EPL 2012-2013

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
InSuarezWeTrust":2882v3ep said:
Borini now out 3 months after foot surgery. Either the youngsters step up, or Stewart Downing has to become a goal factory. One of these is likely.

Honestly, I highly doubt Borini will be back in 3 months. I just can't see a broken foot healing that fast. I'd say he'll be back in 4 months at the earliest.

Hawkspur

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":1czmzkxw said:
Hard luck, Gatehawk.

Impressed by City today. Must be nice to have a striker of Dzeko's quality to bring on late in a game and nick two goals.

Glad Liverpool got the win. Loving the youth movement going on at Liverpool right now. Sterling is an absolute gem.

SAF is a hypocritial old git and I hate him. Ferdinand has every right to not wear that t-shirt after the farsical nature of how the FA 'dealt with' Terry. Load of old shite. No t-shirt will ever stop racism, and the FA isn't likely to stamp it out either.

Dzeko is really good. I wonder how much playing time Balotelli will get this season if the other strikers stay healthy. Liverpool are looking good. As well as Sterling, Suso looks the goods too.

I agree about Ferguson and the t-shirt nonsense. It seems that practically the only people not overly concerned about eliminating racism from football are the (Sweet) FA, UEFA and FIFA. And a whole bunch of numbnuts in Eastern Europe.

I've just got back from the Lane today, and am absolutely gutted that we missed out on Moutinho, not to mention Oscar. We really, really missed Dembele today. It was kind of hard to tell if Oscar, Hazard and Mata are the 2nd best midfield in football or if they exploited a poor showing from their Spurs counterparts. I suspect it was a little of both. I was absolutely gutted to find out that Bale and Dembele weren't playing. We really missed them. Huddlestone had a piss poor game. Sigurdsson looked out of his league in the first half but decent in the second. Gallas, despite his goal, had a tough game, and Friedel didn't have a great game by any means. Vertonghen is class, but should move back to the centre of defence as his lack of pace means he gets caught out in counter attacks. I think Nuaghton needs a game or two at right back to give Walker both a kick up the backside and a chance to get his head straight.

Defoe and Lennon are both playing their best football in years. I've never seen either of them put in half as much effort around the park as they have so far this season.

Despite the disappointment today I'm still pretty confident that this squad will be at least as good as last year's before the season is out.

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
It was an inexcusable performance by Arsenal on Saturday, I won't deny that. However I did see some reasons that may have played into the result. Chief among them is that Arsenal's players, at least to me, looked as if they were running through 6 feet of mud while wearing a lead vest, it didn't help that Arsenal had a substitution wasted when Oxlade left with an injury after coming on. Norwich looked more prepared and more energetic than Arsenal and they played better for the majority of the match. I can't really say Arsenal deserved to lose, but that's only because they did so little, they had the ball for around I think 3/4's of the game but had only 2 moments where they were remotely close to a clear chance to draw level because of the suffocating defense that the Canaries played with. What they did do certainly didn't warrant 3 points if they were going to get any points at all. They can not do this again if they want to challenge for the title. I will refuse to say it's over for them in that EPL title challenge, namely cause they were in a similar position last year, replace 1st place and Chelsea with 3rd place and Spurs, before the North London Derby, the main difference is more time to overcome the deficit and they've looked better this year than last, barring Saturday's facepalm performance.

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":ovdg1z47 said:
Chelsea just look unbeatable this season.

In the EPL at the very least, cause in Ukraine right now, they're looking like they're running around like chickens with their heads cut off.

Hawkspur

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":138gxnbe said:
Yeah, their European from is not so good. Nobody from the premier league seems to be doing much threatening in the CL this year.

Good.

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":2h6xxpo7 said:
Gatehawk":2h6xxpo7 said:
peachesenregalia":2h6xxpo7 said:
Chelsea just look unbeatable this season.

In the EPL at the very least, cause in Ukraine right now, they're looking like they're running around like chickens with their heads cut off.

Yeah, their European from is not so good. Nobody from the premier league seems to be doing much threatening in the CL this year.

Except Arsenal :D and United :pukeface: , though Arsenal have looked a bit shaky at times(not nearly as much as City and Chelsea), and United have only taken care of inexperienced opponents they should be beating.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Lot of Arsenal talk on ESPN right now, challenging Wenger, Gervinho, leadership and Wengers recent assertion that 4th is like a trophy.... interesting stuff really. Amazing what two consecutive losses can bring out from the media.

