsune

Reaction score
pehawk":ll6nfpx7 said:
I remember getting SCOLDED and flamed for sayin Russell. To the point the old editor questioned if I sould even post anymore.

I remember this. You were pissed at Russell backing away from a tackle and wanted him cut immediately, and had to be talked down that he was keeping the play in front of him until Rocky Bernard could catch up from behind....

To be honest, I remember thinking Deon Grant and BRuss were HUGELY improved over the days of Boulware and whoever we had opposite Boulware on any given Sunday.