Obomanu Out for the season - Kearse promoted

canzag

Reaction score
I have noticed Lane as a gunner a few times in limited action.I can see him and Maxwell as the 2 gunners moving forward.I expect to see Kearse in the lineup this week.I have a feeling that Edwards will not be ready.Big worry to me is that Obo new all WR positions SE,Flanker and slot.I dont trust Tate with that role and Martin is not good enough and its Kearse first game action

drdiags

Reaction score
Welcome SeahawkGeoff. Hope you enjoy yourself exchanging posts with fellow Seahawks fans and rivals that visit.

Hawkadeus

Reaction score
Hmmm. Sounds like Obo isn't happy about going on IR:

Ben Obomanu ‏@obo87
Thks everyone for the bday wishes and prayers for my injury. It's not as bad as it seems. The seahawks just didn't wait 4 me to get healthy.

Ben Obomanu ‏@obo87
Could've played w/cast, but... I'll be fine in a few weeks. I'll come bck like I always do. Hopefully with @ least an opptnty 2 contribute

kearly

Reaction score
It's possible that the Seahawks are using their 53rd roster spot for a tryout rotation just like they did with their 7th and 8th PS spots earlier in the year. Maybe Kearse gets some looks in real games for a couple weeks and then they try Tuinei, etc.

Whatever ends up happening, I'm glad that Kearse got his name called. He barely played in the preseason because of an injury, but when he did, he looked polished. If he can beat his drop problem from college, I could easily see him making it as an NFL WR. He's good at everything else. Further, Keith Price has really suffered this year in his absence. There are a lot of factors that go into it, but seeing Price roll outside and ALWAYS throw the ball away, I can't help but think that Kearse's savvy presence is being missed at UW.

Hawkadeus

Reaction score
I say give Kearse a look. He's got to have more upside than Charly Martin.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
kearly":1ffefuue said:
It's possible that the Seahawks are using their 53rd roster spot for a tryout rotation just like they did with their 7th and 8th PS spots earlier in the year. Maybe Kearse gets some looks in real games for a couple weeks and then they try Tuinei, etc.

Whatever ends up happening, I'm glad that Kearse got his name called. He barely played in the preseason because of an injury, but when he did, he looked polished. If he can beat his drop problem from college, I could easily see him making it as an NFL WR. He's good at everything else. Further, Keith Price has really suffered this year in his absence. There are a lot of factors that go into it, but seeing Price roll outside and ALWAYS throw the ball away, I can't help but think that Kearse's savvy presence is being missed at UW.

Interesting points about Kearse, as I don't know much about him.

Tuinei can't be signed as he's with a CFL team now.

LudwigsDrummer

Reaction score
Bring back Deon Butler.

A little guys that is a burner, knows the system, and has good hands.

Butler>Kearse.

SharkHawk

Reaction score
Interesting to see Jordan Shipley mentioned as getting a tryout with the Texans. I am blown away that he's not currently with a team. I was highly impressed with him in college and was just certain he'd be on an NFL roster for a long time. The guy just had "3rd down possession receiver for 12 seasons" written all over him. Not huge, but strong, great hands, good quickness (not straight line speed), but a guy who will go get the ball. I guess he really reminded me of a Paul Skansi/Bobby Engram type. I wouldn't be averse to taking a flyer on him for a couple of weeks if he is healthy. I can't imagine him not playing well unless he's just hurt or totally disinterested in playing in the NFL.

The one guy I'd love to have right now is the guy who gave up on football... Jeff Samardzjia (sp?). That kid was a darn good receiver at Notre Dame, and I thought he'd be a Randy Moss type talent in the NFL, without all of the headaches since Jeff seems to have his head screwed on straight. He made the right choice by playing baseball since he'll have a longer career, have less damage to his body, and will have a big fat pension from the MLB players union as long as he gets enough service time in. The guys who cut out on baseball and go back to college football are the ones who realize they aren't going to get their pension years in (See Weeden, Brandon).

hawker84

Reaction score
Hawkadeus":2excvp42 said:
I say give Kearse a look. He's got to have more upside than Charly Martin.

i don't see why you say that, all i saw in the pre season was charlie martin and kearse making plays.. i'm a coug so i didn't see a lot of kearse in college, didn't see all the easy drops... but i did see good catches in pre season, and charlie marting, that little dude's got heart... i say give it a shot...

Chapow

Reaction score
Bummer about Obo, IMO he contributes more to the team than most people realize and is quite versatile. He has always performed at least adequately (and sometimes very well) when our starters have gone down and we needed him to fill in.

Kearse? I dunno, the dude is just sooo frustrating to watch. Almost Braylon Edwardsesque in his ability to make crazy freak circus catches one minute and then have a perfectly thrown ball bounce right off his hands the next minute. I hope he can fix it, seems like a focus issue to me, but he never fixed it in college.