Peaches... derby weekend. Massive trip to Goodison

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Watching 1st half of Arsenal-QPR. Zeroes but the Gunners look a lot better with Wilshere on and Gervinho off. Sounds obvious I know but its revealing what Gervinhos negative impact has been on the Arsenal side. Not that's he's terrible (he has his flashes) but more about how little he contributes to Wengers vision.

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
It wasn't a world class match between Arsenal and QPR but I'll take the 3 points any day regardless of how it happened. I will not dispute weather or not Arteta was offside for the goal, it wasn't given and we have to accept that, I know that's hypocritical of me to say since I constantly think open goal scoring chances for Arsenal's opponents are offsides myself. As for the red card, I agree with the commentators who said it was a stupid retaliation. M'Bia should have just left Vermaelen alone, but no he chose to take a swing at Vermaelen and he got sent off for it and in a way cost his team the game. I do wish Cazorla had converted that open chance before Arteta's goal but he made the shot look more difficult than it was and at least we won't be wondering on what would happen if he had scored that.

It was awesome to see Wilshere return, not just to action but starting the match as well. Early in the 2nd half when Granero accidently stepped on Wilshere's ankle and he went down, you could tell that the air in the stadium got sucked out faster than a balloon popping. It's great that he was okay and that he made it the rest of the way to the point he was subbed out. Maybe he'll play on Wednesday but I kinda doubt he'd start if he does, but I hope to see him play more against Man U.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Speechless..... Suarez is cursed (classic Derby celebration though. Right up with Fowler). Liverpool draw another where three points was obvious

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
It was a disgraceful day for referees in the EPL, big games that have been overshadowed by blown and missed calls. And to make things "better", Howard Webb, Man U's favorite referee, has apparently been assigned to the Arsenal-Man U match on Saturday.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Gatehawk":11qlsicn said:
It was a disgraceful day for referees in the EPL, big games that have been overshadowed by blown and missed calls. And to make things "better", Howard Webb, Man U's favorite referee, has apparently been assigned to the Arsenal-Man U match on Saturday.

Arteta was offside, so was hernandez. A fan if either club should go on about their day and say thank you to FAs match officials, not worry about future calls

Of all the f----ing days for a Gunner fan to be complaining about refereeing in a game that hasn't even occurred...

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3rhakxxl said:
Gatehawk":3rhakxxl said:

Arteta was offside, so was hernandez. A fan if either club should go on about their day and say thank you to FAs match officials, not worry about future calls

Of all the f----ing days for a Gunner fan to be complaining about refereeing in a game that hasn't even occurred...

I'm taking Arteta's goal as a good fortune moment for Arsenal who had deserved a goal with all the chances they got, but it was stupid that the goal came from an alleged offsides position.(I say alleged cause it wasn't given) At least with the Arteta incident we could probably find a reason why it wasn't give, my theory is that the refs lost Arteta in the chaos that was happening in front of the goal, Chicharito's goal there isn't much to support him being onsides just like Suarez being offsides.

I also know I shouldn't be complaining about Webb before the match, but it'd be stupid to neglect the fact that every time Webb officiates a Man U match, something controversial or noteworthy happens.

Hawkspur

Reaction score
Ha ha! He's such a knob. Better celebration than 97.6% of the other goal celebrations though

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":x6y9lrlh said:
So....Gatehawk....not a good first half against Reading. I realise it's only the league cup, but man. Doesn't really look like a particularly weakened side Wenger's put out, either.

If they get knocked out here, that's not going to be good for Wenger, because the league cup is a decent opportunity for silverware for Arsenal. they won't win the CL and won't win the league. You're now left with the FA cup being your only hope, and most teams put out a strong side for that one. I understand there'll be fan outrage after another trophyless season, but will the board make any sort of change? Wenger makes them so much money, he's the kind of manager that a board dreams about having. Doesn't pay over the odds for big name players, is excellent at coaching up younger players and selling them at huge profits and plays an attractive style of football that get's them plenty of fan interest and TV time. However, the trophy drought is pretty alarming, even you have to admit. Just curious as to what the vibe is among arsenal fans at the moment.

1st half, yeah it was disgraceful. 2nd half, shades of Newcastle's comeback against Arsenal 2 years ago and Sweden's comeback against Germany earlier this month.

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
Walcott makes it 6-5 over Reading! CAN YOU BELIEVE IT!? And now Chamakh makes it 7-5!

Oh and League 2 side Bradford has upset Wigan in penalties.

Latest posts