I'd like to see the team give a look to both Jordan Shipley and Greg Salas. I was pretty high on both of these guys coming out of college, especially Salas.

HansGruber":2it6wujr said:
We lost both games the last two weeks (SF & DET) because of dropped passes.

We lost to SF because of dropped passes, absolutely.

We lost to Detroit because our D had a pretty bad day and our normally very bad 3rd down defense was downright horrible.

Hawkadeus

Reaction score
Reading Obo's tweets the other day, I felt for him with the Hawks not waiting a couple weeks to get better. But given the fact that our only healthy wr's this week are Rice, Tate, Martin, and Kearse, YIKES! I understand now.

Bakergirl

Reaction score
Well Kearse here's your golden opportunity knocking...Just remember it's not preseason anymore.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Hawkadeus":w2y7dgw7 said:
Reading Obo's tweets the other day, I felt for him with the Hawks not waiting a couple weeks to get better. But given the fact that our only healthy wr's this week are Rice, Tate, Martin, and Kearse, YIKES! I understand now.

Based on what Obo has contributed this year, I'd say that his chances of making the team next year are slim.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Hawkadeus":2xk3tpi9 said:

That's the business. It's nothing personal.

Jville

Reaction score
If Pete's pet, the golden child, can somehow become cognizant of the need to block for teamates consistantly, there is plenty of additional yardage built into the existing pass schemes. The golden child has been pulled off the field of play for failure to block. Kearse and others should benefit from better blocking support than what Obomanu experienced.

Teamates blocking for each other is a key theme. It's why Deon Butler is no longer with us and why even the golden child is so closely supervised this year.

This year, reliable blocking is mandatory. It is no longer an option.

SeahawkGeoff

Reaction score
drdiags":2bd3q53j said:
Welcome SeahawkGeoff. Hope you enjoy yourself exchanging posts with fellow Seahawks fans and rivals that visit.

Thanks for the warm welcome. Been reading through the posts and getting a lot of great insight.

Chapow":2bd3q53j said:
I'd like to see the team give a look to both Jordan Shipley and Greg Salas. I was pretty high on both of these guys coming out of college, especially Salas.

Now this is something I like to see. I wonder why Salas didn't catch on with the Rams. If memory serves me correct, I think he had some really bad drops early on last year, but then again St. Louis had a lot of that last year. Still Salas or Shipley could be great 3rd down relief value type receivers.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Jville":3iiw7muo said:
If Pete's pet, the golden child, can somehow become cognizant of the need to block for teamates consistantly, there is plenty of additional yardage built into the existing pass schemes. The golden child has been pulled off the field of play for failure to block. Kearse and others should benefit from better blocking support than what Obomanu experienced.

Teamates blocking for each other is a key theme. It's why Deon Butler is no longer with us and why even the golden child is so closely supervised this year.

If you want a blocking WR then Lavasier Tuinei is your man. Blocking is more important then catching and scoring TD's for Oregon wide receivers.

Jville

Reaction score
JSeahawks":3cqtwlwi said:
Jville":3cqtwlwi said:

If you want a blocking WR then Lavasier Tuinei is your man. Blocking is more important then catching and scoring TD's for Oregon wide receivers.

I'm probably a typical fan. I want it all. LOL

SharkHawk

Reaction score
It's unfortunate for Obo that in the last round of negotiations that the NFL Players didn't get much larger rosters and a system that matches baseball and basketball for injury situations. I believe in the last round baseball was able to get a 5 day DL designation put in, and they can use it retroactively on a guy who happens to heal up quickly (which is especially good for a starting pitcher who is up in the rotation). I just think footballs rules on injuries have always been way too strict as far as the guy is out for the entire season, or he is cut. It's beneficial to the owners financially, but as far as team building goes, it would make more sense to be able to keep guys around for a bit and be able to use different designations. This really does screw Obo as far as playing this year goes (and thus his chances of making a living next season), but those are the rules. They don't have the option to put him on the 15 day DL, or to keep him on the roster because they have 60 roster spots and can just wait it out for him to get healthy.

Face it... it's an injury filled sport. Just turn the practice squad spots into normal roster spots and keep the gameday rosters at the same size. That way you can have 60+ guys on the roster. I'd say 63 is about right and makes sense. It will lead to less injuries if you increase gameday rosters by even a couple of players. Let's see the owners and commissioner walk the walk on that one. Would they be admitting that an 18 game schedule is stupid and that guys aren't suffering traumatic brain injuries if they let teams suit up way more players on Sunday for additional rotations and giving guys breathers? Too many times I've seen a guy have to play hurt because a team is OUT of players at a particular position on gameday. That doesn't happen in baseball because they have 25 guys on the roster (+ - depending on the time of year).

Latest posts